Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Duck_King posted:

So a few weeks ago a few people were claiming that there is no difference from the RPK-12 and the RPK-74, aside from the 12 having something like 13 more rounds in the magazine. After spending quite some time with both, I can say this is false. I've been running both with a kobra sight, 2x magnifier, heavy barrel, and angled grip, and the 74 is far more accurate after the first few rounds. I daresay outside of a heavy barrel and deployed bipod, it's probably one of the more accurate LMGs after 3 or 4 rounds. The thing is just a death laser, and the fact that it looks cool as hell doesn't hurt either.

http://symthic.com/bf4-compare?RPK-74M_vs_RPK-12

It is the only mag fed LMG with a FSRM lower than 1 and it has the lowest spread increase out of all the LMGs, probably even the lowest of all the weapons in the game. So basically its always more accurate than the RPK-12. Still not a death laser or that good of a weapon though.

edit: unless you meant that the first 3-4 rounds are more accurate, then we agree.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Sparticle posted:

Other people are good at the game and I don't know how to use a stinger so this vindicates my abuse of a glitch that shits up the game for an entire team.

I'm curious to know how many people actually believe/think like this. Because I would bet it's a loving lot.

Edit: I know that other dude's post was retarded but a LB pilot that goes 50-4 has killed a bunch of enemy players preventing them from capping flags, because you cannot cap from your spawn screen which is helping your team win. This is such a simple concept my god.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 29, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fknlo posted:

Awesome, I can't seem to join any servers right now. It's cycling between the Game disconnected: could not join server and some message saying it couldn't communicate with BF4 close it in the task manager.

Does your Origin need to update? I got the couldn't communicate error, and it's updating currently.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Does your Origin need to update? I got the couldn't communicate error, and it's updating currently.

It didn't show that it did, but restarting it got an update rolling. Thanks!

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Sparticle posted:

Other people are good at the game and I don't know how to use a stinger so this vindicates my abuse of a glitch that shits up the game for an entire team.

Well this is not at all what I'm saying. Shooting down the MAV is very doable, shooting down the repping LB by yourself is a nightmare. Engies shooting at lased targets is the exception, not the rule. I have never seen an LB without 2 repping engies, it's the rule.

Yes, MAVLAM is an exploit by the letter of it, but in my opinion not the spirit. To say that it's on the same level as a paid ESP hack is loving ridiculous.

Edit: I'm not saying that someone going 50-4 should be considered exploiting either, I've been one of those repping engies and it's fun as hell flinging Stingers or Javs from our in-chopper ammo box. All I'm saying is that the MAVLAM is much less egregious than people are making it out to be.

VVVVVV: Once again, I've had my MAV locked down by bullet spam. It's not unbeatable. Again, it can't do any damage if nobody shoots at what you're lasing (which going by the thread is the norm.)

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 29, 2014

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Target Practice posted:

I'm sorry, but in my opinion MAVLAMing is waaaaaaay less bullshit then some rear end in a top hat in an LB or attack jet that goes 50-4 cause you're team loving sucks. I've had my MAV repetedly shot/sniped out of the air, so it's much, much easier to beat than a decent aircraft pilot.

Not to mention that it helps other people on the team. That LB rear end in a top hat isn't directly giving points to the rest of the team. The MAVLAM does that, if said team is smart enough to pick up launchers.

Hacks and exploits loving suck because they make the game unfun for everyone and breaks the game. The MAVLAM doesn't do either of those.

Having a flying designator that is also immune to guided weapons and is also impossible for any ground vehicle to outrun once they have been designated is neither unfun or gamebreaking? Sure thing.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

DonkeyHotay posted:

Having a flying designator that is also immune to guided weapons and is also impossible for any ground vehicle to outrun once they have been designated is neither unfun or gamebreaking? Sure thing.

Impossible to outrun? You ever actually used the mav?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Impossible to outrun? You ever actually used the mav?

Have you? Fly higher while chasing them to maintain the lock. Only dirt bikes / other air vehicles can easily escape the wrath. Also I have never been shot down while lasing stuff once I get way up high. It can be really hard to take out the MAV once its high up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 29, 2014

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

http://symthic.com/bf4-compare?RPK-74M_vs_RPK-12
Still not a death laser or that good of a weapon though.

I must disagree. I think it's a great LMG.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

poo poo, I just spent most of a round on Golmud hiding in a collapsed building at B driving the EOD bot around. Final total: 2 tanks, 1 MAA, 1 Arty and like 6 snipers. Hilarious. Oh and 3 Conquest ribbons for recapturing B just by being there.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Target Practice posted:

Well this is not at all what I'm saying. Shooting down the MAV is very doable, shooting down the repping LB by yourself is a nightmare. Engies shooting at lased targets is the exception, not the rule. I have never seen an LB without 2 repping engies, it's the rule.

Yes, MAVLAM is an exploit by the letter of it, but in my opinion not the spirit. To say that it's on the same level as a paid ESP hack is loving ridiculous.

Edit: I'm not saying that someone going 50-4 should be considered exploiting either, I've been one of those repping engies and it's fun as hell flinging Stingers or Javs from our in-chopper ammo box. All I'm saying is that the MAVLAM is much less egregious than people are making it out to be.

VVVVVV: Once again, I've had my MAV locked down by bullet spam. It's not unbeatable. Again, it can't do any damage if nobody shoots at what you're lasing (which going by the thread is the norm.)

One guy using a MAVLAM can effectively render all the enemy vehicles useless without any repercussions. How do you think this is fine? Do you think vehicles have no place in battlefield? Why would you rather stare at things instead of shooting mans? Do you enjoy ruining the experience of 32 people who would rather play the game fairly?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does the M249 not count as an LMG for unlocking stuff? Because I wanna try that RPK and should have six ribbons, but the assignment doesn't show them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

Does the M249 not count as an LMG for unlocking stuff? Because I wanna try that RPK and should have six ribbons, but the assignment doesn't show them.

It should. Get the mortar kill first as that doesn't carry over from round to round? or something stupid like that and the other CR assignments. Then try to get the 3 ribbons in the rest of the round. Op Locker is the easiest for this.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Found a new way to die last night - Guy riding towards me on a motorbike, so I start shooting of course, he jumps off about 15 metres away and the bike nails me.

Probably one of the classiest ways I've been killed so far.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It should. Get the mortar kill first as that doesn't carry over from round to round? or something stupid like that and the other CR assignments. Then try to get the 3 ribbons in the rest of the round. Op Locker is the easiest for this.

Doesn't it usually state when it's "in a round"?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Since we're all posting handles, my IGN is CM_Kruger.

Also I find it amusing that they're including grenade unlocks as part of the care package deal, anybody other than a useless hill wookie should have them unlocked by level 10.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

IIRC the kill ribbons are cumulative, like the jet fighter ones for the UCAV, it's just that any from before China Rising don't count.

Also speaking of jets, I've gotta thank whoever said to bind spacebar to pull up, it's really made it easier to use the fighter.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC the kill ribbons are cumulative, like the jet fighter ones for the UCAV, it's just that any from before China Rising don't count.

I've only played since after CR.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Neif posted:

Found a new way to die last night - Guy riding towards me on a motorbike, so I start shooting of course, he jumps off about 15 metres away and the bike nails me.

Probably one of the classiest ways I've been killed so far.

Ghost riding is one of the more embarrassing ways to get killed. You can do it to teammates who refuse to move from their sniper spots if you really wanted to.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Player appreciation month does absolutely nothing of value for anyone who already has the unlocks they want, which is pretty much everyone who's been playing consistently since launch. The only people who'll benefit from it are the people who threw their hands up in the air and walked away from the game months ago. The only unlock I want is the survival knife and I can't get it because I can't get any more gold battlepacks except for the monthly premium one. Feeling super appreciated right now.

Show me some appreciation by giving me the loving F2000.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
The MAV is laughibly easy to shoot down. The fact that it stays alive as long as it does it part of why I find this currently unrecognized bug so hilarious. Let me give you a list of the things that shoot down my MAV on a regular basis:
  • MAAs
  • Stealth jets
  • Attack jets
  • Attack helicopter gunners
  • Little birds
  • Transport helicopter gunners
  • Rib boat gunners
  • Attack boats
  • Attack boat gunners
  • Stationary guns
  • Infantry with LMGs
  • Infantry with assault rifles
  • Infantry with carbines
  • Infantry with PDWs
  • Infantry with pistols
The MAV trick doesn't work on me because I have mastered the secret technique of first checking to make sure I'm not holding a MANPAD and then pointing whatever is in my hand at the MAV and firing. Yesterday a team tried to counter MAV my team and I took it out with my PDW with a three to four round burst. Anyone that thinks this is unstoppable or on par with actually cheating with a hack is just wrong.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ok just added about 80 goons, if anyone who I somehow missed cares to, my Origin id is sticksy4312

Grey Fox, would it be useful if I put together a Google doc (similar to the emblem doc) of the various goons' names, their respective Origin id, and maybe timezone/hours for the OP? Since Origin to my knowledge doesn't allow platoons etc, that might be more effective than people randomly posting our IDs every 5 pages.

edit - along the same lines, could we decide on the best Mumble server? I've bounced between KFS (which seems to be empty 95% of the time for BF purposes) but mainly in the Camping the Stairs server. It'd be good if there was a go-to server for this imo.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 29, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Let me give you a list of the things that shoot down my MAV on a regular basis:
:psyduck:

How low are you guys flying? You can be up real high and still lase things and spot doritos for your team. The thing that gets me most of the time are jets or sometimes a chopper.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The MAV is laughibly easy to shoot down. The fact that it stays alive as long as it does it part of why I find this currently unrecognized bug so hilarious. Let me give you a list of the things that shoot down my MAV on a regular basis:
  • MAAs
  • Stealth jets
  • Attack jets
  • Attack helicopter gunners
  • Little birds
  • Transport helicopter gunners
  • Rib boat gunners
  • Attack boats
  • Attack boat gunners
  • Stationary guns
  • Infantry with LMGs
  • Infantry with assault rifles
  • Infantry with carbines
  • Infantry with PDWs
  • Infantry with pistols
The MAV trick doesn't work on me because I have mastered the secret technique of first checking to make sure I'm not holding a MANPAD and then pointing whatever is in my hand at the MAV and firing. Yesterday a team tried to counter MAV my team and I took it out with my PDW with a three to four round burst. Anyone that thinks this is unstoppable or on par with actually cheating with a hack is just wrong.

Justifications of exploits don't change the fact that they're exploits.

If you want similar functionality, the SUAV exists for precisely this reason.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Smegmatron posted:

Player appreciation month does absolutely nothing of value for anyone who already has the unlocks they want, which is pretty much everyone who's been playing consistently since launch. The only people who'll benefit from it are the people who threw their hands up in the air and walked away from the game months ago.

That's kind of the point. They should really just call it "We hosed up please come back" month.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Smegmatron posted:

Once again until Dice at the very minimum nuts up and lists this as a bug I'm not going to care.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I like to chase MAVs with my knife. Granted, I only have one confirmed kill so far, but I expect more before the month is out.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Smegmatron posted:

It is an exploit, but the SUAV is a joke. Want to counter it? Stay still for two seconds as it flies by, then runs out of battery.

They could actually make MAVLAM somewhat balanced, make you hold a button down to lase and while its lasing it shows a laser like the SOFLAM and PLD do, and making it so it only has a limited amount of laser juice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

It is an exploit, but the SUAV is a joke. Want to counter it? Stay still for two seconds as it flies by, then runs out of battery.

They could actually make MAVLAM somewhat balanced, make you hold a button down to lase and while its lasing it shows a laser like the SOFLAM and PLD do, and making it so it only has a limited amount of laser juice.

Just make it so it has to be within x range of the soflam. Oh, you moved too far away and lost the uplink. Boom, problem solved.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

edit: or that ^^^^. Essentially give you another chance to laser designate a target within X radius of the soflam, albeit from another angle.

wyoak posted:

Yea the SUAV is pretty terrible. It moves way too fast to effectively designate something. The limited battery life doesn't help either.

Another possible solution if they decide to keep the MAVLAM is to make it immobile while designating a target. This should help keep it from chasing a designated target around the map and give the target a chance to break the lock, while still being effective due to the fact that its airborne and probably hundreds of meters in the air.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Horray for player appreciation month, the shortest month of the year. I look forward to Jay Carney levels of bullshit from Dev Chat as well as more useless battlepacks and unlocks I don't even need anymore. I think we can all agree that an actual effort with some imported BC2 rush maps or something would be welcome by everybody.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone excited about "Player Appreciation Month"? No? Me neither.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Anyone excited about "Player Appreciation Month"? No? Me neither.

I'm excited by the prospect of not needing to grind pistols to unlock pistols.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

WirelessPillow posted:

I'm excited by the prospect of not needing to grind pistols to unlock pistols.

Pistols aren't a grind, they are a way of life...

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Once again until Dice at the very minimum nuts up and lists this as a bug I'm not going to care.

Hiding in the walls on Locker isn't a glitch because Dice didn't put out a press release explicitly calling it a glitch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It'd be cool if they internalized this somehow. It's clearly a glitch but it's got people playing as a team :toot:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record I have spent the majority of my bf4 time playing engy. Outside of the "aplha" I have hit hardly any laser designated targets even with this mavlam bug.

I never expect or even look for lased targets.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

sticksy posted:

Grey Fox, would it be useful if I put together a Google doc (similar to the emblem doc) of the various goons' names, their respective Origin id, and maybe timezone/hours for the OP? Since Origin to my knowledge doesn't allow platoons etc, that might be more effective than people randomly posting our IDs every 5 pages.

They mentioned platoons coming back in the Player Appreciation Month post.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

Player appreciation month does absolutely nothing of value for anyone who already has the unlocks they want, which is pretty much everyone who's been playing consistently since launch. The only people who'll benefit from it are the people who threw their hands up in the air and walked away from the game months ago. The only unlock I want is the survival knife and I can't get it because I can't get any more gold battlepacks except for the monthly premium one. Feeling super appreciated right now.

Show me some appreciation by giving me the loving F2000.

This is fine by me, loads of people detest the unlock grind but might enjoy just playing just playing conquest. It will keep the player base high which is good for every one.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
I'm really only looking forward to the inevitable stream of howlers that come from DevChat. They can't even get their poo poo together well enough to release a DLC on PC and PS4 that already exists on Xbone platform for "player appreciation" month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Duck_King posted:

I must disagree. I think it's a great LMG.
It's not. The MG4 is a great LMG. The M240B is a great LMG. If you're not using those when in the LMG category, you could be doing much, much better.

• Locked thread