Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Midrena posted:

I started playing a couple weeks(ish) ago and I am so in love with my mesmer, it's crazy. She is incredibly fun to play, and taking part in the champion killing (Spider Queens, Alchemist, Toxic Wurm) in Kessex Hills when the previous Living Story was there also drilled the importance of dodging into my skull. I know how to dodge so well now. I've made a couple alts but I haven't played them much (they're both level 5), because I just adore my mesmer. :3: She's level 58 now. If I'm careful and patient, I can (slowly) chip away at some champion mobs with her if no one's around to help complete the event.

I was poking around on the wiki and looking up legendaries just to kind of drool over them, and I saw the Dreamer for the first time. I think I paused for five whole seconds staring at its effect. It's so ... I mean, I didn't expect a rainbow pony shooting out of the bow.

And now I kind of want it. :v: Though of course I can't use it on my mesmer (so more for an alt). Then again, it's not like I'd ever be able to get any legendary ever, but they're all nice to look at I suppose!

Kudzu is amazing, but so are most legendaries.
My mesmer has Sunrise, Bolt, and Quip.

I just need a legendary trinket to buy so I can have more particle effects and look pretty because that's the only reason I play this dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

All legendaries are pretty. Except the focus, which looks dumb. And the underwater ones.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 29, 2014

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

My mesmer has Sunrise, Bolt, and Quip.

You're my hero. :allears:

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

MooCowlian posted:

All legendaries are pretty. Except the focus, which looks dumb. And the underwater ones.

Hey Frenzy (the speargun) is very pretty, you just hardly ever get to see it.

(I may be a bit biased)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe. I'm a guardian so spearguns are beneath me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Midrena posted:

Then again, it's not like I'd ever be able to get any legendary ever, but they're all nice to look at I suppose!

You say that, but I thought the same thing, and now I'm about 100 materials and 2 dungeon runs away from my first legendary.

Hey, I may not have as much time/dedication as other people to get multiple legendaries, but I'll be chuffed with my one.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Midrena posted:

I was poking around on the wiki and looking up legendaries just to kind of drool over them, and I saw the Dreamer for the first time. I think I paused for five whole seconds staring at its effect. It's so ... I mean, I didn't expect a rainbow pony shooting out of the bow.

And now I kind of want it. :v: Though of course I can't use it on my mesmer (so more for an alt). Then again, it's not like I'd ever be able to get any legendary ever, but they're all nice to look at I suppose!

Don't worry you can still get some fun, cheap AND good looking named Exotic's! Some even with unique effects!

For example the Cobalt is a dirt cheap flaming blue greatsword that flames on once you pull it out.

For underwater this spear Nitro might not look like much (okay, it sill looks funny as hell looking sharp stick with dynamite around it) but it also creates small explosions every time your critical hit.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
The Jotun Greatsword has particle effects and only costs a couple hundred karma.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

ijyt posted:

You say that, but I thought the same thing, and now I'm about 100 materials and 2 dungeon runs away from my first legendary.

Hey, I may not have as much time/dedication as other people to get multiple legendaries, but I'll be chuffed with my one.

Yeah, the components needed are a crazy to-do list, and I've always gotten satisfaction from ticking off items as I go so maybe I'll save up some stuff here and there, see how it goes. Not sure it would be feasible for me to achieve.

BexGu posted:

Don't worry you can still get some fun, cheap AND good looking named Exotic's! Some even with unique effects!

For example the Cobalt is a dirt cheap flaming blue greatsword that flames on once you pull it out.

Ussr posted:

The Jotun Greatsword has particle effects and only costs a couple hundred karma.

Those are lovely! The mention about named weapons made me search for a list, and you're right BexGu, there's a ton of great-looking weapons with cool effects. (Link to the wiki list for anyone interested.)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
You may find this a bit easier to browse:

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

This. Google "x gw2 skins" where x is the weapon you want, click the dulfy link. Your world will be filled with pretty weapons you will never afford.

forkbucket posted:

You're my hero. :allears:

Your sarcasm is hurtful.

Isorenieratane posted:

(I may be a bit biased)

Both of the aquatic legendaries are really pretty, but there's no real point in having them.

e: vvv I'm really glad that that joke isn't dead.

Astryl fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
You say that now but my uncle at Blizzard has hinted that the big upcoming patch is 2 ocean zones and a water dragon.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Isorenieratane posted:

(I may be a bit biased)

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Both of the aquatic legendaries are really pretty, but there's no real point in having them.

Be a Warrior, use the Shark Spear. Have giant sharks pop on EVERY crit (except skill 3).

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Dinictus posted:

Be a Warrior, use the Shark Spear. Have giant sharks pop on EVERY crit (except skill 3).

That would mean maining a warrior after all the work I've done on my mesmer.

CANT DO IT BOSS.

e: Do you seriously only get to see sharks when you get crits? That makes me sad.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

That would mean maining a warrior after all the work I've done on my mesmer.

CANT DO IT BOSS.

e: Do you seriously only get to see sharks when you get crits? That makes me sad.

Sorry boss. It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Visidan posted:

You say that now but my uncle at Blizzard has hinted that the big upcoming patch is 2 ocean zones and a water dragon.

I kinda think someone should make an underwater MMO and call it Water World. It can't do any worse than the movie!

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Dinictus posted:

Sorry boss. It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Whelp, now I know what legendary I'm getting next.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mattavist posted:

The story stuff they're talking about takes place in an instance that starts north of the LA docks.

After looking around for a while I can't seem to find this. Do you have to have done super titbot first? I keep missing the times when that starts.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I made Bolt and then sold it off ages ago. Just casually aiming for one now and collecting stuff while I wait for the precursor scavenger hunt which will remove a huge chunk of the cost.

The real question is what one do I get? Or do I wait for the next series of them? I was set on Bifrost for my Guardian but the unicorn footprints are so pretty, and Thief is my main. I'm just scared that I'll build Dreamer and then get sick of it quickly.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chumbler posted:

After looking around for a while I can't seem to find this. Do you have to have done super titbot first? I keep missing the times when that starts.

It's the yellow swirl on the map. The instance entrance is actually near the beach next to the ports.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

chumbler posted:

Do you have to have done super titbot first? I keep missing the times when that starts.

You have to participate and finish the event, but you don't need to be successful.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Your sarcasm is hurtful.

Uhm, not being sarcastic. That's my dream weapons set-up. But I'm only like 15% towards Sunrise (and that's only the cheap 15% :( ).

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Dinictus posted:

Also, "Brahaaam, this creepy human is following me!" was solid gold.

But yeah, outside of Taimi, things're too angsty, too serious, and some things're just eye-roll inducing. Rytlock's first line delivery not at all sounding like Rytlock and then breaking into his usual snarl and low tone is just bad. Kasmeer's drat teddy is dumb. And Rox and Braham's little exchange, christ. It's that I mostly main a charr and care about MUH IMMERSION :byodood: and Braham and Rox are dismissing the warband as 'a charr thing', even with Rox trying to defend it. It's the military unit comparable to family. There you go.

Rox's first warband probably was a family to her! But they're dead now. Trying to join Rytlock's warband because of the prestige involved, and to just not be a gladium anymore, makes it take on a different tone. Especially when she's essentially breaking up with Braham to do so. They're so obviously an item, and Braham's hurt because it seems like she values a warband she doesn't even know above their relationship.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kafziel posted:

Rox's first warband probably was a family to her! But they're dead now. Trying to join Rytlock's warband because of the prestige involved, and to just not be a gladium anymore, makes it take on a different tone. Especially when she's essentially breaking up with Braham to do so. They're so obviously an item, and Braham's hurt because it seems like she values a warband she doesn't even know above their relationship.

Just to give an idea of how bad these characters are both from a narrative and writing perspective:

Logan abandons everyone, including a child in the middle of a foreign city full of skeezy pirates.

Braham has a lust for furries and is pissed off his girlfriend (Who really isn't.) is going to pal around with a famous group of warriors.

Rox is an rear end in a top hat. Really not much I need to go into there.

Kasmeer is grimdark depression personified.

Marjory sounds like she's using said depression to get into her pants given the tone of those last few lines she makes.

Which is a whole new spectrum of what the christ, given that she's basically a collection of private eye novel tropes rolled into a vaguely amorphously human shape. Knowing how that genre can be, if they're still doing that I don't even want to start thinking about what their intention there was, other than to incite a hundred horrible fanfics from creepy people playing the game.

The only likable character is either dead (Apples. :() or an Asuran kid that may or may not be the world's up and coming Doctor Doom expy at this point, given how she's written. Also I guess Caithe is written as being pretty chill too, outside of the implied murderous rampages against her enemies that take place off screen. But she gets almost zero screen time compared to the Angstcrew.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 29, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Logan is my best friend and hero.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hey team mom Eir is still somewhat cool. She just wants to get drunk and make statues (to ward off her crippling depression and suicidal ideation). Oh.

gently caress it, the only remaining decent characters are Lord Faren and countess Anise. The former is lovably and harmlessly stupid and the latter actually gets things done while making GBS threads on Logan and reminding him how much he sucks.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
Honestly; I think she spends half her time thinking of ways she can accomplish her goals while also trolling Logan as much as possible.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Cephid posted:

Honestly; I think she spends half her time thinking of ways she can accomplish her goals while also trolling Logan as much as possible.

This alone makes her the best character.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Hey team mom Eir is still somewhat cool. She just wants to get drunk and make statues (to ward off her crippling depression and suicidal ideation). Oh.

gently caress it, the only remaining decent characters are Lord Faren and countess Anise. The former is lovably and harmlessly stupid and the latter actually gets things done while making GBS threads on Logan and reminding him how much he sucks.

I agree that the only good characters are the well-dressed upper-class white ones. How silly of Anet to include examples of diversity, personal struggles, and hardship. Who, exactly, are they trying to cater to?

*goes back to being a 20-something artisan in Rurikstead with his 4 silver ales and fancy hats*

j/k. I want her dress real bad though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm totally in love with that shark spear. Time to farm more karma I guess!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ItBurns posted:

I agree that the only good characters are the well-dressed upper-class white ones. How silly of Anet to include examples of diversity, personal struggles, and hardship. Who, exactly, are they trying to cater to?

*goes back to being a 20-something artisan in Rurikstead with his 4 silver ales and fancy hats*

j/k. I want her dress real bad though.

Now that you mention it, not counting personal story people who only show up like twice, are there even any prominent non-upper class, non-white characters among the humans? Ascalonian cultural imperialism at play, supplanting the native Krytans.

And yes, anet needs to release Anise's dress as light armor so that finally there will be light armor that looks slightly less ridiculous.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 29, 2014

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

chumbler posted:

Now that you mention it, not counting personal story people who only show up like twice, are there even any prominent non-upper class, non-white characters among the humans? Ascalonian cultural imperialism at play, supplanting the native Krytans.

And yes, anet needs to release Anise's dress as light armor so that finally there will be light armor that looks slightly less ridiculous.

Marjory's Canthan, as I recall.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CODChimera posted:

I made Bolt and then sold it off ages ago. Just casually aiming for one now and collecting stuff while I wait for the precursor scavenger hunt which will remove a huge chunk of the cost.

The real question is what one do I get? Or do I wait for the next series of them? I was set on Bifrost for my Guardian but the unicorn footprints are so pretty, and Thief is my main. I'm just scared that I'll build Dreamer and then get sick of it quickly.

You've made me consider if I shouldn't just sell Twilight while the going is good, though I haven't heard anything about the scavenger hunt since at least before the ascended announcement.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kafziel posted:

Marjory's Canthan, as I recall.

Factions 2 confirmed.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

CODChimera posted:

You will love the Dreamer, every day that you have it.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
One of my skyhammer matches was being streamed by some dude on the other team and the home stretch of the match was funny to me at least. I'm the guy with the afro named Coming This Fall.

http://www.twitch.tv/ostricheggs/b/499072042?t=2m44s

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 29, 2014

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Turncoat Mommy posted:

One of my skyhammer matches was being streamed by some dude on the other team and the home stretch of the match was funny to me at least. I'm the guy with the afro named Coming This Fall.

http://www.twitch.tv/ostricheggs/b/499072042?t=2m44s

How did you find out he was streaming you?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
He streams all the loving time and uses the same name for all his characters.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just started playing, playing a necromancer and doing Artificing and Tailoring.

Is there anything on the wiki that's a decent 'catch all' to easing a player in. I just hit level 10 and I just feel like I'm 'missing' a lot of what I should be doing, focusing on, etc. Don't know what stats are meant to be good for my class and so on. And if buying gear would be worth it for me. Is there the equivelant of heirloom gear from Wow?

finally, also running dungeon instances with other players which I haven't done any yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

teacup posted:

finally, also running dungeon instances with other players which I haven't done any yet?

I think the first dungeon is level 25.

• Locked thread