Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Haha, increasing the accuracy of the pump shotguns? Owns. Never had any problems hitting people with these things anyway and they are a blast to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Betafield 4: Don't laze me, bro!

Target Practice posted:

Haha, increasing the accuracy of the pump shotguns? Owns. Never had any problems hitting people with these things anyway and they are a blast to use.

Do they mean accuracy accuracy, or spread? Because even with full choke, they are 3+ shells to kill at ranges beyond 5 yards.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Sparticle posted:

Do you enjoy ruining the experience of 32 people who would rather play the game fairly?

Yes.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Do they mean accuracy accuracy, or spread? Because even with full choke, they are 3+ shells to kill at ranges beyond 5 yards.

The hilarious spread and reload turned me off these after just a few rounds. It's like firing a sawed-off

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ilustforponydeath posted:

The hilarious spread and reload turned me off these after just a few rounds. It's like firing a sawed-off

I still get random distance pump action kills using buckshot. I think the things are just wildly inconsistent at this point.

870 4 lyfe though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Merica posted:

The SAR was my best gun until I got parts for the ACE-23. The SAR is insane especially with its max stability with grips.

Thanks I'll give those ones a shot. I just feel like I'm using the ARs wrong. It seems like most people never stop moving and somehow have enough accuracy to 2 hit me most of the time. I usually stop to ADS over 20-30m but it just seems to get me killed more often than not. I never really had this problem with the LMGs or Carbines oddly.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The Gunslinger posted:

Did we ever get that mumble mess figured out last night after I left? We had 2 different squads on two separate mumbles both called KFS somehow unless someone was just mistaken about the others name. That was fun until the server started making GBS threads itself, I see that happen on Hainan all the time on various servers so I wonder what it is about that map.

Yes. They were on CTS and we were on KFS. Why we need two mumbles for BF4 is beyond me. I'm just happy to finally have some goons to run around with. Playing shootmans alone with no one to poo poo talk with is just no fun anymore. My days of being a FPS Doug clone, aka my CS days, are long over.

As for your AR woes, happens to everyone from what I can figure. The way guns and attachments are balanced is insane. A lot of the guns are just garbage with no attachments (some guns are just garbage no matter what you do). If I'm using the ACE-23 with a laser sight and angled grip anyone with a stock AK-12, for example, is going to get murdered even if they see me first.

My best advice is to find a gun you like that has decent stats and unlock the laser sight and angled grip for it. Once you have those you should see a jump in your performance. That and figure out when its best to ADS or hipfire with whatever gun you choose. That can really make a big difference too.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

:words: balane and attachments and the G36C :words:

That takes time and effort. For fucks sake they only made 9 attachments that impact the stats while the rest are just reskins or fun things like a flashlight and then put them on everything! (with a few obvious expections like shotguns)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

Betafield 4: Don't laze me, bro!

Try ADS

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maybe they shouldn't have added so many different firearms if they weren't going to bother to make them all interesting. It's just artificial depth to have 7 or so weapons then have people migrate to 2-3 of them because they're all in the same caliber with same-ish stats. Might as well have 3 rifles because that's the extent of the depth when everything else is overlooked.

Also could probably make an argument that all attachments should be aesthetic or just not be there, because the weapons just have to be shallower so that an attachment doesn't push something over the edge.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Anyone got a link on a reputable spot to get a save game? I wanna try the p90 and 249.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
So, for curiosity's sake, what's the highest round score people have managed with the double xp weekends?

I managed about 450k on a round of paracel using a 200% xp boost. Four levels in one match!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I really wish the shotguns came with pre-unlocked chokes and shell selections. Having to grind the poo poo out of a shotgun only to realize it's not your speed is really lame and keeps me away from them.

Like, it only takes a couple unlocks on almost every rifle, carbine or pdw to judge if you click with them, not 100+ kills just to get darts or a tight choke.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oh man, I hope the pump-action accuracy buff brings them back to where they were in BF3. I had about 1800 kills with the SPAS+slugs combo, and it was my go-to weapon for every class. :allears:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Was on a nice anti-swear Christian server, when I said "Don't get cocky kid" I was banned with a note stating "Here's a huge cock for you!!!".

:allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Considering the entire G36 family was HK clumsily trying( and failing) to convince organizations that they needed to buy guns to replace the M16/AR15 family of rifles, it only makes sense that it's completely average and offers no advantages over its competition. :v:

Well, I've been using G36E rifles for 10 years in the ARMY (:spain:) and I had no issues at all with them. They're more durable and easier to clean (you just need to clean the gas piston after a hundred shots in the range and takes 15 minutes max). The G36 family is still great. Hell, even the G36 with bipod and drum mag (MG36 in BC2 for the nostalgic) works a charm when you want more firepower. I'd only replace my G36 for a M416 because of the better standard magazine and because is an H&K rifle. :colbert:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

WastedJoker posted:

MTAR changes are probably fair but :( my gun :(
Don't worry, the HB buff is going to make it even more of a hip-fire death machine, and it's still better than the A-91 at everything.

Leb posted:

RPM is still one of the most critical stats and at 600 RPM, you're going to get beaten by... virtually every other gun in the game. Meanwhile, the M240B has 50 higher RPM, a lower FSRM and a much higher damage model.
The M240B's lower FSRM is offset by having twice as much base recoil. The RPK-74 has by far the most accurate 2-round of any LMGs and the lowest spread increase per shot, so it definitely has its niche. RPM does matter, but accuracy really makes and breaks a lot of other guns for good reason, and it's pretty much the SAR of LMGs.

New Concept Hole posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have added so many different firearms if they weren't going to bother to make them all interesting.
I think that they probably only need ~4 weapons per category to have enough gameplay variety, especially since attachments are a thing. I used to wonder about that though, but then I saw "OH THEY GOT THE MTAR, HOLY poo poo", and I've started to realize that being good for gameplay reasons is only part of why some of these weapons exist in the game.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 29, 2014

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How is the HB buff going to affect hip-fire at all? My understanding is it's an ADS bonus only, and as-is it only affects standing ADS. The buff is going to apply it to moving ADS, as well.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Sandweed posted:

If there is one gun that deserves the term death laser its the SAR-21.
More like a kitten-kisses laser.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Mutation posted:

More like a kitten-kisses laser.

I love those. :swoon:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm trying to level Assault and I'm awful at it, what's the gun I should be aiming for? I seem to lose almost every engagement with the starter one.

The AK-12, SCAR-H and M416 (the starter, first and second unlocks, respectively) are all pretty solid. The SCAR-H is the odd man out, since it's the high damage, low-ROF model of the ARs, but very effective. Other highlights of the AR line include the AEK or FAMAS for the extreme ROF. The ACE-23 is apparently the most "M16A3" of all the rifles; L85A2 is pretty solid too, though I don't care for the long reload.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Guillermus posted:

Well, I've been using G36E rifles for 10 years in the ARMY (:spain:) and I had no issues at all with them. They're more durable and easier to clean (you just need to clean the gas piston after a hundred shots in the range and takes 15 minutes max). The G36 family is still great. Hell, even the G36 with bipod and drum mag (MG36 in BC2 for the nostalgic) works a charm when you want more firepower.

The Spanish Army uses the G36 because they were replacing the CETME. In this scenario, it's an upgrade akin to the M14 vs the M16. As a replacement for the M16 family of firearms(one of its direct competitors when it comes to LE/MIL contracts), it falls short because it's not enough of an upgrade in any area while also being a downgrade in other areas.

quote:

I'd only replace my G36 for a M416 because of the better standard magazine and because is an H&K rifle. :colbert:

The M416 is a direct downgrade to the M4 in a lot of ways. The AR15 is designed to be cycled via Direct Impingement and not a piston system. A piston system puts off-center force on the AR15 bolt, which was designed for straight-back operation. This results in a shorter life of the bolt, faster unlock, and all-around more stress on moving parts. This also results in a loud, heavier rifle. Feel free to read this post for an explaination about the differences in DI vs Piston on an AR15 platform, followed by this post about the HK416 specifically.

OneEightHundred posted:

I think that they probably only need ~4 weapons per category to have enough gameplay variety, especially since attachments are a thing.

I think they could make a more interesting game if there were only 4 or so firearms per class, all in different calibers. For example, Assault having three rifles in 5.56 and two in 7.62x39 and three 5.45 just results in a crowded weapons list where there's 8 rifles covering the same 3 calibers. Having just the AK-47, AN-94, M16A3, and the SCAR-H makes four different calibers to allow for a unique behavior for each without having to balance it in 3 or more other rifles.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
The one thing I like about the smaller-mag LMGs is that if you are providing ammo and defensive support to engies in your squad, you're never really caught with your pants down during a reload. If you're the first (and last) line of defense between the enemy and your squadmates who in all likelihood have their launchers out, it's nice to have a 60 round mag and a 3 second reload.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So how bad is the P90, really? I tend to carry an MTAR or PDW-R due to my playstyle (close quarters most of the time). That large mag would be nice but I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the MTAR or PDW-R for.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

whatspeakyou posted:

So how bad is the P90, really? I tend to carry an MTAR or PDW-R due to my playstyle (close quarters most of the time). That large mag would be nice but I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the MTAR or PDW-R for.

I like it, but I'm only using it to unlock the PDW-R.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yessss more accurate 870? Please and thank you!

Also how do people feel about the M4? I wonder if when I get a 3.4x or 4x scope if it will change but as of right now it is nice to pop a few shots on someone and at least be able to hit them.

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 29, 2014

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

MeinGott posted:

Yessss more accurate 870? Please and thank you!

Also how do people feel about the M4? I wonder if when I get a 3.4x or 4x scope if it will change but as of right now it is nice to pop a few shots on someone and at least be able to hit them.

The M4 is ok, it's not a bad weapon. The main issue is that carbines are inherently less accurate then ARs, so if you want more accurate bursts, you have to use the M16 instead. The M16 also hits significantly harder, so you have to land fewer shots to kill as well.

It's not bad though, I didn't have any problems getting a master tag with it; you just need to pick and choose your battles more carefully. If you like burst but want flexibility, both the AKU-12 and AK-12 excellent guns as well.

Edit: Looking at my own stats, I actually have higher accuracy with the M4 vs M16, but lower headshot kill percentage. So whatever you think is a better measure of accuracy go with that. v:shobon:v

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 29, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Duck_King posted:

Depends on the situation. I almost exclusively play support, and I think you guys are vastly underestimating it. You can see from my usage I know all about the other MGs, but I still like the RPK-74. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Duck_King/weapons/175510792/pc/ In the right hands it is a good gun.
By all means, have an underdog favorite. It's an objectively low-tier weapon no matter how you look at it. You'd be doing better investing in any of the other options.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Anti-Hero posted:

How is the HB buff going to affect hip-fire at all? My understanding is it's an ADS bonus only, and as-is it only affects standing ADS. The buff is going to apply it to moving ADS, as well.
Oops, misread it. Nevermind then!

New Concept Hole posted:

I think they could make a more interesting game if there were only 4 or so firearms per class, all in different calibers. For example, Assault having three rifles in 5.56 and two in 7.62x39 and three 5.45 just results in a crowded weapons list where there's 8 rifles covering the same 3 calibers. Having just the AK-47, AN-94, M16A3, and the SCAR-H makes four different calibers to allow for a unique behavior for each without having to balance it in 3 or more other rifles.
LMGs, ARs, carbines, and PDWs could all safely be reduced to something like, say, big-caliber (M240B, SCAR-H, ACE 52, UMP-45), mobile (RPK, L85, MTAR, PDW-R), bullet hose (M249, FAMAS, MTAR, Skorpion), and balanced (LSAT, ACE 23, AK5C, CBJ). DMRs and sniper rifles are even more one-dimensional, they could probably get reduced to 2 each (SKS/ACE or SCAR, SSR/M40 respectively).

Unless they're going to start adding gimmick guns with something interesting going on (i.e. AN-94), there's really no reason to be ~8-10, but then they wouldn't get to do their Gun Tourism thing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

If the stats are right, the RPK-74 has a much lower FSRM than the other mag-feds, which seems like a pretty useful advantage, especially when it's already one of the most accurate LMGs in every other category.
That's because its ROF is terrible with the AR damage range. Barf. And it doesn't matter at all because the best LMGs (ie. not magazined) have ridiculously controllable recoil without a muzzle brake.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Who Even Cares about all these lame guns when the AN-94 still isnt in the game...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I AM THE MOON posted:

Who Even Cares about all these lame guns when the AN-94 still isnt in the game...

God's Own Weapon needs to come back, I miss it so.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have added so many different firearms if they weren't going to bother to make them all interesting. It's just artificial depth to have 7 or so weapons then have people migrate to 2-3 of them because they're all in the same caliber with same-ish stats. Might as well have 3 rifles because that's the extent of the depth when everything else is overlooked.

Also could probably make an argument that all attachments should be aesthetic or just not be there, because the weapons just have to be shallower so that an attachment doesn't push something over the edge.

Less is more but you won't ever convince EA of that. I'm sure Dice, even if they wanted, could never get EA to sign off on reducing the number of frivolous unlocks. You know, cause consumers want MORE MORE MORE! Grind out those worhtless items! It worked for Blizzard/Activision! :shepspends:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I AM THE MOON posted:

I murked with the AN-94 as much as if not more than anybody here and whining about it isn't increasing its chances of returning!!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I used the AN-94 as much as if not more than anybody here and whining about it isn't increasing its chances of returning!!

Now to follow up my rant about less is more... I really wish the old school AK-47 was in BF4. I would love to use that piece of poo poo all day everyday even if it sucked.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The AKS-74u was a fine piece of poo poo simulation in BF3. It's pretty drat old now too!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The AKS-74u was a fine piece of poo poo simulation in BF3. It's pretty drat old now too!

I would totally own an AK-47 irl if it wasn't completely unnecessary and I wasn't afraid it would get stolen and used by the next "X school shooter".

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

OneEightHundred posted:

LMGs, ARs, carbines, and PDWs could all safely be reduced to something like, say, big-caliber (M240B, SCAR-H, ACE 52, UMP-45), mobile (RPK, L85, MTAR, PDW-R), bullet hose (M249, FAMAS, MTAR, Skorpion), and balanced (LSAT, ACE 23, AK5C, CBJ). DMRs and sniper rifles are even more one-dimensional, they could probably get reduced to 2 each (SKS/ACE or SCAR, SSR/M40 respectively).

Unless they're going to start adding gimmick guns with something interesting going on (i.e. AN-94), there's really no reason to be ~8-10, but then they wouldn't get to do their Gun Tourism thing.

I'd actually eliminate Carbines because they don't seem to fit into the balance of the game neatly enough, but that's because I feel compact firearms with rifle cartridges offers too much flexibility from a balance standpoint. I'd rather just give the Recon an automatic weapon or put something like the G3 as a universal option. As for DMRs, I would be fine if they were eliminated as a category and the Recon just got M40/SVD/M98B/M39.

Also, the "balanced" category of weapons in these games seems to also be anything but. :v: Seems to me that whenever something's made to be a good, "all-arounder" it ends up being grossly overused because it has no meaningful downside or just is too much of a crutch.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjxCP_eOko

Yet another way to wipe out roof-camping retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjxCP_eOko

Yet another way to wipe out roof-camping retards.

Good lord. :stare:

• Locked thread