Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

katlington posted:

Pretension is now a stage of mourning. Less charitability, they're a loving hipster fucker gently caress.

E: what they wear to the funeral would tell you which it was.

*gets back from the funeral* "Yeah, my father's in a pretty obscure place now. You've probably never heard of it, it's pretty underground."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Dude does have a ginormous beard.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Is there some new garbage where if you like someone's status, they send you a message and tell you that you've got to post a stupid status like theirs? I ask because a childhood friend posted earlier that she has diarrhea and later said that she's loving the new game going around Facebook. I wouldn't put it past her to talk about her bowel movements, though, as she will post about everything.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I feel like MRAs are somehow getting even lazier, to the point where the only things they can even relate to are these vague stories of women denying other men sex, since lord knows they'd never actually talk to a girl themselves, what's the point

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Guy's father dies, guy posts about it using flowery language, goons reply

'Says here you're poo poo's all hosed up and you talk like a fag'

His language was silly sure, but this is reaching in terms of idiocy

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

I'd have to agree with that image. No woman would ever say that a "nice guy" is the only person to be nice to them.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Andorra posted:

I'd have to agree with that image. No woman would ever say that a "nice guy" is the only person to be nice to them.

Yeah, it's usually "You're being kinda creepy, clingy, way too nosy, and could you stop calling me 'milady'? We're not at a RenFaire."

(I used to be a "nice guy" until I grew out of it, and even then I was never that bad. A pity some of these idiots never will because they're so assured that eventually they'll find the girl that understands that she's obligated to date them because they've been patronizing.)

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

RoeCocoa posted:

Someone I'm thinking of un-following shared a NaturalNews piece about people avoiding the flu fly vaccine. FYGM levels are as expected.

I want to hand that elle person a bottle of arsenic and telll them to get to 'culling the herd'. loving malthusian (sp?) poo poo like that should just straight up be told 'kill yourself then,'

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Macaluso posted:

"My father stopped living this morning"? Brusque? Folderol? No one talks like this. Why is he talking like this

Maybe he's old? Not everyone on Facebook is 18-25.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's like saying the Muppets would be better if Jim Henson came out on stage and told the jokes himself

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Oh man, Kimberly :ironicat:

On a related note, it was pretty cute when Thomas had to be led out by his hand because his helmet fogged up or something. I wonder if he was tearing up in there.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I kind of hope each of those comments has been made from someone who has never seen or heard of Daft Punk in their entire lives; also lol@ people honestly complaining about 'is this what the grammys are coming to?' :qq:

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Those tweets fill me with rage.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
So this Cheerios poo poo is back with the Washington Post playing the "It is YOU who are the true racists!" anti racecard(?)

Personal disclaimer that the MSNBC post was pretty passive-aggressively lovely, but nonetheless.

A friend posts this link on FB with the tagline "Stay Classy" He likes to post links from that "America's Misguided Children" facebook group too, which is an indication in his mostly insane political meanderings.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eboracum posted:

I can see that, but I laughed pretty hard at #theygoingtospace. First time I have ever laughed at a hashtag.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, it's usually "You're being kinda creepy, clingy, way too nosy, and could you stop calling me 'milady'? We're not at a RenFaire."

(I used to be a "nice guy" until I grew out of it, and even then I was never that bad. A pity some of these idiots never will because they're so assured that eventually they'll find the girl that understands that she's obligated to date them because they've been patronizing.)

I was a "nice guy" when I was pretty young, but I eventually realized it was too much goddamn stress to spend so much energy trying to get into the pants of half of my friends. Once I hit my mid-teens and started recognizing that women are, oddly enough, people too I made a lot of really great friends.

And even at my worst I would only ever call someone "milady" sarcastically.

Eboracum posted:

Somehow they make me both rage and laugh. I especially like the one failing to get that their "gimmick" is being all about the music.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It pisses me off that people do not understand Daft Punks costumes at all, since all they've listened to is a 20 hour endless loop of Get Lucky and hadn't even heard of them before that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh man, Kimberly :ironicat:

On a related note, it was pretty cute when Thomas had to be led out by his hand because his helmet fogged up or something. I wonder if he was tearing up in there.

Isn't that part of the point of the costumes? When your stage persona is basically a faceless/silent entity, the music is really the focus. Even when they do guest appearances in stuff, it's mostly about their music with a little "hey look it's those dudes in masks."

Edit: Should add I don't know poo poo about Daft Punk, so this is all speculation on my part too.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

fuuuuu shooooooooo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Newage nuts aside, all I can see in that post is ''o flaboratories.''

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

From just five comments I can already tell that these two would be the most obnoxious people to ever be around. My god. They even finish each others' sentences.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't know my lover name but I happen to know my wolf name if that works too.

This made me laugh way to hard

Tiggum posted:

Last time this came up in this thread it had been posted as a letter to the editor in a newspaper. I don't have the original version of that, but I do have the version I altered to post as a response.

This is also wonderful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cyberia posted:

Maybe he's old? Not everyone on Facebook is 18-25.
Someone old enough to use "brusque" and "folderol" as common and familiar words is probably also old enough to have epitaphs written about them. Eulogies aren't automatically flowery and in my experience they're poetic, but they use very modern language.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

into the void posted:

But yeah. Holocaust deniers are the worst and I'm glad I've never run across them on social media.

According to my assorted History professors, it's a sign you've made it as a historian when you get one of those crazies sending you their 5+ pound printed manifesto detailing why the Holocaust was a hoax.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Someone old enough to use "brusque" and "folderol" as common and familiar words is probably also old enough to have epitaphs written about them. Eulogies aren't automatically flowery and in my experience they're poetic, but they use very modern language.

Almost all my coworkers have BAs in English. You do the math.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kimmalah posted:

Isn't that part of the point of the costumes? When your stage persona is basically a faceless/silent entity, the music is really the focus. Even when they do guest appearances in stuff, it's mostly about their music with a little "hey look it's those dudes in masks."

Edit: Should add I don't know poo poo about Daft Punk, so this is all speculation on my part too.

You are correct. They didn't want to become celebrities in the sense that people were always focused on them and not their music.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Picnic Princess posted:

You are correct. They didn't want to become celebrities in the sense that people were always focused on them and not their music.

That, and to presumably have some amount of anonymity/privacy when they're not dealing in music. Apparently this even extended to them showing up in-costume to the initial meet-ups and offers to either sign on with Columbia Records or to do the score for Tron Legacy (can't remember which).

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RoeCocoa posted:

Someone I'm thinking of un-following shared a NaturalNews piece about people avoiding the flu fly vaccine. FYGM levels are as expected.

Is that you, Nina Paley?

lots of people posted:

Holocaust photoshoot blogger girl

All I could think of was this:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Although I like Daft Punk too, to be fair after the 90s the masks have since become the gimmick, as they're now all flashy and iconic.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm not sure anyone was arguing they weren't a gimmick, just that they work as a gimmick to give them anonymity and make it "about the music" and whatnot

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

How do these people not even know who Daft Punk is? You couldn't escape hearing "Get Lucky" last year

Also it's funny seeing people say they're ruining the future of music or whatever when Random Access Memories could pretty much been straight out of the late 70s early 80s.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

That, and to presumably have some amount of anonymity/privacy when they're not dealing in music. Apparently this even extended to them showing up in-costume to the initial meet-ups and offers to either sign on with Columbia Records or to do the score for Tron Legacy (can't remember which).

If it means they can go to the grocery store and not get mobbed, it works.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Dawkins retweeted something a little out there today.

Don't know German so I can't translate, but I think it speaks for itself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I read 'Daft Punk sketches me out' as Daft Punk stretches me out' at first holy hell

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Flaskraven posted:

"This is society's fault. This has nothing to do with Islam."
I'm pretty sure that's what the text is saying.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Flaskraven posted:

The tweet has the translation, the comic's title is "Children in Multicultural Europe"

But yeah, the racism and islamophobia shine through pretttttty well already

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Flaskraven posted:

The title is "Childhood in a multicultural Europe."
The kid is saying/thinking, "It is the fault of society! It has nothing to do with Islam."
The signs from top to bottom say: "apostate" "whore (miniskirt!)" then "pork eater"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Serperoth posted:

"This is society's fault. This has nothing to do with Islam."
I'm pretty sure that's what the text is saying.

I thought that was self-explanatory. I meant I can't translate "apostat", "schlampe" (I think slut?), "schweinefresser"(I think porkeater?) and "Kindheit in Multikulti-Europa".

Oops, beaten.

• Locked thread