Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Liquid Penguins posted:

You just hit the nail on the head of why no one gets excited for zombie garbage.

Speaking of Draculas, Are there any plans/news about a good new Castlevania game? Those Lords Of Shadows ones have been terrible, but I'd love to see another 'classic' Castlevania come out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would love to see a new 2D Castlevania or Metroid. It seems like the only way to get a Metroidvania is to hope for the best with indie games.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would love to see a new 2D Castlevania or Metroid. It seems like the only way to get a Metroidvania is to hope for the best with indie games.
Or the new Strider.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really don't think we're ever going to get another (good) 2D Metroid. And that makes me very sad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, right! I forgot all about Strider.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm glad to never see another 2d Castlevania. There were a truckload of those on the DS.

There were three DS Castlevania games, c'mon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm glad to never see another 2d Castlevania. There were a truckload of those on the DS.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah and they were all really good why wouldn't you want more of that.

e: especially on a screen bigger than four inches

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe the first one was really good but the rest of them kind of felt like the same game with all the same weapons and magic skills. How many times am I going to see medusa head? Nobody likes fighting it but they keep putting it in!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As much as I would kill for a new SoTN style castlevania at least they went out on a good note. Order of Ecclasia was a masterpiece and one of my favorite games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe the first one was really good but the rest of them kind of felt like the same game with all the same weapons and magic skills. How many times am I going to see medusa head? Nobody likes fighting it but they keep putting it in!

The rest of two more games? Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclasia. That's all of the DS Castlevania games, and while Portrait was only alright the other two were great games. It's not like it's too soon, it's been six years since Ecclasia.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also played the GBA Castlevania games and they all blended together in my mind.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Since Gears of War got bought will someone just cough up the pity ransom for the Shadow Complex rights already?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Veib posted:

There's a bunch of stuff being said about zombies all over in the recent years, and some of the most common ideas people are throwing around is that it's a an easy Other to which you can project your fears about things bigger than you like the global economic recession, diseases like bird and swine flu (AIDS in the '80s), overpopulation (especially in places that aren't near you), lack of personal connections in the technological world, illegal aliens coming to eat you and steal your jobs in the process, and so on. It's a fictional apocalyptic representation for fears that might not be purely apocalyptic but are very real. It's easy to use in multiple ways because they're so empty on its own. Dracula has a personality, a zombie doesn't.

Then there's the criticism of consumer capitalism coming from things like Dawn of the Dead (it literally takes place in a mall, just like Dead Rising) and continuing in for example World War Z (the book), with buyers as mindless consumers hoarding whatever they can get their hands on. Workers are also mindless drones with no individuality, but the ones without work are in an even worse position, so there's societal cultural anxiety of just surviving in modern capitalism. I just read a short story that made a not-so-subtle connection between zombies and homeless people (as well as zombies and low-info voters).

But the zombie apocalypse happening also shatters this society, so some people see it as an escapist liberation fantasy from that very anxiety that gives them the chance to start over again and be a powerful leader in a time of crisis. And related to that zombies are also a very easy Other for personal violent fantasies, which then leads us to all the racism with survival nut zombie targets that represent black people to them (like that loving Obama zombie target).

Of course not everyone doing zombie stuff is saying all of these things and to some it's just a currently popular thing to make money with, but the craze did not start from nowhere. Like right now it's going on with the momentum of it going on and people hopping along, but there's a cultural push somewhere that made it happen, whatever you think it is or isn't.

It's also obviously nothing new per se, but there's a reason somewhere zombies are so loving huge right now. There were fuckloads of zombie movies in the '70s and '80s, but there were no zombie walks or zombie versions of Jane Austen novels (it loving sucks, btw). It wasn't as pervasive throughout the entire spectrum of (popular) culture before.

All in all it's a lot more nuanced and interesting phenomenon than video game zombies usually make it look like.

(also I legit did not know "zombie zeitgeist" is a phrase people actually use, I thought I just made it up for that post, gonna start using it now, also gonna stop posting about zombies after this sorry about the derail)

e: Also my favorite thing about zombies is the utterly amazing "so bad it's good" camp value of '70s-'80s zombie movies, most newer stuff is just boring.

Yeah, zombies went from being a way to criticize Civil Rights-Reagan era politics to being what aliens were back in the 90s-a humanoid character that players shouldn't feel any moral confliction with killing in droves. There also tends to be a "smart/geeky people will survive a zombie apocalypse" thing that seems to be the main driver of zombie related stuff in pop culture, sort of a undead spin on The Revenge of the Nerds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah, zombies went from being a way to criticize Civil Rights-Reagan era politics to being what aliens were back in the 90s-a humanoid character that players shouldn't feel any moral confliction with killing in droves. There also tends to be a "smart/geeky people will survive a zombie apocalypse" thing that seems to be the main driver of zombie related stuff in pop culture, sort of a undead spin on The Revenge of the Nerds.

If we want to try to contextualize it, let's look at the last zombie movie with any sort of "you are the real monster" left in it, I am Legend. That was 2007, right before the economy completely tanked, and even with that movie they re-edited the poo poo out of the ending to make it happier. Post 07 or so productions, zombies are the Roman Colosseum of broke-rear end america. I mean tv is in general, but with zombie stuff it's just morality-free killing fools. Which is somewhat novel to people who didn't grow up murdering more Nazis than ever existed, and I guess, ironically, white power losers whose zombie fantasies are thinly veiled race war poo poo.

This dumb theory is brought to you by the letter Z and a lack of GB content today.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lords of Shadow 2 will probably be the last Castlevania for several years, because those games don't sell as much as Konami wants them to, and I'm surprised that LoS 2 even happened in the first place. Also it might still be a good game! Says the only unironic supporter of the original in this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Castlevania was some lovely iOS pseudo-game like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hakkesshu posted:

Says the only unironic supporter of the original in this thread.

No you aren't, I dig it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mu Zeta posted:

I also played the GBA Castlevania games and they all blended together in my mind.

Well all the GBA ones are kind of trash to be honest. All the DS one's are really unique and vary the formula in fun ways are were all really great!

EDIT: I think I'd like the LoS Castlevania games if I didn't play them coming off the tail end of Bayonetta and a Replay of DMC 3. As far as action games go they're really slow and kind of boring and Lords of Shadow reminded me of all the bits of God of War I hated (Mostly the playing it).

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 4, 2014

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

cronox2 posted:

Since Gears of War got bought will someone just cough up the pity ransom for the Shadow Complex rights already?

There's no reason anyone would need to do this. Shadow Complex's setting was pretty bland and uninspired. Someone just needs to make a good game in the same vein.

Unless they really want that Neo-Fascist Liberal stuff, I guess.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh, hearing Jeff say that no one wants to play a game like Unreal Tournament anymore makes me sad. I want more games like this and less like Call of Duty or Titanfall. I don't like what CoD did to FPS.

I kind of don't want another UT game also because it will have 12 maps, levels and xp, and 40 different assault rifles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been downloading favorite videos from the second post and the list is pretty much perfect, but I notice it missing the DSi XL unboxing video.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/dsi-xl-unboxing-extravanganza/2300-2223/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rirse posted:

Been downloading favorite videos from the second post and the list is pretty much perfect, but I notice it missing the DSi XL unboxing video.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/dsi-xl-unboxing-extravanganza/2300-2223/

Man I think Jeff's lost weight

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Brad stole it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cronox2 posted:

Gotta deal with Orson Scott Card for that, sadly.

And possibly Microsoft.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Overbite posted:

Ugh, hearing Jeff say that no one wants to play a game like Unreal Tournament anymore makes me sad. I want more games like this and less like Call of Duty or Titanfall. I don't like what CoD did to FPS.

Seriously. They could just do UT 2004 again and I'd be perfectly happy, but yeah, it's not happening.

:smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Following up my post eariler, the quick look recommation should have WWE 2010, Spelunky, and the recent Dr Luigi and Octodad QL.

Similarly, what are some of the suggested mailbags. They are hard to find in the feature section since the page is full of either the daily Patrick segments or the much older question of the week.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rirse posted:

Following up my post eariler, the quick look recommation should have WWE 2010, Spelunky, and the recent Dr Luigi and Octodad QL.

Similarly, what are some of the suggested mailbags. They are hard to find in the feature section since the page is full of either the daily Patrick segments or the much older question of the week.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-07-11-2013/2300-7681/?comment_page=12

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

The Monarch posted:

Yea Steam is already rapidly losing its power as a game discovery tool. Flooding the new releases with a million "press F to make a fart noise $0.99" and "I made some animes and put them in a basic game-maker JRPG $59.99" would be terrible. Greenlight isn't great but it's a whole hell of a lot better than just throwing the gates wide open.

It doesn't help that most of the time I read some "Steam won't let me sell my game!" the game in question is one of those terrible game-maker zero-effort looking things. And if it isn't the press from those stories usually end up influencing Greenlight and getting the game on Steam anyway.

Yeah exactly, I've already slowed down on paying attention to steam's new releases and sales. For a while there I bought games straight off steam all the time, now I buy fewer games and usually only do so when I hear about them elsewhere. I used to check the sales tab every day but just got so tired of seeing the same crappy games and a whole lot of DLC for games I don't have that I gave up on that too. If they opened up the floodgates then the steam store would just become something I go to buy specific games on and then get out.

I have literally 1 game on my android phone. Ever. And I downloaded that a week ago based on an SA thread because gently caress wading through the mess of an android store.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, it looks like Jeff has lost a lot of weight even since then. Good on him.

I went on a strict diet/exercise regimen the week after Ryan died, and I've managed to lose around 60 pounds until now. I know it's lovely that it took something like that for me to get my act together, but I'm glad I did :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Congrats. Isn't it awesome how you can wake up and not feel lovely after a good night's rest? It's amazing was losing something little like 10 pounds does for you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, it looks like Jeff has lost a lot of weight even since then. Good on him.

I went on a strict diet/exercise regimen the week after Ryan died, and I've managed to lose around 60 pounds until now. I know it's lovely that it took something like that for me to get my act together, but I'm glad I did :)

Remember everybody swearing to get healthier back then, good to see that some good has come out of it.

I wonder if it is the lack of the "right kind of pizza" in Petaluma that helps Jeff keep off the pounds. Easy access to cheap and bad fast food really does make a difference.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008
Jeff literally just posted this 5 min ago. The timing couldn't be better.

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/430553848042635264

"Walked two miles to get an acceptable beef bowl, so yeah, I’m sort of a fitness nut."

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Brad and Vinny have gained noticeable weight though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mu Zeta posted:

Congrats. Isn't it awesome how you can wake up and not feel lovely after a good night's rest? It's amazing was losing something little like 10 pounds does for you.

After high school, I hit a slump and reached nearly 400 pounds, it was the grossest I've ever felt. I started working at UPS and lost half my body weight over the next year, most of that within the first four months(hard labor in midsummer humidity while overweight'll melt it right off ya, or kill you, one or the other) and now I'm fit and never felt better. I urge anyone who's overweight to figure out a way to lose weight, because man, quality of life really increases when you reach an optimal body weight.

steakmancer posted:

Brad and Vinny have gained noticeable weight though.
Jeff is clearly siphoning off his weight and transferring it to Vinny and Brad, it all makes sense now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crazy long Vinny/Drew/Patrick/Brad/Dave/Will Smith podcast incoming, apparently! :getin:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hakkesshu posted:

Crazy long Vinny/Drew/Patrick/Brad/Dave/Will Smith podcast incoming, apparently! :getin:

OH CHRIST

That's a really damned good combination.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don't understand why Jeff is so against patching in Patrick via Skype when it seems to work fine every time it's done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeff secretly hates Patrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mu Zeta posted:

Jeff secretly hates Patrick

It must be because he's so depressed all the time. Probably why Brad's leaving too.

• Locked thread