Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GenHavoc posted:

The story in SC2 isn't going to win any awards, but it's hardly worthy of the "gently caress Blizzard forever", "Mark Metzer is a war criminal" poo poo that seems to be coming up all over the place.

But then I suppose it wouldn't be an LP thread without people complaining about how terrible it is that anyone actually liked the game for the entire duration of the LP.

The game is incredibly fun and I had a lot of fun playing it as far as I did, but one has to acknowledge the shortcomings of the game and they were to the level I did not really expect from Blizzard.

Admittedly, I haven't played a Blizzard game since World of Warcraft's beta, but it really does seem like they, of all companies in the industry, should aim to be better than this.

I don't think they have any good excuse for the game turning out so terribly written, it wouldn't take that much effort to make the writing good with the material you are given in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
SC2 is written badly and feels like a saturday morning cartoon to me, but honestly, I don't care too much. SC1 barely had a story worth talking about, so there isn't exactly much characterization to break out of. I don't like that every Blizzard game since Warcraft 3 has had the exact same style and tone, but then I never played any of their games for the riveting plot.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Psion posted:

This is an excellent attack on a strawman that literally nobody in this thread posted, but do continue :allears:

Psion, not one page earler posted:

Mordaedil is right - Metzen should be locked away from writing anything ever again.

You were saying?

Mordaedil posted:

The game is incredibly fun and I had a lot of fun playing it as far as I did, but one has to acknowledge the shortcomings of the game and they were to the level I did not really expect from Blizzard.

Admittedly, I haven't played a Blizzard game since World of Warcraft's beta, but it really does seem like they, of all companies in the industry, should aim to be better than this.

I don't think they have any good excuse for the game turning out so terribly written, it wouldn't take that much effort to make the writing good with the material you are given in the game.

Oh I don't deny that. The writing in SC2 was just less... I guess 'sharp' is the word I'd use. The characters were a little more broadly and simplistically drawn, their motivations somewhat less interesting. Like many, I played SC1 because of the story, and SC2 more because of the gameplay itself. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. That said, I don't think the game was terribly written. It held my interest, certainly, Raynor's schtick was decent enough, I honestly liked most of the new characters they added, and Mengsk never gets old for me. I can see why someone might hate it, I suppose, but I've played all sorts of worse-written games than SC2, especially RTSes.

That said, the reason I said anything is because we're two missions into a 26-mission campaign (29 if Raldan's planning on showing all of the levels off), and already most of the thread has been about lambasting the writing in a completely different Blizzard game, I assume so as to illustrate Blizzard's systemic flaws. Everyone's entitled to their opinions on Starcraft and everything else, but I'd just like to see an LP of a game by a major studio that, for once, doesn't devolve into a circle-jerk over how terrible (or evil) everything the studio in question has ever produced was. Sort of like how every LP of Morrowind or Skyrim eventually devolves into "gently caress those talentless hacks at Bethesda forever, who have never in their lives produced one single thing of value to the human race", I'm just trying to head off the inevitable derails.

But hey, I'm not a mod. Talk about what you will. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, and it's not like there's no reason to complain about the writing in this, or other Blizzard games.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So many derails. I don't think the thread has even really talked about resourcing or marines/medics or flexible bases.

The addition of a counter so you know how many SCVs you need for various harvesting tasks is a welcome addition. I have lost games because I didn't build enough SCVs. Or built too many.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Unrelated to any prior discussion: Tychus and Raynor's lips are creeping me out. They're so....plump.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

So many derails. I don't think the thread has even really talked about resourcing or marines/medics or flexible bases.

The addition of a counter so you know how many SCVs you need for various harvesting tasks is a welcome addition. I have lost games because I didn't build enough SCVs. Or built too many.

Also, permanently displaying health bars on everything. I went back to play through SC1 again and trying to micromanage my marines without that particular improvement is ungodly annoying.

The fact that you can select basically unlimited units as well has great implications for the Zerg - when you spawn twice as many units as everyone else managing that poo poo was always far more frustrating than it should've been.

In terms of pure gameplay, SC1 was excellent, but SC2 has one of the best UIs I've ever encountered in a strategy game.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

occipitallobe posted:

Also, permanently displaying health bars on everything. I went back to play through SC1 again and trying to micromanage my marines without that particular improvement is ungodly annoying.

The fact that you can select basically unlimited units as well has great implications for the Zerg - when you spawn twice as many units as everyone else managing that poo poo was always far more frustrating than it should've been.

In terms of pure gameplay, SC1 was excellent, but SC2 has one of the best UIs I've ever encountered in a strategy game.

Yes! Selecting as many units as you want in a group is a huge change. No more building up a giant army that you have to put into different control groups. Then you have to remember which groups are your main attack force and which ones are sneaking around back of the base. Oh then you also have those Arbiters too...don't loving send them in as fast as everything else. Like i said I've never actually played this game but I can see how that would make everything so much sexier.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GenHavoc posted:

Oh I don't deny that. The writing in SC2 was just less... I guess 'sharp' is the word I'd use. The characters were a little more broadly and simplistically drawn, their motivations somewhat less interesting. Like many, I played SC1 because of the story, and SC2 more because of the gameplay itself. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. That said, I don't think the game was terribly written. It held my interest, certainly, Raynor's schtick was decent enough, I honestly liked most of the new characters they added, and Mengsk never gets old for me. I can see why someone might hate it, I suppose, but I've played all sorts of worse-written games than SC2, especially RTSes.

That said, the reason I said anything is because we're two missions into a 26-mission campaign (29 if Raldan's planning on showing all of the levels off), and already most of the thread has been about lambasting the writing in a completely different Blizzard game, I assume so as to illustrate Blizzard's systemic flaws. Everyone's entitled to their opinions on Starcraft and everything else, but I'd just like to see an LP of a game by a major studio that, for once, doesn't devolve into a circle-jerk over how terrible (or evil) everything the studio in question has ever produced was. Sort of like how every LP of Morrowind or Skyrim eventually devolves into "gently caress those talentless hacks at Bethesda forever, who have never in their lives produced one single thing of value to the human race", I'm just trying to head off the inevitable derails.

But hey, I'm not a mod. Talk about what you will. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, and it's not like there's no reason to complain about the writing in this, or other Blizzard games.

Well, there'll be more goodness to focus on down the line, there are legitimate good stuff to the game and I hope watching this LP will highlight those and remind me what kept me playing for as long as I did.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Didn't the AI in SC1 also use the players control groups to target their AOE abilities? I think I read something about that once.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Veloxyll posted:

Terran Medics don't even exist in the multiplayer mode because they're so brilliantly effective.

Even out of the box, Medics are so awesome that you really only need a 3:2 Marine:Medic ratio blob to murder almost anything on the map. If you're not getting the job done with the blob, you just need more medics and marines. With the inter-mission upgrades bought they're so absurd that there were many missions I didn't even bother to build anything else.

In the multiplayer, Terrans aren't allowed to heal their organic units at all until they build a Starport and some Medevac units, which really, really hurts their early game and promotes rushing against Terrans, which I really loving loathe. Rush strategies in RTS games are as interesting and fun as a dude driving to work. Start engine (or barracks, or hatchery, or whatever), take your first three rights (or smash the hotkey 3-5 times), then go straight (for the enemy's base), and okay! If nothing has hosed up, you're now at work (or have won the game)! If something has hosed up, you're now on the shoulder furiously dialing your insurance (or have wasted so much time that you probably already lost).

It's fun to watch early game scouting turn into small raids and harassment that eventually scales up into larger battles, and culminates in an all-out brawl. It's soul-crushingly boring to watch people compete to smash the buttons faster than their opponent. The only time that's fun at all is when you're watching idiots play dueling pianos at a bar, and that's amusing precisely because it's a lovely trainwreck.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When I used to play SC with friends, we always agreed that the first 10-15 minutes of a match were purely for base/army building, because rushes became so bloody intolerable. Anything after that was fair game, but until then, anything more than a scout unit for building more bases was verboten.

Incidentally, is HotS standalone, or is it a pure expansion?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When I used to play SC with friends, we always agreed that the first 10-15 minutes of a match were purely for base/army building, because rushes became so bloody intolerable. Anything after that was fair game, but until then, anything more than a scout unit for building more bases was verboten.

Incidentally, is HotS standalone, or is it a pure expansion?

HotS is a pure, old school expansion.

Coolguye is totally right about the absurd effectiveness of marine/medic, and Raldan and I discussed that very thing before starting this LP. We will be doing our best to avoid the boring shitstorm that "only using m/m" would become!

Also, drat, there are some people mad about early game aggression in this thread. I guess our first MP video shouldn't be how to do a 6pool or proxy 2rax. Back to the drawing board, Raldan!

ed:
Congrats! We have now "I am not a mod but..." posts on 2/3 pages! Great work, goons!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 5, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GenHavoc posted:

You were saying?
Oh I figured you'd bring that up. Let's compare what I said:

quote:

Metzen should be locked away from writing anything ever again.
To your strawman:

quote:

but it's hardly worthy of the "gently caress Blizzard forever", "Mark Metzer is a war criminal" poo poo that seems to be coming up all over the place.

So "war criminal" is equivalent in your eyes to "shouldn't be allowed to write things [because he's bad at writing]" and "all over the place" is one quote from one person, which doesn't even fit your argument. Interestingly, no mention of gently caress Blizzard forever from anyone - except you. As I said: Nice strawman.

I mean really? Literally comparing an argument of "bad writers should not write" to war crimes? That's loving sad.

At least the rest of your post, which I didn't quote, was reasonable and level-headed ... just like everyone else. I think we all appreciate that. But you really overreached on this one, buddy.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 5, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synastren posted:

Also, drat, there are some people mad about early game aggression in this thread. I guess our first MP video shouldn't be how to do a 6pool or proxy 2rax. Back to the drawing board, Raldan!
To me, rush plays represent a flaw in the design of a lot of RTS games - or perhaps RTS in general. A rush play does not really constitute a strategy - they always stem from a metagame analysis rather than an instance assessment, the latter being what you would expect people to have to work with on a strategy map. It shows no unique thought or skill on the part of the person doing the rush, and because it is representative of a flaw in the game there's not a great way to work against it except another canned response. The infamous 6-zergling rush from SC1 days was what made a lot of Terran games for the longest time build a Bunker literally right next to their Barracks, just in case 6 zerglings showed up because whoops, it was completely impossible to have more than 2 marines active by the time they showed up! The more these canned responses show up, the more these matches could be played by macros instead of humans. I didn't ask to watch competitive Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, I asked to watch a strategy game. There's nothing wrong with early game aggression, but it should be in response to scouting and identification of what your opponent is actually doing, not a metagame analysis that shows the Zerg have a slight comparative time advantage on Zerglings and Mutalisks and if leveraged by inputting these commands quickly enough there's nothing the other guy can do to stop it.

Dawn of War 2 does a good job of handling rushing problems, but some people rather rightly argue that it is more a Real Time Tactical than a Real Time Strategy.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

Heart of the Swarm's such a fun campaign and introduces a bunch of surprisingly characterful Zerg (as well as having some SURPRISE RETURNS that I've got so much to talk about when we see them finally) so it's still a net good for me. It also proves Steve Blum can do other voices.
Ishva is hilarious simply because of the voice Karen Strassman uses for the character. :allears: You of all people should know why.

Anyhew, as mentioned above, the Medics are a campaign-exclusive unit. I am torn on that decision. On one hand, it sucks that I lose out on one of Brood War's most valuable units in multiplayer and have to rely on a future Terran unit for that role. On the other hand, being campaign-only helps out a lot with various levels and getting around bullshit. I do like the choice of making Supply Depots...what's the word, collapsible? Whatever, basically the option to lower them from the surface is a nice cosmetic touch and this opinion in no way influenced by yours truly getting an SCV stuck on a group of Supply Depots in SC1 multiple times. Nope, not influenced by that at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I'm fine with rushing as long as it doesn't happen every time, if only to add some variation. Although I really detest when it happens too often or even worse all the time. There's a whole big tech tree but nothing except for the basic stuff ever gets used because it's the most optimal way to win more games faster or whatever. That makes me frustrated and bored and I'll just abandon the game altogether. It gets a bit dull if every match turns into hour long turtlefests too however. Oh, and incidentally I hate time limit missions in rts.

If you have the chance I strongly recommend playing WoL and HoTS back to back to see just how much worse the second one is. Sure it can still be enjoyable, but not nearly as much.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Synastren posted:

HotS is a pure, old school expansion.

Coolguye is totally right about the absurd effectiveness of marine/medic, and Raldan and I discussed that very thing before starting this LP. We will be doing our best to avoid the boring shitstorm that "only using m/m" would become!

ed:
Congrats! We have now "I am not a mod but..." posts on 2/3 pages! Great work, goons!

What about how to counter 6pool/proxy 2rax?
The best early harass SC2 vid was an amazing one where someone micro'd a scout scv to block the enemy's Command Centre for like 2 minutes. While still building back at base. It was beautiful (I don't recall the exact races)

Goons are literally the worst people.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Coolguye posted:

To me, rush plays represent a flaw in the design of a lot of RTS games - or perhaps RTS in general. A rush play does not really constitute a strategy - they always stem from a metagame analysis rather than an instance assessment, the latter being what you would expect people to have to work with on a strategy map. It shows no unique thought or skill on the part of the person doing the rush, and because it is representative of a flaw in the game there's not a great way to work against it except another canned response. The infamous 6-zergling rush from SC1 days was what made a lot of Terran games for the longest time build a Bunker literally right next to their Barracks, just in case 6 zerglings showed up because whoops, it was completely impossible to have more than 2 marines active by the time they showed up! The more these canned responses show up, the more these matches could be played by macros instead of humans. I didn't ask to watch competitive Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, I asked to watch a strategy game. There's nothing wrong with early game aggression, but it should be in response to scouting and identification of what your opponent is actually doing, not a metagame analysis that shows the Zerg have a slight comparative time advantage on Zerglings and Mutalisks and if leveraged by inputting these commands quickly enough there's nothing the other guy can do to stop it.

Dawn of War 2 does a good job of handling rushing problems, but some people rather rightly argue that it is more a Real Time Tactical than a Real Time Strategy.

I don't want to go into a full blown discussion on the relative merits of having rushing options before we get to any sort of multiplayer coverage in the thread, so all I will say here is that I think you are wrong. When we get to the multiplayer segments of the LP, I will flesh out my thoughts more, but I don't want to derail the thread into something that won't likely show up for a few weeks yet. Please bring this up again then though, if I forget! :)

Veloxyll posted:

The best early harass SC2 vid was an amazing one where someone micro'd a scout scv to block the enemy's Command Centre for like 2 minutes. While still building back at base. It was beautiful (I don't recall the exact races)

Unless you go for a very greedy expansion, all early rush strategies are beatable, assuming they get scouted. Depending on the opener chosen by the defender and when/if the rush is scouted, it may be more or less difficult. The one thing about these early strategies is that they always come with severe repercussions if they fail. I have no problem with getting to a series of self-contained tutorial videos; Raldan and I have tried to figure out the best way to work SC2 multiplayer into the LP as it is an absolutely vital part of the game. We haven't yet come up with a good way to do it.

In any event, I play Zerg, and so I think I deal with more early game rush strategies than either Terran or Protoss--ZvZ is a domino series of all-in plays where rush plays are considered to be completely standard play. And Zerg players (Random players notwithstanding) are more likely to go for early game attacks than the other two factions due to the way that Zerg production works.

As a quick addendum, I find the comments that Terran have to deal with the most early-game rush attacks to be positively amusing. Assuming a standard opener in a multiplayer game, Terran is the only race who can, a) make a full wall that does not require later demolition; b) keep their wall alive during an attack by repairing; and, c) have ranged units to shoot over the wall. Zerg virtually never does an early rush strategy vs. Terran, and Protoss' attacks hit too late to be considered rush attacks. TvT might be a different story, though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Veloxyll posted:

Goons are literally the worst people.

Most multiplayer maps allow a player to wall off or at least partially block the entrance of their base through buildings or units. Skilled players get a feel for their opponent's timing and can prepare for all-in strategies, especially in a map that encourages such builds. A lot of it comes down to the map size (# of possible spawn points) and the overall design of the map. Depending on the map, it could be just as risky to aggressively expand as it would be to try a 6 pool.

Rushes take a lot of skill and planning to execute successfully. The issue with them usually involves the person getting rushed becoming spooked and making poor decisions, such auto-attacking indiscriminately with all of their units. There was actually a player who worker rushed Bronze league players to great success due to his opponents being unwilling to auto-attack in spite of a numerical advantage.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Feinne posted:

Fenix might get a mention in Legacy, but he's pretty dead after all.

Jim Raynor: Fenix! No!
Sarah Kerrigan: What are you worried about, Jim? He died the way all Protoss hope to: in combat!
Jim Raynor: He died because you betrayed him! How many more noble souls do you need to consume before you're satisfied?! How many more innocent people have to die before you realize what you've become?!
Sarah Kerrigan: You don't even know what you're talking about, Jim.
Jim Raynor: Don't I? I'll see you dead for this, Kerrigan! For Fenix, and all the others who got caught between you and your mad quest for power!
Sarah Kerrigan: Tough talk, Jimmy, but I don't think you have what it takes to be a killer.
Jim Raynor: It may not be tomorrow, darlin', it may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's gonna kill you one day! I'll be seeing you!

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Jim Raynor: Fenix! No!
Sarah Kerrigan: What are you worried about, Jim? He died the way all Protoss hope to: in combat!
Jim Raynor: He died because you betrayed him! How many more noble souls do you need to consume before you're satisfied?! How many more innocent people have to die before you realize what you've become?!
Sarah Kerrigan: You don't even know what you're talking about, Jim.
Jim Raynor: Don't I? I'll see you dead for this, Kerrigan! For Fenix, and all the others who got caught between you and your mad quest for power!
Sarah Kerrigan: Tough talk, Jimmy, but I don't think you have what it takes to be a killer.
Jim Raynor: It may not be tomorrow, darlin', it may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's gonna kill you one day! I'll be seeing you!

Someone else already mentioned it but it's rather sad how Raynor and Fenix were pretty much best friends through most of the original games but he might not even have existed as far as WoL is concerned.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synastren posted:

Unless you go for a very greedy expansion, all early rush strategies are beatable, assuming they get scouted. Depending on the opener chosen by the defender and when/if the rush is scouted, it may be more or less difficult. The one thing about these early strategies is that they always come with severe repercussions if they fail. I have no problem with getting to a series of self-contained tutorial videos; Raldan and I have tried to figure out the best way to work SC2 multiplayer into the LP as it is an absolutely vital part of the game. We haven't yet come up with a good way to do it.
Showing off the challenge maps they have might be a good way to start discussion about it - from there you could encourage questions in the thread, that could later turn into exhibition matches between you and Raldan, possibly bringing in other people if the need arose. The challenge maps are basically tailor made to instruct players in good multiplayer habits from the get-go, instead of the SC1 problem where you had an entire lower strata of people who'd been playing for 300 hours and still had no idea how to use their hotkeys effectively.

It's probably impossible to make it to the same standard as your single player LP. No matter how informative you are and how brilliantly you present the multiplayer, all of it can be invalidated in a week by the next patch. Or the next expansion. That being the case, it's probably OK to pander to the fans that are more invested in your work, and since you don't have a huge youtube following yet I'd say it's easy to conclude that those fans are in this thread.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Psion posted:

So "war criminal" is equivalent in your eyes to "shouldn't be allowed to write things [because he's bad at writing]" and "all over the place" is one quote from one person, which doesn't even fit your argument. Interestingly, no mention of gently caress Blizzard forever from anyone - except you. As I said: Nice strawman.

I mean really? Literally comparing an argument of "bad writers should not write" to war crimes? That's loving sad.

At least the rest of your post, which I didn't quote, was reasonable and level-headed ... just like everyone else. I think we all appreciate that. But you really overreached on this one, buddy.

Oh for gently caress's sake... Yes, I used hyperbole to generalize the sorts of responses I was seeing, and to object to the fact that, as usual, an LP of a game from a major studio devolved instantly into people making GBS threads on other, unrelated games. I am plainly a sad, pathetic man, dazzled into incoherence by the staggering genius of your comments regarding the need for Metzen to be "locked away from writing anything ever again," which is itself in no way hyperbole either. You obviously literally believe Metzen should be arrested, because you've already established that to exaggerate in any sense makes you into a pathetic, strawman-employing loser, incapable of judging reality.

If we're actually going to be this pedantic, then I will happily bow out and leave you to complain about whatever you like.

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 6, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Coolguye posted:

Showing off the challenge maps they have might be a good way to start discussion about it - from there you could encourage questions in the thread, that could later turn into exhibition matches between you and Raldan, possibly bringing in other people if the need arose. The challenge maps are basically tailor made to instruct players in good multiplayer habits from the get-go, instead of the SC1 problem where you had an entire lower strata of people who'd been playing for 300 hours and still had no idea how to use their hotkeys effectively.

It's probably impossible to make it to the same standard as your single player LP. No matter how informative you are and how brilliantly you present the multiplayer, all of it can be invalidated in a week by the next patch. Or the next expansion. That being the case, it's probably OK to pander to the fans that are more invested in your work, and since you don't have a huge youtube following yet I'd say it's easy to conclude that those fans are in this thread.

I think we were kind of planning on doing the challenge maps anyway, but there is something of a problem in using them to jump into multiplayer. When Blizzard makes changes to units or abilities, those changes only affect the multiplayer segment of the game; single player is not touched at all. This means that if you install Wings of Liberty today, you would get the exact same experience as if you installed it at launch. Multiplayer, meanwhile, even if you only play without the expansion, is drastically altered to at least be as it was just before HotS came out. There are really, really major changes made between launch and the release of HotS, not to mention the patches that have come out for HotS itself.

As a quick example, there is a challenge map that involves using the Neural Parasite ability of one of the Zerg units. Neural Parasite is a mind-control ability, where the zerg unit is immobilized (you functionally lose control of the bug), but you can freely control the targeted unit. For the purpose of the challenge maps, the range on NP is about 9 (slightly shorter than siege tank range); in multiplayer, it is 7 (slightly longer than a marine's range). In the challenge map, the unit is yours until it dies, or until you release control of it; in multiplayer, it lasts for 15 seconds or, more likely, until your unit dies three seconds later. Even more damning is that this particular ability is never, ever used, despite there being a challenge map entirely devoted to learning how to use it.

Raldan and I have done quite a bit of casting for team Rip Zeez (the goon SC2 clan) in miscellaneous clan wars, and could probably leverage a lot of the players into doing showmatches to cast them for this thread. I think what we are really trying to figure out is whether they should be instructional videos on how to play SC2, or how to watch SC2. Is our end goal to get a bunch of prospective zeezers out of the thread? Or is it to try to get a bunch of LP forumgoers to watch professional StarCraft (which can be awesome)?

Exhibition matches between me and Raldan would probably not go so well, as he is noticeably better at the game than I am. :v:

GenHavoc posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake... Yes, I used hyperbole to generalize the sorts of responses I was seeing, and to object to the fact that, as usual, an LP of a game from a major studio devolved instantly into people making GBS threads on other, unrelated games. I am plainly a sad, pathetic man, dazzled into incoherence by the staggering genius of your comments regarding the need for Metzen to be "locked away from writing anything ever again," which is itself in no way hyperbole either. You obviously literally believe Metzen should be arrested, because you've already established that to exaggerate in any sense makes you into a pathetic, strawman-employing loser, incapable of judging reality.

If we're actually going to be this pedantic, then I will happily bow out and leave you to complain about whatever you like.

a) :goonsay:
b) There has been no making GBS threads on any other Blizzard games in the thread, except for drawing parallels to the story in this one to other games with the same writer.
c) I have no idea why you are so paranoid about this game turning into a Blizzard hatefest circlejerk, but it probably won't happen. At least, not until people start bitching about balance in multiplayer. :v:
d) Jesus Tapdancing Christ, calm down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synastren posted:

I think we were kind of planning on doing the challenge maps anyway, but there is something of a problem in using them to jump into multiplayer. When Blizzard makes changes to units or abilities, those changes only affect the multiplayer segment of the game; single player is not touched at all.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I didn't do all the challenge maps when I started playing, I just saw what they were there for, warmed up on a few matches against a buddy and was rocking. That's pretty awful that they'd let their training maps diverge so much. I mean I guess you could still use it for the hotkey training but...drat. Are the counters at least still fully valid?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AradoBalanga posted:

Anyhew, as mentioned above, the Medics are a campaign-exclusive unit. I am torn on that decision.

I actually really like the concept of campaign-only units since it lets them use a wider variety of things without worrying about multiplayer balance (and mp balance is critical for an RTS) but I would hope that - eventually - they bring some of those units into multiplayer once they fine tune the balance. Like use SP almost as a testing ground for concepts and ideas, then if you see people doing some really creative or cool stuff with a unit, see if you can bring that into multi without wrecking balance. Or just have one-off cool units that would never fit into MP but give the single player a little bit of flair.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 6, 2014

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Synastren posted:

a) :goonsay:
b) There has been no making GBS threads on any other Blizzard games in the thread, except for drawing parallels to the story in this one to other games with the same writer.
c) I have no idea why you are so paranoid about this game turning into a Blizzard hatefest circlejerk, but it probably won't happen. At least, not until people start bitching about balance in multiplayer. :v:
d) Jesus Tapdancing Christ, calm down.

Yeah, I have no idea where I could ever have gotten any of those impressions.

Y'all have fun with your thread. I'm sure it will be very illuminating.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Synastren posted:

I think what we are really trying to figure out is whether they should be instructional videos on how to play SC2, or how to watch SC2.

I'd certainly be down for the latter. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's going on (so far) in the single player videos, but whenever I try to watch multiplayer I just see a bunch of pixel mans killing each other. Which can be fun, of course, but it'd probably be a lot more fun if I had any idea why people were doing things and what the units were good for and how some people are brilliant at stuff.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The singleplayer was a blast

You going to do any batshit crazy UMS stuff?

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

ZenVulgarity posted:

The singleplayer was a blast

You going to do any batshit crazy UMS stuff?

I'm not too familiar with the world of UMS. I've only really played a couple. If anybody is more familiar with what's out there, I wouldn't mind getting a group to show them off.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Raldan posted:

I'm not too familiar with the world of UMS. I've only really played a couple. If anybody is more familiar with what's out there, I wouldn't mind getting a group to show them off.

"Movie" maps, tower defenses, and maybe if anybody carried the torch from Brood War, interesting Normandy/D-Day maps or Starship Troopers stuff. I remember some awesome maps where one player was a VIP character and everyone else joined him in a teamwork scenario to beat often very hard maps (although of course some were just bullshit and if one person screwed up everybody would fail). There's a lot more but I have no idea what's even being done with it anymore. Lots of interesting scenarios, but the way b.net 2.0 handles maps is terrible and only lists the most popular to join in some weird matchmaking system. Maybe that was changed but that's how I remember it when it came out.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Raldan posted:

I've played a few Arcade maps, and given that the entire Arcade is open to Starter Edition (read: free) accounts, I think that getting some group games would be fun.

Let me know if you guys want to play some Warships. :unsmith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
UMS kinda suck a lot in SC2.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Terran were always the best race for me SC1 and 2 because the music was rad as gently caress and in SC2 you could win any match by going MMM.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I never was one for SC multiplayer but I liked the story, so this is going to be interesting!

Mordaedil posted:

I just don't think they've got the writing chops anymore. This is like fanfiction, rather than what I'd expect from a multi-billion dollar company, known for quality games.
Yeeep, the act 3 plot of Diablo 3 was mind-numbingly stupid. The main antagonist is Hell's greatest military strategist, who over the act tells you all of his plans in detail, complete with moustache-twirling saturday morning cartoon-villainy like "Curse you, nephalem! You have foiled my plan again! But you will be powerless to stop my next plan, [explains plan] mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!"

EDIT: typo

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 6, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The only UMS map I liked back when I tried playing them was Smashcraft, which was a sort of Bloodline Champions-style arena battle game with the announcer from BlazBlue for some reason. If it's still around and you do some UMS stuff I'd recommend trying a few rounds of it, you might enjoy it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I haven't played this one, though I played the hell out of SC and Brood War. How's Mengsk dealing with the fact that he was overthrown by the UED and only restored to power through the aid of Kerrigan, only to promptly lose a major war against her? I have to imagine that there's an embarrassing empty chapter in Dominion history books between when Stukov and de Gaulle reached the sector and the final battle of the Brood War campaign.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people whose original experience with Starcraft I was the N64 version, so I played its final mission, Resurrection IV, in the end. It's about uninfesting Stukov, and Raynor's last line in it was "If there's hope for Stukov, there's hope for Kerrigan," so I always assumed, even back in the day, that Starcraft II would be about Raynor trying to bring back Kerrigan. Apparently the fact that Resurrection IV wasn't in the computer version of Brood War left everyone else thinking that Raynor still wanted her dead?

EDIT: to access Resurrection IV, one had to beat every mission in Starcraft and Brood War without using cheat codes. Not being very good at Starcraft, I have to admit that I had to save scum all the way through the last Zerg Brood War mission to accomplish that.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 6, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Patter Song posted:

I haven't played this one, though I played the hell out of SC and Brood War. How's Mengsk dealing with the fact that he was overthrown by the UED and only restored to power through the aid of Kerrigan, only to promptly lose a major war against her? I have to imagine that there's an embarrassing empty chapter in Dominion history books between when Stukov and de Gaulle reached the sector and the final battle of the Brood War campaign.

Never comes up. :v:

If I'd guess, I'd say that Mengsk has a good enough propaganda machine to make it irrelevant, though.

quote:

Also, I'm probably one of the few people whose original experience with Starcraft I was the N64 version, so I played its final mission, Resurrection IV, in the end. It's about uninfesting Stukov, and Raynor's last line in it was "If there's hope for Stukov, there's hope for Kerrigan," so I always assumed, even back in the day, that Starcraft II would be about Raynor trying to bring back Kerrigan. Apparently the fact that Resurrection IV wasn't in the computer version of Brood War left everyone else thinking that Raynor still wanted her dead?

I never actually heard anything about this mission before. However, I'm not entirely sure if those events are considered cannon, since Blizzard never released it for PC.

We'll be able to discuss this specific detail much later in the LP, though!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, there are, um, reasons to believe those events might not be entirely canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

Yeah, there are, um, reasons to believe those events might not be entirely canon.

Resurrection IV is a two player co-op map. On the N64. Where you need to have a second player in the room. As I was lacking in friends that played StarCraft I actually beat it juggling two controllers. :v: (It's not a hard map)

• Locked thread