Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can understand the frustration of people of voting against the interest of the country (as I see it). I mean, there's a huge disconnect between why people vote for a certain party and what that party ends up doing. Just like the Conservatives, who manage to make people believe they're their party, while actually they're the party of rich kleptocrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

More than anything, the way this thread treats anyone not orange makes me never want to vote for them now.

Non-partisan: That's actually very stupid.

Alctel posted:

There is like 40 NDP voters in the thread and only 3-4 rude ones, what the heck

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Well it's not like anything posted here is going to impact the outcome of the election. Posting is entertainment and there's not much entertainment value in pretending to tolerate Tories, their endless rationalizations and claims of victimhood.

E: vvvvv yeah that too

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 5, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It must be very frustrating for the Liberals and Conservatives to not dominate this thread. All that leaves them is the entire Canadian media landscape.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Helsing posted:

It must be very frustrating for the Liberals and Conservatives to not dominate this thread. All that leaves them is the entire Canadian media landscape.

I don't think the Liberals here are frustrated when it comes to the NDP. You guys have the saddest opposition I've seen in a long time. You're having an existential crisis right now with Mulcair and making excuses for how ineffective he's been has been funny.

Plus it's funny how frustrated you get when "dumb and pretty" gets any positive attention. "But but Mulcair is likable I swear!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Professor Shark posted:

Non-partisan: That's actually very stupid.

Let me rephrase this then.

The vast majority of NDP posters are pleasant people. However, there are enough who are not, and are so unpleasant that they have soured me on their party unfortunately.

Helsing posted:

Not at all. I don't mind not dominating, as long as it's not a case of being told your a poo poo for voting how you do. I don't mind being a minority in this thread, if it weren't for the fact that it seems to be a carte-blanche to attack me.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You guys have the saddest opposition I've seen in a long time.
"We're putting the government on probation" wasn't that long ago, man

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is right up there with "A feminist I met at college once insinuated men are rapists, I now I hate feminism and am becoming an MRA". Sorry feminists, you had your chance to win me over but you were rude so now you pay the price.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The weird part is that there are posters in this thread that think the conservatives won their majority on people voting for the conservatives and not against the Liberals.

What monsters!

The state of political reporting and engagement in this country is not at the level where anyone should pretend there are rational actors making well thought out choices here. Dion has a lovely accent, Ignatieff is a devious foreigner, the beard is angry, etc...

Insert anecdote about a buddy that voted conservative, and was surprised when I told him that he was to blame for not being able to find daycare for his child. They even ran on that as part of their platform, unlike most of the garbage finding it's way into bills at the moment.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't think the Liberals here are frustrated when it comes to the NDP. You guys have the saddest opposition I've seen in a long time. You're having an existential crisis right now with Mulcair and making excuses for how ineffective he's been has been funny.

Can you explain this? I don't like the direction of the party and would prefer a third place NDP that was more in line with my own views but I don't really understand how anyone could say that the NDP's time in opposition has been worse than the Liberals were. Say what you will about Mulcair but he's done a good job of pressing Harper on the senate scandal even if his party doesn't seem to be reaping the benefits.

quote:

Plus it's funny how frustrated you get when "dumb and pretty" gets any positive attention. "But but Mulcair is likable I swear!"

I guess I can't expect you to be following my particular posts in this thread but I'm kind of the wrong guy to go after for doggedly supporting Mulcair or thinking that he's doing a good job selling himself to voters.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I actually think Mulcair has done an amazing job in opposition.

But no-one gives a gently caress about question time, and the NDP always seem to be fighting a losing battle to get ANYONE to pay attention to them, even in opposition

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not at all. I don't mind not dominating, as long as it's not a case of being told your a poo poo for voting how you do. I don't mind being a minority in this thread, if it weren't for the fact that it seems to be a carte-blanche to attack me.

When did this happen?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

The vast majority of NDP posters are pleasant people. However, there are enough who are not, and are so unpleasant that they have soured me on their party unfortunately.

So you've become soured on the NDP because of anonymous people posting on the internet. And you work in politics? Are you sure you picked the right career path?

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

MagicCube posted:

So you've become soured on the NDP because of anonymous people posting on the internet. And you work in politics? Are you sure you picked the right career path?

He's just lying to rationalize his bad choices for he is a garbage-person.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

MagicCube posted:

ACtually, no. And I probably should have mentioned this earlier, and it's unfair and bad wording on my part. In person NDP people I have met have been incredibly arrogant to me.

Yes, I get it that your catchphrase is "Liberal, Tory, Same STory." However, yes we share some economic policies. However, no, we're not the same loving party or same loving platform. Stop claiming that for the love of gently caress.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, I get it that your catchphrase is "Liberal, Tory, Same STory." However, yes we share some economic policies. However, no, we're not the same loving party or same loving platform. Stop claiming that for the love of gently caress.

It'd help if people like Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella weren't so fond of phrases like "Campaign from the left, govern from the right". The LPC has a long history of being snake oil salesmen. I'm sure it feels unfair that people judge you based on the actions of the party long before you and Dreamy McHairdo swept in to change everything, a few of us are a bit skeptical having been burnt before.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 5, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If I based my politics on the people I've actually interacted with from all three parties I wouldn't vote.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Helsing posted:

When did this happen?

Well, take a look at the "gently caress those tory shits" last page. How about some gentle soul from the thread buying me two insulting avatars last year for being a lib?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

ACtually, no. And I probably should have mentioned this earlier, and it's unfair and bad wording on my part. In person NDP people I have met have been incredibly arrogant to me.

This line of thinking makes you exactly the same as those people you criticize. For all you know they could (and most likely are) reacting in the exact same manner you are, basing their entire opinion of the Liberals on a few douchenozzles theyve had contact with.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, take a look at the "gently caress those tory shits" last page. How about some gentle soul from the thread buying me two insulting avatars last year for being a lib?

Uh, how do you know that the custom titles came from Dippers? And how do you figure that people saying anyone voting Tory at this point is an rear end in a top hat an example of you getting attacked in this thread just for being a Grit?

I don't remember what your other custom title was about but the one calling you a confused census taker or whatever it was sprang from a specific argument about whether the central leadership was helping out Trudeau by extending certain deadlines (or at least this is how I remember it, it was a while ago). Somebody presumably bought you the title because they didn't like the way you were arguing not because you're a Liberal voter.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Well, this is a total surprise: "The federal government signalled its intent Wednesday afternoon to introduce back-to-work legislation after the union representing some CN Rail workers gave 72 hours' strike notice earlier in the day."

Pretty sad how the government can just mumble something about the economy and labor rights go out the window.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand paying for insulting avatars. Why not just donate that $10 or what ever to your own political party... or loving anything else.
Don't worry Bunny, the most infuriating political arguments I've gotten into have all been with NDP supports/workers. I still vote for them because I sadly think they are by far the least horrible.

I do actually kinda judge anyone who "supports" a party though. They're all pretty awful, at best one can tolerate a party more than the others. I get that some people have this naive idea of getting involved and doing good from within but it seems all the parties tap into this idea to simply get slave labour around elections. Yeah totally join this youth caucus we'll totally take your ideas seriously! Yeah totally get involved in your local riding office and push for (issue), we'll absolutely listen to someone who isn't a long time party insider!

I also find "supporters" start to get dangerous and unhealthy ideas of "loyalty" or "support my team" and it just descends into stupid tribalism, which probably explains most voters.

Probably a uselessly cynical outlook though. Sometimes I want to get involved in the local NDP but I'm a true leftist so can't due to minor issues of ideological purity.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 6, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

If I based my politics on the people I've actually interacted with from all three parties I wouldn't vote.

Actually, I met my MP last week (Townhall meeting about the post), and I actually like the guy. I might even vote for him in the next election. See, I'm an anybody but a Conservative voter. Who ever is going to beat the con is who I'm going to vote for. Is that bad?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Out of curiosity, does anyone here work or volunteer with the bloc QUebecois? It has been a while since I have heard anything from them since 2013 and RAdio CAnada has not hosted much news about them.

I wonder if it may be a little too early to complettely discount them out of the running, heck with only 4 mps they really only can go up at this point.

I could see the bloc gaining some support if they decided to align themselves in some way behind the Quebec charter, forcing a wedge issue with the NDP if it came to that. If they stay somewhat dormant and disorganized for the next two years than perhaps they can be ignored... but if the charter does end up creating a significant wedge, with the Conservatives, Liberals, Greens and NDP all against the charter, I would imagine the Bloc could stand to make significant gains by fully supporting it.

If that were the case, it would make the upcoming 2015 election a lot more of a gamble if the bloc did manage some semblance of a comeback.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand paying for insulting avatars. Why not just donate that $10 or what ever to your own political party... or loving anything else.
Don't worry Bunny, the most infuriating political arguments I've gotten into have all been with NDP supports/workers. I still vote for them because I sadly think they are by far the least horrible.

I do actually kinda judge anyone who "supports" a party though. They're all pretty awful, at best one can tolerate a party more than the others. I get that some people have this naive idea of getting involved and doing good from within but it seems all the parties tap into this idea to simply get slave labour around elections. Yeah totally join this youth caucus we'll totally take your ideas seriously! Yeah totally get involved in your local riding office and push for (issue), we'll absolutely listen to someone who isn't a long time party insider!

I also find "supporters" start to get dangerous and unhealthy ideas of "loyalty" or "support my team" and it just descends into stupid tribalism, which probably explains most voters.

Probably a uselessly cynical outlook though. Sometimes I want to get involved in the local NDP but I'm a true leftist so can't due to minor issues of ideological purity.

Much like posting a call-out on another poster, it is a gesture of outrage that makes give the righteous satisfaction will having 0 impact and no risk. It's like when D&D was happy that some guy's house burned down because his parents made above the median income (as college professors , no less). I've always figured it was very much a type of self actualization exercise: "Look at me guys, look how much I CARE! My politics matter to me sooooooo much, I'm willing to post all over the internet about them!" etc. It also helps that righteous anger makes you feel good about yourself, so it's a very easy way to feel superior to others.

This same excruciatingly stupid and boring pantomime plays out across DD&D over and over again. Players change, but the self-righteous histrionics and smug satisfaction remain the same.

Because honestly, who cares what any of us think about each other. Who the gently caress are we?

E: I mean, feel free to feel superior, god knows PT6A makes it easy sometimes. But multi page derails about who should really feel bad about their politics? Might as well gas this thread right now.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 6, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

On one or two occasions where a poster has a history of derailing or trolling threads I think its kind of useful for them to have a title advertising that fact, but yeah, 99% of the time it seems pretty stupid.

SpannerX posted:

Actually, I met my MP last week (Townhall meeting about the post), and I actually like the guy. I might even vote for him in the next election. See, I'm an anybody but a Conservative voter. Who ever is going to beat the con is who I'm going to vote for. Is that bad?

If you live in a district where there's a danger of vote splitting causing a Conservative to win then I don't think anyone can really blame you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Guigui posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone here work or volunteer with the bloc QUebecois? It has been a while since I have heard anything from them since 2013 and RAdio CAnada has not hosted much news about them.

I wonder if it may be a little too early to complettely discount them out of the running, heck with only 4 mps they really only can go up at this point.

I could see the bloc gaining some support if they decided to align themselves in some way behind the Quebec charter, forcing a wedge issue with the NDP if it came to that. If they stay somewhat dormant and disorganized for the next two years than perhaps they can be ignored... but if the charter does end up creating a significant wedge, with the Conservatives, Liberals, Greens and NDP all against the charter, I would imagine the Bloc could stand to make significant gains by fully supporting it.

If that were the case, it would make the upcoming 2015 election a lot more of a gamble if the bloc did manage some semblance of a comeback.
Last we really heard was Paille stepping down, and the Charter brouhaha, where they said they'd support it after Mourani said they wouldn't, so they kicked her out of caucus reducing themselves to 3 MPs. Mourani subsequently pronounced herself a federalist now.

So, maybe?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Baronjutter posted:

That ten dollars goes towards the most important of all funds.

Helping Lowtax produce another sequel to Doom house.

(or cliff yablonski freedom fighter, but that has been ages in the making.)

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Last we really heard was Paille stepping down, and the Charter brouhaha, where they said they'd support it after Mourani said they wouldn't, so they kicked her out of caucus reducing themselves to 3 MPs. Mourani subsequently pronounced herself a federalist now.

So, maybe?

That was kind of ridiculous. The charter has absolutely nothing to do with sovereignty. I mean i can understand that she would leave the bloc but there is no relation between the charter and independence. I mean she could have left the bloc and remained pro-independence.

You can be separatiste and not like the bloc or the PQ. Those things are not inter-dependent. I mean i am pro separation, yet i hate most of the PQ policies and always found the bloc to be quite useless.

It just looks like she switched allegiance to piss off people, which speaks volume about her.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 6, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I believe her argument for becoming a Federalist was that she'd come to see how the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms had a role to play in protecting the rights of citizens in Quebec. I think its kind of understandable why, if you opposed the Quebec Secularism charter and what it represents, then it might cause you to reconsider your stance on sovereignty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coylter posted:

The charter has absolutely nothing to do with sovereignty.

I think in a roundabout way it does. It definitely seems like something Marois and the PQ have drawn up because it's vague enough to attract at least superficial support inside Quebec, but will almost certainly be very unconstitutional, thus making it the perfect straw man with which to attack Federalism: "The Charter says we can't protect Quebec values, time to move out!" and so on.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Helsing posted:

I believe her argument for becoming a Federalist was that she'd come to see how the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms had a role to play in protecting the rights of citizens in Quebec. I think its kind of understandable why, if you opposed the Quebec Secularism charter and what it represents, then it might cause you to reconsider your stance on sovereignty.

So her argument was that daddy Canada is protecting an irresponsible Quebec from itself. Why was she a separatist in the first place, i mean this is a weak argument as all hell considering the vast amount of pro-separation arguments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SpannerX posted:

If the guy was living garbage and in it for the pension rather than genuinely caring about his community, would you still vote for him?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Coylter posted:

So her argument was that daddy Canada is protecting an irresponsible Quebec from itself. Why was she a separatist in the first place, i mean this is a weak argument as all hell considering the vast amount of pro-separation arguments.

Presumably she didn't think Quebec needed to be protected from itself, and now feels differently.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't really see how its a weak argument. The Quebec values charter seems like a pretty good demonstration of how a federalist government can help protect certain minority groups or ethnicities from their local government.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Coylter posted:

considering the vast amount of pro-separation arguments.

You have my attention. :allears:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Coylter posted:

Probably because Quebec has revealed that a majority of the populous in fact would be perfectly fine with persecuting religious minorities if they had it in their power to do so. Maybe she didn't realized what a bunch of racists her province was made up of, or she just deluded herself into thinking it wasn't that bad before the PQ's shenanigans brought her back to reality.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

PittTheElder posted:

I think in a roundabout way it does. It definitely seems like something Marois and the PQ have drawn up because it's vague enough to attract at least superficial support inside Quebec, but will almost certainly be very unconstitutional, thus making it the perfect straw man with which to attack Federalism: "The Charter says we can't protect Quebec values, time to move out!" and so on.

It's very divisive among sovereignists. It's a short-term electoral move aimed mostly at old, rural voters, not some mastermind plan to attack federalism. This PQ government doesn't care about sovereignty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I wasn't actually sure what demographics it's playing to. I always assumed it would split rural-urban, but then media reports here and there made it sound like that might not be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
It is absolutely catering to the "hurrdurrr i don't like brown people" rural population.

• Locked thread