Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Aren't you supposed to download it from within the game?

It sounds like that's what the problem is. It's not flagged free in-game like it's supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I called Xbox about it and they couldn't get it fixed while I was on the phone. I guess it's being escalated and in the meantime they gave me a couple free months of Gold.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dang, I was hoping the Fables game would have been fixed by now. :( I have a bit of time to kill tonight, but oh well.

back to dark souls

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So what's the goon hivemind's opinion on what is considered the best Halo game? I picked up Reach and once I finish that one I'd like a suggestion on the next one to play. I'm looking for the best shooting aliens in the face experience here.

Also picked up Forza Horizon. I think I enjoy it more than 4 because of the open world gameplay and the party atmosphere it has. I've been wanting a open-world racer with the tuning ability and carlist of Gran Turismo for a long rear end time.

I'm kinda on the fence about Live right now. I'm not really sure if I want to pay Microsoft so I can have the "privilege" of having 12 year olds call me a fag and tell me that they hosed my mom, but it'd be cool to play with other goons online.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 6, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you mean campaign wise they're all good, but the best overall campaign belongs to ODST I feel.

But really, H3, H1 Anniversary and 4 won't cost you more than 30 bucks if you want more Halo.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's the goon hivemind's opinion on what is considered the best Halo game? I picked up Reach and once I finish that one I'd like a suggestion on the next one to play.

Also picked up Forza Horizon. I think I enjoy it more than 4 because of the open world gameplay and the party atmosphere it has. I've been wanting a open-world racer with the tuning ability and carlist of Gran Turismo for a long rear end time.

It depends on what you want. If you want to play multiplayer, I think the Consensus is Reach > 3/ODST > 4. If you only care about the campaign, I think it's closer to ODST > Reach > 3 > 4. Regardless, I'd probably say pick up ODST next if you burn through Reach.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EC posted:

back to dark souls
I think it would be hilarious if Souls was a free Gold Game. I'd poopbat invade the burg all day every day for the whole month :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's the goon hivemind's opinion on what is considered the best Halo game? I picked up Reach and once I finish that one I'd like a suggestion on the next one to play. I'm looking for the best shooting aliens in the face experience here.

I agree with other people that ODST is your best bet, although I still think it's a distant second from Reach. At least you get to fight alongside Space Trooper Nathan Fillion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

I agree with other people that ODST is your best bet, although I still think it's a distant second from Reach. At least you get to fight alongside Space Trooper Nathan Fillion.

Space Trooper Alan Tudyk, too, and I think one other. It's basically Halo: Firefly Reunion Edition.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's probably the best way to describe ODST, 90% of the voice is all firefly alumnus.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Anyone still playing SSX? I recently got back into it and want some more scores to compare to, since the only people on my friends list are the ones who have been horribly breaking it. myself included on some tracks.

GT: AzMiLion

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ODST has a pretty great soundtrack, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ODST is really unlike the main Halo games in a lot of ways. It's not structured as a normal linear FPS, you spend a lot of it separated from your squad and roaming around a large city looking for missions, each of which shows in flashback what one of your mates has been up to and many of which can be played out of order. The flashbacks fit together to form not a grandiose space opera but the small, focused story of a group of companions having one really lovely day in the course of a war much bigger than they are.

And the music is great, yeah. It's dark, quiet, and subdued, just like the city itself.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Man I must have been the only one who didn't like ODST, I thought it was bland, boring and really generic.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

MZ posted:

Man I must have been the only one who didn't like ODST, I thought it was bland, boring and really generic.

Sounds like a Halo game to me!! :rimshot:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ODST was alright but Reach was far and away the best Halo game. Best campaign, best multiplayer.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

MZ posted:

I felt the same way my first time through. However, I was playing it on co-op while drinking and we were running and gunning like we had in other Halo games. It left me feeling sort of meh. However, I played it solo later and followed the story more closely (listening to audio logs, taking in the atmosphere more) and found it to be much more enjoyable the second time around.

It really doesn't feel like a Halo game, for better or worse, so that may lead to a more polarizing reaction. I thought it was an interesting change-up, but I wouldn't want all Halo games to suddenly play like that.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

AzMiLion posted:

Anyone still playing SSX? I recently got back into it and want some more scores to compare to, since the only people on my friends list are the ones who have been horribly breaking it. myself included on some tracks.

GT: AzMiLion

How do you break SSX?
I don't play too often because i'm awful at it, but i'll add you anyway! My GT is Tele Viper

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

barren_sky posted:

How do you break SSX?
I don't play too often because i'm awful at it, but i'll add you anyway! My GT is Tele Viper

You can use the wingsuit to basically skip 90% of the track on some levels. Also there's a glitch with the wingsuit where you can get a pretty massive forward speed boost if you deploy it just as you start a jump. I think they really should have disallowed the wingsuit on race mode (on the non-wingsuit runs anyway), since personally the fun of the game is getting down the run on the ground, not flying over most of it.

e: I'll add you guys as well. GT ThatTangent and there shouldn't be many runs where I'm breaking the game.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Tgent posted:

You can use the wingsuit to basically skip 90% of the track on some levels. Also there's a glitch with the wingsuit where you can get a pretty massive forward speed boost if you deploy it just as you start a jump. I think they really should have disallowed the wingsuit on race mode (on the non-wingsuit runs anyway), since personally the fun of the game is getting down the run on the ground, not flying over most of it.

True, but there's only a couple of races wich are well and truly broken though, I recall the SSX thread getting pretty angry with me and Luminaflare at certain tracks(Broken Elbow is probably the worst)

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Tgent posted:

Ah, I see. I'm okay at the racing bits so that won't help me! It's the trick runs that turn my hands into arthritis knotted clumps and the hidden death-pits that make me crush the controller in rage.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

barren_sky posted:

Ah, I see. I'm okay at the racing bits so that won't help me! It's the trick runs that turn my hands into arthritis knotted clumps and the hidden death-pits that make me crush the controller in rage.

I'm pretty decent at trick runs and turning the world into my personal half-pipe. usually several million above gold score, In some cases magnitudes above it.

E: Goddamnit,straight back to wingsuit shenanigans it is. Hey, check the time on Buckeye on Mount Tasman :haw:

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 7, 2014

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

losonti tokash posted:

I called Xbox about it and they couldn't get it fixed while I was on the phone. I guess it's being escalated and in the meantime they gave me a couple free months of Gold.

In case anyone didn't see it in the TWAU thread, if you bought the season pass and didn't get episode 2, Microsoft is sending out redeemable codes for it to your Xbox inbox.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

losonti tokash posted:

In case anyone didn't see it in the TWAU thread, if you bought the season pass and didn't get episode 2, Microsoft is sending out redeemable codes for it to your Xbox inbox.

Nice, mine was waiting for me this morning.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about Live right now. I'm not really sure if I want to pay Microsoft so I can have the "privilege" of having 12 year olds call me a fag and tell me that they hosed my mom, but it'd be cool to play with other goons online.

The only place on the internet where a 12 year old has called me a fag is YOSPOS so your mileage may vary.

And the best way in my opinion to enjoy Halo in shoot-a-bunch-of-aliens mode is to play Halo and Halo 2 and if you still feel like you want more of the same, go on with the rest.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Halo is probably one of my favorite trilogies, just because it does a perfect job of escalating.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I've been somewhat inadvertently playing the series in reverse order. Started with Reach because it was the first halo to catch my eye in the trailers and such and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Then played odst because the structure sounded interesting, and I liked the idea of playing more of a regular dude than a spartan. Ended up enjoying it quite a lot too, great atmosphere. Now playing Halo 3, not quite as good as reach but it's still pretty fun.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I can't stop playing Divinity II, it's hot garbage in just about every way, but there is something there underneath it all that I just find fun. I really enjoy the fact that my shields just kinda float like a foot off my arm.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Neo Helbeast posted:

I can't stop playing Divinity II, it's hot garbage in just about every way, but there is something there underneath it all that I just find fun. I really enjoy the fact that my shields just kinda float like a foot off my arm.
Bite your tongue, Dragon Knight Saga (the re-release) is fantastic. Yes, it isn't as polished as Skyrim or whatever, but it has SOUL. After the parade of samey RPGs, it was a breath of fresh air, and super fun.

Ego Draconis was more in the "hot garbage wrapped around a kernel of soul" department. It had some serious balancing issues that kept the game from being fun to actually play. But hey, DKS fixed all that, so cool.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
For some reason, I got 1000 gs for Divinity II. :stare:

I bought the remix last year when it was on sale, but all those bad memories were too soon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone else still actively messing around with TrueAchievements? I'd love some more people for my friends list on it and I don't really just want to go add random people from the SA leaderboard. Here's my page.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Will my enjoyment or understanding of Metro: Last Light be impeded in any way if I jump straight in to this one without playing Metro 2033?

Or is it basically standalone.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Will my enjoyment or understanding of Metro: Last Light be impeded in any way if I jump straight in to this one without playing Metro 2033?

Or is it basically standalone.

No, you'd be fine, but I recommend playing 2033 anyway just because it's a better game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No way, Last Light is a more refined 2033. You miss some stuff from the story of 2033 if you skip it but ultimately it's not all that important. Just go right into Last Light.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I'm going through a car games phase. Here are some thoughts on two games:

Forza Horizon:
My main beef with Forza games (I played 1, maybe 2) was that they were lacking in the actual 'game' compartment. I can't drive a real car myself, but it felt like you'd get more out of them if you liked driving real cars, fast. Fun enough for someone not really into cars beyond video games, but at the end of the day they felt hollow. To use even more ambiguous words, Forza games to me meant beautiful cars, great handling, not much game. And that's fine, since they are simulation games, built to get the player driving some dream cars at high speeds. I found myself driving bodykitted tuners with all manner of sponsor stickers (90% of the companies I'd only ever seen in car games or car television) against cars that didn't look like that. Not that I looked at much else than the driving line.

Horizon I got because it had gotten a reputation for being more arcade-y. Maybe being open world forced the developer's hand, forcing them to make the races more connected and part of a whole, either way I liked that part more. All the fluff about a car festival is fine, and the systems beyond just straight up races are also fine. I had fun! I was determined to have a different experience compared to 'core' Forza, and disabled the racing line, which was a really good move. Still, I was left feeling like I wanted more game stuff, especially progression: with all the money and free cars being thrown at the player, there will be a Ferrari (or equivalent) available quite soon. So again I was driving those bodykitted tuners against opposition that did not look alike, which this time I think I can really complain about since wouldn't a racing festival, especially the kind depicted in Horizon, attract exactly the kind of person who'd have their car, be it Honda or Lamborghini, all stickered out? (I loved Lambos in this game by the way.) The music was great! The multiplayer I tried once, and it wasn't.

I had fun with it, wish I had more fun with it because it is by all appearances really good! So I went on the hunt for something with more game, and along came Grid 2 (disclaimer: only some hours into it):

Oh man this game is my jam. The driving was all over the place before I got a decent handle on it, leaving me nose against wall time and again before the drifting made sense. There's a definite use for drifting in races in this game and I love it! I can finally take my hot bestickered import ridezzz and overtake all the assholes sitting in their Chevrolet and Dodge whatevers by throwing my car sideways into a corner (you can also drift the American muscle cars if you like). Every car has a ton of sponsor stickers and a garishly coloured vinyl, just like mine. Often times I get to first place somewhere during the final lap if at all, so the difficulty seems just right. It looks and feels great! The music is whatever though.

And there's a career mode! Ripped from the headlines story, with an up-and-coming racing promotion starting up by going viral on YouTube (actual YouTube, surprisingly good branding in this game) and the player being their star attraction. It's not a great story, but it helps create a feeling of progression. Progression also happens in cars, of which I have not many and half of them American muscle cars that I do not use. I do, however, use the Nissan Silvia, because I think it's my best car right now. I'm eagerly awaiting getting something better! This feeling is the one I missed in Horizon.

Here's my car game thoughts in a nutshell: If you like cars, get a Forza game. If the idea of an open world Forza game sounds appealing, get Horizon. If you like car games, get Grid 2.

After Grid 2 I'll probably check out Dirt 3, anyone have thoughts on that?

quote:

Anyone else still actively messing around with TrueAchievements?

I just signed up, sent you a friend request. GT is a rude butler

goethe gear xx fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 9, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

goethe gear xx posted:

After Grid 2 I'll probably check out Dirt 3, anyone have thoughts on that?

Have you played Dirt 2? Personally I enjoyed Dirt 2 a fair bit more than Dirt 3, not really sure why. I think the tracks were more thrilling to drive on. For both games though the non-rally events are pretty dull, and I think you have to play at least a few of them to progress through the game unfortunately. Despite that Dirt 2 is still my favourite racing game, it's so exciting to go flying down a tiny dirt road on the side of a steep mountain or through a jungle/canyon while only barely in control. These games have a fantastic sense of speed.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

flatluigi posted:

Anyone else still actively messing around with TrueAchievements? I'd love some more people for my friends list on it and I don't really just want to go add random people from the SA leaderboard. Here's my page.

Yikes, I'm #6

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

flatluigi posted:

Laughed at Buff Beethbroth and Pissboy Spastic.

If you mean actual friends list, you can add me but I still don't really understand true achievements. My gamer tag is the one about a dog with a picture of a cat (and I'm in 14th place).

There are a lot of people with over 100,000 gs now.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Nibbles141 posted:

Yikes, I'm #6

Haha welp I'm #1 on that leaderboard. Ask me about not having a life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's kind of crazy how many people with gamertags created with the Random Name button, are playing Dead Island online. And the Texan with the mohawk seems to be the most popular character (rather than the asian katana chick).

That said, I'm snowed in and have been playing it all weekend (I'm still pretty low level) if anybody nwants to get in on some Melee Borderlands Dead Island. GT: cj coyo7e

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread