Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
I believe they need to start a turn separated to repair into a full tank, but you can do it from the Strategy map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Powered through all of this last night, and caught the last update today, super enjoyable LP you have here!

Even if I haven't been exposed to Gundam since I was a wee lad and haven't seen hide nor hair of it outside of random model sightings.

One quick question, why is your conquest of Earth so focused, seemingly, on the non-blue dot areas? Are the blue dots not a signifier of anything special?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I love the idea of exponential tank growth through splitting and rebuilding, but I'm sure that it's hilariously resource inefficient.

Sounds perfect for Zeon.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

Cassa posted:

One quick question, why is your conquest of Earth so focused, seemingly, on the non-blue dot areas? Are the blue dots not a signifier of anything special?

The dots represent bases, the only places where you can build new units. They are quite special.

The problem is that Zeon is only allowed to conquer bases in a specific order- Odessa first, then New York/California, then Kilimanjaro...

He needs to take some of the other areas to protect his bases from enemy attack. Others provide him a path to the later bases, and still others just get conquered to make defense easier. Every area he takes gets him a little more money and resources, too. Not much, but every bit helps.

Oh yeah, and we're Space Hitler. Conquest is sort of what we do.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bluemage142 posted:

The problem is that Zeon is only allowed to conquer bases in a specific order- Odessa first, then New York/California, then Kilimanjaro...

I think you mean New Yark. :colbert:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Kilimanjaro also doesn't need to be 4th. Hawaii becomes an option after you take California and research submarines.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So wait, the Magella is actually better than the Type 61 in this game? That's kinda funny given how it basically exists so Type 61s have something to look down upon.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Magni posted:

So wait, the Magella is actually better than the Type 61 in this game? That's kinda funny given how it basically exists so Type 61s have something to look down upon.

Well, the Magella is a newer type of tank, also the Magella is actually a 2-part vehicle rather than just one since it can split in two and because it can snipe from two hexagons away so that makes it actually useful if you have enough of them and need that extra damage without getting hit back from non-ranged enemies!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
(sorry for the bad quality, i'm not very good at pictures :v:)

Could someone skilled in Japanese please translate this for me, I have no idea what any of this means, even after searching around! (I'm bad at this kind of stuff)

E: V Thanks man.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 9, 2014

rinruririn
Dec 28, 2012

Koorisch posted:

(sorry for the bad quality, i'm not very good at pictures :v:)

Could someone skilled in Japanese please translate this for me, I have no idea what any of this means, even after searching around! (I'm bad at this kind of stuff)

Promotion Report
○Karius

The people listed above have been promoted.
○Confirm

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Since the Trojan Horse has landed in Garma's backyard, he decides to go off and try and take it down. I'm sure that he'll be able to handle it.

Kycilia than calls up and asks if we want to establish a submarine force since I just finished developing a submarine. I say YES because all this does is allow you to attack Hawaii immediately instead of waiting until after we capture a few more bases.

New stuff available.

The actual High Mobility Zaku.

The Gogg.

And the Jukon submarine.

The new project available for development is the Z'Gok. I feel kinda silly that they show up right after I finish building a few Acguy squads, but oh well.

I also hit level five research, so I'll have another landslide of new development projects next turn.

The 'finished' High Mobility type is exactly the same as the 'test' type. I'm serious. There is absolutely no difference between the two, at least as far as I can tell.

The Gogg is, in my opinion, not really worth it. They're powerful, but also extremely expensive, and can only use their main weapon at range. Also of note is their absolutely massive HP, boasting numbers that you usually won't see on grunt suits until well into Zeta tech.

The Jukon sub's main purpose is to be a sea transport for your mobile suits. I don't particularly like subs, so I'm gonna pass on building any more of these.

And because I forgot to do this last time, here is the Magella Top Cannon. It can only be used by Zaku J-types, and you need to refit them so that they are able to use them in the first place. They allow your Zakus to attack at range, but the downside is that they are massive energy guzzlers. Unless you keep them near a supply base or transport, you'll only get about three or four shots from them before they run out of gas. For what it's worth, you can use Dodai's with the Cannon, but that will severely increase the energy consumption of the J-type's already limited supply.

I put the Black Tri-stars into our new Acguys. Because why not?

I give the order to attack Peking. Time to go back on the offensive!

A massive force is moving to take Peking. Johnny, Nimbus and Dell are moving to secure Glorious Nippon, and the Black Tri-Acguys move to scout out a water route with a worrying amount of enemies.

I should be able to handle those Guntanks, no problem.

The group managed to destroy a Guntank, but took heavy losses in the process.

...Huh. If I'm lucky, I should be able to handle this with just three Acguy squads. Also, while the screenshot above may say that there are 23 Federation units here, only about half of them are capable of fighting in the ocean, which is why the enemy force is much smaller than advertised.

...wait a minute.

:frogsiren: IT'S A GUNDAM!!! :frogsiren:

Okay, this is not as bad as it seems. Gundams are at their worst in the water, and this is most likely the Prototype Gundam, so it's not quite as dangerous as the RX-78-2 Gundam. Still, I have to be careful.

I have the Acguys go around and kill high-priority targets.

I lose an Acguy to a counter attack, which is unfortunate.

And here I just get greedy and try and take down a large stack. They destroy two Fly Manta squads, but I also leave them in range of almost every enemy on the map.

Needless to say, that did not end well.

I immediately call for a retreat, and despite an extremely close call, both remaining squads manage to successfully escape.

It's Peking time. :getin:

:black101:

An acceptable start.

Come on, you can do better than that!

Now it's the Hildolfr's time to shine!

:allears:

The Feddie's counterattack is weak and ineffective.

This has quickly become a right and proper melee.

Quick note: Notice how one of the Garma custom's don't have a pilot? That was Garma's old suit before he went off and chased the Trojan Horse, and I didn't realize that it didn't have an Ace in it until the next turn. Whoops! :v:

M'Quve is still using the Prototype Gouf.

That has to be the luckiest MP Guntank I've ever seen.

The Hildolfr's continue to prove their worth by annihilating an MP Guntank squad.

We suffer our first casualty on the enemy's third turn.

Fourth turn doesn't see quite as much action, but it does get me into a good position for the next turn. I keep the Fat Uncle nearby incase anyone needs a quick extraction.

At this point I'm just looking for an excuse to make another Hildolfr gif.

As I expected, M'quve came under heavy fire, but managed to survive.

Fifth turn.

For once, the Hildolfr's fail to kill their target. Just because we're winning doesn't mean you can slack off! :argh:

The Tin Cod squadrons make a go at the Fat uncle, but all they manage to do is put themselves within range of almost every single one of my units.

Gato almost gets shot down as well. Almost.

All in all, a good start.

Delaz beats bad captain.

---TURN 21---

New projects!

The Zaku F2!

High mobility Commander-type!

Better Goufs!

...the Zakrello...

Gaws!

And the Mad Angler sub.

After my various investments, I only had enough to double up the F2. I would have preferred the MS-07B, but didn't have the cash.

Now that we have confirmed the presence of Gundams, the Federation's growing MS numbers are starting to become an even bigger problem. Gundam's are absolute monsters and even just one can slaughter numerous Zakus and Goufs. I need to get those F2's and MS-07B's ASAP in order to stand a chance.

I'm sending the Acguys to Gundam town again. I need to keep an eye on that group because with most of my forces in Peking, an attack on Europe or North America would be extremely hard for me to repel.

I have Dell start to retreat since he only has one Zaku. Nimbus and Johnny continue their attack.

The Federation force here consists of mostly fighters, so once the Guntanks are destroyed, the enemy can't do anything as long as the Zakus stay grounded.

It's gonna be a while before I actually capture Japan, but as long as I'm attacking it, they can't send reinforcements to Peking.

Nothing new over here. My original plan was to keep these Acguys here as long as possible so that they can't attack any of my territories.

That plan went out the window the moment the Gundam started to move, and I got the hell out of there.

This battle is already won.

The Tin Cods are made to regret their mistakes

And to think, people actually voted against having the Hildolfr :allears:

Come on, guys. You could have easily finished off that Guntank!

That Tin Cod just will not give up on the transport.

OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING!? :byodood:

Oh, okay. Reality restored.

Gato takes some damage from the sub, and it's here that I realize something terrible. I don't have any Anti-sub weapons, so I can't destroy that submarine.

And now all that's left is the sub. Which I can't do anything about until I bring in a Dodai rider.

:sigh:

---TURN 22---

Got some finished projects.

The Magellan.

And the Zaku Flipper.

The Magellan is the only starting Federation capital ship worth a drat. I'll put one of my good captains in this and keep it around. The only thing it's really missing is a carrier compartment for Mobile Suits.

The Zaku Flipper is an upgraded version of the Recon Zaku. As such it has the same problems and advantages. S-rank sensors is nothing to sneeze at, though.

Dell is gonna be our Anti-Sub man for Peking. Although I doubt he'll be able to destroy it by the end of this turn.

The Feds have started fielding GMs!

I keep Norris and Ramba near a retreat point just in case things turn out badly, but hopefully the two will be enough to fight them.

Things continue to go swimmingly in Glorious Nippon.

I sent Kurt in the freebie Acguy to scout things out.

A few turns later, he's running for his life.

As I feared, I wasn't able to destroy the sub in time, but Peking will be mine by the next turn.

The war is starting to heat up with the Federation's growing Mobile Suit numbers. Hopefully, the Zaku F2, MS-07B Gouf, and Z'gok will be enough to keep the war going in my favor.

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 7, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
That first Hildolfr gif really brings a new meaning to Anti Air Artillery.

...I'll see myself out.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so the Prototype Gundam would be the RX-78-1, right? Can you actually get all 6 through the Federation?

also wasn't the Zakrello the final boss of Journey to Jaburo? I remember getting to the last level of that game and the last boss was a giant mobile Armor that started the fight by ripping off your leg so you were hobbling around for the fight.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

so the Prototype Gundam would be the RX-78-1, right? Can you actually get all 6 through the Federation?

also wasn't the Zakrello the final boss of Journey to Jaburo? I remember getting to the last level of that game and the last boss was a giant mobile Armor that started the fight by ripping off your leg so you were hobbling around for the fight.

That was a Zock. Effortlessly destroyed by Amuro in the anime but turns into an utter shitwrecker in Journey to Jaburo.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

So what are the differences between the various Gundam prototypes, if the -2 is so much tougher to beat than the -1? After reading The Origin, all I can really tell is the RX-78-1 had a slightly different headpiece, no (or possibly gray) paint and got nuked by an exploding Zaku before it could show off any performance differences from the RX-78-2.

EDIT: Also, I voted against the Hildolfr. What the hell was I thinking? :psyduck:

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Well the time has come to dump all of our resources into the perfect mobile suit: The Zakrello. The Federation will surely fall once we mass produce those!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

So what are the differences between the various Gundam prototypes, if the -2 is so much tougher to beat than the -1? After reading The Origin, all I can really tell is the RX-78-1 had a slightly different headpiece, no (or possibly gray) paint and got nuked by an exploding Zaku before it could show off any performance differences from the RX-78-2.

EDIT: Also, I voted against the Hildolfr. What the hell was I thinking? :psyduck:

The difference is mostly paint jobs and guns.

The RX-78-1 was the first of the RX-78s and was green and white.
The RX-78-2 was the Gundam we all know and love.
The RX-78-3 was the G-3, which was only in the novel and is gray.
The RX-78-4 was the G04, which was in a video game, was white and blue, and had a huge rifle.
The RX-78-5 was the G05, and was in the same video game as the RX-78-4. It was white and red and had a gatling gun.
The RX-78-6 was the Mudrock, which was in a video game. It was white and blue, and had a couple of shoulder guns like the Guncannon.
The RX-78-7 was the 7th Gundam, and it was pretty much the same as the the RX-78-2 except it was based on the Alex frame.
The RX-78NT-1 was the Alex, which was in the show 0080. It was blue and white and had a panoramic cockpit like the Zeta era suits.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The Gundam prototypes are horrendously expensive, but can ruin anyone's day. Hopefully that one isn't being piloted by a named character.

The Gundam Mudrock (RX-78-6) was never exactly a playable suit. In Zeonic Front for the PS2, it was one of the end-game bosses against a Federation ace. Interestingly, I think it's also the only suit of the RX series that hovers (ala the Dom).

Glad to see the Hidolfrs performing to spec! Looks like they're the mobile field artillery you needed.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So how far off are Doms?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

So, uh, did it never occur to Ghiren to just throw rocks from the asteroid belt at the Earth until it capitulates? Or set up a satellite network that fires down artillery strikes?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basarin posted:

The Gundam prototypes are horrendously expensive, but can ruin anyone's day. Hopefully that one isn't being piloted by a named character.

The Gundam Mudrock (RX-78-6) was never exactly a playable suit. In Zeonic Front for the PS2, it was one of the end-game bosses against a Federation ace. Interestingly, I think it's also the only suit of the RX series that hovers (ala the Dom).

Glad to see the Hidolfrs performing to spec! Looks like they're the mobile field artillery you needed.

Mudrock is playable in a few games and is often hilariously powerful.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
In the Battle Tactics games for the PSP the Mudrock and the Alex are major shitwreckers in the One Year War. It's kind of fun having the most powerful suit be a relatively obscure one.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ImpAtom posted:

Mudrock is playable in a few games and is often hilariously powerful.

IIRC wasn't the only reason why it was beatable in Zeonic Front was because its pilot was a total loving retard?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

EGSunBro posted:

Well the time has come to dump all of our resources into the perfect mobile suit: The Zakrello. The Federation will surely fall once we mass produce those!

Mock the Zakrello at your own risk!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

So, uh, did it never occur to Ghiren to just throw rocks from the asteroid belt at the Earth until it capitulates? Or set up a satellite network that fires down artillery strikes?

The asteroid belt is beyond Mars and they would take too long to get within usable range. His dad also signed a treaty that bans dropping poo poo on Earth as well as using nuclear weapons; so as long as he's in charge, Gihren has to play somewhat by the rules. And any practical conventional artillery launched from orbit would burn up in the atmosphere before reaching its target.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

GilliamYaeger posted:

IIRC wasn't the only reason why it was beatable in Zeonic Front was because its pilot was a total loving retard?

If I remember right this is correct. He was so hilariously bad that they assumed the machine was a piece of poo poo and scrapped it when from what I remember it was actually incredibly powerful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Meaty Ore posted:

so as long as he's in charge, Gihren has to play somewhat by the rules.

Aka, develop a massive death ray weapon by turning an entire colony cylinder into a particle accelerator.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I was finishing up Africa and starting to clear the last few areas around Peking when I somehow got this the turn after the fighting at turn 14:

:getin::hf::unsmigghh:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Ulvirich posted:

In universe reason are the Alaska treaty for the former. For the later M-particles make difficult as gently caress to get precision targeting from anywhere but close range as well as the federations own space navy contesting the the orbit even if only marginally.

Out of story reason because it would have made a far less interesting story. Still the idea is not discounted they did do the colony drop after all.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Aka, develop a massive death ray weapon by turning an entire colony cylinder into a particle accelerator.

He didn't drop it on Earth, it isn't a nuclear weapon, and if I recall correctly it was an unoccupied colony so he didn't have to gas anybody to get hold of it. Fair's fair. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

He didn't drop it on Earth, it isn't a nuclear weapon, and if I recall correctly it was an unoccupied colony so he didn't have to gas anybody to get hold of it. Fair's fair. :colbert:

Also the federation totally started it with the solar ray system.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Meaty Ore posted:

No, he just had to announce that he was starting up superweapon development there and suddenly everyone just packed up and left.
See, Gihren's thinking ahead; gas the first two few colonies so that next time you don't have to.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Meaty Ore posted:

No, actually it was a Side 3 Colony (the only Side that had enclosed colony cylinders AFAIK) and the residents were forcibly displaced from it.

It was also Cima Garahau's home colony, so that is funny too. :v:

[edit] Thinking about it, what happened to the Colony Laser after the OYW? Was it dismantled? Did the Federation relocate it somewhere? Was it just completely wrecked by its single (hastily rushed) firing?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 9, 2014

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I feel like your getting some of the tech rather late, or rather your unlocking it right at the time it showed up in the show instead of several turns before so you have time to produce it. Like if Garma is off chasing the Trojan horse he should already have a small fleet of Gaws, instead the first prototype is rolling off the line shortly after he starts.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Midjack posted:

The RX-78-1 was the first of the RX-78s and was green and white.

No green. Black and white, with some yellow and red.

quote:

The RX-78-3 was the G-3, which was only in the novel and is gray.

The RX-78-2 is upgraded using the same technology as the RX-78-3 (magnetic joint coating) at Jaburo. In essence, the -2 becomes the -3, albeit without the gray and purple paint job.

quote:

The RX-78NT-1 was the Alex, which was in the show 0080. It was blue and white and had a panoramic cockpit like the Zeta era suits.

Minor trivia; the RX-78NT-1 was originally the RX-78-4 until being retconned later. You can still see the 4 on the Alex's shoulder indicating it was intended as the 4th Gundam in the line.

There's also the RX-78-8, of which nothing is known. Bandai is probably saving that for a video game. Then there are other Gundams not part of the Project V/RX-78-# line. There's the RX-78XX Gundam Pixy, the Gundam Ground Type, the Gundam Ez-8, the Full Armor Gundam (built separately even though it started as an upgrade plan for the RX-78-2), the Heavy Gundam, and probably others I'm forgetting or am not aware of.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 9, 2014

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Vorpal Cat posted:

I feel like your getting some of the tech rather late, or rather your unlocking it right at the time it showed up in the show instead of several turns before so you have time to produce it. Like if Garma is off chasing the Trojan horse he should already have a small fleet of Gaws, instead the first prototype is rolling off the line shortly after he starts.

Alot of that is because of my early rush for Kilimanjaro, which triggers the MSG events. if I had spent a few more turns on research than that wouldn't be a problem.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Terpfen posted:

Minor trivia; the RX-78NT-1 was originally the RX-78-4 until being retconned later. You can still see the 4 on the Alex's shoulder indicating it was intended as the 4th Gundam in the line.

This was due to Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, I believe. It included a Storymode featuring the RX-78-4 and it's Sister Suit the 05. They were in what was basically an Aqua Colored White Base called the Thoroughbred.

The storyline ends with them getting killed as a fake escort to I think Darcia Bakharov, a Zeon Prime Minister on the way to a peace summit after A Baoa Qu. They were said to be escorting him, got attacked, and the 05[Bst] (the 04 had been destroyed earlier, and only survived under an extremely hard victory condition that I never managed) and the entire ship was destroyed, but as it was not the real Darcia, it worked regardless.

Apparently this didn't happen exactly like this in Canon, where the 04 was not destroyed, and they survived this and brought the real Darcia, because 05's pilot eventually joins the Titans later.

Or maybe it was for a different reason? That's the first time I had seen the RX-78-4 and 5.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

cokerpilot posted:

In universe reason are the Alaska treaty for the former. For the later M-particles make difficult as gently caress to get precision targeting from anywhere but close range as well as the federations own space navy contesting the the orbit even if only marginally.

Out of story reason because it would have made a far less interesting story. Still the idea is not discounted they did do the colony drop after all.

Antarcic Treaty, that is. It states that:
  • All uses of nuclear weapons are prohibited
  • All uses of biological weapons are prohibited
  • All uses of chemical weapons are prohibited
  • Dropping space colonies or large asteroids onto Earth is prohibited
  • All POWs must be treated humanely
  • All neutral territories must be respected and combat operations in these regions are prohibited
Almost all of these rules have been broken in the many UC series and OVAs.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Huh. Didn't realize the Mudrock was made playable in other games. Can you point out which ones? If nothing else just to see how it operates WITHOUT the idiot who basically hijacked it in order to kill you (he really held a grudge against the PCs at that point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I remember reading a let's play of this game over in /m/, where the lp-er played as the Federation with the challenge that he couldn't develop his own MS or MA, but had to steal blueprints from Zeon. It ended with a mass attack on A Baoa Q by Zakrellos versus mass-produced Big Zams, and it was awesome.

What I'm getting up is that Zakrellos are awesome and you should mass-produce them. All Zakrellos, all the time.

• Locked thread