Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rapdawg posted:

Age of Wushu was a fun MMO because it was broken enough in areas that I went into it looking to play something that tried to be an MMO and ended up different.

Good? No. Fun? Sure!

I liked loading up someone's Twitch stream, finding them in-game and then puking on them until they staggered around, then we'd have goons bounty them and put them in jail for hours. Half the time they'd try to keep streaming after being arrested. Can TESO do things like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unguided posted:

I liked loading up someone's Twitch stream, finding them in-game and then puking on them until they staggered around, then we'd have goons bounty them and put them in jail for hours. Half the time they'd try to keep streaming after being arrested. Can TESO do things like that?

There's literally no crime in TESO, even against NPCs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You kill a pig and some guy runs up to you and calls you an awful person. That is the most crime I have seen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what's the point of stealth in the elder scrolls if you can't rob the poo poo out of everyone

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

One free hit on a monster before you start fighting?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Corek posted:

Slavoj Vivec

Dec 26, 2012

Corek posted:

Slavoj Vivec

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Sounds like garbage (just like every other MMO). Actually, twice as bad because it's a loving TES game and those are garbage too.

are they going to make people pay for this poo poo?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

luncheon meat posted:

Sounds like garbage (just like every other MMO). Actually, twice as bad because it's a loving TES game and those are garbage too.

$60 (or $80 if you want to be able to play as Imperials) + $15/month + a cash shop.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

luncheon meat posted:

Yes, it's a subscription base MMO in the year of our lord 2014.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lonely Virgil posted:

Yes, it's a subscription base MMO in the year of our lord 2014.

I guess you might as well charge subscriptions for a few months because really why the gently caress not? Even The Secret World was subscription-based for a while.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

$60 (or $80 if you want to be able to play as Imperials) + $15/month + a cash shop.

wait a cash shop too this is the first ive heard of it

e: wow youre right

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

wait a cash shop too this is the first ive heard of it

e: wow youre right

it's really obvious they're setting things up for when they switch to f2p, they're just going to milk the hardcore fans first

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

crowfeathers posted:

it's really obvious they're setting things up for when they switch to f2p, they're just going to milk the hardcore fans first

i wish gamers could actually practice some restraint and not buy this garbage and make eso switch to f2p in the first month. that would be pretty funny

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

I guess you might as well charge subscriptions for a few months because really why the gently caress not? Even The Secret World was subscription-based for a while.

Yeah they'll most likely do well for the first couple of months because gamers (especially MMO gamers) are stupid like that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

crowfeathers posted:

You may as well extract as much from your most interested customer base as quickly as possible, as making a reasonable RoI on $200MM seems like a tough go at this point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Mallory posted:

i wish gamers could actually practice some restraint and not buy this garbage and make eso switch to f2p in the first month. that would be pretty funny

good one

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

crowfeathers posted:

wow

that's a glaring omission

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

crowfeathers posted:

the crime is the game

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

crowfeathers posted:

It's kind of ironic. There are a few quests where you have to steal items from inns (by talking with a few people and figuring out what to do to distract the innkeeper). If you try to take the item before you get rid of them then they catch you and don't let you take it. In the mean time, there are a bunch of other items sitting around right next to the quest item which you can just take just like that and nobody cares.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Lumpy the Cook posted:

just wanted to reiterate how weird it is that a sub based mmo is coming out in 2014

FFXIV came out last year and has a sub. Wildstar is coming out later this year and has a sub. The only reason f2p has been common lately is that there have been tons of really lovely mmos (like this game) being released and going f2p drastically lowers the bar since it opens the game up to dumb teenagers with no taste. If someone actually makes an MMO that's not a gigantic pile of poo poo they'll probably be able to get away with a subscription model.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'm cruisin for a bruisin

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

rainy day posted:

If someone actually makes an MMO that's not a gigantic pile of poo poo they'll probably be able to get away with a subscription model.

Is that even possible

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Overbite posted:

Is that even possible

nope because there wouldn't be enough content to keep people playing

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the perfect mmo would be when i was 12 with infinite free time during summer vaction

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
World of Wowcraft was pretty good when it was new and they did some neat things with the expansions but they are quickly undoing everything good they did and are making an already simple game even simpler. so now its bad

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the crime is the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the game isnt out yet it should be "will be a turd" op

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

stoutfish posted:

nope because there wouldn't be enough content to keep people playing

They haven't lately but WoW used to have a pretty good rate of content. There will never be enough content to please hardcore poopsockers but parceling out content at a rate that works for semi-serious players who also have lives is doable.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

the game isnt out yet it should be "will be a turd" op

The OP is too lazy to change it for when it releases so hes just skipping ahead and saving time. The OP is a developer on ESO is what im saying.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

stoutfish posted:

the perfect mmo would be when i was 12 with infinite free time during summer vaction

This is exactly why everquest was so amazing to me and no mmo has come close.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Corek posted:

Slavoj Vivec

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The emergence of excremental objects which are out of place is thus strictly correlative to the emergence of the place without any object in it, of the empty frame as such. Consequently, the CHIM in contemporary art has three dimensions, which somehow repeat within the CHIM the triad of Imaginary-Symbolic-CHIM. The CHIM is first here as the anamorphotic stain, the anamorphotic distortion of the direct image of reality — as a distorted image, as a pure semblance that "subjectivizes" objective reality. Then, the CHIM is here as the empty place, as a structure, a construction which is never here, experiences as such, but can only be retroactively constructed and has to be presupposed as such — the CHIM as symbolic construction. Finally, the CHIM is the obscene excremental Object out of place, the CHIM "itself." This last CHIM, if isolated, is a mere fetish whose fascinating/captivating presence masks the structural CHIM, in the same way that, in the Stormcloak anti-Dunmerism, Dark Elf as the excremental Object is the CHIM that masks the unbearable "structural" CHIM of the social antagonism. — These three dimensions of the CHIM result from the three modes to acquire a distance towards "ordinary" reality: one submits this reality to anamorphic distortion; one introduces an object that has no place in it; one subtracts/erases all content (objects) of reality, so that all that remains is the very empty place these objects were filling in.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

-The Thirty-Six Lessons of Slavoj Vivec

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
can i make an unthrappa if I play this game?

ed: I want to be a crazy cannibalistic wood elf and trick dudes into becoming my pot roast

Harald fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 10, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

rainy day posted:

They haven't lately but WoW used to have a pretty good rate of content. There will never be enough content to please hardcore poopsockers but parceling out content at a rate that works for semi-serious players who also have lives is doable.

wow had the best grind to content ratio ever

good poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Copley Depot posted:

can i make an unthrappa if I play this game?

ed: I want to be a crazy cannibalistic wood elf and trick dudes into becoming my pot roast

you can't kill any person or npc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No stealing, no NPC killing, no crazy modding, how is this even an Elder Scrolls game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unguided posted:

No stealing, no NPC killing, no crazy modding, how is this even an Elder Scrolls game?

well, you have to use skills over and over

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
it's almost as if they took away the appeal of the elderscrolls game and replaced it with assholes yiffing in chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Unguided posted:

It's not, it's just a standard MMO made by a different team except they have the ability to call things Argonians without getting sued.

• Locked thread