Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Well, that's disappointing. Mix and match is a kind of simple thing and its not like it was super complex to have to manage the five or six components.

Is it clearer about the stats of the various things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

After almost 6 years I'm finally close to where I was in Lost Odyssey before I deleted all my save games... And the fourth disc doesn't want to install and freezes up if I play off of it. :doh:

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

After almost 6 years I'm finally close to where I was in Lost Odyssey before I deleted all my save games... And the fourth disc doesn't want to install and freezes up if I play off of it. :doh:

Goddamn! You tried the Toothpaste Buff or some other home remedies yet? Worse comes to worse, you can buy a used copy, install it, and return it that same day?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I don't see any visible scratches and I tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth. Sadly no dice. The install fails at exactly 3%.

I may see if a nearby game store resurfaces discs or something. But I do think I'm reactivating my game access account to get a working fourth disc...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
LO's fourth disc gets damaged really often, probably because it's bouncing all over the case inside that cheap plastic sleeve. Mine crapped out too.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't see any visible scratches and I tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth. Sadly no dice. The install fails at exactly 3%.

I may see if a nearby game store resurfaces discs or something. But I do think I'm reactivating my game access account to get a working fourth disc...

No joke, I've had success with dipping my disc in boiling water before...

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I did that with OXM demo discs back in the early days of the first Xbox. :)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:toot:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Glad it worked, would have sent you mine if it hadn't.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Berzerker posted:

I played through Arkham Origins and had two bugs the entire time. I guess I was lucky but I really enjoyed it :shobon:

I'm partway through all of those games you guys told me to play except MGS3 (and Sleeping Dogs which I just got free through Gold). I found the Saboteur to be kind of a slog but that was at least a couple of years ago, I'll give it another shot.

You have to approach The Saboteur as the gloriously cheesy B-movie that it is. Randomly shout out "oim focking oirish", get into car chases with Nazis while driving a c.1912 tractor at 3 miles per hour, run over nuns, have a fight inside a burning zeppelin, parkour up the Eiffel Tower, enjoy a burlesque show, steal a prototype tank and see how far into town you can take it, zipline between buildings while being strafed by German fighters... god I need to play that game again. It has a button on the controller dedicated to smoking a cigarette. It's that kind of game.

The freeplay is the most important part of The Saboteur. Because there are sentry towers, V2 launch stations, generals, and a million other things all over the map, you can essentially create your own missions on the fly. In that regard, it is better than any other open world game in existence. It all fits narratively, because you are loving with the Nazis, it helps the main story, because removing sniper towers and checkpoints in freeplay means they aren't there during a mission, and it's just possible to make your own fun in so many ways.

If you remember to not take it seriously, you'll have a seriously good time.

Yay
Aug 4, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

After almost 6 years I'm finally close to where I was in Lost Odyssey ... And the fourth disc doesn't want to install and freezes up if I play off of it.
Plot twist: the final disc never installs.

That's a minor exaggeration, but its nearer the truth than you'd think. I assume one of the production runs for disc 4 crapped out without anyone realising, because--I kid you not--we went through 6 copies before getting a disc that would play.

The first couple of times we tried to return it, the store guys were (rightly) skeptical. By the time we were still bringing it back for the last times, they were just rolling their eyes.

Good luck!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

What did you end up doing to get it working zeeboi? I've got a similar issue with one of my games as well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Poured boiling water into a bowl and placed the disc (label downwards) into it. Let it sit for a minute or two, then removed it and gently dried it with a paper towel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

And this worked? Jesus christ, optical media is weird.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So the Deal of the Week: NBA2K14 and Fable II.

Meh.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ZeeBoi posted:

Poured boiling water into a bowl and placed the disc (label downwards) into it. Let it sit for a minute or two, then removed it and gently dried it with a paper towel.

Holy poo poo, that actually works? I thought every instance of someone suggesting that was an attempt at a joke. Unless you're messing with me right now....

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

coyo7e posted:

Warface is possibly the dumbest name for a game that I've ever heard. "PUT YER WAR FACE ON!"
Reminder that Wargasm was a thing that happened once.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah, I know the boiled water stuff sounds too good to be true. I'm just glad it worked. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zero Star posted:

Reminder that Wargasm was a thing that happened once.
Wargasm is actually kind of witty, though. It even rhymes!

Warface is the name I'd imagine the protagonists from Army of Two would come up with, if they were to form a game company and try to make an online FPS. Or maybe a ball player who formed a game company to break into the online gaming market.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 11, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I imagine that a Warface is somewhere between :mad: and :catstare:.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I tried out Otomedius Excellent. That was a mistake.

Bland gameplay, creepy fanservice, annoying high pitch anime girl voices (why is it that in every Japanese game female characters sound like they're being raped when they get hit?), just a shallow shell of a Gradius game. I do not recommend this game to anyone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So I tried out Otomedius Excellent. That was a mistake.

Bland gameplay, creepy fanservice, annoying high pitch anime girl voices (why is it that in every Japanese game female characters sound like they're being raped when they get hit?), just a shallow shell of a Gradius game. I do not recommend this game to anyone.

Its impressive how poo poo of a Gradius clone it is when its made by the company that a) literally made Gradius and b) literally already made a good parody game of Gradius where people are the spaceships.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Anyone play Splinter Cell: Blacklist? Thinking about going through it, just heard it sold like poo poo. Liked the last one though.

If not that, maybe Need for Speed: Rivals.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy poo poo, that actually works? I thought every instance of someone suggesting that was an attempt at a joke. Unless you're messing with me right now....

Nah, I did it on a pretty badly scratched up X-Men Origins: Wolverine disc that refused to install (it would always stall out around 30%) and it worked. I guess it allows the plastic to stretch out and perhaps come back together in a slightly different configuration.

It's a bit of a last-ditch attempt at a fix, but it can work sometimes.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nibbles141 posted:

Anyone play Splinter Cell: Blacklist? Thinking about going through it, just heard it sold like poo poo. Liked the last one though.

If you enjoyed Conviction you'll enjoy Blacklist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With Guardian of Light, should I not bother buying the second dlc level pack? You can only launch them by selecting them ingame, and the second one isn't an option, only one and three are.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nibbles141 posted:

It didn't sell like poo poo, it failed to meet it sales target but it did ok.

From my time with the game, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, surprising since I went in with the lowest possible expectations, but the stealth is super solid and you're a much better fighter now if poo poo hits the fan. I also like the customization aspect and the game gives you missions where both going loud and going stealthy is needed, so you can prepare load-outs for any situation.

If do get into it, please let me know if you're interesting in doing coop, there's an entire coop campaign as well as a set of coop only missions during Sam's campaign.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

We should play sometime. If you see me online and I'm in lost odyssey, send me an invite; I can easily switch games.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Well, that's disappointing. Mix and match is a kind of simple thing and its not like it was super complex to have to manage the five or six components.

Is it clearer about the stats of the various things?

Stats are still expressed as bars on the main tank page, though you can see actual numbers for stuff like loading time and the like, but there's no way to check them side by side.

Still no new maps either, hope they do that soon, I'm starting to get worn down with the same few maps, plus the lack of a good city map for brawling tanks. I'm still looking forward to tomorrow though.

Anyone else getting WOT or already got it? I need some competent people to platoon with (says me on a 49% win rate).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been clearing some room on my hard drive, and I see all these compatibility packs for Borderlands 2 taking up lots of space. Is it necessary to keep them all, or just the most recent one?

RBA Starblade posted:

With Guardian of Light, should I not bother buying the second dlc level pack? You can only launch them by selecting them ingame, and the second one isn't an option, only one and three are.
I'd like to know this too, since my fiancee and I have been going through the main game and she's bummed out about it being almost over.

EC posted:

If you've never used the controllers with the "twistable" dpads, they are an upgrade from the standard 360 controller. Not the best, but it's decent.
This is from way back, but I'm curious about the twisting d-pad gimmick. Is it basically a bad d-pad that turns into a good d-pad? Why not ditch the twisting mechanic and make the good d-pad the default? I assume there's something more to it that I'm not getting.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Minidust posted:

This is from way back, but I'm curious about the twisting d-pad gimmick. Is it basically a bad d-pad that turns into a good d-pad? Why not ditch the twisting mechanic and make the good d-pad the default? I assume there's something more to it that I'm not getting.
When you twist the DPad, the "corner" sections either rise to make a circle like a normal XBox 360 controller DPad, or sink down to be a lot more like a regular D-Pad. Look it up on youtube or something I guess if that doesn't make sense.

They're not 100% reliable but they are far less prone to randomly choosing an entirely different axis on the DPad than the one you tapped.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't make them like that because they're pretty drat fragile when retracted so if you use them in Not as poo poo mode too much they can break.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, EDF 2025 comes out in 6 days!? How did I forget this!?

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/earth_defense_force_2025/b/xbox360/archive/2013/01/31/new-earth-defense-force-2025-trailer-is-amazing.aspx

Aphrodite posted:

They don't make them like that because they're pretty drat fragile when retracted so if you use them in Not as poo poo mode too much they can break.
Eh, you'd have to mash them pretty hard. The most common seems people just twisting the things entirely off because they didn't realize they only turn 1/4 of the way, I guess.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605938 :getin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll :getin: when that thread has a less dumb title.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I'm buying a used Xbox 360. What's it take to wipe it or whatever I need to do to start with a clean console? Or do I not need to do that?

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Vander posted:

I'm buying a used Xbox 360. What's it take to wipe it or whatever I need to do to start with a clean console? Or do I not need to do that?

Settings, Console Settings, Storage Devices, Press Y to bring up options, Then Format. Asks for a serial number before it formats itself, and gives instructions how to find it.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Ok cool. Is it possible to have two accounts on a box? My fiancee and I are both going to be playing it.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Vander posted:

Ok cool. Is it possible to have two accounts on a box? My fiancee and I are both going to be playing it.

Yes, You can have two accounts(Gamertags), seperated by email addresses. Just note, if you both plan on playing a game online together (call of duty, gears of war, etc), You both need a Gold account, otherwise one person will be referred to as MainAccountName(1). But there arent a lot of games that allow split screen online anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

I've been clearing some room on my hard drive, and I see all these compatibility packs for Borderlands 2 taking up lots of space. Is it necessary to keep them all, or just the most recent one?
I missed this earlier, just delete all of them except the largest one. Borderlands 2 doesn't overwrite the compatibility pack it just downloads another one.

• Locked thread