Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

JT Jag posted:

Guys, the OP says no spoilers for stuff we haven't gotten to, but this thread is just packed with cute allusions to future events that people who haven't played the game might still figure out, and a few outright spoilers as to content from Heart of the Swarm. I for one would appreciate it if people throttled back on that.

Goons are the worst people. Also, there are many things that very poor in the game. Will try to avoid spoilers (besides basic unit discussions of what's on offer) in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I never got HotS myself because it frankly came out 2 years to late for me to still have an interest. I've been peeking into the blizzard forum starcraft plot whine thread occasionally and I eagerly hope the thread eventually gets there. :allears:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm voting for Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash & Grab.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda like how Tychus has an excuse at this point, and can actually throw Raynor off a bit. I just wish his attitude was more in alignment with trying to fool the audience consistantly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
As Raynor said, if Tychus had wanted him dead, he'd be dead already.

JT Jag posted:

Guys, the OP says no spoilers for stuff we haven't gotten to, but this thread is just packed with cute allusions to future events that people who haven't played the game might still figure out, and a few outright spoilers as to content from Heart of the Swarm. I for one would appreciate it if people throttled back on that.

Seriously. I have beaten this game, but haven't played Heart of the Swarm yet. This LP might inspire me to get it though. EDIT: Screw it, picked it up today.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 11, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda like how Tychus has an excuse at this point, and can actually throw Raynor off a bit. I just wish his attitude was more in alignment with trying to fool the audience consistantly.

I think that's supposed to be the point. We, the players, know that something's amiss with Tychus. Raynor probably would pick up on it if he wasn't blinded by loyalty to his old friend.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Combat Shields and The Devil's Playground

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Smash and Grab, for a change of pace, and Stabilizer Medpacks because it seems pretty dang useful.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I think that's supposed to be the point. We, the players, know that something's amiss with Tychus. Raynor probably would pick up on it if he wasn't blinded by loyalty to his old friend.

It could very well be, but it is a bit corny with the other captain commenting he doesn't trust Tychus, even as Raynor brushes him off.

I dunno, the setup of a plot does work, but it's still served to you here and I kinda prefer surprises in the plot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Raynor explains why he trusts Tychus so much a bit later on. It's actually a good reason, but for proper storytelling it should've been said a lot sooner. But, like a lot of people have mentioned, storytelling faults aren't uncommon in this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cythereal posted:

It sells his story that little bit more: if he comes across as shifty, well, Tychus is a proud man. The idea of him being rescued by a bunch of glorified lab geeks? That's gotta sting. So if he acts shifty or evasive when he's being asked about the escape, folks will just write it off as embarrassment. He has to do minimal explaining because others are so quick to fill in the blanks themselves.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Part of the problem too is that Tychus is from before we actually met Raynor back in original Starcraft. So to Raynor Tychus is his friend from the old days that he trusts even though he knows he probably shouldn't but we don't know him from Adam.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I think a lot of the issues with this game's plotting can be traced back to their decision to split the missions up into chains by contact, that can be done in any order. Thus it seems like the stuff that you do for one companion can't be put into the story for another companion because the game doesn't know if that's happened yet or not.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Calax posted:

I think a lot of the issues with this game's plotting can be traced back to their decision to split the missions up into chains by contact, that can be done in any order. Thus it seems like the stuff that you do for one companion can't be put into the story for another companion because the game doesn't know if that's happened yet or not.

Honestly, aside from the colony storyline that we have started with Evacuation, I don't think that is even really noticeable with regards to the story. The biggest problem is that StarCraft 1 and Brood War felt like B movies made by the Sci-Fi channel (note: not the current SyFy channel) in the 90s. Take the story more seriously, add in the expanded universe, and let Metzen start retconning things (some more subtly than others) as he's done since WarCraft III, and you get SC2.

Not to say that the plot in Wings of Liberty isn't a fun romp at times, but I don't think that having the missions set up that way contributes much for its relative mediocrity. There are plotlines that cannot be completed until other plotlines are done, however, so it isn't completely oblivious to other missions.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Also some of the characters who join us on the ship do have things to say that relate to missions, they're just not in the briefing stuff because they can't plan for you doing things in a certain order.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Synastren posted:

Honestly, aside from the colony storyline that we have started with Evacuation, I don't think that is even really noticeable with regards to the story. The biggest problem is that StarCraft 1 and Brood War felt like B movies made by the Sci-Fi channel (note: not the current SyFy channel) in the 90s. Take the story more seriously, add in the expanded universe, and let Metzen start retconning things (some more subtly than others) as he's done since WarCraft III, and you get SC2.

Not to say that the plot in Wings of Liberty isn't a fun romp at times, but I don't think that having the missions set up that way contributes much for its relative mediocrity. There are plotlines that cannot be completed until other plotlines are done, however, so it isn't completely oblivious to other missions.

I think part of this also gets down to how they unlock units, but it also has to deal with how the characters react to different situations that come up in each different story. In SC1 the missions could be rather clunky about how different plot points occurred, but it all still built up pretty well. One of the problems I have with the current set up in ANY game that chooses to use it (I forget the other major one I've seen do this but they exist) is that ultimately they don't end up with a very satisfying climax in comparison to their "end of chapter" climaxes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

I think part of this also gets down to how they unlock units,

This is my biggest issue with the setup. Some missions become trivial depending on your mission path because of the units you get. Siege tanks, for example, are far better at Matt Horner's first mission than the unit you're given in that mission. Wraiths tear through Hanson's final mission because they lack a certain weakness of the unit you're given for that one. Hellions are good in Outbreak, but Reapers are even better in my experience.

This method of unit acquisition messes with the difficulty curve of the game, I feel. Every mission is designed to showcase the strengths of the unit introduced there and tends to be good at it, but then that feeds back into my dissatisfaction with the number of units that you just won't use much in the campaign.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The main problem is that no mission can assume you have any units besides the ones from it's pre-reqs. If you heavily skew towards one line or another you can obliterate earlier missions. and if you pursue a particular quest line you can get tons of research before you're actually supposed to have it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
How generous a handicap does the AI get in Starcraft II? I'm replaying my way through SC I (up to mission 2-4) and I can't help but notice how steep a resource handicap the AI gets...in the tougher missions they've been getting 10k-15k units of minerals and Vespine Gas at the start of the mission, and I well remember that in the very final mission of Brood War, the three armies opposing Kerrigan start off with a hefty 35k units of Minerals and Vespine Gas each, making an attrition war kind of hopeless (um...I thought through many, many, many strategies on how to beat that stupid mission without cheating).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The only AI in SC2 that actually gets a resource advantage is the Insane AI, which gets 40% more resources per gather. The other AIs are just intentionally programmed to not play optimally to one degree or another.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I believe they're given basically infinite resources. Generally in missions, you're not really dealing with a standard enemy base collecting resources to produce units. A lot of the enemies you see are usually set, where they'll plan to make X units to attack at time Y. Infinite resources isn't a big deal because a ton of what you'll be dealing with is scripted. When you can make units rain from the sky, resource limitations aren't what you're worried about.

The missions in SC2 are also a bit more dynamic than the SC1 style missions. I hate playing some of the later missions on BW because there are about 7 missions that are all about assaulting a heavily guarded base. The most reliable strategies generally being to make as large an army as possible before attempting to break the base. Its an excruciating mission type and I'm glad they did away with it.

If you're playing a standard game vs AI, yeah, there are AI you can fight that can have faster resource gathering or no fog of war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Patter Song posted:

How generous a handicap does the AI get in Starcraft II? I'm replaying my way through SC I (up to mission 2-4) and I can't help but notice how steep a resource handicap the AI gets...in the tougher missions they've been getting 10k-15k units of minerals and Vespine Gas at the start of the mission, and I well remember that in the very final mission of Brood War, the three armies opposing Kerrigan start off with a hefty 35k units of Minerals and Vespine Gas each, making an attrition war kind of hopeless (um...I thought through many, many, many strategies on how to beat that stupid mission without cheating).

Go berserk. Do not defend for longer than you absolutely must. I remember being able to take out the Protoss early, which reduced the pressure on me quite a bit, then making a series of massive airstrike on the UED. Mengsk is the easiest to deal with, so leave him last.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Raldan posted:

The missions in SC2 are also a bit more dynamic than the SC1 style missions. I hate playing some of the later missions on BW because there are about 7 missions that are all about assaulting a heavily guarded base. The most reliable strategies generally being to make as large an army as possible before attempting to break the base. Its an excruciating mission type and I'm glad they did away with it.

I don't know, the later Terran missions are just fun for making multiple command centres and nuke silo's just so you can break their defenses in one irradiated blast :krad:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Patter Song posted:

The way I beat it was to head to the bottom left of the map and then attack the terran expansion there from behind the minerals the SCV's are mining. From there it was a matter of expanding and attacking the rest of the left-side Terran from the bottom of the map. The hardest part is breaking out of the middle I guess.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

I don't know, the later Terran missions are just fun for making multiple command centres and nuke silo's just so you can break their defenses in one irradiated blast :krad:

There are a couple of Wings missions that are hilarious to do with heavy nukes, and I always rush down the line of missions that allows for such for the sake of humor.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Junior G-man posted:

That's how I handled the last mission of the original SC: I don't know if I got lucky or the AI glitched or what, but I was able to send Ghosts to one corner of the Zerg base that saw absolutely no traffic. From there, I nuked the poo poo out of everything. Not exactly playing fair, but on the other hand, who cares, I won.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

Mission

Smash and Grab: 19

The Devil's Playground: 13

Upgrade

Stabilizer Medpacks: 17

Combat Shields: 13

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
How often does this go on sale? Pretty interested in playing it myself (I downloaded the introduction that you can "upgrade") but it seems a bit steep.

Really enjoying the let's play.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What are you talking about, "go on sale"? It's a Blizzard game. They tend to stay at their release price indefinitely. To be fair, they're usually worth it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CountFosco posted:

How often does this go on sale? Pretty interested in playing it myself (I downloaded the introduction that you can "upgrade") but it seems a bit steep.

Really enjoying the let's play.

You can download the Starter Edition for Wings of Liberty which lets you play multiplayer and the first five Campaign missions:https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What are you talking about, "go on sale"? It's a Blizzard game. They tend to stay at their release price indefinitely. To be fair, they're usually worth it.

They do tend to eventually bundle things together, which effectively discounts them, but yeah they don't generally have a lot of sales.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Marauder/Good Medic is a cool combo.

gg wp democracy

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sunning posted:

You can download the Starter Edition for Wings of Liberty which lets you play multiplayer and the first five Campaign missions:https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

They also opened up the entirety of Arcade to Starter Edition users.

ed: The Wings of Liberty + Heart of the Swarm bundle is $40.

glad i can talk because i cant read

Synastren fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2014

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Yeah, the starter edition is what I have. This link that I saw got me to thinking about sales: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/11767636/holiday-sale-save-up-to-75-12-2-2013

I think I have to wait longer. Right now getting both would be $70, which is a bit more than I want to spend.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

CountFosco posted:

Yeah, the starter edition is what I have. This link that I saw got me to thinking about sales: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/11767636/holiday-sale-save-up-to-75-12-2-2013

I think I have to wait longer. Right now getting both would be $70, which is a bit more than I want to spend.

My mistake about pricing.

Honestly, it was a surprise when they went on sale last time. You might need to wait until the winter holidays to see if they go on sale again, but I wouldn't anticipate them going on sale before then. They might go on sale during the summer, but I doubt it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I think Blizzard's had a Black Friday promo of some kind the last couple of years, but yeah, you'll be waiting a while.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Well, it works fine alongside their release schedule. I'm putting off buying Heart of the Swarm until Whispers of the Void comes out, since hey I'll probably shave 10 bucks off buying them together.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Sorry if this was brought up already, but could you go over the difference between macro/micro in one of your videos? Assuming someone has never heard the terms before would probably help a bit.

Also maybe go a bit more indepth on why you want to stutter-step, move all your guys so they are all in range, that kind of thing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Sorry if this was brought up already, but could you go over the difference between macro/micro in one of your videos? Assuming someone has never heard the terms before would probably help a bit.

Also maybe go a bit more indepth on why you want to stutter-step, move all your guys so they are all in range, that kind of thing.

I'm just going to talk off the top of my head but in the terms of this game it boils down to this:

Macros are linked sets of orders or commands performed sequentially by way of a macro key (a lot of keyboards have dedicated macro keys now, for example) or manually by a player. I'm used to the YE OLDE DAYES and assume it's just hotkeys and reflexes when people bring it up now.

Micromanagement, or "microing" is just a term used to refer to the management of units. It's an exhaustive topic that can be simply explained as thoughtful decisions for each individual in an army or proper resource usage, etc. One good example is how he will stutter-step as you mentioned, that's just him giving his marines faster attack rate. Very few enemies (or none, IIRC) actually have an uninterrupted stream of damage and it's all done in bursts, so even though you see marines firing non-stop their damage is only being done incrementally. By constantly ordering attacks they get to do more damage overtime, increasing DPS.

You may even want to group up certain units who have very particular abilities so they don't follow the one big horde you have and you can activate their potentials at specific times etc.

e. :goonsay:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Actually, macro corresponds to your strategic-level decisions. Managing your economy, building/ moving your groups around when they aren't fighting, and how you respond to the enemy's overall battle strategy. Micro, on the other hand, refers to tactical decisions. How you move individual units or groups, your triggering of abilities, and what you decide to attack when the battle is joined. Micro and macro are difficult to balance because they both require a certain amount of attention, but your good players can do both simultaneously.

• Locked thread