Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VDay posted:

And the #1 thing that gets them even angrier is when I just reply with 'Thanks!' to every message they send. Like, no other response is even close.

This works great in real life too.

I remember one time in particular I was in the car waiting on a left turn. Despite there being a lot of oncoming traffic, the guy behind me was laying on the horn expecting to weave through it like Frogger or something. After I had made the turn and got out in the parking lot, I notice the guy is still there in the turn lane waiting for me to notice him. He's leaning out of his wounding shouting every obscenity and epithet he can think of. I just give him a big smile, and thumbs up, and say "Thanks!".

He turned into a cartoon character. He was bouncing up and down in his seat, choking on his own words. I was half expecting steam to start shooting from his ears. Just absolutely vibrating with rage and motioning to everyone around him as if they'd understand how I had wronged him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Radiohead is to boring uninteresting people as Tool is to teenaged stoners.

Surprisingly accurate the more I think about it. Especially given I've not paid any attention to Radiohead OR Tool since I stopped being a teenage stoner.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's easy to be a dickhead on the internet. I think the case I felt most like a douche-bag was during a session of Dark Souls. I was desperately trying to do some nonsense in Anor Londo and I got invaded twice by the same guy who utterly reamed me. I'm talking one-hit KO's when all I could do was hit the dude several times for an insignificant amount of damage. I sent him a completely over the top voice message ie: "gently caress off and get a job", "your a cheating whore" relatively vile poo poo considering the situation. In fairness I shouldn't have been playing Dark Souls on my day off right after giving up smoking but that's neither here nor there.

Dude responded very casually telling me to "take a deep breath, switch off my xbox and go outside", sent him another rage-mail telling him to "go gently caress himself etc". Nothing particularly clever or witty but I was in a right bad mood at the time and probably should have been doing something a bit more relaxing.

Guy eventually adds me onto a steam voice chat, casually explains why he's got such overpowered gear and ended up giving me a half hour long question and answer session on the finer points of Dark Souls. Now I've mouthed off in video-games before and thought nothing of it. It's not a nice thing to do sure but hey, I'm just a person, I can get agitated to the point of saying over-the-top poo poo I don't necessarily mean.

Thing is nothing made me feel like more of a wanker than this dude taking his time to explain what I was doing wrong, talk me through how to get better and assisting me in what is a fairly obnoxious and unfriendly game. So thanks to Omnisent, dark souls master and tolerator of uppity dipshits.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

It's easy to be a dickhead on the internet.
It's pretty easy in real life, too. Just ask your high-school self!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The cynical side of me thinks that this is a problem that won't be solved until we grow older and teach the next generation of kids that this is something that should not be done.
You can't fix human nature.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Since Dota and Assholes were mentioned, here's a typical day in the Australian Dota Queue:

And if you think goons are any better:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being a jerk in a video game is a completely separate issue from telling someone you're glad their dad died. The internet is the middle ground between those two things but it is still possible to take 'being a dick' too far, but some would argue that the "beauty" of the internet is that most of the time you can say whatever you want and get off scot-free.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Valve actually talked about Dota's communication ban system during a Steam Dev Days talk on data-driven design. Here's the relevant slide text:

quote:

Dota 2

Improve Player Communication
  • Explicit: Reduce negative communication
  • Data-Driven: Chat, reports, forums, emails, quitting
  • Theory-Driven: No feedback loop to punish negativity
  • Measurements: Chat, reports, ban rates, recidivism
  • Iterative: Will this work in TF2? Do these systems scale?
Hypothesis: Automating communication bans will reduce negativity in-game

Results
  • 35% fewer negative words used in chat
  • 32% fewer communication reports
  • 1% of active player base is currently banned
  • 61% of banned players only receive one ban
Clearly a ways to go, but it's interesting to have actual cold statistics behind this sort of thing.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 12, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is it just me, or does 1% of the player base being banned sound like a lot? I wonder what percentage of the US population is currently in jail.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CJacobs posted:

Being a jerk in a video game is a completely separate issue from telling someone you're glad their dad died. The internet is the middle ground between those two things but it is still possible to take 'being a dick' too far, but some would argue that the "beauty" of the internet is that most of the time you can say whatever you want and get off scot-free.

I love that people thought sticking people's real names next to the racist, homophobic bullshit they vomit out on youtube would calm it down.

Nope, now it just lets you know John Smith from Canada thinks Justin Beiber is a "queer satan, chemtrails ron paul 2016".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CJacobs posted:

Any amount of "being a dick" is taking it too far.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

404notfound posted:

Is it just me, or does 1% of the player base being banned sound like a lot? I wonder what percentage of the US population is currently in jail.
0.76%, or one out of every 100 adults. That is, unless Wapo's telling porkies.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Consider the internet forum we've been posting on for close to a decade.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No people are always going to be a dick sometimes. Everyone does it intentionally and unintentionally sometimes. I can guarantee that at some point in your life you've been a complete rear end in a top hat regardless of intentions. It's a fact of life, human nature and you can't expect people to turn that off. It's ridiculous to say that everyone should just evolve into higher life forms beyond the need for negativity.

The problem is that both sides are right to various degrees. It's not really an answer to just expect everyone to be nice to everyone at all times. That's not even touching on the fact that often what one person sees as nice is insulting to other people. Yes people should think a bit and not just always be a dick but you also have to understand that no matter what you do someone will have a negative opinion of you. While it often comes out of the mouths of morons there is still a point behind it that has some validity. You sometimes have to let something go and take it on the chin.

Also the dota stats are a bit incorrect because plenty of people create throwaway steam accounts to troll beginner matches. Those accounts are still counted as active players even though multiples belong to the same person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem is that people think being a dick is funny. That's why griefing exists in video games. That's why trolling exists as a concept. It's not funny to anyone but the person being the dick in that situation, but if you call them on that, you'll get "u mad bro :xd:" as a response. If acting like an rear end in a top hat wasn't self-fulfilling then it wouldn't be an issue, but like people have been saying in this discussion, it's just human nature. Which sucks, but there's not a lot you can do other than moderate it where you have the power to do so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

404notfound posted:

Banned could mean a lot of things, in this context I think they mean Chat banned. You can still play the game normally but you can't chat, only use the canned chat hotkeys. There's a more severe form of ban where they throw you into a completely different queue from everyone else, basically you play in rear end in a top hat Land but I THINK you can't get put into that from chat alone

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Kins posted:

0.76%, or one out of every 100 adults. That is, unless Wapo's telling porkies.

Aw man, that is depressing :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Banned could mean a lot of things, in this context I think they mean Chat banned. You can still play the game normally but you can't chat, only use the canned chat hotkeys. There's a more severe form of ban where they throw you into a completely different queue from everyone else, basically you play in rear end in a top hat Land but I THINK you can't get put into that from chat alone
Yeah, I think Valve only completely ban from the game in the event of outright cheating. Everything else gets you either the Low Priority Queue (rear end in a top hat Land) or some other more specific form of wrist-slapping (chat bans etc.). I'm not well-learned on Dota so feel free to tell me I'm wrong on that.

CS:GO is also starting to evolve anti-bastard systems that lock you out of the super-serious competitive matchmaking mode for increasing periods of time. It's interesting to see this sort of thing evolve.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Titanfall is the game Jeff wants to play in that DICE segment (or one of them), isn't it? It sounded like he couldn't wait to talk about it (today?).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Kins posted:

Yeah, I think Valve only completely ban from the game in the event of outright cheating. Everything else gets you either the Low Priority Queue (rear end in a top hat Land) or some other more specific form of wrist-slapping (chat bans etc.). I'm not well-learned on Dota so feel free to tell me I'm wrong on that.

CS:GO is also starting to evolve anti-bastard systems that lock you out of the super-serious competitive matchmaking mode for increasing periods of time. It's interesting to see this sort of thing evolve.

In DOTA when you're in LPQ you can't play ranked matchmaking, can only play certain game modes with other LPQ people, are in it for a certain amount of games (that you actually have to complete, if you leave I think they extend your sentence) and you don't get any of the random cosmetic drops or account experience. Basically, you can play that way forever if you WANT to, but if you're a normal person and don't want to you'll quickly stop being a dick.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Titanfall is the game Jeff wants to play in that DICE segment (or one of them), isn't it? It sounded like he couldn't wait to talk about it (today?).

Jeff loves that kind of shooter.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Not gonna lie I'm pretty excited for it too. I enjoyed the hell out of CoD4 and if it's just that with mechs/mechanized suits I'll be happy.

Hope it doesn't suck though

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Barent posted:

Not gonna lie I'm pretty excited for it too. I enjoyed the hell out of CoD4 and if it's just that with mechs/mechanized suits I'll be happy.

Hope it doesn't suck though

Same. Got fed up with CoD after MW3 but I'm unjustifiably excited about Titanfall. Something about those big robots I guess. I think it'll be a perfectly competent online shooter but I'd be shocked if it managed to gain yearly outings in the same way as CoD.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I thought Jeff was referring to Call of Duty related stuff. I'm more excited for a longer dev cycle for COD. Its like that announcement was timed against something else.

Now Activision needs to free Raven, and let them make a new Hexen game.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I love that people thought sticking people's real names next to the racist, homophobic bullshit they vomit out on youtube would calm it down.

Nope, now it just lets you know John Smith from Canada thinks Justin Beiber is a "queer satan, chemtrails ron paul 2016".

It will help, 20 years from now, with the next generation. It'll take time before enough people are denied jobs/college entry/grants/etc. due to the foul things they said when they were 12 that they actually start supervising their own children's behavior.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

It will help, 20 years from now, with the next generation. It'll take time before enough people are denied jobs/college entry/grants/etc. due to the foul things they said when they were 12 that they actually start supervising their own children's behavior.
How many parents practically used/use a TV as a surrogate parent? A computer? A console? A tablet or phone? Kids will just be left alone with whatever the newest and most interesting consumer technology of the day is, and online poo poo-talking will continue as ever. Maybe aliases will come back into vogue, but that's about the only surprise in store.

I'm no psychic, but if the last 30-50 years is any indication this seems about as likely as fires, floods, the melting of the icecaps and Dark Souls fans starting to skeeve people out with their unmoving rictus grins.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ramagamma posted:

Same. Got fed up with CoD after MW3 but I'm unjustifiably excited about Titanfall. Something about those big robots I guess. I think it'll be a perfectly competent online shooter but I'd be shocked if it managed to gain yearly outings in the same way as CoD.
After Ghosts and BF4 all I really want is an online shooter that has decent netcode. That's it. That's how far the bar has fallen for me.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There's nothing that appears interesting about Titanfall. It's Call of Duty with dudes running around with assault rifles killing each other in a couple shots. And there's mechs sometimes. And bots.

I don't get why people are losing their minds over it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The bot thing in Titanfall is such a turnoff to me, I just can't figure out the logic behind that decision.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Jackie D posted:

The bot thing in Titanfall is such a turnoff to me, I just can't figure out the logic behind that decision.
Helps people who aren't as good be able to get kills for their Titan.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overbite posted:

There's nothing that appears interesting about Titanfall. It's Call of Duty with dudes running around with assault rifles killing each other in a couple shots. And there's mechs sometimes. And bots.

There's some parkour stuff that apparently results in cool map traversal tricks. Remember map traversal tricks?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Overbite posted:

Well for me personally, it's the fact it's an exciting new franchise which will fill the Call of Duty space I've chosen to leave empty since CoD got boring and stale.

That and the fluidity of movement looks interesting, especially compared to CoD or most other online shooters where you run about on the floor like a normal dude. I'm expecting the same kind of buzz I got in the Tribes games where motion was such a big deal.

And, oh yeah, big loving robots.

I agree it's probably not pant wettingly exciting but then I don't think pre-release info for a game has got me genuinely excited since X-com. I'm not expecting different or new things from Titanfall, just a fun game.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I'm thinking I'll get Titanfall on PC. I haven't played an online shooter since UT'99 but the CoD style seems like something I could get into and hey, mechs.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Maybe if I pray to Jesus real hard we will get a new Unreal Tournament. Also it won't be poo poo like UT3. I would settle for UT2004 showing up on Steam.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The PC version of Titanfall has controller support with built in auto-aim, which I have a feeling will be modded to be exploited by mouse users.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

cheesetriangles posted:

Maybe if I pray to Jesus real hard we will get a new Unreal Tournament. Also it won't be poo poo like UT3. I would settle for UT2004 showing up on Steam.

I dunno as much as I loved 99, in the 15 years hence I lost my taste for 1-on-1 slug matches that result from everyone having tons of health and armor. I just want the encounters to end quickly and on to the next.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cheesetriangles posted:

I would settle for UT2004 showing up on Steam.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is already on Steam. It even has Steam Trading Cards!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/13230/

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Unreal Tournament 99' holds a special place on my heart. When we had "Information Systems" (computing for dummies) in our 3rd year of high school, we discovered that someone in the year above has had installed UT on all the computers in our class.

It became something of a ritual in our computing class that for the last 10 minutes of every period we were allowed to fire up a LAN game of UT. Amazingly the teacher didn't mind at all about this as long as all our assignments were done in time and to a reasonable standard.

Now, to be fair, I was probably the only one in that class who played games with any regularity but I constantly minced all the other class members. In the entire year I lost 2 matches. Mind you, I doubt most of them had seen a first person shooter before, never mind played UT as extensively as I had. So yeah, thanks to whoever put that game all over the classroom.

Now that I think about it, that same year I crashed the entire computer system for the school by forwarding every single staff member and pupil a 3mb copy of the Proclaimers song 500 miles. This was in 2001 so 800 copies of a 3mb mp3 was probably a big deal back then. Good times.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
I'm getting Brink vibes from this Titanfall video, all the talk of verticality seems to be blown out of proportion and the mech combat looks... like on foot combat with a recharging shield :(

edit: I wonder what spliting the campaign into it's own playlist effect the player base, will there be zero people playing through the campaign after a week?

Blister fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 12, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I dunno as much as I loved 99, in the 15 years hence I lost my taste for 1-on-1 slug matches that result from everyone having tons of health and armor. I just want the encounters to end quickly and on to the next.

I lost my taste for half a second time to kill back when Counter Strike was still in beta. I just don't understand why everyone is so excited for Titanfall. Call of Duty's bland gameplay with half the team being bots.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

UT2004 is still good and people still play it. Hell I was playing some bot matches during the last podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
UT3 after the large content update wasn't that bad. Although that's maybe just me buying UT2003 and then being let down by 2004?

Also if Titanfall turns out to be Brink 2.0 that'd be the funniest thing ever. It'll probably sell 12 billion copies anyway.

e: But man if that training doesn't make me really want Mirrors Edge 2 (hopefully without guns).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2014

• Locked thread