Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the early to mid nineties there was a pretty massive cottage industry in Macedonia and the various other Balkan states selling aftermarket floorpans for Japanese cars, which were only just starting to get imported after the fall of the iron curtain. I vividly remember being a child and watching soccer players brag on TV about buying then-new preludes and supras and how space-age they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The headunit I mentioned earlier:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's this or I buy another Lightning, which is going to be more entertaining for AI?

The prelude would without a doubt be more entertaining and at the same time would make me fell better about my life watching you struggle with it :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

It's this or I buy another Lightning, which is going to be more entertaining for AI?

Prelude, natch.

I'd drive the hell out of it, personally.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
I don't know, a Lightning is a hell of a lot of fun. And think of all the miata parts you could cram in the back. Hell, you can have a whole spare miata in it.

Edit: Wait, this isn't Rhyno's thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poisonlizard posted:

I don't know, a Lightning is a hell of a lot of fun. And think of all the miata parts you could cram in the back. Hell, you can have a whole spare miata in it.

Edit: Wait, this isn't Rhyno's thread.

They're all my threads eventually.

I didn't get over there today so Dad is going to look at it Wednesday. If it ends up in possession there will be a new thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

If it ends up in possession there will be a new thread.

For most I'd say awesome. For you I say spare us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

For most I'd say awesome. For you I say spare us.

For you I say you're a jerkface!

Dad checked out the car today, says the floorpans ares rusty as hell. He go in the passenger side and the floor flexed when he put his foot down. Said it was not pretty underneath and the exhaust was rusting clean through in places. So I shall not be buying the Prelude.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

eBay has been sticking this on my front page for almost a week. I cackle aloud every time I see it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

An early exit from kitty jail, congratulation 13".

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens when a part that hasnt been installed on a small volume asian import since 1975 breaks

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

13 INCH DICK posted:

So what happens when a part that hasnt been installed on a small volume asian import since 1975 breaks

3D print it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

3D print it.

Bypass it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

What part, and how complex is it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dash mounted headlight/dash dimmer switch, erhm, exploded. I'll have some cool pictures for you guys soon, but the last time a Civic used a dash mounted switch for that was 1975 :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh cool I just noticed it's pissing coolant again just now too

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How much coolant does that little engine really need? I bet you could point the windshield washer sprayer at the side of the engine block and be fine with the occasional squirt at the lights.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

13 INCH DICK posted:

Dash mounted headlight/dash dimmer switch, erhm, exploded. I'll have some cool pictures for you guys soon, but the last time a Civic used a dash mounted switch for that was 1975 :v:

Replace it with an ~*~overhead switch~*~

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

13 INCH DICK posted:

How many poles on it? This isn't rocket surgery.

KozmoNaut posted:

Replace it with an ~*~*overhead switch*~*~

:godwin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

How many poles on it? This isn't rocket surgery.

Thats so racist.

Post pics. I know of a lucas one thats 3 wire that would go greeaaaaaat in your honda. :shepicide:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually opened it up, cleaned out all the old greae that had turned into glue, found all the pieces that had broken, plastic welded them together, put new dialectric in there and it works better than it ever has.

This was the hard part, getting the spring, plastic part, and contact tab pushed down into the rheostat so I could slide this plastic plate back in and redo the lock tabs, then lining it up well enough to slide the rod all the way through.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Awesome work. Now for the cooling system. It can only be so many things...water pump, radiator, reservoir, hoses (radiator or to and from the heater core) or...gasp...the headgasket. Start digging or use a fan mod and pop the hood.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, it can be a cracked head, too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's the heater core hose where it connects under the carb, just located the leak. Luckily it looks like I have room for straight hose if I have to but I'm going to try to match up a similarly shaped premolded at oreillys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Might as well flush the heater core while you've got it all exposed. I bet those hoses are ancient and have been flaking pitch into there this whole time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But that would flush out the dirt that is undoubtedly plugging the other ten leaks. I've been down this road before, with a newer car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fortunately I bet the heater core in that thing takes about 3 minutes and a single philips screwdriver to replace.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have you know I need to remove TEN seperate bolts to remove my dash :colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
All of that for a DPDT. Huh.

..look at the pussy wearing gloves yet has a full-on sleeve. :colbert:

v- Dammit, now I am going to start wearing gloves. Maybe. Then again, I don't tend to deal with fluids much, since I don't have any Lucas Electronics. :haw:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 27, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Realtalk I like putting them on and pretending I'm Dexter but with cars instead, plus it's hard enough to stay clean as is, it helps keep down greasy finger prints on customer cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, gloves are the best. You never know when you have to stop wrenching to plug a wound with your finger.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey, gloves are the best. You never know when you have to stop wrenching to plug a wound with your finger.

Screw the gloves. That was minutes ago. Now I am wondering what amperage ball bearings are rated for.

13"? What goes through that mess? How many seals can you electrocute on land?

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 27, 2014

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Gloves are nice if you don't like having grease and poo poo packed under your finger nails for the next week. Otherwise carry on.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Gloves also absorb blood from your hand wounds pretty well until you're done

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Gloves are nice if you don't like having grease and poo poo packed under your finger nails for the next week. Otherwise carry on.

Nothing is better than turning up at a high end event in a full suit (or even better a tux) with grease and diesel oil soot jammed under your nails an into your cuticles.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I always wear nitrile gloves when I work on my cars. It makes cleaning up after working so much faster, and the oil and grease tend to wreak havoc on my skin and leave me with cracked, bleeding cuticles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bandman posted:

I always wear nitrile gloves when I work on my cars. It makes cleaning up after working so much faster, and the oil and grease tend to wreak havoc on my skin and leave me with cracked, bleeding cuticles.

I like latex, but they are harder to find now (I used to buy huge boxes at Sam's or Costco, but neither carries them anymore), since all of the latex-allergy pussies cried.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I usually use some form of glove but I always tend to take them off at the worst possible time and get a gallon of anti seize and oily bullshit crud under my nails instantly.

I just get a manicure if it's real bad. I don't see why everyone doesn't do this, it's $7 to get your nails clipped, get a massage and have super clean nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I have a really bad habit of chewing my nails down to the quick so there really isn't much to manicure

• Locked thread