Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Yakuza Ishin time :siren:

The Vita companion app is now live on the Japanese PSN, weighing it at 2648 megs! :psyduck: I don't think it's Vita TV compatible.

Also, the Hong Kong PSN has a free PS3 demo of the game. I'll be trying this tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten how much I actually like Skullgirls. There's a limit to how much I can get out of it because I'm kind of intimidated by the online community of a game like this but fanservice aside, the game really has a great sense of style and a smooth fighting system. Also, I know PC people have had Squigly for months now this is the first time I've been able to play as her and she seems to be a pretty great character.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just a curious queery here: Is curvy bodied women in revealing clothing what you mean when you say "Fanservice" or is it something else? I don't really understand that term, I guess, but Skullgirls style is super unique and definitely one of the reasons I love the game (I main as Painwheel though, so its not the boobs etc. that grabbed me).

People threw that term around for Bayonetta a lot also and I never understood that either. In general the idea that anyone would ever judge me based on how curvy my video game heroins are seems outrageous, but reading these forums tells me it happens all the time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Just a curious queery here: Is curvy bodied women in revealing clothing what you mean when you say "Fanservice" or is it something else? I don't really understand that term, I guess, but Skullgirls style is super unique and definitely one of the reasons I love the game (I main as Painwheel though, so its not the boobs etc. that grabbed me).

People threw that term around for Bayonetta a lot also and I never understood that either. In general the idea that anyone would ever judge me based on how curvy my video game heroins are seems outrageous, but reading these forums tells me it happens all the time.

I think with Skullgirls it's the cleavage for some characters and panty shots.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 13, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

"fanservice" generally refers to gratuitous cleavage/panty/suggested nudity, usually in situations with a terrible attempt at an explanation.

If you're familiar with the Japanese heroine Cutie Honey, she has a lot of it with exact level depending on which specific series you're watching (e.g. in some of them she changes outfits with a nudity-free glowing transition, and in some her old clothing explodes off her body and the pieces reform into the new clothes, with a few seconds of nudity in between). You also notice it in spoofs of Sailor Moon transformation sequences if the camera does a chest/panty closeup.

Bayonetta is often cited because of the whole "supermove where she turns naked because reasons" thing.

It's also applicable for things like Tera where the "better" armor is basically a stripper outfit when that makes no goddamn sense given what swords/axes usually do to areas without armor, or fighting games where the outfits would be terrible to fight in (e.g. corset)/the fighters are wearing tons of makeup.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 13, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fanservice is I think a term that derives from anime, and it's intended to cover anything that panders to the fans. Usually that's with boobs and panty shots (it did derive from anime, after all) but it could just as easily be Vinnie Jones saying "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" in that awful, awful X-Men movie.

That said, Bayonetta and Skullgirls have a lot of T&A but it's all very tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't call those games fanservice-y, but a lot of people do. It's kind of a meaningless term at this point, honestly.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Tough trying to break headset chat in the PS4 thread so I figured I'd ask here. I just got my PS4 and it allowed me to download Don't Starve, Resogun, Contrast and the update for NBA2k14 fine, but it can't download Outlast or AC4...anyone else have this issue? Resetted both PS4 and router. Just keeps giving me a "Cannot Download' message

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
There's a line between "artistic nudity/situation" where, say, a character has a sex scene in a meaningful way, and "fanservice," where you're seeing a character naked/exploited because the creator thought you wanted to see it.

Like Heavy Rain. It's up to you to decide which one that falls under.

John Romero - call Sony support?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Fanservice is a conjugate word which basically means "fellating fans who give you money so they can give you more money (maybe later)".
  • Gratuitous nudity or revealing clothing. This one is the most obvious to western (US) audiences.
  • Violence for the sake of violence
  • Nostalgic throwbacks
  • Collectors Editions or extra random content
  • Aesthetic micro-purchases
  • Figurines, cards, and other franchise items that cater to the same demographic.

So any insincerity in the creative process where one starts thinking about "what the fans want" rather than what the creative team envisioned. Very few media products are devoid of fan service except auteur productions like Miasmata or Cart Life, naming 2 games. Franchise games generally have high fanservice content depending on the developers and often the creative lead's ability to push back against the money providing publishers. RE4 vs RE5 is a great example.

This definition sometimes clashes with the general perception of fanservice, which people conflate with any kind of nudity. The silly Senran Kaguya ninja girls games is lead by a guy who just really really likes boobs, arguing heavily for the 3ds for the sake of the 3d. Worthwhile endeavor or not, that kind of conviction makes it less fanservice than the last few helpings of 2d Mario.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 13, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While I'm still fairly confident "fan-service" was a legti term to use in reference to some of Skullgirls' character designs, I'll rephrase what I said earlier:

I had forgotten how much I actually like Skullgirls. There's a limit to how much I can get out of it because I'm kind of intimidated by the online community of a game like this but embarrassing character designs elements aside, the game really has a great sense of style and a smooth fighting system. Also, I know PC people have had Squigly for months now this is the first time I've been able to play as her and she seems to be a pretty great character.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

axleblaze posted:

I had forgotten how much I actually like Skullgirls. There's a limit to how much I can get out of it because I'm kind of intimidated by the online community of a game like this but embarrassing character designs elements aside, the game really has a great sense of style and a smooth fighting system. Also, I know PC people have had Squigly for months now this is the first time I've been able to play as her and she seems to be a pretty great character.

I really wish I could appreciate everything that goes into a modern fighting game, especially since I'm such a big fan of all types of animation, but I've never really gotten further than being decent at Ken in Street Fighter II HD, and some characters in Smash Bros.

Maybe once the new version of Skullgirls comes out in Europe I'll just pick a character, print out their movelist, and just keep playing people online until I'm alright with them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

I really wish I could appreciate everything that goes into a modern fighting game, especially since I'm such a big fan of all types of animation, but I've never really gotten further than being decent at Ken in Street Fighter II HD, and some characters in Smash Bros.

Maybe once the new version of Skullgirls comes out in Europe I'll just pick a character, print out their movelist, and just keep playing people online until I'm alright with them.

Honestly, if you like animation, Skullgirls is worth picking up for that alone. Some of the characters (especially Peacock and Double) are among the best, most fun creative sprites I've ever seen.

Edit: I mean look at this:

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 14, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Good thing she still has mondo hooters as a vaguely formed monster blob.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

FishBulb posted:

Oh you should have a look at other work by that same artist then:

:siren: NSFW :siren:
http://kinucakes.tumblr.com/

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FishBulb posted:

See, I think that's pretty funny. I think a lot about the Skullgirls aesthetic is pretty funny. They take a lot of awful design tropes and put them on a skewer, but I can see how "boobs on a blob ewww!" would make some people uncomfortable.

It's a good game anyway, even if you disagree with my read of the aesthetics. And here I'll use the chance to repeat my offer of trading my Skullgirls Encore voucher for the Steam version of Skullgirls. Send me a PM!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Honestly, if you like animation, Skullgirls is worth picking up for that alone. Some of the characters (especially Peacock and Double) are among the best, most fun creative sprites I've ever seen.

Edit: I mean look at this:

I've had the PSN version since launch, but I've only really tried with the cartoon girl since her little friends are awesome. Double looks pretty advanced to play, since she's got moves from all the other characters, like Seth from Street Fighter IV, I think.

I should try my PS4 controller with it, since that d-pad is sublime.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Friday EU store update:

Link to new releases in webstore

Links go to UK store. Log in with your EU PSN account to switch to your local region and currency.

quote:

PS4 Game
The Lego Movie Videogame £44.99/€59.99

PS3 Games
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII £39.99/€59.99/AU$89.95 9.6 GB
The Lego Movie Videogame £39.99/€49.99 5.9 GB

Vita Games
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc £34.99/€39.99/AU$54.95 1.3 GB
The Lego Movie Videogame £34.99/€39.99 1.5 GB
Toukiden: The Age of Demons £29.99/€39.99/AU$47.95 1.9 GB

PS3 Add-Ons
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII:
- FFX-2 Yuna £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 5 MB
- Japanese Voice Pack Free - 4.7 GB
- Tomb Raider £3.19/€3.99/AU$5.85 4 MB

update:
The Last of Us: Left Behind is still listed as a pre-order. A PS Blog post says it will be available at 6am GMT, which would be 1am Eastern / 10pm Pacific / 5pm Sydney.

The Lego Movie Videogames are not out in Australia and other regions yet. Although the PS Blog store update post claims they should have been out this week in Australia, they will most likely come out on the launch of the movie, which would be 3 April. New Zealand won't see them until 17 April.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 14, 2014

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Yechezkel posted:

The Last of Us: Left Behind is still listed as a pre-order. Maybe it will unlock at midnight Eastern / Pacific US time?
It will be available at 10PM Pacific. I can't find the source right now, but both Sony and Naughty Dog said it on Twitter at some point today.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found it. The post says it will be availalbe at 6am GMT, which would be 1am Eastern / 10pm Pacific / 5pm Sydney.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
NISA event summary:

The Witch & 100 Knights gets a Western release date (25th March).
Demon Gaze also gets dates (April 22nd in NA, 25th in EU) and a new trailer.
Neptunia PP also gets a trailer.
Mugen Souls Z gets a month (May) and a trailer.
Battle Princess of Arcadias gets picked up for Western release this year.
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten is also heading West this summer.
Fairy Fencer F is also heading West this year thanks to them.

And finally, yes, NISA's picked up Danganronpa 2 for a Autumn release. orenronen has about six months to finish up unless we'd wind up with an... interesting situation.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I actually splurged and picked up Battle Princess of Arcadis as an import last year because I didn't think it would get localized. Oh well. Great news about DR2!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thursday night NA / Friday EU stores update:

The Last of Us: Left Behind is now available in both regions. You will have to download a game update before accessing the add-on.

NA region $14.99 / free with season pass, 5.2 GB

EU region £11.99/€14.99/AU$21.95 / free with season pass, 5.2 GB

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
EU region: A few more things not mentioned here about this week's update:

If you can't find the demo of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 in the new releases section, that is because it was previously released last October as an exclusive bonus to those that bought Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirrors of Fate HD. It can be found here in the webstore, now available for everyone.

Speaking of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, it now has a pre-order available, which wasn't listed in the Coming Soon section. Prices are £39.99/€49.99/AU$69.95, and it will be available on 28 February. The pre-order comes with a free copy of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirrors of Fate HD.

NHL 14 is on sale as part of February Price Cuts for £21.59/€25.19/AU$35.98, no PS+ discount.

There is a free static theme for Dark Souls II. As with all free static themes, it is only available through the PS3 store app.

I don't see the free LBP Cupid costumes anywhere. :(

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I didn't even buy the PS3 version of Disgaea D2 because I expect it to get an "enhanced" portable version. I feel like predictably doing that with every release after only a year or two is kind of punishing to your early adopters.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
A bit of grit from the rumour mill: GamePointsNow, who was spot on last month, has posted next month's EU PS+ lineup. Consider this rumours until told otherwise (probably early next week).

PS4: Dead Nation
PS3: Tomb Raider, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Vita: Smart As, Pixeljunk Monsters HD

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
PS4 version of Dead Nation? That is odd. Well, I sort of hope we don't get that here in NA since I already own that game on PS3 and would love to actually just put more time in on that version.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Steamworld Dig will be coming to PS4 and Vita.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The Dead Nation/Resogun devs did a 2014 preview where they hinted at a new Dead Nation, but I'd be shocked if it's already ready for release.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tomb Raider and Brothers both fall square into my "maybe if I got it as a gift" range so that'd be nice.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Tomb Raider falls squarely into the "an actually excellent game" range, so it's doubly awesome that it's going on Plus.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Brothers is a great game at the price of free but Tomb Raider is a game that's worth the original retail price so getting it for free is awesome.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Delusibeta posted:

PS4: Dead Nation

If this comes out I will buy the gently caress out of it, just to have better framerate and graphics and have one less reason to use my ps3.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, Brothers is a great game at the price of free but Tomb Raider is a game that's worth the original retail price so getting it for free is awesome.

Tomb Raider is an extraordinary game with a terrible, tone-deaf script and an ending so bad that it can peel the paint from your walls.

"I can't wait to go on my next adventure!" Lara muses as she stares into the sunset, mere hours after killing a thousand people and watching her friends die and narrowly avoiding being raped and murdered herself.

Do yourself a favor and skip as many cutscenes as you can.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

Tomb Raider is an extraordinary game with a terrible, tone-deaf script and an ending so bad that it can peel the paint from your walls.

"I can't wait to go on my next adventure!" Lara muses as she stares into the sunset, mere hours after killing a thousand people and watching her friends die and narrowly avoiding being raped and murdered herself.

Eh maybe tone down the flippant attitude but this didn't really bother me. The whole point of the game was to demonstrate that she grows from a feeble, naive girl who thinks she's invulnerable to a badass, bitch-rear end-trick-killing, "the worlds got nothing on me" who just saved as many of her friends as she could (after being betrayed, I might add) and proved that she's invulnerable.

Yeah maybe she could show a little more remorse, but she's well within her rights to say "gently caress you" to that island and everyone left on it.

e: and the cut scenes are badass for the most part. don't forget its a "vidja game" and not a documentary and you should be OK. The likelihood of the plane crashing right there and other things that are just too "made for tv" are pretty obviously parts of video games. It stands to reason that her attitude might be too. :myimmersion:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah she should have started crying or licking a lollypop or whatever video game girl stereotypes are these days.

In reality she was a fairly strong character so I give the writing serious props for that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the writing in Tomb Raider was fine. It wasn't incredible but it has it moments and does alot of what it sets out to do. It has it's missteps too, but overall I think it sets out to show how a relatively normal girl can basically be pushed into becoming an action hero and it intergrated the massive amount of killing your character does much better into the story then, let's say, Uncharted.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

superh posted:

Yeah she should have started crying or licking a lollypop or whatever video game girl stereotypes are these days.

...I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I don't think you understand my criticism. It has nothing to do with portrayals of women and everything to do with the fact that Lara makes the jump from "quivering human Jell-O" to "bloodthirsty sociopath" with little to no repercussions. Killing a person is presented as a huge trauma to her in a cutscene, but then you immediately ice ten more guys in a gameplay sequence and she never even flinches. Her ability to forget the island in a flash and be gung ho about doing the whole thing again further trivializes all that prior handwringing.

The game is fun, the writing is bad. Really, really bad. Uncharted makes no bones about Drake being a murder machine, and it works. He's a fun caricature. Lara frets and navel-gazes about being a murderer and then saws someone in half with point blank assault rifle fire as an up-close kill animation. And yeah, that's awesome, but it's unearned. It's like her character arc is missing all the middle bits where she reconciles her transformation, and instead she just keeps vacillating between "helpless waif" and "ice cold killer" depending on whether or not she's under your control.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNvzNWuzI9Y&t=241s

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Sarchasm posted:

...I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I don't think you understand my criticism. It has nothing to do with portrayals of women and everything to do with the fact that Lara makes the jump from "quivering human Jell-O" to "bloodthirsty sociopath" with little to no repercussions. Killing a person is presented as a huge trauma to her in a cutscene, but then you immediately ice ten more guys in a gameplay sequence and she never even flinches. Her ability to forget the island in a flash and be gung ho about doing the whole thing again further trivializes all that prior handwringing.

The game is fun, the writing is bad. Really, really bad. Uncharted makes no bones about Drake being a murder machine, and it works. He's a fun caricature. Lara frets and navel-gazes about being a murderer and then saws someone in half with point blank assault rifle fire as an up-close kill animation. And yeah, that's awesome, but it's unearned. It's like her character arc is missing all the middle bits where she reconciles her transformation, and instead she just keeps vacillating between "helpless waif" and "ice cold killer" depending on whether or not she's under your control.

This is definitely not the thread for this discussion, but did you actually skip all the cutscenes like you suggested? That would really gut the "missing middle bits" huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've been thinking recently about how the Tomb Raider reboot's biggest problem is that they've basically painted themselves into a corner for the next game. They chose to make it a third-person cover shooter, which it does competently. Trouble is, when you make the decision in your "fresh start" game that the lead character is going to murder over 500 people then that sets the tone for every games that comes after. The people that like this game, will want more of this game.

I'm betting the next game has Lara either facing treasure hunters, mercenaries or an actual army that are all in search of ancient [thing] that has great power that mustn't fall into the wrong hands. It'll be something generic and overplayed like that, because they need to find a way to put another 500 mooks in front of her. The next game will take place in at least three settings, will have more of the actual tomb raiding aspect, but will once again be just a grimdark murderfest because that's the gameplay route they have chosen.

• Locked thread