Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

What do I actually need to set this as to make protectorates go away? I can't tell if it should be 0.0 or 1.0

1.0 wouldn't do it, it'd need to be greater than 1.5 to stop western Europeans being able to protectorate northern Native Americans. It's the difference in base tech cost, Western has 0 penalty there and Native American has +150%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The colonists thing is the most annoying thing about the game as it stands. I think there are two separate problems: that colonies project colonial power, and how quickly certain nations are able to colonise.

For the first I think the simplest and most historical solution would be to add a colonial range projection modifier of like -90% to completed colonies like someone has already suggested. The second is a bit harder, but I think removing or reducing the core creation discount and making the number of settlers produced per year a quantity shared between all your colonies. i.e. say at full maintenance your country produces 100 settlers per year, if you have one colony it'll grow quite quickly but if you have 5 they'll only grow by 20 a year. This lets smaller nations colonise a little bit and slows down the faster ones.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I think if each nation was to have a pool of colonists shared per year across all your colonies AND colonial nations, there should be a means of increasing or decreasing that number, with penalties/benefits for a higher/lower number than average. Like if you bumped your pool up by 10 or 20 percent, it might hit your max/monthly manpower by a similar amount and comes with a production efficiency hit/bonus.

Also, colonial nations and protectorates should be a lot more lucrative to their home country; like to the point it becomes economically dangerous to the mother country if they're mismanaged. Historically, the only reason why Spain didn't collapse under the weight of massive inflation was because they foisted most of their "found" gold/silver off on the Ottomans and the Chinese by extension, which kind of screwed them both economically.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

One of the downsides to the Steam Workshop is that whenever a mod I'm in the middle of a game of is updated, I have to completely start over. :smith:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I love you Paradox. :unsmith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A Tartan Tory posted:

I love you Paradox. :unsmith:

I laughed but I can't tell any of my friends why :smith:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Started a game as Orthodox Ottomans, then became Greek Orthodox Ottomans, and then decided to go for broke and am now Greek Catholic Ottomans. I really hope Austria lets me into the HRE because if not it's going to be a pain in the rear end to kick their asses 3-4 times so I can vassalize enough electors to get myself elected HRE. If I'm reading the decision for founding Greece right, I can't do it as TUR, but I can do it as HRE! :v:.

E: Wait, just occurred to me that HLR might be the Holy Roman Empire. It is indeed :(

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 16, 2014

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

DrSunshine posted:

Are there any total-conversion mods in the pipeline? There's a few that change the entire worldmap and all the nations for CK2 (I'm working on one myself!:haw:) but not for EUIV, it seems, even though the Clausewitz engine makes things a lot easier.
There was a Discworld one posted in one of these drat threads. It isn't updated to the latest version, but maps and history files themselves don't need updating as such.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What do I actually need to set this as to make protectorates go away? I can't tell if it should be 0.0 or 1.0
Wait, are protectorates determined by disparity in tech level? I thought it was a different tech group thang.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There was a Discworld one posted in one of these drat threads. It isn't updated to the latest version, but maps and history files themselves don't need updating as such.

Wait, are protectorates determined by disparity in tech level? I thought it was a different tech group thang.

Tech group, by percentage. That is, Western is at 100% tech cost, Eastern at 110%, Muslim at 140%, Native American at 200%, etc. So a factor of 0.5 means a 50% difference in tech cost.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Yeah, it's all based on tech level disparity. I think the threshold (by default anyway) is >50% disparity = Protectorate, <50% disparity = vassal.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Is there anything out there like a 'beginners guide to modding Paradox games'?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I've been playing a game as the Apache, using a small mod I made (delays Admin 4 by ~50 years - I wanted to have a head start on the Europeans for colonization because I hate getting to the Caribbean only to find half of it is already gone) and I've been having a lot of fun. I've been sniping European colonies constantly to the point where they're basically colonizing for me, and then I steal it and my colonist converts it to Apache at around 800-900 population. Really fun, but you absolutely need naval dominance since their troops are so much better and even a stack of four is really tough to dislodge.

One thing I noticed was that I was in a really long war and didn't get a call for peace until after I decided to go after the Aztec twenty years into the European war and had occupied a good chunk of Aztec territory. What exactly causes the call for peace condition? Does it have something to do with occupied land in any way, rather than just time or possibly war exhaustion? It seemed like I could screw around forever with Europe, with no land really switching hands, but once I went after the Aztec I seemed to get CFP when I expected it. Peacing out sucked, because Portugal actually got a colony established in that time - took them about 4.8 years, which is really aggravating, but I can always take it from them later, I guess.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

Is there anything out there like a 'beginners guide to modding Paradox games'?
What in particular are you aiming to do? Add in another country as a revolter? Add in another country and plop it into the map? Change the map? Etc.? There's a lot of ground to cover?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I actually used to set a really high tech prereq for Quest For The New World in EU3 just to delay all the colonization. Sadly I can't figure out how you'd do that in EU IV, maybe remove portugals explorers and make explorers the last idea of the Exploration one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MrChips posted:

I think if each nation was to have a pool of colonists shared per year across all your colonies AND colonial nations, there should be a means of increasing or decreasing that number, with penalties/benefits for a higher/lower number than average. Like if you bumped your pool up by 10 or 20 percent, it might hit your max/monthly manpower by a similar amount and comes with a production efficiency hit/bonus.
Some sort of relationship between your population and your ability to colonize would probably also make a lot of sense. Denmark for example, which had a population of around 0.7 million between 1600 and 1700, shouldn't be able to colonize as fast as England with a population of roughly 5 million. Population alone shouldn't be everything though, colonial policy should be really important as well, since France with its around 20 million people in the same period didn't really exploit its population advantage.

Of course the game doesn't model population, but that's kind of a flaw in itself. Not talking about highly precise populations for the cities, that's kind of irrelevant, but having the base manpower in the provinces be representative of a certain population. That's what I'm doing in my mod (delayed by old-as-gently caress computer), and I think it makes a boatload of sense. If some countries can get more manpower out of their population then that should be done through various modifiers, the base manpower you can get out of a population shouldn't be dependent on anything but pure population. It's not like this population has to 100% historically accurate, it is still a only a game after all, so Paradox wouldn't have to do research the precise population of every province. Most errors would be evened out due to countries being made up of multiple provinces anyway. (And whatever system exists to model population growth.)

If the above population-to-base manpower conversion was implemented, and a function implemented that would call up total_base_manpower (I kinda really want that function no matter what.), you would have the base for a Colonial Power Pool. Combine that with the idea that you project Colonial Power through a system similar to the trade system, and you could add a severe bottleneck on the ability of a historical France to project Colonial Power, while the smaller England with its maritime focus would be able to fully exploit its smaller base pool. Similarly, it would allow Spain to quickly colonize a boatload of provinces, like it did historically, since it had a much larger population in the 1500-1600 period than England, while tiny Portugal would settle for the rather sparse colonization of Brazil it did historically. (Which allowed the Dutch to move in eventually)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Some sort of relationship between your population and your ability to colonize would probably also make a lot of sense. Denmark for example, which had a population of around 0.7 million between 1600 and 1700, shouldn't be able to colonize as fast as England with a population of roughly 5 million. Population alone shouldn't be everything though, colonial policy should be really important as well, since France with its around 20 million people in the same period didn't really exploit its population advantage.

Of course the game doesn't model population, but that's kind of a flaw in itself. Not talking about highly precise populations for the cities, that's kind of irrelevant, but having the base manpower in the provinces be representative of a certain population. That's what I'm doing in my mod (delayed by old-as-gently caress computer), and I think it makes a boatload of sense. If some countries can get more manpower out of their population then that should be done through various modifiers, the base manpower you can get out of a population shouldn't be dependent on anything but pure population. It's not like this population has to 100% historically accurate, it is still a only a game after all, so Paradox wouldn't have to do research the precise population of every province. Most errors would be evened out due to countries being made up of multiple provinces anyway. (And whatever system exists to model population growth.)

If the above population-to-base manpower conversion was implemented, and a function implemented that would call up total_base_manpower (I kinda really want that function no matter what.), you would have the base for a Colonial Power Pool. Combine that with the idea that you project Colonial Power through a system similar to the trade system, and you could add a severe bottleneck on the ability of a historical France to project Colonial Power, while the smaller England with its maritime focus would be able to fully exploit its smaller base pool. Similarly, it would allow Spain to quickly colonize a boatload of provinces, like it did historically, since it had a much larger population in the 1500-1600 period than England, while tiny Portugal would settle for the rather sparse colonization of Brazil it did historically. (Which allowed the Dutch to move in eventually)

These are all good idea. TBH any of the many solutions posted in this thread with a bit of balancing would be much better than the status quo - it's so to have the americas painted yellow and green in every single game.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

What in particular are you aiming to do? Add in another country as a revolter? Add in another country and plop it into the map? Change the map? Etc.? There's a lot of ground to cover?

Modify the map in particular, I was also thinking about adding in a few more nations to flesh out Africa etc.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Tahirovic posted:

I actually used to set a really high tech prereq for Quest For The New World in EU3 just to delay all the colonization. Sadly I can't figure out how you'd do that in EU IV, maybe remove portugals explorers and make explorers the last idea of the Exploration one.
Go into the specific country files and set exploration/expansion to a lower priority idea group, and maybe boost it for a few, but not by much. For funsies, take smaller maritime nations and give colonization to them, just to stir up the same old group of Who Gets To Play Colonies.

*e* Portugal has exploration set to its first idea group, England second, Granada fourth.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

The thing about the HYW being unwinnable is that a human England player will just instantly make peace, or withdraw all their troops until the "length of war" penalty goes away, then make peace, thus avoiding what the AI does, which is waste all its manpower attacking an unbeatable France and rack up huge War Exhaustion penalties.

If the war isn't even remotely winnable, a human won't bother trying to fight it.

I don't think the war should be unwinnable, but it's too good a tool for me right now to want to change it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Is it possible to win it if France is controlled by a reasonably good human player?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Is it possible to win it if France is controlled by a reasonably good human player?

England has basically no chance whatsoever to win if France is controlled by a human, unless they somehow manage to arrange a dogpile.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MrChips posted:

Also, colonial nations and protectorates should be a lot more lucrative to their home country; like to the point it becomes economically dangerous to the mother country if they're mismanaged. Historically, the only reason why Spain didn't collapse under the weight of massive inflation was because they foisted most of their "found" gold/silver off on the Ottomans and the Chinese by extension, which kind of screwed them both economically.

If EU4 had a more Vicky-style population system, then you could have a mechanic where a colony's settler count can be boosted by drawing immigrants from other countries. Plenty of Germans settled in the New World, and no German state ever had any colonies. You could even work it into the Reformation mechanic, and have an event where members of a minority denomination migrate en mass to your colony.

(On this subject, hey Paradox, what's up with not including Anabaptists as part of the Reformation? I want to play as my ancestors too, you know. :colbert:)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DStecks posted:

If EU4 had a more Vicky-style population system, then you could have a mechanic where a colony's settler count can be boosted by drawing immigrants from other countries. Plenty of Germans settled in the New World, and no German state ever had any colonies. You could even work it into the Reformation mechanic, and have an event where members of a minority denomination migrate en mass to your colony.

If there was just a sort of 'minority system' or somesuch in general, that would be rad. Like, culturally converting Province A from Culture X to Culture Y would leave a 'X Minority' entry in the province, meaning that maybe Culture X nationalists could still spawn from there at a greatly reduced level or that another Culture X country nearby could still retain cores on the province (or have the core decay timer run at a deduced rate) or something.

Demographic stuff is cool and it'd be a fun way to flesh out internal development of a country a bit.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Do the Dutch revolts stop happening at some point? Playing as Prussia, I conquered a good chunk of the Netherlands and I'm getting sick of Dutch rebel whack-a-mole.

Also, is it true that moving my capital to a Dutch province will stop the revolts? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nightblade posted:

England seems to have roughly 30,000 men, while France (plus vassals) has 60,000. Combine that with the fact that the fighting takes place on France's landmass rather than England's, and you have a recipe for a crushing French victory.

France also has an amazing starter King, while England's is the worst it can possibly be. France also has better national traditions for land warfare.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gort posted:

England seems to have roughly 30,000 men, while France (plus vassals) has 60,000. Combine that with the fact that the fighting takes place on France's landmass rather than England's, and you have a recipe for a crushing French victory.

France also has an amazing starter King, while England's is the worst it can possibly be. France also has better national traditions for land warfare.

Yeah, I'm pr. sure this is to reflect that by the game's start date, England had already lost.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DStecks posted:

(On this subject, hey Paradox, what's up with not including Anabaptists as part of the Reformation? I want to play as my ancestors too, you know. :colbert:)

My ancestor was a German from Pfalz who wound up on the wrong side of a war somehow, so I can totally identify with this.

edit: and some starving Irish, I guess :v:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Do the Dutch revolts stop happening at some point? Playing as Prussia, I conquered a good chunk of the Netherlands and I'm getting sick of Dutch rebel whack-a-mole.

Also, is it true that moving my capital to a Dutch province will stop the revolts? I feel like I read that somewhere.

If I remember correctly, these are the conditions that stop the revolts.

- You culture shift to Dutch or Flemish.
- You move your capital province to the Dutch Region (good choice actually, considering Antwerpen).
- The game year hits 1650.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Can you stop the Dutch revolts in a province by culture shifting it so it's not longer Dutch?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Can you stop the Dutch revolts in a province by culture shifting it so it's not longer Dutch?

I don't believe so, If I remember right the events are coded to the Dutch Region rather than by culture.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So I looked up some old expedition routes and checked them out in Google Earth. Raleigh, Cabot, Cartier and the like were actually around a thousand miles shorter than those heading to Gibraltar and going to the Caribbean.

So here's all the nations that will take Exploration, along with its place on the priority list,

Aragon 5
Brittany 4
Burgundy 4
Castille 1
England 2
France 4
Friesland 4
Granada 4
Great Britain 2
Holland 4
Ireland 3
Netherlands 2
Portugal 1
Scotland 4
Spain 2

And here's the same for Expansion,

Castille 3
Denmark 3
England 6
Great Britain 5
Japan 3
Kachar 6
Muscowy 2
Portugal 4
Russia 2
Spain 4

*e* Gonna try an experimental run and see what happens when you seed exploration in a bunch of nations with Naval, Trade, and Economic ideas and kill the tech disparities. Full list: Atjeh, Aydin, Bali, Bengal, Brunei, Catalunya, Ceylon, Connacht, Cornwall, Friesland, Galicia, Genoa, Granada, Holland, Ireland, Kochin, Korea, Lancaster, Leinster, Majapahit, Makassar, Malabar, Malacca, Malaya, Malindi, Mogadishu, Mombasa, Munster, Navarra, Northumberland, Oman, Ottomans, Pattani, Pisa, Ragusa, Ryukyu, Sardinia, Sardinia-Piedmont, Shaybanid, Sicily, Sind, Sulu, Tripoli, Tunisia, Tyrone, Venice, Wales, Yemen, York, Zhou.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
"The province of NO_STRING_FOR_PROVINCE_NAME needs to be a core to become part of the HRE" Oh alright let me spend these valuable administrative points to core it and then I'll join.

"Your nation is too large to join the HRE, the emperor would never allow it" Oh no my ADM points! :qq:

Repeat at least once for every game I play in Europe, multiple times if I end up losing provinces at any point.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

grancheater posted:

"The province of NO_STRING_FOR_PROVINCE_NAME needs to be a core to become part of the HRE" Oh alright let me spend these valuable administrative points to core it and then I'll join.

"Your nation is too large to join the HRE, the emperor would never allow it" Oh no my ADM points! :qq:

Repeat at least once for every game I play in Europe, multiple times if I end up losing provinces at any point.

Probably the only way you can do it is to release a big vassal, then start annexing. When that is almost done, release the rest of your country and try to join as a one province minor. While being ruined by the cost of maintaining an army that will keep your vassals in check, of course.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Question: What the hell is going on here?

~and~

Can anyone tell me how Portugal got this colony? They don't have fleet basing rights from me, Morocco, or Mali.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You don't need to be a OPM to get into the Empire, but you do need to be under a certain size. Poland is exactly small enough to get in, for example. 10 provinces should be big enough to support a decent army while also small enough that you can still sweet talk the Emperor into letting you in.

EDIT:

Odobenidae posted:

Can anyone tell me how Portugal got this colony? They don't have fleet basing rights from me, Morocco, or Mali.

They have an island right next to the Canaries and it's possible they took a +20% range advisor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And your -200 relation out of the gate is a known bug. Just restart.

Lasernuts
Feb 17, 2014
Would any of yall recommend this game for a person that likes RTS level of gaming similar to SoaSE?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Lasernuts posted:

Would any of yall recommend this game for a person that likes RTS level of gaming similar to SoaSE?

No. This is only very nominally an RTS. It's more like a TBS in terms of depth - the realtime component is just a pacing/granularity decision. You spend a lot of time paused. There's a lot of strategic depth but really very few rewards for quick tactical thinking, like in most RTSes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Dibujante posted:

There's a lot of strategic depth but really very few rewards for quick tactical thinking, like in most RTSes.

I would say that's true except for if you play multiplayer. It's pretty much required in pvp where you can't pause to think and becomes more RTS than TBS.

I would recommend it if you like strategy games. If you want to get a taste first there's a demo: http://www.europauniversalis4.com/news/sample-feeling-conquest-europa-universalis-iv-demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what happens in multiplayer when people try to do what the AI does and redirect their stack every time you try to move into the same province? It's irritating as gently caress when you can't afford to split the stack into 2-3 and move to every adjacent province at the same time.

• Locked thread