Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Dolash posted:

Was there no mention in the books of Melisandre burning various enemies or suspected traitors besides Florent? I mean, she sees visions of enemies in the fire, and plenty of people wanted to sell Stannis out after the Blackwater goes badly. But yeah, the show's made it a point that Melisandre's been burning all kinds of people who speak out.

I seem to remember some mention of there being fires every night, with the implication that they were all sacrificial fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HK5000 posted:

0:55 is Brienne being tied to a stake. Take it as you will but who else but the scene seems to me like her end in Crows.
The very last poo poo to happen to Brienne in Crows is not going to happen in the season covering the end of Storm.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Dolash posted:

Was there no mention in the books of Melisandre burning various enemies or suspected traitors besides Florent? I mean, she sees visions of enemies in the fire, and plenty of people wanted to sell Stannis out after the Blackwater goes badly. But yeah, the show's made it a point that Melisandre's been burning all kinds of people who speak out.

She burns some heretic prisoners while Stannis is away at Blackwater. When he returns though I'm pretty sure no one else is burned (although of course Edric was almost burned after Balon, Robb and Joffrey died). Then they burn Alester to obtain good winds travelling North, and then once they get to the Wall, "Mance" is burned.

Stannis also burns some men while he is campaigning in the North because they resorted to cannibalism while starving in the snow.

But as far as I know, Melisandre's nightfires are not nightly sacrifices. At the very least, Moqorro doesn't sacrifice anyone at his nightfires.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
They are not human sacrifices I think, but they could be some other kind of sacrifice.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The trailer also seems to suggest that Jon & co. are going to head out after the mutineers to avenge Mormont. That seems kind of stupid if they're expecting a wildling raid at the same time.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

colonel_korn posted:

The trailer also seems to suggest that Jon & co. are going to head out after the mutineers to avenge Mormont. That seems kind of stupid if they're expecting a wildling raid at the same time.

He says "All we can give him now is justice." Show only viewers will think he's talking about justice for Robb since the line immediately preceding that is "He was betrayed by his own men". There's no question Robb's being described there (sounds like Stannis saying it but it's not clear). Pretty sneaky, trailer editors! It's not even outside of the realm of possibility for his character...

They may have Jon do another "vows vs. family" internal struggle moment like they did when he found out that Ned had died, but that one was actually in the books, whereas afaik Jon doesn't have one of those moments in SoS when he hears about Robb's death.

On the other hand, if he is talking about the wights that assassinated Mormont, how could Jon lead an attack against some wights? He knows they're just dead people and probably has no idea they're capable of taking direction at this point, right?

So...who was he talking about with that line?

EDIT: wait, wasn't Mormont attacked by wights in the book? Were they wights in the show or just disgruntled Night's Watch?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, great cover of Souxsie for that trailer.

This season is going to be amazing. Looking forward to lots of Arya kills. I do wonder how long it will take to get Joffrey dead. It has to be early enough to do all the aftermath in appropriate time. Probably no longer than episode 3.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

timp posted:

He says "All we can give him now is justice." Show only viewers will think he's talking about justice for Robb since the line immediately preceding that is "He was betrayed by his own men". There's no question Robb's being described there (sounds like Stannis saying it but it's not clear). Pretty sneaky, trailer editors! It's not even outside of the realm of possibility for his character...

They may have Jon do another "vows vs. family" internal struggle moment like they did when he found out that Ned had died, but that one was actually in the books, whereas afaik Jon doesn't have one of those moments in SoS when he hears about Robb's death.

On the other hand, if he is talking about the wights that assassinated Mormont, how could Jon lead an attack against some wights? He knows they're just dead people and probably has no idea they're capable of taking direction at this point, right?

So...who was he talking about with that line?

EDIT: wait, wasn't Mormont attacked by wights in the book? Were they wights in the show or just disgruntled Night's Watch?

Mormont was betrayed by his own men, in the book and show alike.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man, great cover of Souxsie for that trailer.

This season is going to be amazing. Looking forward to lots of Arya kills. I do wonder how long it will take to get Joffrey dead. It has to be early enough to do all the aftermath in appropriate time. Probably no longer than episode 3.

According to the leaked shooting schedule, the wedding (and presumably the feast) are in episode 2.

Anyone else notice Theon on a horse? I wonder what's in store for him this season other than more torture?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

webmeister posted:

Anyone else notice Theon on a horse? I wonder what's in store for him this season other than more torture?

Moat Cailin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

webmeister posted:

According to the leaked shooting schedule, the wedding (and presumably the feast) are in episode 2.

Ah awesome. People are going to be SO happy to see that. There literally has been few characters in fiction more deserving of a humiliating death than Joffrey.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

twistedmentat posted:

Ah awesome. People are going to be SO happy to see that. There literally has been few characters in fiction more deserving of a humiliating death than Joffrey.

I can't wait for the internet to explode that night.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Mormont was betrayed by his own men, in the book and show alike.

I think he means the first time, when they were attacked at the Fist of the First Men (though I would imagine the traitors that betray Mormont are the ones Jon is referring too since they actually kill Mormont and those loyal to him).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

Its interesting that they had Arya add Melisandre to her list.

Yeah, that's the thing that jumped out at me from the trailer. Could be foreshadowing (Melisandre even says she'll meet Arya again, last season), but then again it's not like Arya has killed a lot of people from her list.

The other thing that jumped out at me is Tyrion's voiceover saying 'If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place' while showing the Red Viper duel, heh.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It could totally be Coldhands. Whether he looks like a wight or an Other really isn't important thematically. If he was a wight, the confirmation of whether he's Benjen or not would have to happen early. This leaves the possibility that he's Benjen intact without drastically changing the actual character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

escape artist posted:

I wish my friend had not gotten her teaching gig in her hometown so we can't watch it together. I want to see her reaction. The Red Wedding was a hands over eyes afare for her.

The best will the Viper/Mountain fight. People will he "oh ya gently caress THAT GUY!" while Martel is beating the poo poo out the Mountain, but the end it will all come crashing down.

Oh man, I'm already seeing people take the City in Dust song as some kind of hidden meaning "Dany's going to burn Kings Landing down!!!" Yea, no its just a cool song.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

The other thing that jumped out at me is Tyrion's voiceover saying 'If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place' while showing the Red Viper duel, heh.

You touch-a his whore, he break-a your face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

escape artist posted:

"If you think this has a happy ending...yeah well, okay, I'll give you this one."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"You've come to the RONGUE place"

Goddamn, Dinklage has been spending too much time in accent training with Aiden Gillen.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dany's eyebrows are still the show's worst special effect.

Edit: :ughh:

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 17, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Well, somebody's sure growing up!

edit: I guess that footage was in the 15min trailer but I somehow glossed over the scale. Oh well. :(

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 17, 2014

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Friendly Factory posted:

It could totally be Coldhands.

He's not riding an elk. Just a case of moosetaken identity.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got my season 1-3 BD box set, woop! At least we finished watching House of Cards season 2 last night, there's gonna be a lot of TV-watching this month.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Melisandre is probably on the list because in the show she takes Gendry.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kawalimus posted:

I loved that scene so much, that little interaction between Arya and Melisandre.

It was such a disappointment when I found none of that had happened in the books.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wonder if maybe this means Melisandre might be the first big assassination target for Arya in the overall story. They basically tell us in the show they're going to see each other again.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Kawalimus posted:

It does seem like a low bar to get on her murder list, considering how everyone else got on that murder list.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

rypakal posted:

It does seem like a low bar to get on her murder list, considering how everyone else got on that murder list.

Then again, Mel might be the only one left by the time Arya gets around to murdering.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

But doesn't this mean milsandre (sorry on my phone) 100℅ safe as arya doesn't exist anymore?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
But she does, that's why she has Needle hidden away.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I noticed in the trailer that Ser Ilyn has been surreptitiously dropped from Arya's death prayer. Assuming it hasn't been edited to only feature the "big" names, which might be the case since the Mountain is curiously absent as well (and if so, why aren't they stressing him at every opportunity? Silly showrunners.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

In It For The Tank posted:

I think that is Team Dragonstone burning some random woman.

(Why David and Dan? Why do you hate Stannis so much? He burns Alester Florent in the books but that dude betrayed him and tried to hand Shireen over to the Lannisters. Why is he just burning random people now?)

Why don't we wait until the show airs? We have literally nothing to go on to give context to what the show is going to show right there. No words being spoken, just a single shot of someone burning on a stake.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I am quite comfortable assuming the showrunners will continue their general trend of showing Stannis in the worst possible light possible.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

I am quite comfortable assuming the showrunners will continue their general trend of showing Stannis in the worst possible light possible.

Well, in between his defeat at King's Landing and his eventual arrival at north, he was pretty much just sitting in his keep, moping. Not a whole lot of ways to show that in a positive light.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing that bothers me a bit from that trailer is the Mountain's armor during the duel with Oberyn. Looks more like samurai armor than plate mail. What's with the Shredder mask?

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

timp posted:

The only thing that bothers me a bit from that trailer is the Mountain's armor during the duel with Oberyn. Looks more like samurai armor than plate mail. What's with the Shredder mask?

Armor chat? ARMOR CHAT!!!!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Andrew Verse posted:

Well, in between his defeat at King's Landing and his eventual arrival at north, he was pretty much just sitting in his keep, moping. Not a whole lot of ways to show that in a positive light.

Moping, sure. Not casually burning people alive.

And I'm not referring to the woman in the trailer here. I'm talking about his eagerness to burn Gendry after just one king had died rather than all three like in the books. Jumping the gun a bit, aren't you Show Stannis? Book Stannis drags his feet right until Joffrey dies, and even then threatens to straight up torture Melisandre to death if her ritual burning of Edric fails. Show Stannis? gently caress it, burn everyone.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I noticed in the trailer that Ser Ilyn has been surreptitiously dropped from Arya's death prayer. Assuming it hasn't been edited to only feature the "big" names, which might be the case since the Mountain is curiously absent as well (and if so, why aren't they stressing him at every opportunity? Silly showrunners.)

I think it was edited. Although it'd be funny if she continues to say "The Hound" in the prayer... as she tells it in front of The Hound.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah she didn't mention Polliver or Ser Meryn either, I wouldn't read too much into it. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Ilyn does get quietly written out without any special mention. I don't believe he's actually been seen since the Blackwater episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Friendly Factory posted:

It could totally be Coldhands. Whether he looks like a wight or an Other really isn't important thematically. If he was a wight, the confirmation of whether he's Benjen or not would have to happen early. This leaves the possibility that he's Benjen intact without drastically changing the actual character.

If Coldhands was Benjen, why wouldn't he tell Bran?

• Locked thread