Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

and armed guards beat you to death for so much as stepping on a sidewalk without showing your sidewalk usage subscription card first

this already happens in america though i got stopped twice in like a week by men with guns asking for id and i'm not even a minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
sorry im late, just wanted to say

i came

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pointsofdata posted:

this already happens in america though i got stopped twice in like a week by men with guns asking for id and i'm not even a minority
breaking my street's appallingly low speed limit while on a bicycle

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

they tried but there really wasn't any interest

:golfclap:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jonny 290 posted:

:drat:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
this is the original bitcointalk camgirl thread someone was talking about earlier. it gets downright misogynistic at points when the guy realizes she's smarter than him

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20984.0

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

[–]jert2 6 points 1 hour ago*

I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and for anyone that uses a logical and rational thought process, not one based on tradition or 'just because', bitcoin is a much more valid form of currency than fiat debt-money.

I love reading the banking cartel's anti-bitcoin propaganda. For the majority of the arguments they use, they be can applied exactly to fiat money, with more effect.

IMHO, the greatest strength of bitcoin is how difficult it is to counterfeit and create.

Our current global financial system makes almost no sense, it is borderline fantastical. But it is so dominant folks can't understand how an economy could work with non-debt based money. Or money backed by gold, like it used to be (and should still be, if the citizenry demanded their government to follow the Constitution).

When you have a private company printing the global measuring stick of worth (USD) that every currency is pegged against and profiting 6% from every dollar they create by creating an IOU and selling it for another IOU (which is a promise that the tax payer will pay for the dollar in actual wealth) you have a serious problem.

And then later down the road when you have Goldman Sachs effectively creates and controls your government's economic policy, you have even a greater problem.

Then when you can loan $100 or $1000 for every dollar you have in the bank, things get worse.

I sincerely believe that is far more likely that fiat will have a major collapse (say, lose >80% of its worth) than will bitcoin.

I encourage anyone to read up on how money is created, how money used to work in history (when it was backed, or made out of precious metals) and how Goldman Sachs employees (and other banks) have been changing governmental economic policy in their favour to a tremendous extent over the last 2-3 decades, and furthermore, how likely this house-of-cards system will crash (a fiat currency has never survived that long in historical terms, against the wealth of rare commodities or metals). This system is explicitly designed to move money up, not down. This is simply a fact, just look for yourself and how wealth is becoming more and more concentrated to the few thousand people on top of the pyramid. And more so each year.

You should also know that every fiat dollar you save will likely lose about 5% or more of its worth over the next 12 months.

Finally: ask yourself if it makes any sense that the majority of 1st world, wealthiest countries in the world are looking at bankruptcy? Then ask yourself where did the money go? And then realize that most major corporations, such as Apple, pay less than 2% tax, and finally, you will see, just how screwed you are getting from our financial system.

If wealth was even remotely dispersed evenly there would be a severe lack of people who sadly spend their lives and energies making money for someone else in jobs they have no passion for. You do not have to live your life like that, it is a choice that you can make.

Bitcoin is going up so fast more so because fiat currencies are losing value against it, because bitcoin is not created from thin-air.

Goldman Sachs employees in the government: http://prof77.wordpress.com/politics/an-updated-list-of-goldman-sachs-ties-to-the-obama-government-including-elena-kagan/

6% profit, which increases with 'quantitative easing' i.e printing more debt-money which is then used to purchase real assets, such as commodities or real estate: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/20/news/economy/federal_reserve_profit/

It is more fair to say that fiat currencies are a 'bubble', then bitcoin. Why? Because again, fiat debt-money is created from nothing and must inflate to survive. Once the inflation goes run-away (which happens most of the time) the currency will collapse. Do you think this will go down? http://www.usdebtclock.org/

How does an economy work using debt-based money? Well if you were born today in America, your share of the national debt would be about $400,000 right off the top. Your government has promised you'll pay your entire life's wages to cover the interest on some purchases made a few decades ago. You may haven given 50% of what you earn working full time, your entire life, to pay for some tank that was never used, or some great night out for a visiting politician. That's sad, no ?

Imagine if you had 40% more assets. Did you know income tax is a very new invention?

Read the Constitution. It's a great read. It says really wild stuff, like you can not be spied upon without just cause. And stuff like the government can't sell you into debt-slavery the moment you are born. Really far-out ideas that people actually died for, to see it pass -- can you believe it?

We now have an alternative option. A viable one. For the information age. The age of iron and machines is coming to pass. Debt-money won't last. Cryptographic currencies will. They are the future. Get off the sinking ship and get on board.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
every single one of these vanity screeds reads exactly the same and like a page from a manifesto released after a bombing

its like they write them to convince themselves, because they cant seriously believe that anyone not buttwashed will suddenly go "oh, how wrong i was!" after reading another 4-page rant about the constitution and fiat currency

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Was excited to use bitcoins, but now I've stopped drinking the kool-aid. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago* by antibody339

Backstory of me: I used an excellent service back in the day called Bitfloor. Really easy platform and low to non-existent fees. However, USA regulators shut them down. It was a nightmare trying to get my coins out as I think it was a one-man operation.

Recently, I went out to go ramen at a local ramen shop that took in bitcoins. When the time came to pay, they gave me a QR code on Bitpay and I scanned it. I then logged onto my blockchain.info wallet and pasted the address and sent the coins. The waitress was telling me that Bitpay would display "payment successful" once the transaction finished. 5 minutes passed, nothing. My wallet was reading zero confirmations. 10 minutes pass, the waitress says she will be back. I look at my wallet and it says "1 confirmation". Another 20 minutes pass, the place is getting ready to close down. At this point the Bitpay has still not received my payment. I was up to 5 confirmations and 30 minutes have passed. I finally said gently caress it and paid old school with a credit card. Now i'm back home and it reads "9 confirmations." I always thought bitcoin payment was near instant? Now I have to embarassingly call them back ... but when? How do I know my payment has gone through? Way too much god drat hassle. And if they never receive the funds after 9 confirmations, how do I go about getting my bitcoins back?

Lastly, here's the kicker. After the bitfloor incident I was still very wary of exchanges. Here's an idea -- Why not use MTGox, a widely respected, long uptime, and probably biggest platform? (I think this was late 2012's, when these were all still true). I've been trading from time to time on GOX without any problems until recently, where I can't get my own drat money out. I'm through with this. From now on it's cash and credit. That's the problem with an UNREGULATED, DECENTRALIZED cryptocurrency, who's the say that BTC-E or Bitstamp or a similar service won't pull a bitfloor or mtgox? I know the evangelists will try to defend bitcoin but now it's cash and credit (regulated currency) for now. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Addendum: Everyone talking about why MTGOX going bankrupt is a GOOD thing just pisses me off. Do you guys not realize that there are PEOPLE with bitcoins and money in here? You are essentially hoping that we lose all our coins and money. Unfortunately, bitcoins will never enjoy FDIC insurance that is offered to banks.

[–]evoorhees 23 points 3 hours ago

I'm hearing lots of complaints about the state of current Bitcoin infrastructure, but nothing about the protocol itself.

Retail payments can and should be instant with Bitcoin. Faster than a credit card. Software and exchanges will get better, I promise.

[–]paleh0rse 5 points 1 hour ago

For a cup of f'n soup?! That's absolutely ridiculous.

The max confirmations they should require for such a small transaction is one (1), and even that is fairly ridiculous.

Who the hell would risk jail and unbelievable resources to steal a cup of soup?!

Someone really needs to talk to that shop owner...

[–]ForestOfGrins 3 points 2 hours ago

It's unfortunate that you had to wait so long; but that is no fault on you. The merchant should have allowed for zero-confirmations, considering the need for instant payments and increasingly unlikely event of a double spend.

Would you happen to have the name of this establishment? I'm sure someone here could write a helpful email how to improve their setup to increase customer satisfaction.

[–]John-Garrison 1 point 1 hour ago

Yes, this. Many people who accept Bitcoins don't know how to use the system properly. An unfortunate growing pain.

[–]EwoutDVP 30 points 3 hours ago

All the issues you mention have nothing to do with Bitcoin being decentralized or unregulated. It has everything to do with the services around Bitcoin being in their infancy.

See you later.

[–]BitSimple 7 points 1 hour ago

This BitPay will get better (and so will the host of competitors which come along).

From the outside in either BitPay service went down or the merchant wasn't educated well enough that they don't need to require 6 confirmations for a cup of soup.

Either way BitPay can resolve that.

[–]_EuroTrash_ 3 points 17 minutes ago

If the merchant had setup BitPay to accept 6 or more confirmations they are doing it wrong. That is overkill security for paying for a ramen.

How many times have people been warned (here and on bitcointalk) to stay away from MtGox since last April? And yet they keep falling for that scam of an exchange? Well if you want protection from your own poor choices then stay with the bank and pay the fees.

[–]AnonymousRev 2 points 1 hour ago*

Lots of people ran out of gas and said cars were bullshit. Horses might of been more reliable at the time but new technology will win out long run.

[–]cypherdoc2 1 point 16 minutes ago

Good analogy.

Who here thinks Tesla is doomed just because they have a dearth of electric charging stations out there?

[–]mccorvic 2 points 1 hour ago

I bought a tank of gas with zero confirmations and the whole thing took less time than a credit card transaction.

I'm assuming someone did something wrong in your scenario.

[–]AnalWithAGoat 1 point 1 hour ago

Complains about Bitcoin... Didn't use Bitcoin, just some private and centralized lovely service.

[–]flamingboard 2 points 2 hours ago

Mt. Gox has been crap since before 2012. Anyone who did a modicum of research could have read the horror stories. Instead they didn't bother and just went, "I've heard of them," and signed up ignoring the risks. I've never had issues with BitPay. I send them coins and it confirms right away. This sounds like you went to a place that didn't have it set up right and you're trying to blame bitcoin for that. Yes bitcoin is new and isn't perfect but it does work regardless of whether some people can't be bothered to read.

[–]nightpanda2810 1 point 3 hours ago

I bought some MTG cards at a shop the other day. I used the CoinJar app on my phone, they were using Coinbase on theirs. Other than it taking a few minutes to send on my phone (bad signal) once it said sent on my phone they got their confirmation in less than a minute.

[–]reverb256 1 point 1 hour ago

Yeah, this still an early technology. Every problem encountered is an opportunity for improvement.

Have you ever used software that's in active development?

[–]Vibr8gKiwi 1 point 57 minutes ago*

I'd be pretty annoyed with bitcoin too if I had held my coins in mtgox. Luckily I'm aware of the problems exchanges have, in particular mtgox, and I don't keep any coins in an exchange (or under the control of any 3rd party). Letting you control your money yourself is really what bitcoin is all about.

So yeah, if you're gonna give control of your money to 3rd parties you will want regulation (and might as well stick with dollars). Or you could take the responsibility yourself.... that's what bitcoin gives you the tools to do.

[–]hypnoderp 1 point 31 minutes ago

TL;DR I didn't know enough about bitcoin, which ended up biting me in the rear end, and now I don't like it.

[–]throwaway43572 1 point 28 minutes ago

Would you expect a store to send in a forensics team to check the validity of your $1 bill? If not then you should be equally pissed at the store for waiting for confirmations. double spends are ridiculously impossible to pull off. As long as both parties see the same thing on their seperate devices everything is guranteed to work.

[–]Metagen 0 points 2 hours ago

should have done your homework

[–]soleresult -1 points 55 minutes ago

Life is hard it's not Bitcoins fault, it's your fault for being a whiny little bitch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

...! posted:

this is the original bitcointalk camgirl thread someone was talking about earlier. it gets downright misogynistic at points when the guy realizes she's smarter than him

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20984.0

this is the good one you should read, jessy lang smacks this idiot down

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FCKGW posted:

this is the good one you should read, jessy lang smacks this idiot down

Jessy Kang posted:

Vegetta aka FlipPro posted:

Jesse I would love to use your contacts, but your way of approaching this entire thing has been appalling. Instead of messaging me and telling me what you had to offer, you instead wrote a monologue about how this business is going to fail. Are you just mad you didn't come up with the domain name or idea first? Are you mad that you have no technical abilities to offer to the team other than your management experience and a few contacts?
I've got 12 nude models, a shooting facility, a dedicated offshore steaming server and a ton of adult traffic- you have a CafePress tshirt site and can "fix computers". Yet, you still are convinced I was applying to be on your team.

You Sir are Awesome :D :D :D
lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

also this doofus tried posted this on /r/actualmoney

What's the point?
approved by dhamster 26 minutes ago (self.actualmoney)
submitted 1 hour ago by KingOfStraw

I'm still trying to figure out the point of ActualMoney? So you shave your neckbeard, leave your basement, go do work, then they pay you in this garbage which will eventually be worthless because the evil Fed keeps printing more? Basically, you have to earn money, but then you have to KEEP earning money or investing in the economy. We are literally one step from 1984. This doesn't sit well with me, which is why I am going to keep all my money in cryptocoins, which are rare and thus valuable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

...! posted:

[–]jert2 6 points 1 hour ago*

I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and for anyone that uses a logical and rational thought process,

I love reading the banking cartel's anti-bitcoin propaganda.

I sincerely believe that is far more likely that fiat will have a major collapse (say, lose >80% of its worth) than will bitcoin.

:ironicat:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

FCKGW posted:

also this doofus tried posted this on /r/actualmoney

What's the point?
approved by dhamster 26 minutes ago (self.actualmoney)
submitted 1 hour ago by KingOfStraw

I'm still trying to figure out the point of ActualMoney? So you shave your neckbeard, leave your basement, go do work, then they pay you in this garbage which will eventually be worthless because the evil Fed keeps printing more? Basically, you have to earn money, but then you have to KEEP earning money or investing in the economy. We are literally one step from 1984. This doesn't sit well with me, which is why I am going to keep all my money in cryptocoins, which are rare and thus valuable.

oh my god what

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

That's like 4th dimensional poe's law.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

no but see if your head is upside down stuck in your rear end then the chart actually points upwards

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
how come bitcoinity sometimes doesn't show local bitcoin?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

out of respect for the dead

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I think they understand a $300-1500 spread looks silly?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TVarmy posted:

I think they understand a $300-1500 spread looks silly?

I'm the 30 day 70% loss in value that was totally more likely to happen to evil fiat

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Idea to help demonstrate how revolutionary Bitcoin is (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 minute ago by freakingjesus

Capitalism is voting with your money. Can somebody please create a reddit-like website that uses bitcoins as upvotes which get sent to the person who posted. It'd be like crowd funding for ideas / memes / posts

I don't have the ability to program this so I'd rather donate the idea to the community so that it happens faster.

Somebody please make this a reality. It will demonstrate how and why bitcoin is a better approach than credit cards for online payments.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm an ideas person. but unfortunately i'm stupid. please hepl

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
*real money loses 70% of its value over half a century*

"OH MY GOD GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY END THE FED #JEWS"

*bitcoin loses 70% of its value in three hours*

"JUST A MARKET CORRECTION; THIS IS GOOD FOR BITCOIN BECAUSE ____________"

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I'm lazy as gently caress....

What was Mt Gox's monday announcement?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

woozle wuzzle posted:

you can start withdrawing no more than 1 bitcoin, in about 3 weeks or so

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

"We'll have everything fixed next week. Promise"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

crowd funding for ideas / memes / posts ... but with Bitcoins!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

FCKGW posted:

crowd funding for ideas / memes / posts ... but with Bitcoins!

from freakingjesus via /r/Bitcoin/ sent 6 minutes ago

I suppose this might just be a circlejerk fantasy..

But it's a simple idea, it wouldn't take long to create and it might work.

Also Bitcoin > Paypal (didn't the CEO of paypal even say that?)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

woozle wuzzle posted:

that blockchain.info is now going to be the authority on what transactions are legitimate or not. this is how they're solving the transaction malleability problem, by creating a central point of trust for their decentralized protocol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Robawesome posted:

from freakingjesus via /r/Bitcoin/ sent 6 minutes ago

I suppose this might just be a circlejerk fantasy..

But it's a simple idea, it wouldn't take long to create and it might work.

Also Bitcoin > Paypal (didn't the CEO of paypal even say that?)

bitcoins in a nutshell

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

urrgh!!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

ahah lowtax you doublefaggot

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
My friend attended Coinfest 2014 in scenic Winnipeg, Manitoba. Before we begin, I want to point out that the same weekend as coinfest there was an international sustainability congress in the city. The bitlords opted to congregate at a pizzeria across town instead, however, and avoided any real discussion about the city's future. But we got an ATM now!

In classic libertarian fashion, the talks obstructed the emergency exit:

On normal days this place is usually pretty equally split in terms of gender and age. That poo poo don't fly at coinfest, though!

bitcoin ATM being used by a :siren:FEMALE:siren:

This man was dubbed "Nerdimus Maximus" and had a stench so powerful that the pizzeria smells could not drown it out. He "lectured" about crypto history for a painful twenty minutes.

On the left: simultaneously one of two female attendees and bitcoin grandma

ReptileChillock fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 18, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this is p weird

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

theadder posted:

this is p weird

i agree. women are p weird.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

ReptileChillock posted:

bitcoin ATM being used by a :siren:FEMALE:siren:

i'm the enormously huge outward facing touchscreen that allows anyone in 20 feet to read what you're punching in

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

im the two handle bars making it easier for me to pick up and walk off with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ReptileChillock posted:

This man was dubbed "Nerdimus Maximus" and had a stench so powerful that the pizzeria smells could not drown it out. He "lectured" about crypto history for a painful twenty minutes.

that's not asperger's, that's loving down's

• Locked thread