Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

No, you see, it needs a definition because they've expanded the meaning of those words to include things like "Articles that admit Bitcoin isn't perfect," "Mt. Gox's price not being high," and "Actual Economics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
hell, even the name "tulipfutures" is so beautiful for posting in a bitcoin forum

99.9% of them won't get the reference either and that just makes it more amazing

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

its robawesome fwiw

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

its robawesome fwiw

shhh

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i approve

+TIP 0.005 BITCOINS GOOD SIR

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I dunno whats going on, but my Android wallet emptied itself this morning. (blockchain.info)

submitted 1 minute ago by homer2320776

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Robawesome posted:

I dunno whats going on, but my Android wallet emptied itself this morning. (blockchain.info)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i approve

+TIP 0.005 BITCOINS GOOD SIR

who tips in bitcoin anymore

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robawesome posted:

woah what just happened

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome posted:

[–]Friedbolt 1 point 12 minutes ago

Probably got stolen

[–]homer2320776[S] 1 point 8 minutes ago

It wasn't much, but what did I do wrong? I've only had an Android wallet and changed my address when that one flaw was found. I dunno what's going on.

[–]reed07 1 point 5 minutes ago

You should not keep a wallet on an android device--it is terribly unsecure. Instead, try an online wallet with an android app such as blockchain.info. Even then, it would be better to keep BTC in cold storage/Paper wallet form.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Robawesome posted:

[–]Friedbolt 1 point 12 minutes ago

Probably got stolen

[–]homer2320776[S] 1 point 8 minutes ago

It wasn't much, but what did I do wrong? I've only had an Android wallet and changed my address when that one flaw was found. I dunno what's going on.

You should not keep a wallet on an android device--it is terribly unsecure. Instead, try an online wallet with an android app such as blockchain.info. Even then, it would be better to keep BTC in cold storage/Paper wallet form.

this is much better than fiat because

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

All it takes (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 22 minutes ago by trowawayatwork

One major company to adopt or even just part adopt a bitcoin payment platform. Think about it at the very worst they will make gains in the short term just by acquiring bitcoins and seeing the value soar as circulation increases. In terms of costing money I am sure major companies have parties that cost more so even if it does got to pot its just a drop in the ocean in their diversification strategies.

My question what is stopping them? Are they waiting for the 1.0 protocol? why no fund the foundation to help the research along? is it really all to do with trying not to get on the wrong side of backers of fiat currency?*

*E.g. if Amazon decided to accept bitcoin (I read that alone would put the price up to around 5000$) could visa etc literally cut their services to them essentially shutting down Amazon?

[–]Sir__Knee_Grow 0 points 19 minutes ago

Tbh if Amazon started accepting BTC it value would be 5000$ at least and the butthurt from VISA/PayPal would be huge, so huge that there could only be 2 outcomes : 1. Start accepting BTC 2. Go 404

[–]trowawayatwork[S] 1 point 4 minutes ago

i have never heard of overstock or tigerdirect, not big enough companies

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

Bitcoin’s largest exchange is dying. Here’s why that’s not a problem for Bitcoin.
upworthy-style headlines... but with bitcoin!!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

it's still uncomprehensible to me why they go "amazon should do this it would be awesome and not too expensive for them!" and not have any idea why amazon would do this

plus there's reasons why not (it wouldn't support the volume, it might not be legal) but that's just FUD

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

bitcoin: storing your money under everyone else's mattress

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gently caress apple android let's you carry bitcoins smash your iphones and get a nexus

Robawesome posted:

oh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android is about freedom (to have your bitcoins stolen) iphone is about doing what your told (not using bitcoins)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Can a Wearable Bitcoin Wallet Bring Cryptocurrency Into Meatspace? (bitcoinmagazine.com)

submitted 14 seconds ago by vkaminas

Paying in Bitcoin already offers tons of advantages over credit cards. It’s by-default more secure, and on the internet at least, faster and easier. However, paying with bitcoin IRL has until now been pretty clunky, generally involving scanning multiple QR codes, signing and approving. All that may change, however, with the introduction of technology aimed at simplifying paying with Bitcoin at the point of sale. BIPS has made this possible by using the Samsung Galaxy Gear Watch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

urgh

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

okay, so, get this, i had an idea

i think it'll really jumpstart the widespread adoption of bitcoin

what if you had, like, some sort of "wearable" "wallet" that you could store your bitcoins in

nothing like this has ever been done with fiat money, so i think people will finally start to see the benefits of bitcoin

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

did you see the open letter that guy wrote to obama

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Robawesome posted:

Can a Wearable Bitcoin Wallet Bring Cryptocurrency Into Meatspace? (bitcoinmagazine.com)

submitted 14 seconds ago by vkaminas

Paying in Bitcoin already offers tons of advantages over credit cards. It’s by-default more secure, and on the internet at least, faster and easier. However, paying with bitcoin IRL has until now been pretty clunky, generally involving scanning multiple QR codes, signing and approving. All that may change, however, with the introduction of technology aimed at simplifying paying with Bitcoin at the point of sale. BIPS has made this possible by using the Samsung Galaxy Gear Watch.

how the hell is it "by-default more secure"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

[–]bitalias 3 points 1 hour ago
There's only 0.1 - 0.5% of bitcoins for sale at any one time.
Because of this it really wouldn't take an insane amount of money to push the price that high.
People seem to confuse market caps with the actual amount of cash poured in. It'll always be a fraction of that.

[–]AnalWithAGoat 8 points 2 hours ago
We could easily achieve 50k by using Bitcoin as a store of wealth. No need for 100% of transactions or anything crazy like that.

[–]i_can_get_you_a_toe 2 points 35 minutes ago
Yeah, but that's blasphemy on this subreddit. Store of wealth and getting rich is beneath the high priests of /r/bitcoin, you can only talk about transactions.

[–]king-six 1 point 5 minutes ago
Right, I noticed that lately too: everyone is all about 'banking the unbanked', remittances for the poor etc. but gawd forbid ever mention it's incredible speculative potential. It's like talking about getting rich on bitcoin should be 'beneath' this community? Like it or not, the positive feedback loop of adoption and price is part of bitcoin's ingenious design and one of it's selling points.

guys good currencies are the ones no one use right?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

did you see the open letter that guy wrote to obama

yes it was pretty amazing

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

how the hell is it "by-default more secure"

because bitcoin

(This is what those words link to)

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
my dad is asking me on fb if i've heard of these dogecoin things
i just send him a link to buttcoin.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Shameful gibis cross post

BFL's latest crack pipe mining card

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

guys good currencies are the ones no one use right?

from that one

[–]so-to-speak 4 points 2 hours ago
Speculative buying and hoarding of bitcoin is good for the growth of bitcoin. This chart explains it. More info here.

http://themisescircle.org/blog/2014/02/12/im-hoarding-bitcoins-and-no-you-cant-have-any/

[–]ztsmart 3 points 1 hour ago
This is correct. Here's an EIL5:
Hording causes increased demand. Increase demand causes pool of value. There is more incentive for merchants to tap into a larger value pools than small ones.
Few merchants wanted a slice of the Bitcoin economy when it was a $1 Billion dollar pie. Many merchants will want to tap into this economy if it is a $100 billion market

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jre posted:

please don't post my bong

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

jre posted:

what the gently caress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

57Hz posted:

my dad is asking me on fb if i've heard of these dogecoin things
i just send him a link to buttcoin.

congrats he is going to buy a bfl miner preorder

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Robawesome posted:

Paying in Bitcoin already offers tons of advantages over credit cards. It’s by-default more secure, and on the internet at least, faster and easie

what

no its not

in no possible way is it faster and easier than paying with a credit card

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

but all their security reasons

are based around getting your credit card number

it is just as possible to get your private key, the only difference is that there is no recourse when it happens

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

jre posted:

I see bfl is going full audiophile now

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.

Endless Mike posted:

congrats he is going to buy a bfl miner preorder

i was hoping i would never have to have the cryptocurrency talk with my parents

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

transfatphobic posted:

what

no its not

in no possible way is it faster and easier than paying with a credit card

no see with credit cards you have to type a number, or like a password or something, but with bitcoins you just fumble with your phone and scan a code and press a button and then with no fees you instantly... hey how come my wallet is empty

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ive done bitcoin transactions on the internet, its taken easily 10x as longer and involves literally throwing "money" at an address and hoping that one day they send an email saying they received the coins, unless youre hovering on blockchain and mashing F5 for confirmations

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

transfatphobic posted:

ive done bitcoin transactions on the internet, its taken easily 10x as longer and involves literally throwing "money" at an address and hoping that one day they send an email saying they received the coins, unless youre hovering on blockchain and mashing F5 for confirmations

so did you get your drugs?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FrozenVent posted:

what the gently caress

i bet they had to switch to water cooling to have any hope of hitting their promised hash rates.

if they were smart (they are not) they would just layout the board to use some sort of standard CPU cooler. it isn't like they are actually going to be mounted in a case anyway. pick a cheap stock one as the "official" cooler and let their customers go nuts with crazy combinations bought via tigerdirect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Wouldn't you have to type an address or something to send bitcoins. I don't understand how these people can think its instant in a way different from credit cards, unless bitcoin is reading their minds or something.

• Locked thread