Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

savinhill posted:

Pirate Code says it's not gay if it happens in the gently caress Tent

Hahah nice. BTW, did the now legless old guy end up saving the kitty :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

savinhill posted:

Pirate Code says it's not gay if it happens in the gently caress Tent

What happens in the FuckTent stays in the FuckTent

Conquistador posted:

Presumably yes.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think there's a quick shot of the kitty running past the cauldron that they recycled from the earlier scene of the kitty that they just threw in there during the leg-chop scene. I wasn't sure if my eyes were playing with me, but I'm pretty sure they just reused the three-second footage of it, so the kitty is safe.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I think there's a quick shot of the kitty running past the cauldron that they recycled from the earlier scene of the kitty that they just threw in there during the leg-chop scene. I wasn't sure if my eyes were playing with me, but I'm pretty sure they just reused the three-second footage of it, so the kitty is safe.

There was, yeah.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Conquistador posted:

They made sure to show a shot focusing on the cat escaping from under the boat.I am glad Starz knows what is up.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

KatWithHands posted:

I don't know if it was just a throw-away line for the sake of filling space (him not going to the brothel, I mean), or I'm still stuck on Agron in Spartacus, but I can't help but feel that if/when they do spotlight a gay pirate, it's going to be Billy. Probably way off, but those are the vibes I'm getting.

edit: Granted, I haven't read Treasure Island since I was a preteen, so I can't remember if there's anything there to prove or disprove that right out of the gate.

This is all I could think of: http://youtu.be/FyRPmMi1Mio
[fast forward to 1:08]

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They made sure to show a shot focusing on the cat escaping from under the boat.I am glad Starz knows what is up.

I was honestly concerned about this. Shipcat is an important member of the crew.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

eriktown posted:

I was honestly concerned about this. Shipcat is an important member of the crew.

They eat the rats and mice, so ya they actually are important.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Also Shipcat is cute as gently caress, and not the worst actor on the show

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Her name is Betsy!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Five Cent Deposit posted:

You'll see more of that big dude in a future episode, yes. Also next week's episode has a sea battle. :)

Reading this, I figure Flint's going to want to attack the captain who was supposed to give him the cannons before he gets them back aboard and ready to use, then I remembered Flint's ship is still beached and being repaired. There is Vane's ship, was that one beached too?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
This episode is the show I think people wanted.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No gently caress tent.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Billy Bones owns. Flint owns. Silver owns.

This show owns.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thread title should be Black Sails: one finger in the bum, not three.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ship just got real

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Tighclops posted:

Ship just got real

Hahaha.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus Christ accountant guy. That sure is one way to kill a man. :stare:

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Black Sails basically just did Pirate D-Day. Show officially owns.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Ship just got real

Thread title.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tokubetsu posted:

This episode is the show I think people wanted.

Yeah this is definitely the "Just watch this one episode and see if you like it" episode for this show.

Having the boarding happen mostly through the accountant's perspective was a smart way to do that kind of thing without having to spend a shitload on ship-on-ship CGI and a giant brawl with 200 extras. And I really like that Vane and Rackham both just kind of have their own thing going on and aren't just token Bad Guys sitting on the sidelines waiting for the plot to need them, while still being reasonably connected to what's going on with Flint and Eleanor.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, that episode owned. I really enjoyed how they showed the boarding action as a very planned and deliberate affair, rather than just the old "sail up to them and swing on ropes a lot". Also, do we know who exactly captains the Scarborough and why he'd help the slaver?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't flint knock his rear end out in Guthries office, with Billy Bones.

e: Captain Hume IMDB tells me

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yup, it's Captain Hume and he was the guy in Guthrie's office that wanted to arrest them all, before Flint/Billy knocked him and his guys out and Guthrie got shot. The Scarborough is, presumably, an English military ship with a whole bunch of guns and a whole bunch of armed men on it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
English man o'war. pretty much meaning, full of dudes with guns.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

VDay posted:

Having the boarding happen mostly through the accountant's perspective was a smart way to do that kind of thing without having to spend a shitload on ship-on-ship CGI and a giant brawl with 200 extras.
I liked that approach too. It's pretty obvious they wanted this to have a mild History Channel sort of vibe ("...and this is where the term 'knots' comes from!"), and he worked pretty well as an audience-insert. It also made it doubly brutal when he nuts up and goes Hamster-style on the guy's throat because audience-inserts just don't do that.

(I should say that I routinely get lost in nautical terminology and know gently caress-all about how boats actually work, so I appreciate that mild History Channel vibe.)

They also did a good job with the sharpshooter. It's hard enough hitting a target from that far away with iron sights; try doing it when you and your target are bobbing like buoys. I like that they worked that bit in.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

AtraMorS posted:

I liked that approach too. It's pretty obvious they wanted this to have a mild History Channel sort of vibe ("...and this is where the term 'knots' comes from!"), and he worked pretty well as an audience-insert. It also made it doubly brutal when he nuts up and goes Hamster-style on the guy's throat because audience-inserts just don't do that.

(I should say that I routinely get lost in nautical terminology and know gently caress-all about how boats actually work, so I appreciate that mild History Channel vibe.)

They also did a good job with the sharpshooter. It's hard enough hitting a target from that far away with iron sights; try doing it when you and your target are bobbing like buoys. I like that they worked that bit in.

If I am not mistaken a bunch of the old muskets didn't have ironsights because you weren't supossed to aim too much just shoot in the general direction with the rest of your battalion and hope someone hits something.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Lamadrid posted:

If I am not mistaken a bunch of the old muskets didn't have ironsights because you weren't supossed to aim too much just shoot in the general direction with the rest of your battalion and hope someone hits something.
The sharpshooter was using a rifle.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Lamadrid posted:

True, and I remember noticing a lack of sights on those guns (nothing near the stock-end anyway; there might've been a bead or something at the other end of the barrel I didn't see).

Anyway, I was just using it in a general, "Aim by looking down the barrel," way because I don't know what it's called when you aim without an actual sight.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 23, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AtraMorS posted:

Anyway, I was just using it in a general, "Aim by looking down the barrel," way because I don't know what it's called when you aim without an actual sight.

I think it's still just called aiming. Maybe something unoriginal like "sightless aiming. " I'm sure a TFR goon would probably know for sure.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
About time we got some sailing action in this show again. Here's hoping more of that, and less Eleanor who still makes me wince with her terrible acting.

Gamesguy posted:

Rifles, which was a cool touch.

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011

Gamesguy posted:

How can you tell? Isn't the only difference between old-time rifles and muskets the presence/absence of grooves in the barrel?

Also loved the grenade usage in this episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Ship just got real

new thread title found

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strabo posted:

How can you tell? Isn't the only difference between old-time rifles and muskets the presence/absence of grooves in the barrel?

Also loved the grenade usage in this episode.

Well it's literally the only way he could have made an aimed shot at 200 yards so by presuming on the show's authenticity...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Strabo posted:

Rifles were generally more slender and usually lacked bayonet mounts as well. They were pretty expensive and subject to fouling so they never really had much widespread use until the Minie ball.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I was kind of on the fence for the show but reading this thread inspired me to check it out ..

This show is really, really good! Thanks TV IV for convincing me how good it was. I had to know what "fruit fruit tits tits plant plant" meant and boy am I glad I know now. This show reminds me of Deadwood / Boardwalk Empire and that is exactly what I wanted. I'm only on the 3rd episode but can't wait to get off work tomorrow to get caught up on the series.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
needs moar gently caress tent

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Meowbot posted:

I was kind of on the fence for the show but reading this thread inspired me to check it out ..

This show is really, really good! Thanks TV IV for convincing me how good it was. I had to know what "fruit fruit tits tits plant plant" meant and boy am I glad I know now. This show reminds me of Deadwood / Boardwalk Empire and that is exactly what I wanted. I'm only on the 3rd episode but can't wait to get off work tomorrow to get caught up on the series.

Yeah this is where I'm at (finished the third ep last night) and I am completely sold on this show. I don't think there's a single bad character in it (well, Silver is a very 'different' character compared to the rest, but that's sort of the point isn't it). When Max publicly spurned Eleanor and went to Vane I was all :suspense: and the quartermasters interacting is pure gold.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the modern dialogue dropped carelessly in, people saying "Get the gently caress out" or "What the gently caress?" or an old english man with pretensions of grandeur using the word "dumber" and so on, really knocks the show down and ruins otherwise good scenes. it's just so lazy on the part of the writers. Rome and deadwood used swearing really well - "Juno's oval office man, does your blood run mad?!" - working it into period phrasing.

of course it certainly doesn't help when the actors, particularly the guthrie woman who seems to be always telling someone to get the gently caress out, are incapable of delivering even the modern phrases convincingly.

other than that it's a great show. still waiting for that samurai pirate to flip out and do something awesome, saw him kissing his sword there before the boarding and thought we were in for it but I guess they're storing it up for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

needs moar gently caress tent

They should take the Urca as a prize ship and make a gently caress deck.

• Locked thread