Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Soviet_Russia posted:

Expansion gets you CB vs all Indian/Chinese nations (as long as you are Western/Eastern/Ottoman/(Muslim?))

Religious gets you CB vs anyone who is of a different religion than you (Heretic, Heathen, or Pagan)

Diplomacy gets you CB vs other government types. I'm not 100% sure exactly what qualifies as other governments but in general this CB seems to work best as Monarchy vs Republic

Edit: Also, more importantly, maxing out Diplomacy ideas reduces the stability hit you take from any diplomatic action that would normally give some. Meaning declaring war without CB is a lot more forgiving (only -1 stab and the inconvenience of not having a war goal)

For the expansion CB, the country also has to have their capitol in Asia. For example, you won't get the CB on Crimea because their capitol is technically in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Out of curiosity: since trade routes are fixed, how do they work in random new world?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 19, 2014

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Hopefully the new patch makes Hotjoin work better once again?

Since the release of CoP Hotjoining hasn't worked unfortunately (though previously it had worked perfectly!)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
:siren: I'm seeing initial reports that 1.5 breaks previous games :siren:

Last Emperor posted:

Since the release of CoP Hotjoining hasn't worked unfortunately (though previously it had worked perfectly!)

Also an initial report that the lobby crash is still not fixed.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Last Emperor posted:

Nope

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

Ships will no longer spread their damage as much in naval combat, and will keep firing at ships with 0 morale to sink them if possible.

I can't believe this change got left out of the patch notes highlights section. Completely changes the way naval battles go.

Soviet_Russia posted:

I've never seen an event like this. What countries get them?

The only one I know if is for Russia: once Constantinople has fallen, they have an even that will give them Greek as an accepted culture. Though I know in the past if you didn't own at least 10% base tax Greek provinces when it fired, you'd immediately lose it again anyway.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Also an initial report that the lobby crash is still not fixed.

drat.

Vequeth and I did some tests and our previous save on Gooniversalis did load up.

So it seems like saves do still load correctly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This one seems really important too:

quote:

- Fleet Basing Rights no longer gives colonial & coring range

I used it myself to spread faster to Asia.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's a killer. I play a lot of Dutch games, and with the Western Trade Node + CN's not taking exploration early, it'll be difficult to get an early colonial/trading game going as them without engaging in early warfare (yes there are options to mitigate this but it'll still be a pita.)

The update by the way did not break my save (although upon loading I lost all but one of my alliances. They also heavily nerfed the triggered modifier for Indonesian trade. 5% to trade income instead of the merchant + trade income. :/

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Man naval battles are hella deadly now. I was micromanaging my land armies when I lost 108 ships in a single battle.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

A Tartan Tory posted:

1.5 is out.

lovely AE mechanics are back in. :smith:

Took Ghent and Flanders from Burgundy and instantly got a coalition against me consisting of most of the German nations up to Brandenburg.

Is it worse than in the beta patches, or just 1.4?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's exactly the same as it was in the beta patches. Unless you're conquering a lot of poo poo very quickly or are in the HRE it's still not too bad.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Schwarbage posted:

Is it worse than in the beta patches, or just 1.4?

2 provinces outside the HRE taken, no previous AE with anyone in Europe, total base tax of these provinces 16. 10 Taken from fabricating a claim on Artois. Released Flanders beforehand to clear out the initial bullshit AE.

People who went into the coalition after that.

Burgundy (understandable as I took the provinces off them)
Lorraine
Austria
Savoy
Provence
Switzerland
Friesland
Trier

This is far, far worse than it even was in 1.3 and I quit the game in 1.3 out of frustration with it.

Edit: Pic of the coalition after taking another two provinces (Barrois and Dauphine), getting caught once in the process of claim fabrication. For a total of 5 provinces taken in about 15 years.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 20, 2014

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

RabidWeasel posted:

It's exactly the same as it was in the beta patches. Unless you're conquering a lot of poo poo very quickly or are in the HRE it's still not too bad.

Oh thank god. I don't think I could handle it if Paradox looked at the beta patches and decided AE needed to be cranked up even more.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

At least it gives me an excuse for endless, total war with the rest of Europe I guess.

Should be amusing.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

2 provinces outside the HRE taken, no previous AE with anyone in Europe, total base tax of these provinces 16. 10 Taken from fabricating a claim on Artois. Released Flanders beforehand to clear out the initial bullshit AE.

Lorraine
Austria
Savoy
Provence
Switzerland
Friesland
Trier

This is far, far worse than it even was in 1.3 and I quit the game in 1.3 out of frustration with it.

Edit: Pic of the coalition after taking another two provinces (Barrois and Dauphine), getting caught once in the process of claim fabrication. For a total of 5 provinces taken in about 15 years.

If you were trying to RP as Louis XIV, I think you succeeded.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Releasing vassals doesn't reduce AE any more, it's not in the patch notes so it may be a bug but it could be an intentional change.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Releasing vassals doesn't reduce AE any more, it's not in the patch notes so it may be a bug but it could be an intentional change.

That explains it I guess, that AE is from taking about 8 provinces in a decade or so then, which is far more understandable.

dublish posted:

If you were trying to RP as Louis XIV, I think you succeeded.

Well, if I am the Sun King, I guess I should start expanding more in Africa and Asia, seeing as they don't share European AE!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Elias_Maluco posted:

Man why would you do that? Unless you're a coastal power it's going to make colonization a lot more deterministic.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Tartan Tory posted:

Lorraine
Austria
Savoy
Provence
Switzerland
Friesland
Trier

I dunno, given that you're a mega Great Britain that has conquered France, apparently some of Aragon(?) and is now aggressively expanding on the border of the HRE, I think your neighbors are probably right to be worried. :ohdear:

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
I read through the patch notes and couldn't see anything about this (and maybe I'm just an idiot!) but is the whole, Colonial Nations making protectorates out of natives and going to war against you when you attack those natives still a thing or did they fix it?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So I'm pretty new to this and have made it to 1460 so far as Castile, taking Navara, Granada and the provinces either side and becoming Papal Controller of the Holy See. Where should I be going from here? Also, i'm sitting at about +13 ducats a month. Should I be thinking about upgrading one of my advisors by now or should I wait til I have a larger positive income?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Man why would you do that? Unless you're a coastal power it's going to make colonization a lot more deterministic.

Deterministic means easier to balance, means easier to assure historical outcomes. As a railroader, I like this.

Bossie Lott posted:

I read through the patch notes and couldn't see anything about this (and maybe I'm just an idiot!) but is the whole, Colonial Nations making protectorates out of natives and going to war against you when you attack those natives still a thing or did they fix it?

I'm almost certain they fixed this in one of the early betas, so it should be fixed. I didn't have any troubles with stuff like that in my beta game.

Asciana posted:

So I'm pretty new to this and have made it to 1460 so far as Castile, taking Navara, Granada and the provinces either side and becoming Papal Controller of the Holy See. Where should I be going from here? Also, i'm sitting at about +13 ducats a month. Should I be thinking about upgrading one of my advisors by now or should I wait til I have a larger positive income?

Murder Portugal. :black101:

Without Portugal your prime colonial rival is gone, which is nice. Just take the Azores and Madeira first and you're pretty much there. As for your income, I'd be tempted to just sit on the gold for now, and use it to build buildings later. You could pick up a better diplomatic or military advisor now if you're worried about your progress in either area, but it's not really required.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Deterministic means easier to balance, means easier to assure historical outcomes. As a railroader, I like this.

Deterministic means boring. Boring means I'm going to play the game less. If you want railroaded outcomes, why not just flip through a historical atlas and achieve the same effect?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DStecks posted:

Deterministic means boring. Boring means I'm going to play the game less. If you want railroaded outcomes, why not just flip through a historical atlas and achieve the same effect?

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there needs to be a balance between historicity & ... non-historicity, I suppose... in EU4's design. Nor is it unreasonable to suggest that being able to borrow other nations' colonization capability fell on the wrong side of that line. (Though it does make naval basing rights pretty overpriced, I think.)

The word 'deterministic' is perhaps needlessly inflammatory, in context.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DStecks posted:

Because I don't want completely predestined outcomes. My one big complaint is that we basically never see the way things played out in real life, play out in the game. Things should look kind of like they do in our world, at least some of the time, hopefully without relying on (what I've heard described as, I haven't played it) hamfisted events EU2 style. Within that, there can be lots of variation.

I honestly feel like EU4 is sort of unintentionally railroaded towards a non-historic outcome anyway; player influence aside, most endgames seem to come out pretty similarly.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Because I don't want completely predestined outcomes. My one big complaint is that we basically never see the way things played out in real life, play out in the game. Things should look kind of like they do in our world, at least some of the time, hopefully without relying on (what I've heard described as, I haven't played it) hamfisted events EU2 style. Within that, there can be lots of variation.

I honestly feel like EU4 is sort of unintentionally railroaded towards a non-historic outcome anyway; player influence aside, most endgames seem to come out pretty similarly.

When you phrase it that way, I can sympathize completely. Not sure why you'd refer to yourself as a railroader when it seems that what you really want is a better simulation.

EU4's biggest design failing, in my opinion, is what a kludged together mess of systems it is. There's whole new systems like trade, systems stuck around from when EU was a board game, missions lifted directly from EU3, etc. Some of it is clearly game-y systems, some of it is more simulation-y, all of it stapled together.

It reminds me of when I was a software developer for a trucking company, working on their database systems that were older than me. Just a mess of code from different eras, held together under an "if it ain't broke" ethos. Except EU4 isn't an update to EU3, it's a full-fledged sequel in a whole new engine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this has always been a thing with Paradox games - the dynamics are always unintentionally biased toward a particular set of outcomes, and while the specifics shift with patches and expansions (DLCs, now) it is rarely the case that the game tends toward historicity. Austriasnake in Divine Wind comes to mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DStecks posted:

When you phrase it that way, I can sympathize completely. Not sure why you'd refer to yourself as a railroader when it seems that what you really want is a better simulation.

EU4's biggest design failing, in my opinion, is what a kludged together mess of systems it is. There's whole new systems like trade, systems stuck around from when EU was a board game, missions lifted directly from EU3, etc. Some of it is clearly game-y systems, some of it is more simulation-y, all of it stapled together.

It reminds me of when I was a software developer for a trucking company, working on their database systems that were older than me. Just a mess of code from different eras, held together under an "if it ain't broke" ethos. Except EU4 isn't an update to EU3, it's a full-fledged sequel in a whole new engine.

I just think it's a funny word term to use. And I probably prefer a more historical outcome than most.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno, given that you're a mega Great Britain that has conquered France, apparently some of Aragon(?) and is now aggressively expanding on the border of the HRE, I think your neighbors are probably right to be worried. :ohdear:

They don't have reason to worry though, all I want to do is protect those loveable scamps from Austria! Ok, so maybe I want to annex the Low Countries and possibly Italy as well, but that's just a tiny chunk right?

Also, I prefer the term 'Emperor of Western Europe, Africa and the Americas, King of England, Scotland, France, Aragon, Castille, Leon, Portugal, High King of Ireland, Lord of the Isles, High Chief of North Africa and Mansu Musa of Mali DOTF. :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm playing as Japan and want to cancel the annexation of one of my vassals because they got too big. The option is greyed out for some reason, but I'm not sure why. Is this a bug? Generally been noticing some strange things going on in this game.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
So this new patch had all my allies leaving the alliance within in seconds of loading my game... followed by all of Europe crushing me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I'm playing as Japan and want to cancel the annexation of one of my vassals because they got too big. The option is greyed out for some reason, but I'm not sure why. Is this a bug? Generally been noticing some strange things going on in this game.

? Why do you want to stop annexing a powerful vassal? As for canceling being greyed out, maybe you/they are at war with someone? Grasping at straws here admittedly

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

de_dust posted:

So this new patch had all my allies leaving the alliance within in seconds of loading my game... followed by all of Europe crushing me.

You might have run into problems with the new "can't have multiple GP allies" which is a pretty good idea in theory but appears to be buggy as gently caress and very inconsistent even when WAD due to nations temporarily moving up the score list and breaking your alliance with a real GP like France or Russia.

double nine posted:

? Why do you want to stop annexing a powerful vassal? As for canceling being greyed out, maybe you/they are at war with someone? Grasping at straws here admittedly

You get a penalty to annexing a vassal with more provinces than you which can potentially make it take forever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel that the "Great Power alliances" thing was added too early, especially since Wealth of Nations is supposed to be adding actual Great Power mechanics to the game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Updated EG for 1.5, there were some text errors. Everything should be compatible and fine.

I also added National Ideas for Zoroastrian Persia thanks to goon Sammvt.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Shoot, I forgot to opt out of the update and now my Ironman Austria save just crashes as soon as it finishes loading.. I was doing so well too :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

double nine posted:

Because they were so much bigger than me that annexation was advancing at a negative rate. For some reason I was unable to cancel the process, even when it reached 0%. Really annoying as I could have used that diplomat.

I wasn't really feeling that game anyway. Was playing as Japan, but I only managed to diplo-annex one of my vassals in half a century. All the others were either swallowed or became too big before the annexation process finished up. On top of that, there seemed to be a bunch of little annoyances and bugs all throughout the game. Haven't played in a few months so there must have been a bunch of patches, maybe that's why it feels a little off to me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Because they were so much bigger than me that annexation was advancing at a negative rate. For some reason I was unable to cancel the process, even when it reached 0%. Really annoying as I could have used that diplomat.

I wasn't really feeling that game anyway. Was playing as Japan, but I only managed to diplo-annex one of my vassals in half a century. All the others were either swallowed or became too big before the annexation process finished up. On top of that, there seemed to be a bunch of little annoyances and bugs all throughout the game. Haven't played in a few months so there must have been a bunch of patches, maybe that's why it feels a little off to me.

I never even knew it could go negative :mindblown:

If you want to play as japan, i advise playing as a daimyo. More satisfying to claw your way to the top as an underdog, and less likely to run into this sort of thing when you attack+annex the Shogun when you already have 9 provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RabidWeasel posted:

You might have run into problems with the new "can't have multiple GP allies" which is a pretty good idea in theory but appears to be buggy as gently caress and very inconsistent even when WAD due to nations temporarily moving up the score list and breaking your alliance with a real GP like France or Russia.

Yeah, this seems like the case as I had the UK, Poland and Lithuania as allies. Oh well, RIP sorta powerful Hansa.

• Locked thread