Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

His 2P was 9F startup before, so 5F startup would be a huge improvement!

Keep in mind also that Potemkin got a lot of good get-in tools in this game too. Hammerfall can be YRCed any time now, so you can use that to save you from eating extra hits, and presumably buffer one into another so you can tank through multiple hits and cover a ton of distance. ICPM YRC is basically giving him an airdash for 25% meter now, I'm also wondering about the TK potentially of that which might be really good. Slide Head and Heat YRC (edit: actually not sure Heat has a YRC now that I think about it) are both also really good tools to have that will give him more safe options to play with. He's going to be pretty meter hungry for sure, but he still builds meter very fast so it shouldn't be too bad.

And yeah, 6K has a ton of potential, especially once people start playing with 6K -> Hammerfall more. We also still don't know anything about his flame pillar special at all.

I must say that Hammerfall charge looks much shorter now and even if FAB is a magician, those HFBs are way faster than +R pote.

Also, weren't YRCs the ones that took away 50% instead of the purple breaks that are supposed to be 25%? Maybe I'm getting them mixed up, but I think the YRCs are supposed to be old RC and PRC are the old FRCs.

Apparently he can do old Reload combos like 6HS > 623HS in open ground too. Pote buster hasn't got a FRC window anymore, but apparently you can RC is at anytime. Anything out of block stun or hit stun apparently doesn't grant a FRC window from what I've heard. Free slidehead pickups and corner potebuster combos are prob not gonna be back, but he builds meter fast enough to burn em later on.

The flame pillar special looks to have a bit of a start up, so I got no idea what it's applications are. Could be a reversal, could be a charge. Could be anything, really.

Krakhan posted:

Actually, #Reload Faust to Xrd was the seemless transition, not counting his new move and new items. Although his main game plan has been the same since XX (and has always been solid and strong), he's not the same character from +R, since his gattles and combo options in +R allowed him to do a lot more than compared to #Reload. This is especially because of him no longer having access his godly force breaks.

From watching all of the Faust footage, I wonder why Arc Sys thought he needed a better f.S and 2H button, since they were already solid before. It's like they took away his big weakness of his slow recovering normals on whiff in Xrd. With YRCing whiffed normals, he's quite a monster. The most abusive one I've seen is 5D YRC for the strike invincibility, and then react with whatever.

If history is anything to go by, he'll probably continue to be a good character since his gameplan is fundamentally solid to begin with.

I'm just happy they didn't give him the Reload Pogo FRC because that think was fyaked and the person who came up with that should have their fingernails removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

uncleKitchener posted:

I must say that Hammerfall charge looks much shorter now and even if FAB is a magician, those HFBs are way faster than +R pote.

Also, weren't YRCs the ones that took away 50% instead of the purple breaks that are supposed to be 25%? Maybe I'm getting them mixed up, but I think the YRCs are supposed to be old RC and PRC are the old FRCs.

Apparently he can do old Reload combos like 6HS > 623HS in open ground too. Pote buster hasn't got a FRC window anymore, but apparently you can RC is at anytime. Anything out of block stun or hit stun apparently doesn't grant a FRC window from what I've heard. Free slidehead pickups and corner potebuster combos are prob not gonna be back, but he builds meter fast enough to burn em later on.

The flame pillar special looks to have a bit of a start up, so I got no idea what it's applications are. Could be a reversal, could be a charge. Could be anything, really.

Hammerfall looks about the same to me as before. Charge time was always super short (30F) and so was the minimum time to break (16F total).

YRCs are the ones that cancel startup, they cost 25% meter, and give the most slowtime. Purple RCs are when you cancel on wiff or otherwise during recovery, they cost 50% and give basically no time slow. Red RCs are as before except can also be done on projectile hit now, they cost 50% and give a medium amount of slow time.

Canceling into stuff doesn't seem to effect YRC options. You can do for example, 5H Megafist YRC on block. There are no combos off slidehead without meter, but yes you can still combo off corner PB for free. Edit: Unless you meant, you can't YRC stuff on hit/block, in which case yes you are right AFAIK, you'll get Red RC there instead.

Flame pillar might have applications as a preemptive AA poke (as the recovery looks pretty good), or maybe it will do something for combos. Pretty hard to say, still haven't seen anyone messing with it yet.

Also Bedman got an infinite fly glitch, so I guess we got our first bug of the game already.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 23, 2014

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm just happy they didn't give him the Reload Pogo FRC because that think was fyaked and the person who came up with that should have their fingernails removed.

That was XX, but ya it was overall a good thing that it got removed there. Nowhere near as bad as Eddie's S drill FRC though, oy.

What I think was worse about Faust in XX was his f.S > 2D and 2H > 2D gattles he had. With a really fast and far reaching f.S, it was quite dumb how you could get easy knock downs.

In general though, vanilla XX seemed to be really crazy fun, but rather borked.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I for one hope that despite the return to old school they didn't keep the thing where Chipp takes a guaranteed Pot Buster if he uses a normal grab on Pot

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Endorph posted:

The local arcade had a movelist for MVC1 taped to the side of the cabinet, but it didn't have official move names and I think it was typed by somebody who had never played a video game in their life.

It called Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken 'Kamehameha'

Hahaha was this in Mexico or at least a Latino area?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So, GGXrd boards send their matchup results to a central database so you can see the whole country's data update in real time.

http://ggxrd.com/pg/diagram_view.php

The way it's set up is each matchup is 5:5 to start, then everyone's side of the matchup is added up. 13 characters means a character's default score is 60.

Zato's score is loving 70.9, with his worst matchups being 5.5:4.5. Millia is rock bottom at 49, with nearly half her matchups being worse than 4:6. :laffo: Haha holy poo poo this is insane.

I'm sure that new technology coming out will shake things up again from week 1, but god drat this paints a pretty grim picture.

e: Also there's an official movelist here and a game systems breakdown page here if you can read Japanese.

vvv She lost a lot of her good options including her combo off of grab and her basic tandem+hair car FRC thing pressure setup. Decreased air hitstun also makes it harder for her to get damage + knockdown off of the combos she does get.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 24, 2014

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I've been expecting Zato to be top tier since his reveal. Pet characters always dominate arcsys games. I'm not sure why Millia would be so low tho, she seemed like she has very solid mixup, pressure, and oki.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

So, GGXrd boards send their matchup results to a central database so you can see the whole country's data update in real time.

The way it's set up is each matchup is 5:5 to start, then everyone's side of the matchup is added up. 13 characters means a character's default score is 60.

Zato's score is loving 70.9, with his worst matchups being 5.5:4.5. Millia is rock bottom at 49, with nearly half her matchups being worse than 4:6. :laffo: Haha holy poo poo this is insane.

I'm sure that new technology coming out will shake things up again from week 1, but god drat this paints a pretty grim picture.

Well, as you said, it's week one and the stupidest things are considered OP in week one. See: Sentinel, Marvel 3.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

AnonSpore posted:

e: Also there's an official movelist here and a game systems breakdown page here if you can read Japanese.

vvv She lost a lot of her good options including her combo off of grab and her basic tandem+hair car FRC thing pressure setup. Decreased air hitstun also makes it harder for her to get damage + knockdown off of the combos she does get.

Even if it's accurate they're obviously going to do patches anyway so who cares

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Week 1 stuff aside, I totally expect Zato to dominate this game again, he's basically got everything he'd need to do it as usual. Short/Far drill YRCs, unblockable setups into huge loving damage, faster shadow movement, etc. The only big hits I can see he took are 6K being slow as hell now, having a lovely airdash again, and shadow S being kinda so-so now.

I dunno about Millia in general but her new super looks like it has potential to be super duper stupid. Delayed hit projectiles that spawn any time you dash? Saw her setup what looked like a solid lockdown pressure string with it already, I can definitely see it being incredibly dangerous once people start figuring out how to put it together with proper mixups and combos.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Not sure if the ArcSys police will remove this, but the story mode is getting released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLg-H8Nfl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHIupI9o9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xM7kz2O-jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK7pUbqwanM

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 24, 2014

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Does Xrd use 3-D models, or sprites? (Or both?) I can't tell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dias posted:

Well, as you said, it's week one and the stupidest things are considered OP in week one. See: Sentinel, Marvel 3.

To be fair, he was nerfed in health to be one of the lowest.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I want to buy this game just so I can inevitably answer this question a few times. The character models are all in 3d, but cel-shaded.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Prowler posted:

I want to buy this game just so I can inevitably answer this question a few times. The character models are all in 3d, but cel-shaded.

That's what I thought, and :

Holy poo poo that's crazy. Based off of the 480p videos I've watched, the characters basically look like higher-res versions of the old sprites, so I figured they were using sprites for gameplay, 3D models for cinematics.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

It's actually quite fascinating, because it's a very interesting variant of "both". They use 3D models but the models are rendered to offscreen textures which are then used as sprites, composited in layers (so there's nothing like a knee clipping into the opponent's like in SF4). That's part of what gives them that extra spritey feeling. Realtime prerendered sprites, basically. Donkey Kong Country uses the same trick. When the camera rotates though (for ends of round and cutscenes and some special attacks) the game does switch to more standard 3D drawing though.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 24, 2014

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Chev posted:

It's actually quite fascinating, because it's a very interesting variant of "both". They use 3D models but the models are rendered to offscreen textures which are then used as sprites, composited in layers (so there's nothing like a knee clipping into the opponent's like in SF4). That's part of what gives them that extra spritey feeling. Realtime prerendered sprites, basically. Donkey Kong Country uses the same trick. When the camera rotates though (for ends of round and cutscenes and some special attacks) the game actually switches to more standard 3D drawing though.

This is badass. Is there more info somewhere?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Probably not on Xrd, but I'll see if I can find the thread (on neogaf IIRC) where the Donkey Kong tech was analysed. For Arcsys it was probably a logical step, since they were already animating their characters in 3D on Blazblue and P4A, prerendering them and reworking them to make sprites. They basically removed a few steps and streamlined the process.

In the meanwhile this link has been making the rounds, Arcsys' current job offers for artists and animators. You can see a few wireframes for both Blazblue and Xrd models: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/official/company/3djob/index_3djob.html

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
What I find absolutely amazing about Xrd is just how they got stuff like Eddie and Millia's hair to work... there's so much shape variance. There must have been so much extra work in there where Capcom would have been like "lol just do something lazy".

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Chev posted:

It's actually quite fascinating, because it's a very interesting variant of "both". They use 3D models but the models are rendered to offscreen textures which are then used as sprites, composited in layers (so there's nothing like a knee clipping into the opponent's like in SF4). That's part of what gives them that extra spritey feeling. Realtime prerendered sprites, basically. Donkey Kong Country uses the same trick. When the camera rotates though (for ends of round and cutscenes and some special attacks) the game does switch to more standard 3D drawing though.

I'd wondered how they'd got the models to not clip - I've been asking programmer friends if there's any kind of solution to that ever since SF4 came out cause I always thought it looked like poo poo. The other things I noticed are the animation being a lot more 'jerky' than 3D animation tends to be (it looks just like 2D animation done with a limited number of frames, rather than stuff moving every frame like in every other 2.5D game) which sounds like a negative but actually makes things a lot clearer to look at and more impactful seeming, and motion blur actually being modeled rather than using crappy 2D effects like SF4 does.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 25, 2014

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Rendering to sprites is sort of a double-edged sword though. Here it works because the camera direction stays perpendicular to the fight area. Give it more freedom and it falls apart because things don't overlap when they should (which is why they switch to a standard 3d approach when doing the swirly moves). There also are a few things that do overlap even in 2D mode, like Potemkin's fist closest to the viewer, so in some cases they have multi-layered sprites.

Also yeah, that's only part of the effect. As you said there's the fact they animated it frame by frame as they'd have done sprites, with no tweening, there's the alternate meshes Lou begas Mustache mentioned, and not just Milia and Eddie, there's tons more like all the crazy faces May's making or her flailing arms, faust's whirlwinds. There's also the solid trails for fast attacks and more subtle deformations (Sol's sword bends when moving fast). Shadows and perspective also seem to always be local to the "sprite" (ie a character will look exactly the same on each edge on the screen, even though the vanishing point being at the center of the screen should change that), and they even really mirror the "sprites" depending on their side, even though the technique to mirror the pose without mirroring the mesh is well understood and used in games like SF4. And it's not just laziness because they do keep the various on-character texts in the right direction on mirrored meshes.

So yeah, there's a lot of subtle tweaking and crazy work that went into making the game feel like it's really using sprites.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 25, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Chev these are some cool posts thank you for posting them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's all pretty crazy because they go through all the effort of 2D art combined with all the effort of 3D art with none of the time-saving shortcuts that either method offers, all to make a very pretty game.

Honestly, though, they should have just made HD sprites because the camera movements for things like dusts are tacky (and the supers take way too long because they go out of their way to make them cinematic).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
There are a few reasonable reasons for doing it the way they did. One is memory: HD sprites gobble it up like there's no tomorrow and Arcsys' sprite compression has always been terrible (ie nonexistent most of the time. Of course with a clever programmer you can go magnitudes higher, as observable in Skullgirls which has higher resolution sprites, more frames, more colors for more in-fight characters than BB, but Skullgirls' compression is really technically miles above most 2D games). Even with the model variants, animated 3D is much more compact, and its size doesn't increase with sprite resolution. And since you render the sprites in real time you only need texture buffers for the sprites currently on-screen rather than all sprites for the present fighters.

That also makes them future-proof in the sense that if they want to make a 4K version of Xrd, it's really just a matter of setting the screen's resolution higher and doing nothing else. Your sprites essentially are infinite resolution.

And then there are the costumes: with a 3D model it suddenly becomes trivial to sell a myriad DLC costumes for each character as model and animations can be swapped independently as long as they share the same skeleton. This will also allow them to easily upgrade characters' looks for sequels, and even already has some in-game uses like Sol's dragon install (which can now be a separate model instead of a palette swap) or Ky's ponytail coming undone.

So while there's a lot of work in setting this up (thus why we're getting "only" a dozen characters) in the long run it'll benefit them a lot.

Several of the inconveniences from this workflow they already had anyway, since their sprites were rendered models already in BB and P4A. Animating models frame by frame may seem weird for people from other companies but Arcsys' been doing it for years.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Chev posted:

we're getting "only" a dozen characters

Man, I am loving this game more and more.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Here's some combos people have come up with for Sol in Xrd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve_7OZZYf4g

And also on that note, a nice +R combo video for Sol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J5acYfyczc

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chev posted:

Several of the inconveniences from this workflow they already had anyway, since their sprites were rendered models already in BB and P4A. Animating models frame by frame may seem weird for people from other companies but Arcsys' been doing it for years.

You make a really good point about compression! I remember looking into that poo poo during BBCT and being rather appalled at how ASW was storing their poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, Sega's going to do a big VF5 tournament with cash prizes.

quote:

SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that it will once again host a Virtua Fighter™5 Final Showdown Tournament this year, continuing its partnership with Alex Valle and Level|Up. The 2014 “SEGA CUP” tournament will take place in Los Angeles at the Super Arcade on April 26, 2014. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top 16 players. Once again, the version for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will be used for the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRamdVn9zU

Any of you on LA or whereabouts should consider giving it a go.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

How will they distribute the cash prizes if they don't reach 16 participants

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENFVKK2?tag=viglink124320-20

Aquapazza for PS3 on sale for 19.99 on Amazon- physical and digital code.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! PS3/Vita port was finally announced, for a March 29th release.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/arcana-heart-3-love-max-arriving-on-playstation-3-playstation-vita-in-japan-on-march-29/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Armor-Piercing posted:

How will they distribute the cash prizes if they don't reach 16 participants

This is the third Sega Cup they've done, and the second one still did okay. VF dudes make a point of showing up, I guess. Maybe Sega fill fly Fuudo over again.

Then again, isn't Super Arcade on the brink of death? Will it even still be open by then?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

taser rates posted:

Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! PS3/Vita port was finally announced, for a March 29th release.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/arcana-heart-3-love-max-arriving-on-playstation-3-playstation-vita-in-japan-on-march-29/

gently caress. Yes.

Thanks for the region free system, Sony!

Edit: Dang it, it says May not March! How dare you get me more excited than necessary!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Thanks for the region free system, Sony!

Edit: Dang it, it says May not March! How dare you get me more excited than necessary!

Haha, my bad, the url says March 29th though in my defense, which apparently rendered me unable to read more.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

At first I was like, "Wow, you're more excited than most people are," then I realized the title of the game actually has five exclamation points.

What's different about LOVE MAX!!!!! from the AH3 that's been out for a while already?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

At first I was like, "Wow, you're more excited than most people are," then I realized the title of the game actually has five exclamation points.

What's different about LOVE MAX!!!!! from the AH3 that's been out for a while already?
nothing big like new characters or anything, just extensive rebalancing with a few new moves.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
So has anybody figured out the conditions for triggering Danger Time in Xrd yet? Is it just random?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

getitoffgetitoff posted:

So has anybody figured out the conditions for triggering Danger Time in Xrd yet? Is it just random?
I thought it happened when two heavy moves clashed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Can't ever forget the !!!!!

Nothing too big system-wise. If you're familiar with the basic AH3 system, they turned neutral EF activation into a universal reversal (Arcana Blast), and they added a new type of super for each Arcana (Eclipse) which you can only use during EF which immediately empties your EF gauge. They also got rid of the 2F suki glitch, meaning no more unblockable resets. There are quite a few changes to character and arcana balance though, the biggest being that Zenia is now one of the best chars in the game.

If you want to watch match videos, hit up the homingcanceldotcom youtube account. While I'm at it, I'll also pimp SugoiDB, which gives timestamped links to match videos by player/character/arcana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

may contain peanuts posted:

I thought it happened when two heavy moves clashed.

I thought so too but it's actually not, I've seen it trigger off jabs and such before. Don't think anyone is sure quite yet what the requirements are.

• Locked thread