Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I've yet to see a single one of those ecard things that was actually funny. People share them on Facebook all the time and the most they've ever gotten out of me was a "meh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ambitious Spider posted:

with the comment "sad, but true".

I wonder how people think those lousy poors are supposed to GET A JOB!! without a cell phone to schedule interviews, but oh well

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I wonder how people think those lousy poors are supposed to GET A JOB!! without a cell phone to schedule interviews, but oh well

Don't you know? The second you go on welfare you are legally required to sell all of your material possessions, burn that money, and live in the gutter until you can bootstrap yourself back to being normal!

If you don't do that, you are a lazy welfare Queen looking for a handout.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nikaer Drekin posted:

A quick google search shows that wal-mart sells (or did as of november 13) the iphone 5 for 30 bucks with a contract.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/phmPV9J.png:nws:

Seems legit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

A quick google search shows that wal-mart sells (or did as of november 13) the iphone 5 for 30 bucks with a contract.

Not to mention that often as not it's probably an older model and those people just can't tell the difference, assuming that naturally it must the be the most expensive option. But yeah, having a smart-phone is probably the cheaptest way to have regular access to phone, email and internet, all of which are borderline essential to finding jobs nowadays.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Oh hey, the free xbox people got ahold of it! Surely legit.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Perestroika posted:

Not to mention that often as not it's probably an older model and those people just can't tell the difference, assuming that naturally it must the be the most expensive option. But yeah, having a smart-phone is probably the cheaptest way to have regular access to phone, email and internet, all of which are borderline essential to finding jobs nowadays.

Depending on your preferences and lifestyle, you could easily buy a phone through (e.g.) Ting and have a fairly low monthly rate, too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Plus there's an entire segment of business that revolves around throwing expensive poo poo at underprivileged people with usury-style payment plans. Just because you have a $2000 TV doesn't mean you have $2000 around, you might have just agreed to pay $5000 over 8 years for the drat TV.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

I get to hear all about my cousin and her neglected husband over Facebook. She's 30, they have 2 kids.

Her next post was a picture of him and one of their kids with a caption that just said "here".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

razz posted:

I get to hear all about my cousin and her neglected husband over Facebook. She's 30, they have 2 kids.

Her next post was a picture of him and one of their kids with a caption that just said "here".

Ugh, what the gently caress? What happened to not airing dirty laundry in public?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

razz posted:

Ugh. That's horrible. He somewhat has a point, although he might also be a needy, jealous bitch. Either way, he should have been a bit more masculine and discrete there.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Zero Star posted:

It's not often that I get MRAs turning up in my part of the world.

*a huge wall of Facebook text*

Red is my friend Jess. Black is a guy she went on a (bad) date with years ago, and a former co-worker of mine. I'm blue, and the rest are Jess's friends.
UPDATE: Black got so pissed off that nobody backed him up in this argument, that he defriended and blocked Red.

:laugh:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nikaer Drekin posted:

They honestly believe cellphones are a luxury.

Not sure about younger people, but a lot of the baby boomers I've met through my family don't realize that you can't just walk into a grocery store and get a job with your can-do attitude. Online application? What's that?

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Feb 23, 2014

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

nippythefish posted:

Ugh. That's horrible. He somewhat has a point, although he might also be a needy, jealous bitch. Either way, he should have been a bit more masculine and discrete there.

I have no idea about their relationship, they live on the other side of the country. I'd say she is pretty "spoiled" though. Last time I visited her part of the family (maybe 3 years ago) she really didn't even talk to me or acknowledge that I was there, and we were best friends as kids.

Previous statuses over the past month include "Screw Valentine's Day, I'm done trying!" and "It's getting really old how nobody ever thinks of me..."

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

razz posted:

I have no idea about their relationship, they live on the other side of the country. I'd say she is pretty "spoiled" though. Last time I visited her part of the family (maybe 3 years ago) she really didn't even talk to me or acknowledge that I was there, and we were best friends as kids.

Previous statuses over the past month include "Screw Valentine's Day, I'm done trying!" and "It's getting really old how nobody ever thinks of me..."

Joe! You're within shouting distance of your wife. Why are you emptying your purse on Facebook?

:psyduck:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Elderbean posted:

They honestly believe cellphones are a luxury.

Not sure about younger people, but a lot of the baby boomers I've met through my family don't realize that you can't just walk into a grocery store and get a job with your can-do attitude. Online application? What's that?

My family just flatly cannot understand how I've ever had any trouble getting a job. And it isn't just the usual "oh, you're family so we think you're better than you are" thing either. Near as I can figure it used to be that you just went into a store and started sorting shelves and they'd cut you a paycheck at the end of the week for time served, or something.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
These days you can't work in retail without a resume and references.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

karl fungus posted:

These days you can't work in retail without a resume and references.

And 2 years experience, there's no such thing as an entry level job anymore, every job requires a minimum of 2 years experience no matter what it is.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, when I tried finding temp work as a college student the answer was always "All applications are online." and there was nothing to differentiate yourself from the other 50 people who were applying online.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Rudager posted:

And 2 years experience, there's no such thing as an entry level job anymore, every job requires a minimum of 2 years experience no matter what it is.

I'm lucky enough to have just graduated with two years of research experience in biology, as well as an internship that I'm grateful I managed to get. Even then, it's still been really hard to find a job. It was impossible even before I graduated.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Neither of my parents really went to post-secondary and yet they have pretty decent jobs. It makes it very hard for them to understand why I'm constantly floundering with poo poo casual/part-time jobs and heading back to college for a second go this fall. (I say they didn't really go because my dad didn't go at all and my mom's career is unrelated to what she did go for.)

Things just changed really drastically in the last couple of decades, that's all I can tell them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

I'm sorry about your friends. Time to put 'em down.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
IDK, people can call themselves gamers just like they call themselves audiophiles but once the former starts raging about how console x displays 1000 less pixels than console y and the latter spergs about how $200 wire x has better sound atoms than $50 wire y they are both shitheads. Of course, both things are hobbies and comparing them to "female" or "homosexual" identifiers is bunk.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

1814? That's not a real proud year for the American military spirit.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What America needs is more wars.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Byzantine posted:

1814? That's not a real proud year for the American military spirit.

It sure was for Canada, though.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I don't need some loving bird getting on my case! Get back on the endangered species list!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't see how 1814 has anything at all to do with Canada.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Holy poo poo a talking bird!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have never seen my fellow Canadians freak the gently caress out about hockey so much in my life as yesterday. I've scrolled through pages and pages and pages of:

1. HOCKEY RULES!
2. CANADA RULES!
3. Cell phone shots of the game on TV
4. Cell phone shots of beer
5. LOL SWEDEN
6. LOL USA
7. Selfies with maple leafs and hockey sticks painted on faces, wearing as much red as humanly possible
8. Maple leaf/hockey profile pics
9. Maple Leaf/hockey cover photos
10. Bragging about going to the bar at 5:30 a.m. to watch the game

Bonus round was uploading all the cell pics then sharing the same photos again through their joint instagram account.

Everyone I know. Absolutely everyone did this. I was flying home from a vacation at the time, and the pilot kept announcing the game on the plane. We are literally insane when it comes to hockey.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Macaluso posted:

Holy poo poo a talking bird!

He's so angry! :gonk:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Taxation without representation is totally the same thing as a tax raise guys.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This really might be a good reason to find out why masculinity and those situations cause such problems with suicide.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parkingtigers posted:

Please be real, please be real, please be real, please be real...

When I was a kid I had friend who's guinea pig died one afterrnoon, so we tried to cremate it in the charcoal grill at the park by our house. All we ended up doing was signing the hair off and roasting it's corpse for about 15 minutes, so we tried to flush it down the toilet. it didn't work and we ran home. I always wondered what the next person to use that stall thought when they saw a charbroiled guinea pig corpse floating in the toilet.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I'm just trying to imagine how men dying in industrial accidents could be caused by large-scale sexism against males.

"Ehh, you know, I would replace that faulty machinery, but the workers are dudes, they should be able to handle a few explosions and shrapnel."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Strange way of signifying 7% too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

I'm just trying to imagine how men dying in industrial accidents could be caused by large-scale sexism against males.

"Ehh, you know, I would replace that faulty machinery, but the workers are dudes, they should be able to handle a few explosions and shrapnel."

Men are the expendable gender.

• Locked thread