Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly though it's kinda funny that "oh no bathrooms" stuff comes up so often from conservatives. There are people who will sit there with a serious face and actually say it's important that changing ID remains hard for trans people because otherwise some guy's gonna do it just to get access to the women's bathroom to rape people... as if you ever needed to show ID to just enter a bathroom, or as if the hypothetical rapist is somehow ok with raping people but wouldn't ever enter another bathroom to do it if he hasn't changed ID first.

At least conservatives have mostly stopped complaining that gay men are in their bathrooms just waiting to gay at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I had not known something was going down in FL

I know it's being used for hateful things, but I can't help but love the phrase "judicially impose homosexual marriage upon all Floridians."

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Install Windows posted:

Honestly though it's kinda funny that "oh no bathrooms" stuff comes up so often from conservatives. There are people who will sit there with a serious face and actually say it's important that changing ID remains hard for trans people because otherwise some guy's gonna do it just to get access to the women's bathroom to rape people... as if you ever needed to show ID to just enter a bathroom, or as if the hypothetical rapist is somehow ok with raping people but wouldn't ever enter another bathroom to do it if he hasn't changed ID first.

At least conservatives have mostly stopped complaining that gay men are in their bathrooms just waiting to gay at them.

I remember when in the 80's and 90's when the Equal Rights Ammendment was trying to go through. The biggest argument I remember is that "If ERA is passed then perverts will enter all our bathrooms and rapes will skyrocket". It's the same drat thing 25-30 years later! Now only replace ERA with Trans rights. It's amazing that on one hand you can see how much has changed in public oppinon and how little it really has when stupid crap like this still pops up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Install Windows posted:

Honestly it seems to mostly stem from the opponents not realizing how *serious* a trans person takes this. It's not like changing your T-shirt to go out for the night, you're not changing gender on a whim. It's a serious, emotional thing.

But they just view it as a fun little frivolity that someone might do for attention or because they were bored. Because they're dumb

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that Brewer's entertaining a veto. My opinion on Arizona law amounts to bupkis, but in my barely-thought-this-through scenario, Arizona going full-on batshit insane was going to spur progress everywhere else.

Is there any possible positive from Arizona enacting this? I was reading somewhere that it might push one of the federal supreme court judges over into the marriage equality camp.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ruling is in in Texas. Ban is struck down. Haven't read opinion yet-- presume it's stayed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sefer posted:

I know it's being used for hateful things, but I can't help but love the phrase "judicially impose homosexual marriage upon all Floridians."

"Oh my God, a judge is going to force you to get gay married? That's horrible!"
"Well, no."
"So...then how is gay marriage being imposed on you?"
"Oh well you see...gay people will be getting married, and I will know that is happening!!!!!!!"

:raise:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

VitalSigns posted:

"Oh my God, a judge is going to force you to get gay married? That's horrible!"
"Well, no."
"So...then how is gay marriage being imposed on you?"
"Oh well you see...gay people will be getting married, and I will know that is happening!!!!!!!"

:raise:

"They'll be walking down the street, holding hands! How am I supposed to explain that to my children????"

:raise: "Are you saying gays are never seen in public right now, holding hands?"

:byodood: "BUT NOW THEY'RE WEARING WEDDING RINGS"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Teddybear posted:

Ruling is in in Texas. Ban is struck down. Haven't read opinion yet-- presume it's stayed.

It is stayed according to the news I read today, but still, another one bites the dust.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

And in other news, Michigan's case is currently underway, and appeals from some county clerks are going forward in Virginia... as well as an appeal from the Virginia Attorney General's Office. Although apparently by having the AG appeal, that helps speed up the process, they still won't defend the case.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I said it many times, and it's actually going to happen. Texas is going to have legal gay marriage before Pennsylvania. I can't stop laughing.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Y'all. I'm so, so ridiculously happy right now. I'm fighting back tears in my office. I was the president of my undergrad's gay and lesbian student group when the ban was passed, and we fought so hard against it. I never, ever thought I would see this day in my lifetime.

I understand that the ruling is stayed, but this just makes me so incredibly emotional.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sweeney Tom posted:

I said it many times, and it's actually going to happen. Texas is going to have legal gay marriage before Pennsylvania. I can't stop laughing.

I don't know why that would be a surprise, Pennsylvania is the state that sent Rick Santorum to the senate twice. Apart from the urban areas, isn't the nickname Pennsultucky?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sweeney Tom posted:

I came here to post the exact same thing, except I'm fighting off the urge to just bang my head against the wall and never stop. Maybe once Corbett's gone? :sigh:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

discoukulele posted:

Y'all. I'm so, so ridiculously happy right now. I'm fighting back tears in my office. I was the president of my undergrad's gay and lesbian student group when the ban was passed, and we fought so hard against it. I never, ever thought I would see this day in my lifetime.

I understand that the ruling is stayed, but this just makes me so incredibly emotional.

Congratulations! I remember the feeling when we passed marriage equality here in Delaware, I'm sure you've got a lot of similar emotions right now down there in Texas. Here's hoping the stay is lifted soon and the ruling stands :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ha! So awesome. I was having a lovely day too but that just makes it all better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Currently, 38.23% of the US population are in states with legal gay marriage. Utah, Oklahoma, and Virginia all have stays pending appeal (which will fail), so that's another 4.74%, equaling 42.97%. With Texas now added (as of last year, about 8.25% of the US population), once all the appeals fail, 51.22% of the US population will live in states with legal marriage equality.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Right now the 'marching-orders trategy' among homophobic extreme right is to gaslight the issue of discriminating against gay people as if bigoted homophobic christians in being legally barred from making discrimination victims of gay people are somehow victims of discrimination themselves. Therefore, these draconian anti-gay laws allowing wanton discrimination against gay people (doubly malicious in states that have no discrimination protection for gay people already) are somehow justified because of vague argle blargle bibbity bobbity boo about how christians might magically be discriminated against if they can't discriminate against gay people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-OWXO7rak

Unfortunately, some of them happen to be particularly stupid at formulating coherent dishonesty about this, and pretty much expose the animus and ridiculousness of it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msXkoRp468Q

His argument is literally to say that being against the Jim Crow-like laws against gay people is like being in favor of Jim Crow laws. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0on8UHKB6k

The Anderson Cooper one is especially bad...dear lord...nothing is worse than a malicious simpleton with undeserved power over the lives of other human beings. :doh:

Ironically, there is some hope in all this - mainly because gay people have quite a lot of money to spend. So the free market is apparently now deciding that since we have quite a lot of money to spend, hey we need protection now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9t9QmqnhVA

Hey, I'll take what we can get. Even if this is cynical big business support. The schadenfreude of the crazy religious zealots being forcefully reminded who their real paymasters are is also somewhat amusing, though depressing because it's due to a larger big-money in politics issue...

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2014

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Oh man, I can't wait to see what happens when one of these cases inevitably reaches the Supreme Court.

Am I a dreamy eyed optimist for hoping they will make a sweeping ruling, putting an end to all gay marriage bans once and for all?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

richardfun posted:

Oh man, I can't wait to see what happens when one of these cases inevitably reaches the Supreme Court.

Am I a dreamy eyed optimist for hoping they will make a sweeping ruling, putting an end to all gay marriage bans once and for all?

If it's ever going to happen, it's going to be Texas. If this appeal goes to the Supreme Court, it's game over.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sweeney Tom posted:

If it's ever going to happen, it's going to be Texas. If this appeal goes to the Supreme Court, it's game over.

It'll get beat by the Utah appeal, most likely.

Which is more or less just as funny.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If I read correctly, there are 25 other states with court cases like Texas and OK so I am sure we will see even more victories.

Also reading your post ukalale made my day!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The tears

quote:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) disagrees with a federal judge's ruling that the state's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional.

"Texans spoke loud and clear by overwhelmingly voting to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman in our Constitution, and it is not the role of the federal government to overturn the will of our citizens," Perry said.

Perry shared his stance in a statement Wednesday afternoon after U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia ruled the state's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. Garcia also issued a stay on the ruling so the ban will remain in place for now.

"The 10th Amendment guarantees Texas voters the freedom to make these decisions, and this is yet another attempt to achieve via the courts what couldn’t be achieved at the ballot box. We will continue to fight for the rights of Texans to self-determine the laws of our state."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Texas Lt. Gov. candidate Dan Patrick expressed his displeasure with the ruling as well:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That is a very fortunate typo.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Is the "silent majority" either?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Sweeney Tom posted:

:aaaaa: Did not see that on the first read through. nice catch!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nybble posted:

Is the "silent majority" either?

No, on both counts.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Teddybear posted:

It'll get beat by the Utah appeal, most likely.

Which is more or less just as funny.
Yeah every time I hear our governor or somebody squeal about "traditional marriage" and "activist judges" I think to myself, "You just had to poke the loving bear, didn't you? Ha! Assholes!"

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know why that would be a surprise, Pennsylvania is the state that sent Rick Santorum to the senate twice. Apart from the urban areas, isn't the nickname Pennsultucky?

Honestly, that's every state. The decent ones have enough urban area to outvote the rural ones, but that doesn't negate that those areas still exist. I live is blue s hell Maryland, but the western part of the state and the eastern shore is a racist shitstain.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Al Melvin is a great example of the level of honesty all pro-discrimination activists operate on. They will bluntly ignore the terrible effects of the laws they are trying to pass. They're satisfied to be smug and disingenuous right up to the point of genocide, as shown by their working behind the scenes in Russia and Uganda.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My catholic friend on Facebook weighing in:

quote:

A federal moron who overstepped his authority. At least he had the decency to wait till the appeals court heard the case. This judge has no right to make this ruling

The tears are flowing in Texas, alright.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
It's almost like these judges think their job is to interpret the law or something. :shepface:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sweeney Tom posted:

My understanding is if this goes to the Supreme court it will force a ruling on suspect / Quasi suspect classification. Is the outcome a sure thing (or as close as possible)?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Wrong, that is art :allears:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Rick Perry posted:

"The 10th Amendment guarantees Texas voters the freedom to make these decisions, and this is yet another attempt to achieve via the courts what couldn’t be achieved at the ballot box. We will continue to fight for the rights of Texans to self-determine the laws of our state."

It's almost as if later Amendments, like, say the 14th, affect the scope and reach of previous ones. Crazy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

discoukulele posted:

Nice FYGM attitude you got there, buddy :rolleye:

Honestly this is what this is all about. Election Day 2004 was a bad day for me and in a lot of ways served as a brutal realization that people out there hated who I am without really knowing who I am and that there wasn't much I could do about it -- small-minded people were going to dictate a lot of choices I made in life. To see how much progress has been made in such a short amount of time... I'm figuratively speechless as I watch it unfold.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

comes along bort posted:

Texas Lt. Gov. candidate Dan Patrick expressed his displeasure with the ruling as well:

As a dirty LIEberul Texan, this is beyond comedy gold. This is outright art. :golfclap:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm figuratively speechless as I watch it unfold.

Surely you meant "literally", which means "figuratively" but, like, more emphatically.

Regardless, it does give one a renewed faith in humanity, doesn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

comes along bort posted:

The only problem with this is I think some poor intern lost his job :( https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/438780372000595968

• Locked thread