Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just got my wife a 2006 GZ250 for $1600 bux. She is going to learn all it has to teach and then we are going to sell it for not much less a few months after the MSF.

0-60 in 11.5 seconds. My FZ-1 does it in 3.something. I actually really enjoy riding the GZ250. Being that low to the ground makes it feel like you're taking corners at amazing speed. Thing is comfortable too.

I love the winter slow season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy mother of god that's almost twice as long as even my Hyosung takes. The first time she rides something with power it'll be like snorting a bag of coke instantly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's probably about the same 0-60 as my first bike, a Yamaha Exciter 250 from 1973.

Was it slow? Very yes. Did I ride the pants off of it? Also very yes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Were those pants pastel bell-bottoms? Probably.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This was in 2008, so it was most def. cargo pants. (Yes, I had a pair that zipped off at the knees).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I meant for 1973, goober. I'm hoping you didn't ride off your own pants.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Laranzu posted:

0-60 in 11.5 seconds. My FZ-1 does it in 3.something.

I don't think my KLR hits 60 any faster than that :ohdear:

Edit: Nope! Google says 6.3--apparently faster than a lot of Harleys! :sun:

I'm going to have to remember that the next time the fatass Harley guy at the Y starts razzing me about when am I going to get a "real bike" :suicide:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 26, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The first time I dragged off a guy on a huge noisy harley on my CBR400 it was like a spiritual awakening.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Safety Dance posted:

That's probably about the same 0-60 as my first bike, a Yamaha Exciter 250 from 1973.

Was it slow? Very yes. Did I ride the pants off of it? Also very yes.

I had a 1980 as a first bike, with a huge rust hole in that center resonator to boot. Lots of sound, no fury.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
In answer to Snowdens Secret's questions from a different thread about biking in Israel.

Sometimes it feels like our government just doesn't want us bikers to exist. They keep changing the laws and regulations all the time, and they manage to screw us over real good in the process.

1. Drivers license

Some 20-odd years ago, there were three bike license types. A2, A1 and A. This might sound familiar to all Europeans (excuse my ignorance if other parts of the world use the same system) but ours were cc based. A2 was up to 50cc, you can get it at 16. A1 was up to 500cc, you can get it at 18. A is over 500cc, and you can get it at 21, and at least a year after you got your A1 license. All of this changed 10-odd years ago whey they decided to go by horsepower. Now A2 is up to 15hp (or 125cc), A1 is up to 33hp, and A1 is unlimited. They try to mimic the European laws, but fail since the A2 license still has cc limitation as well as hp. Not to mention that my pretty German unlimited license wasn't good enough for Israel, so I ended up re-doing A1 and A.

2. Bike insurance

Bike insurance prices in Israel are based on your bike's displacement, in three categories. 50cc, up to 250cc, and over 250cc, which means that you would pay the same insurance rate for a SsonYongPieceOfShit 300cc scooter, and a Harley Street Glide with it's 1800-odd cc engine. 50cc insurance is way more expensive than car insurance, 250cc is insanely expensive, and over 250cc insurance translated into real money will set you back over $1400 per year, and that is only the basic, you-have-to-get-it-by-law insurance. Beside that one we also "have" to do the so called third party insurance (which is around $120 per year), and if you want comprehensive coverage, you have to dish out 10% of the worth of your bike per year (needles to say, we don't do that one)

3. Bike prices

Every motor vehicle imported to Israel is taxed 100%, and over that you pay VAT for the whole amount (our VAT is a whopping 18%). $12000 hayabusa instantly becomes a $28300 hayabusa when it lands in Israel.

4. Cops vs Bikes

Cops are usually not bastards. The center of the country where about 70% of the population resides is heavily congested, and there are a lot of bike (scooter) riders that commute to work on a daily basis. We are usually tolerated riding on the shoulder if the road is congested (I never got pulled over for riding on the shoulder). Lane splitting is only frowned upon, but legal. On the other hands, there are a lot of dead bikers because lane splitting is only frowned upon but legal.

5. Bike clubs - Israel sports a whooping one MC that is not even a real MC but a group of Russian immigrants riding anything that looks like a cruiser, drinking a lot of beer and telling each other how bad rear end they are. On the other hand there are a lot of "specialty clubs" that are out there to have a good time and do a charity ride once in a while. Biggest ones are "Suzuki Burgman club" and of course our dear Harley Riders club

That's all I can think off the top of my head. If there are any quesions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sounds like there's a hell of a market for a domestic motorcycle manufacturer in Israel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

adary posted:

Sometimes it feels like our government just doesn't want us bikers to exist. They keep changing the laws and regulations all the time, and they manage to screw us over real good in the process.

This is every country, don't worry.

adary posted:

Not to mention that my pretty German unlimited license wasn't good enough for Israel, so I ended up re-doing A1 and A.

I can't imagine this being for any reason other than :hitler:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Pretty much every one of my relatives who visited Israel has some story of no parking, pulling the old trick of parking "just to run in for a moment" in a no-parking zone with their engine running / blinkers on etc, and coming back to find their car's been towed to the middle of the desert. My grandparents managed to do it twice in one visit.

I didn't know if they did the same thing to bikes parked on sidewalks, etc. Less chance of being a VBIED, I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

adary posted:

(our VAT is a whopping 18%)

Yeah, gently caress you too. (I keed, I keed.)

Swedish VAT is 25%. :smith:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bought my bike a year ago today. Here's to many more years riding :cheers:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

adary posted:

2. Bike insurance

Bike insurance prices in Israel are based on your bike's displacement, in three categories. 50cc, up to 250cc, and over 250cc, which means that you would pay the same insurance rate for a SsonYongPieceOfShit 300cc scooter, and a Harley Street Glide with it's 1800-odd cc engine. 50cc insurance is way more expensive than car insurance, 250cc is insanely expensive, and over 250cc insurance translated into real money will set you back over $1400 per year, and that is only the basic, you-have-to-get-it-by-law insurance. Beside that one we also "have" to do the so called third party insurance (which is around $120 per year), and if you want comprehensive coverage, you have to dish out 10% of the worth of your bike per year (needles to say, we don't do that one)

Ask some Ontario riders how much they pay per year in insurance for a ~8 month riding season and immediately feel better about at least that aspect of where you live.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty much every one of my relatives who visited Israel has some story of no parking, pulling the old trick of parking "just to run in for a moment" in a no-parking zone with their engine running / blinkers on etc, and coming back to find their car's been towed to the middle of the desert. My grandparents managed to do it twice in one visit.

I didn't know if they did the same thing to bikes parked on sidewalks, etc. Less chance of being a VBIED, I guess.

Parking is not bad as long as you are not in Tel Aviv (for cars at least) We don't have much problems parking the bikes (but then I mostly ride my bike to work and back and at both spots I have a designated parking spot). There are a lot of bike parking spots, and scooters usually park all over (sidewalks and whereever) and I never saw one towed away.

It seems that it's not as grim over here as I thought based on the replies :) At least our season is 12 months since there is no real winter over here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

Ask some Ontario riders how much they pay per year in insurance for a ~8 month riding season and immediately feel better about at least that aspect of where you live.

I'll volunteer: when I lived in Ontario, three of four companies wouldn't insure me at all -- not even for liability -- because my bike was "too old." The fourth company agreed to give me liability insurance, but with no possibility of any coverage for damage to the bike itself (again, too old). The premiums were $1800 per year for minimum liability only on a 40+ year old 350cc standard producing about 30 horsepower. I've heard that if you have something that actually makes some power, it's easy to see upwards of $3,000.

I asked if I could pay less by only getting six months of insurance and just going ~ march to october, since you can't really ride the other half the year, and they said "oh, no, it's already pro-rated to take that into account. If you were able to ride year round the premiums would be much higher."

:canada:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sagebrush posted:

I'll volunteer: when I lived in Ontario, three of four companies wouldn't insure me at all -- not even for liability -- because my bike was "too old." The fourth company agreed to give me liability insurance, but with no possibility of any coverage for damage to the bike itself (again, too old). The premiums were $1800 per year for minimum liability only on a 40+ year old 350cc standard producing about 30 horsepower. I've heard that if you have something that actually makes some power, it's easy to see upwards of $3,000.

I asked if I could pay less by only getting six months of insurance and just going ~ march to october, since you can't really ride the other half the year, and they said "oh, no, it's already pro-rated to take that into account. If you were able to ride year round the premiums would be much higher."

:canada:

Holy poo poo, how would a bike being old make liability more expensive to insure? It's not like you're going to make that big of a dent when you rear-end some minivan anyways.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Holy poo poo, how would a bike being old make liability more expensive to insure? It's not like you're going to make that big of a dent when you rear-end some minivan anyways.

Because mandatory insurance means somebody has to insure you, but they probably don't want to and they certainly don't have to make it affordable.
Ontario insurance is a racket. Because you are legally required to have it (I have no problem with this btw), but it's still a private industry, it means insurance companies can and do charge as much for their products as they can get away with under the limited regulations. Instead of competition driving down price, since everyone is forced to buy from one of the licensed insurers, they don't have to compete. It also means they have to take on the high risk drivers that they might otherwise turn away, driving up their overall liability cost, or charging exorbitant amounts to what their criteria say is a high risk driver.

That's my take on it, anyway. Probably grossly misinformed and fabricated.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

Instead of competition driving down price, since everyone is forced to buy from one of the licensed insurers, they don't have to compete.

It actually became pretty clear when I was phoning around looking for insurance that the companies have a literal racket going with this in Ontario. If you have an old bike only company X will insure you, if you have a Hayabusa you can only use company Y, if you have a scooter only company Z. The people on the phone were very helpful, even saying "this is the only company that does that, we just don't." No competition for any given person, so they can set the rates wherever the gently caress they want.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
We have mandatory insurance in Sweden as well but among the multitude of problems I have with insurance companies, rackets aren't one of them. I can usually call around and play them out against each other, lowering my price just like with other services.

Tbh, it just sounds like Canadas/Ontarios competition law either sucks balls, or your competition regulator isn't doing their job.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Or it's just too small a market for companies to bother with. The more state-mandated paperwork and overhead, the larger that 'not worth the hassle' quantity gets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I finally broke down and ordered a Kriega backpack to make commuting more comfortable after ~4.5 years. Except I did it the fun way and ordered a R20, R25 and R30 because I couldn't make up my mind. I ended up keeping the R20 and sending the other two back because it fits me the best and will work for 95% of the riding I do.

Then this morning I bought a used R25 on eBay for the other 5%. I'll do a side by side volume/fit/features/etc once it arrives.

Insurance Chat: Wow insurance in other places sucks. I just put 'full coverage' on the WR250...$250 for 12 months :hellyeah: Helps that I'm 28, have a bunch of vehicles and my house through them and have a clean record/history with only a few claims (hail) several years ago.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or it's just too small a market for companies to bother with. The more state-mandated paperwork and overhead, the larger that 'not worth the hassle' quantity gets.

The market may not be that big, but the companies that serve it certainly aren't. The underwriting cost isn't going to be significantly different to other jurisdictions, so when you hear about people insuring a bike in one place for a couple of hundred $/year, when you're looking at the same number with an extra zero on the end for similar coverage (in a jurisdiction with universal health care, remember), that's a hell of an administrative cost.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Linedance posted:

:smith::hf::(

It's very ridiculous.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Insurance Chat: Wow insurance in other places sucks. I just put 'full coverage' on the WR250...$250 for 12 months :hellyeah: Helps that I'm 28, have a bunch of vehicles and my house through them and have a clean record/history with only a few claims (hail) several years ago.

What bodily injury liability amounts did you choose? This accounts for about half of my premium and I've been thinking about lowering it soon. I have 100/300 to be covered in case I injured a car full of people somehow. My insurance is up for renewal in April and I'm still unsure what is the best way to go for bodily injury liability and personal injury protection.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

$135/year for comprehensive, collision, and well above the minimum on injury/un-/underinsured amounts on my 96 Seca. :getin:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome. We have insane rates around here if you want any sort of real coverage :( even on my little Ninja.

What is the general consensus on Bodily Injury Liability? Worth it to be at 100/300 or is that overkill on a motorcycle?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

hot sauce posted:

That's awesome. We have insane rates around here if you want any sort of real coverage :( even on my little Ninja.

What is the general consensus on Bodily Injury Liability? Worth it to be at 100/300 or is that overkill on a motorcycle?

I always carry 100/300 on everything, personally. Better safe than sued v :shobon: v

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's how I do it too, but it's just wildly expensive around here. 2 years of insurance is going to come close to what I paid for the bike, and I have a clean driving record. I guess it's worth it if I happen to hit a car full of people with neck injuries.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

hot sauce posted:

That's how I do it too, but it's just wildly expensive around here. 2 years of insurance is going to come close to what I paid for the bike, and I have a clean driving record. I guess it's worth it if I happen to hit a car full of people with neck injuries.

That stinks, for my bike it's like $50/mo for full coverage and it's $11/mo for the scooter with the same coverages, minus colission, just uninsured + comprehensive.

Car, bike, scoot and renter's insurance is ~140/mo total.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I should also qualify that the minimum liability coverage in Ontario for every vehicle, car or truck or motorcycle or scooter or whatever, is a million dollars do that probably accounts for some of the additional cost.

Because you know if you crash and injure someone, it's not like they have any other way of getting the medical procedures they need, in Canada and all.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got $250,000/person and $500,000/accident bodily injury and $100,000/accident property damage liability. That includes legal defense in the event that I'm sued.

Oh and roadside assistance.

hot sauce posted:

We have insane rates even on my little Ninja.

A friend of mine got a Ninja 500 and good coverage (comprehensive, BI, etc) was well over $1000/year for him. He's only 23, which also works against him, but still. I ran all his same coverages against my bike and it was more like $400/year. It's stupid, the EX500 is smaller, slower, and less powerful than my bike with similar ergos, yet because of the Ninja name and lots of body plastic the insurance companies consider it a sport bike. Boom, double the price. I don't know if 250s are the same, but drat, the 500 is a pretty standard learner bike.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 27, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Insurance was $190 a year for my new FZ1 for 100/300 and $100 deductible comprehensive. If they only knew :getin:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Insurance was $190 a year for my new FZ1 for 100/300 and $100 deductible comprehensive. If they only knew :getin:

Where do you live?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The god of motorcycle insurance has got to be Loki or Puck or Coyote or Kokopelli or one of those assholes.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

hot sauce posted:

Where do you live?

Texas.

Edit: sorry I made a mistake, my coverage is 50/100 not 100/300. Still a 100 dollar deductible for comprehensive.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 27, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you have many vehicles and policies, it may make sense to look into lower individual limits and adding an umbrella policy.

Generally if you're not 18 and on a new GSXR the medical coverages are fairly trivial in cost compared to comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahahahaha, you'd all poo poo at what I am paying a month if you're quoting a couple hundred a year. Try >$1200/yr.