Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Craptacular! posted:

There isn't any way you can increase the damage of ability-button based attacks beyond the skill-up tiers and Agh's for your ult.

Dota's idea of +damage is auto-attack based damage, League basically lets you increase the damage of abilities so, for instance, Razor could pump more than four points into his Plasma Field and it could hit for more than 370. No matter how many items you have, no farmed you are, etc, Plasma Field can not hit for more than 370. It is impossible. This has been discussed on the PlayDota forums and chalked up to simply a technical impossibility in the WC3 engine.

You're really loving dumb, by the way. If you had more text in this post and said something about China I'd think you were JPJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Craptacular! posted:

There isn't any way you can increase the damage of ability-button based attacks beyond the skill-up tiers and Agh's for your ult.

Dota's idea of +damage is auto-attack based damage, League basically lets you increase the damage of abilities so, for instance, Razor could pump more than four points into his Plasma Field and it could hit for more than 370. No matter how many items you have, no farmed you are, etc, Plasma Field can not hit for more than 370. It is impossible. This has been discussed on the PlayDota forums and chalked up to simply a technical impossibility in the WC3 engine.

Veil, soul catcher, you're a retard, etc

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

Veil, soul catcher, you're a retard, etc

Also completely ignoring the fact that the entire point of a carry is to gather up enough farm to buff his rightclick beyond spells.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

But for some real talk, the fact that 99% of spells don't scale is cool, and good, since this allows a large variety of power curves to exist instead of "everyone literally scales the same way". This means you can balance heroes that are beastly in early/mid game because they will fall off late game (and vice-versa). This allows for a lot of cool interactions and matches can sometimes be decided through teams holding out until the power curve favors them.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Srice posted:

But for some real talk, the fact that 99% of spells don't scale is cool, and good

Uhhhhhhh no, I'm pretty sure that's why LoL is better than Dota. There's definitely no reason for it, and there definitely is not a multitude of other differences between the two games that makes this work.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Craptacular! posted:

It's almost as if it's a deliberate design decision to make heroes stronger or weaker at different points in the game!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holy hell S4, that was close :stare:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
8 kills in a 35 minute game, someone call the exterminator because there's a bunch of rats around.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Just for reference:

Magical damage amplification items/effects: Veil of Discord, Ethereal Blade/Decrepify, Ice Vortex, Natural Order, Ancient Seal.
Other damage amplification: Orchid Malevolence (magic damage only when effect ends), Penitence (physical damage, weirdly), Soul Catcher (pure damage), Flesh Golem

Further, Skywrath Mage's Arcane Bolt scales with Intelligence, so it gets better and better the later the game goes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lmao, the worst gg

"He hit a lot of creeps and then he won".

E: 0-3-0 clinkz :v:

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I could probably title that replay "Why League Is A Better Game."

Even with pro farm, there is simply no ability that can substitute for auto-attack after a certain point (about 20 minutes in tournament games, longer with your typical internet matchups.)

This is actually a good thing, as everything bad about League of Legends ('s gameplay, social issues are a different story) is an unintended consequence of making everything in the game scale dramatically with straight stat items. The tension between greatly disparate growth rates in Dota fuels the fundamental dynamics of competitive play, allows for the creation of diverse kits and playstyles, and makes it possible to frustrate the formation of a distinct, unchanging meta.

If this level of uncertainty frustrates you, or you just absolutely need to be sure that your favorite character is also a carry because playing someone who doesn't scale exponentially with stat growth is beneath you, then yes, maybe League of Legends is more up your ally. But that does not make it a "Better Game."

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

TheQat posted:

Dog is the one whose fifth member is normally Mason, right?

He was put on the roster to satisfy the 3 (NOT 3/5) North American requirements. Demon says they have a 6 Man Roster. It is what it is.

e: can you not have the same crappy scaling spells argument in the pro dota thread thank you

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Majuju posted:

Just for reference:

Magical damage amplification items/effects: Veil of Discord, Ethereal Blade/Decrepify, Ice Vortex, Natural Order, Ancient Seal.
Other damage amplification: Orchid Malevolence (magic damage only when effect ends), Penitence (physical damage, weirdly), Soul Catcher (pure damage), Flesh Golem

Further, Skywrath Mage's Arcane Bolt scales with Intelligence, so it gets better and better the later the game goes.

Don't forget Stuns, Positional Movement changes, etc.

Jesus christ that is the dumbest loving post I have read on the forums in a while.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh, I get it,. There's no real confusion or factual discrepancies here, you guys just think I have a wrong opinion.

I've been posting here for months. I kind of figured I had established myself as not a troll and that having an opinion that one game did something better than the other wouldn't cause a half-page of one sentence sarcastic replies. My apologies for not understanding your autistic sensitivities.

Srice posted:

Source your quotes, please.
I can't find the thread that said it was an engine impossibility, but it wasn't IceFrog or anything. I don't expect it to happen whether possible or not, just recalling what I read when I last looked into it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Oh, I get it,. There's no real confusion or factual discrepancies here, you guys just think I have a wrong opinion.

I've been posting here for months. I kind of figured I had established myself as not a troll and that having an opinion that one game did something better than the other wouldn't cause a half-page of one sentence sarcastic replies. My apologies for not understanding your sensitivities.

I can't find the thread that said it was an engine impossibility, but it wasn't IceFrog or anything. I don't expect it to happen whether possible or not, just recalling what I read when I last looked into it.

Well there is so much wrong here let's parse line by line.

Nobody ever said there was a factual discrepancy, you took their replies incorrectly.

You didn't post an opinion that LoL did something better than Dota. You said that it is why LoL is a better game.

Source your quotes is making fun of your ridiculously bad post, as in "please tell us the lovely rear end forum you pulled that post from because it can't possibility be an original thought from your brain." He's not asking you about the engine impossibility.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Well, you said Plasma Field could only ever hit for 370, and that's factually wrong v:shobon:v

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Majuju posted:

Just for reference:

Not to mention buying into more burst though stuff like Dagon or diversifying your damage output with pushing power and cc effects with things like Necro minions and Shiva's, plus the other scaling abilities in the game like Nyx mana burn and Pugna wards (pseduo scaling but still).

Basically if you think the game would be better by completely destroying the pacing and balancing of skills because people are crying about ":cry:my ability damage scaling:cry:" then yeah you're dumb as a rock.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Craptacular! posted:

I kind of figured I had established myself as not a troll

If you post something that factually incorrect and utterly stupid and aren't doing it to be a troll I feel bad for you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm not sure why you would think the "let's watch pro dota 2" thread is an appropriate place to threadshit with "lol is a better game" but I am 100% sure it means you should get the gently caress out.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Why are you not watching League of Legends matches instead then?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Waynebo posted:

Why are you not watching League of Legends matches instead then?

Maybe he's not a fan of eye-searing uglyness or anime?????

heh just my opinion though guys, not a troll!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

eye-searing uglyness

But Mirana and Slardar are in the game already.

But Lina's in the game already too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Yardbomb posted:

But Mirana's in the game already.

But Lina's in the game already too.

I've been posting here for months. I kind of figured I had established myself as not a troll and that having an opinion that one game did something better than the other wouldn't cause a half-page of one sentence sarcastic replies. My apologies for not understanding your sensitivities.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How the gently caress did this even start? I mean, League vs. Dota is an argument you can have, definitely not in this thread and preferably not on these forums, but it's an argument. But it came out of nowhere that because one team won, therefore League is better? Huh?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

There are few skills that do damage and nothing else. Almost every spell has a secondary effect like slows and stuns. Breathe Fire, Dragon Slave, Starfall, and Crypt Swarm are really the only spells that come to mind as just damage.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

How the gently caress did this even start? I mean, League vs. Dota is an argument you can have, definitely not in this thread and preferably not on these forums, but it's an argument. But it came out of nowhere that because one team won, therefore League is better? Huh?

Slark (supported by omniknight) got fat and killed everyone, so league is a better game.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Soul Catcher, Penitence, Veil, etc. are different than what he's saying in regards to scaling spells (things like ability power, mostly) so please don't use those as proof he's wrong. Those are debuffs and operate in completely different ways than what he's suggesting.

That being said, he is indeed completely wrong with the wc3 engine poo poo. It's possible, it's just a ton of work for something that isn't universally appealing. It's been done in YouTD and other custom maps but it's not going to happen as long as Dota 2 remains bound to wc3, similar to things like spell reflection, detecting whether damage is from a spell or attack, checking remaining cooldown time, etc.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TheRat posted:

Slark (supported by omniknight) got fat and killed everyone, so league is a better game.

Hmm. Checks out.

Welp wrap it up guys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Majuju posted:

Just for reference:

This is actually really useful info, thank you.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Maybe he's not a fan of eye-searing uglyness or anime?????

heh just my opinion though guys, not a troll!

Meat Recital posted:

How the gently caress did this even start?

This is mostly actually correct, in addition to "I don't know what the gently caress is going on most of the time."

Again, in my frustration over that Navi loss I blew my complaint out of proportion. I think that ability power has a place and it's more fun to watch a game be decided through flashy spellcasts rather than a Luna click a tower once and it and two barracks crumble moments later, but that's about the extent of my complaint. I don't have the expertise to say any game is "better".

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Craptacular! posted:

I don't have the expertise to say any game is "better".

Yet you did and were surprised when people called you the dumbest person since JPJ to post about dota.

Weird huh!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Again, in my frustration over that Navi loss

Na'vi fanboys.txt

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Again, in my frustration over that Navi loss I blew my complaint out of proportion. I think that ability power has a place and it's more fun to watch a game be decided through flashy spellcasts rather than a Luna click a tower once and it and two barracks crumble moments later, but that's about the extent of my complaint. I don't have the expertise to say any game is "better".

Luna is never in a position to right click a tower/barracks without the flashy spellcasts. Part of the reason why the post was wrong is that, in addition to the number of items that help spell damage detailed by people on this page, there is almost never a point in a match of Dota where it is just one right click to rule them all.

I say almost because yes, anyone can make up a scenario where my point might not be true. But in 99% of the games it is true.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ah, yes, Slark, that hero that is just a right-click chassi with no other skills relevant until late-game.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Craptacular! posted:

In fact there are League games going on right now! I expect a full report, minimum 5 pages, double spaced, on my desk Monday morning.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Hmmm let's not gank the solo mid Naga once despite having CLinkz, Batrider, Vengeful Spirit and Chen haha that will work for sure. *dies* FUN GAME VALVE

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

bakka bakka posted:

There are few skills that do damage and nothing else. Almost every spell has a secondary effect like slows and stuns. Breathe Fire, Dragon Slave, Starfall, and Crypt Swarm are really the only spells that come to mind as just damage.

Breathe Fire affects mechanical units, and Starfall has the "second random close-range unit is hit twice" thing, which sort of count, maybe. One of the things I really like about Dota (and that is particularly highlighted thanks to RADmode) is the subtle variations in skills. It makes you appreciate why Death Prophet needs levels so badly - Crypt Swarm is twice as powerful as Dragon Slave when you throw Witchcraft into the mix.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Majuju posted:

Lots of abilities scale. See: all percentage based abilities, abilities that don't do damage directly (damage amp), and more! The majority of abilities are not about plain damage.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Craptacular! posted:

Here's what you said:

Craptacular! posted:

I could probably title that replay "Why League Is A Better Game."

Even with pro farm, there is simply no ability that can substitute for auto-attack after a certain point (about 20 minutes in tournament games, longer with your typical internet matchups.)

Here's why that is factually incorrect: Majuju's list of Spell damage and damage amplification abilities listed earlier, AND also ultimates that are at level 16 (and sometimes with Aghs)[Death Ward, Mystic Flare, Drain Life, Finger of Death, Laguna Blade, etc.] are more than enough damage to shut down carries.

In addition, your oversight is completely ignoring the incredible importance of disables, as well as positioning, evasion, vision and a lot of minor things that could just be labeled as player skill.

What you said is obviously going to raise a lot of ire by LoL name-dropping, and its hard to take you too seriously after that. If you meant something different you need to say it in a better way and elaborate your point, not get defensive when people call you out on your lovely joke.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Majuju posted:

Breathe Fire affects mechanical units

How have I never noticed this :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The team I like lost and if that's not proof that this game is terrible then I don't know what is

• Locked thread