Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Ah, yes, Slark, that hero that is just a right-click chassi with no other skills relevant until late-game.

Supported by Omniknight, the ultimate support hero to fight against with only physical damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Oh hey look at all these posts I didn't think I missed that many gam---- :staredog:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Taffer posted:

Lots of abilities scale. See: all percentage based abilities, abilities that don't do damage directly (damage amp), and more! The majority of abilities are not about plain damage.

Sure, but the original discussion was around how nukes don't scale, compared to League, which has a discrete stat (Ability Power?) that shows up both from leveling and on some of the items. Arcane Bolt is unique in Dota in that it's one of the only nukes that scales directly with your attributes. I think the only others are Centaur's Stampede (and Return but that's a passive), and Pudge's Dismember with Aghanim's. That said, there's tons of pseudo-scaling stuff like Feast, Nether Ward, Greater Bash, etc., too. 112 heroes!

Nanomashoes posted:

How have I never noticed this :psyduck:

Keeper of the Light's Illuminate damages catapults, too. Also Toss will damage buildings if you can land it correctly.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pretty sure you can heal catapults with dazzle too.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Yeah I'd love if everything scaled directly like League. I mean I hate variety in strategies and picks that lead into interesting games to watch and/or play. Comebacks too! gently caress those things. If the team that is in the lead at minute 5 doesn't eventually win then what's even the point?

Bossie Lott fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 4, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just want to thank Majuju and the others who managed to salvage an interesting discussion about mechanics out of this. From every discussion I've seen about it in the past in other forums, it usually doesn't lead to much talk about the details but instead posts like the above that focus on "Dota's method = strategy = better."

EDIT: [see below post] I think this is actually the reason I got so mad. Fnatic had a more well rounded team and, as someone who has had so many incomplete CD/RD parties, I'd like to think if a team missing a role refined their limited skills to a high enough point that they may be able to pull it off. I know that when I lose because we don't have a right clicker, or we don't have any stuns and any slows, or some other incomplete party due to draft mode, I like to think that I lost because of insufficient player skill and not because I was doomed from the picking stage.

And maybe if they bought a Scythe to incapacitate Slark a little longer, or something along those lines, they maybe could have.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 4, 2014

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

Kainser posted:

The team I like lost and if that's not proof that this game is terrible then I don't know what is

In a Captain's Draft game no less, which has made Dota really beautiful to watch with all the weird picks (that have also seeped a bit into CM games!!).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Majuju posted:

Sure, but the original discussion was around how nukes don't scale, compared to League, which has a discrete stat (Ability Power?) that shows up both from leveling and on some of the items. Arcane Bolt is unique in Dota in that it's one of the only nukes that scales directly with your attributes. I think the only others are Centaur's Stampede (and Return but that's a passive), and Pudge's Dismember with Aghanim's.

Silencer Glaives scale off of int, too.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

Silencer Glaives scale off of int, too.

Ahh yes! This is another one. And Outworld Devourer's orb scales off your mana pool. Good call, I wasn't factoring orb effects in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
StarLadder seems to be placing a bet that Ukraine isn't going to be such a crazy place in six weeks. Their press release mentions a finals in Kiev again.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Black^ is giving up on China and wants back into the scene. He's worried, however, that there's not a team that would take him. If only there were some team that could use an wildly-efficient super-farmer and was capable of creating mad amounts of space to make up for their lack of game sense...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Majuju posted:

Black^ is giving up on China and wants back into the scene. He's worried, however, that there's not a team that would take him. If only there were some team that could use an wildly-efficient super-farmer and was capable of creating mad amounts of space to make up for their lack of game sense...

I'd say Navi but what if they lost? We'd all have to go play LoL!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Here's a :reddit: link that supports the earlier article claiming that TI4 will likely be hosted in the Key Arena in Seattle, straight the GabeN himself.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

StarLadder seems to be placing a bet that Ukraine isn't going to be such a crazy place in six weeks. Their press release mentions a finals in Kiev again.

I have a few mates who did a drunken weekend to kiev in the middle of the riots. They said it was fine as long as you stayed away from the center of everything.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Gabe also confirms that Kaci will be back for TI4, woop woop

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TITY BOI posted:

That makes me happier than just about any other piece of TI4 news could. :allears:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

TITY BOI posted:

And TI4 is already perfect

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TITY BOI posted:

confirmed: TI4 will own

I just hope they get James and Bruno and Merlini again and NOT MAELK (or anyone like him, ever)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
There aren't any confirmed dates for TI4 yet, right? Flying is expensive and the earlier I can book the better.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
No, just the mid-July rumors. If they do decide on the Key Arena, it's currently unbooked July 6rd to 11th and 16th to 21st, so there are some likely dates.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Taffer posted:

I just hope they get James and Bruno and Merlini again and NOT MAELK (or anyone like him, ever)

To be fair, they only had Maelk because Godz had visa issues.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Taffer posted:

Shaneomad owns, is funny, and is very small so could come as carry on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ragingsheep posted:

To be fair, they only had Maelk because Godz had visa issues.

It was Merlini who replaced Godz, not Maelk.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Get rid of Waga, Tobi and Maelk and bring in those Australian casters who actually want to do a good job

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Concurred posted:

bring in those Australian casters

The less Australians I have to hear screeching banshee-like over Dota the better.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I don't think I've ever actually queued with anyone from the Oceanic area, it's mostly South America and Russia, outside of the US.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Real Starladder(Starladder EU) starting here, now with a slightly messed up drafting overlay!

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Elyv posted:

Real Starladder(Starladder EU) starting here, now with a slightly messed up drafting overlay!

Fnatic with what looks like a offlane omniknight

EDIT: and Navi witch doctor!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
An Omniknight pick in a non-Captain's Draft game :wth:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Think we'll pick Omniknight mid against probably the most consistently good team in the world" - Fnatic :/

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Thank you, Captain's Draft, for making the world a better place.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

xboct is 6/2/13 before the 15 minute mark.

Yeah okay

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there really any good reason for Guardian Angel to be purgeable anymore?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

xboct is 6/2/13 before the 15 minute mark.

Yeah okay
592 gpm in 18 minutes.

Not bad.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Well that sure was a 18 minute gg

Ember is turning out to be a pretty fun hero to watch.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nice job tanking Omniknights perfect winrate Fnatic! (I gotta wonder if his winrate actually is awful though)
Kinda sad how badly this went.

There's so many matches all the time these days. How come all the tournaments happen to be starting up around the same time nowadays?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Level 1 Rosh for Alliance against Cleave (who the gently caress is Cleave)?

Maybe. Maybe.

Also what is this KPOP shite on Starladder_en. Get Ayesee on the playlist cmon.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

jBrereton posted:

Also what is this KPOP shite on Starladder_en. Get Ayesee on the playlist cmon.

This is what happens when Zyori gets to pick the between game music.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ban Zyori. He casts OK, but this is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I have stopped listening to BTS almost completely since they got Zyori, he's so loving bad

• Locked thread