Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have tons of notes on Keep that I need to get off.

You can share individual notes via the Android app (ie one at a time, really annoying), but that's about it. I use it a little here and there, but it leaves a lot to be desired. It looks like you can share right to Evernote, but the conversion isn't spotless (checklists just go as plain text for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Is there a app that only does Skype chat? The official app never works 100% of the time and it takes forever to load chats at times. I remembered I used to use imo.im until they got rid of the Skype feature and from what it looks like, the app has changed into something else altogether

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tunga posted:

The widget is just called "DashClock" and there's another one for a settings icon.

It was only showing the 'settings' widget. I had to uninstall, reinstall to get it fixed.

I tried searching for forums for support, but I can't seem to find anything yet. This widget looks pretty sweet and minimalist, but I'm used to Beautiful Widgets having a shortcut to the alarm and a weather thing. I can't seem to find a way to have the alarm shortcut go to the default alarm app. Does anyone have any suggestions?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Zero000 posted:

Is there a app that only does Skype chat? The official app never works 100% of the time and it takes forever to load chats at times. I remembered I used to use imo.im until they got rid of the Skype feature and from what it looks like, the app has changed into something else altogether

I don't know if something has changed, but the official Skype app on Android seems to have gotten a lot better with regard to chat for me lately. Before, I would constantly miss notifications, or get a bunch of them at one time. Lately, though, they've been instantly appearing on my phone. When was the last time you tried the app?

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.

brc64 posted:

I don't know if something has changed, but the official Skype app on Android seems to have gotten a lot better with regard to chat for me lately. Before, I would constantly miss notifications, or get a bunch of them at one time. Lately, though, they've been instantly appearing on my phone. When was the last time you tried the app?

Last week. My friend got a message from me 1 week later.

I guess I use multiple big chat rooms so it tends to load too much at times and sometimes I just don't get some new chats

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4...SGHi337 on Rogers.

I see this website here says I can root my phone. I want to do this so I can enable BT tethering which is disabled for some reason.

Is this still up to date? Am I all good?

http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s4-cwm-method/

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

I have tons of notes on Keep that I need to get off.

One of the reasons I didn't keep my iPhone 5s. I love keep and there is no iOS app for it yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

It was only showing the 'settings' widget. I had to uninstall, reinstall to get it fixed.

I tried searching for forums for support, but I can't seem to find anything yet. This widget looks pretty sweet and minimalist, but I'm used to Beautiful Widgets having a shortcut to the alarm and a weather thing. I can't seem to find a way to have the alarm shortcut go to the default alarm app. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What do you use for your alarm? Timely puts itself in the list as an extension but Gentle Alarm does not (it's up to each app's developer to add support). That was my primary annoyance with DashClock as a widget until I switched to Timely from Gentle Alarm.

If your alarm of choice does not support it, this extension will allow you to add a custom shortcut to any app. You can also of course make tapping the clock lead to any app you want in DashClock's settings.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4...SGHi337 on Rogers.

I see this website here says I can root my phone. I want to do this so I can enable BT tethering which is disabled for some reason.

Is this still up to date? Am I all good?

http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s4-cwm-method/

Try this thread

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LastInLine posted:

What do you use for your alarm? Timely puts itself in the list as an extension but Gentle Alarm does not (it's up to each app's developer to add support). That was my primary annoyance with DashClock as a widget until I switched to Timely from Gentle Alarm.

If your alarm of choice does not support it, this extension will allow you to add a custom shortcut to any app. You can also of course make tapping the clock lead to any app you want in DashClock's settings.

I use whatever the stock alarm is in the Moto X. The problem is that when I click on the 'alarm' section of DashClock, it takes me to the main 'clock' page of the clock app. I'd like it to open the alarm portion of the clock. Beautiful Widgets manages to do this every time.

I've even installed activity launcher to try to get the shortcut to the 'alarm' activity within the clock but none of the activities listed for the clock actually launch the clock in the alarm portion.

After futzing around with it for a while, I just went to the Play Store and installed something called "Alarms Shortcut". So now I just set the app to that and it works how I want it to.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does pocketcasts not support playlists or am I missing something :confused:

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
The easiest thing for PocketCasts to do is smart playlists, which can be useful but probably not for what you're looking for. If you want a manual playlist, go to a list of episodes (either a smart playlist, or a podcast list) and long press on the episode. Then there will be an icon in the action bar that looks like a plus on a card, which will let you manually add it to a normal playlist. To start you have to create a new playlist, but then after that any other episodes will let you choose that existing list.

A bonus of this type of list is that you can manually sort it too.

e: I only just figured this out after too much messing around with it, and I was almost convinced it wasn't possible too.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there a good e-mail client (POP) for Android with decent spam filters? Preferably paid rather than ad-supported.

I tried using Gmail, but it only checks POP-accounts once every hour or so, which isn't enough. It's also less than ideal that it defaults to using the Gmail-address when replying to e-mail (easy to send from the wrong account by mistake).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Zero000 posted:

IM+ Pro does this. Sometimes it just refuses to sign in to skype for me though, but that's maybe one day a month tops.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Doctor Butts posted:

In the config menu, go to advanced, then set clock shortcut to whatever.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011
Couple of questions on All Access music:

I commute on about an hour train ride each way everyday which equates to me listening to around three hours of music each day without wifi. I had been using Pandora and burning about 50MB a day of my 2GB limit. I made the switch over to All Access and used 200MB today. I think I realized I should set the quality to low about half way through my morning ride, so that's still way more than Pandora. Is there an ever lower setting or anything I can do to get the "radio" experience without all the data. If there was some way to pick a seed and then pin or whatever a days worth of "suggested radio" before I leave the apartment, that'd be awesome.

Way less important: when I play a song to my chromecast, the album art looks really nice and fills the whole screen, but after 30 seconds it compacts down and pops around like a screen saver. It seems like if the bar with the song name and timer just dropped out of view, the album art should be changing every 5ish mins to not burn an image into the tv unless you're actually listening to one album.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
When you create a new radio station, go to 'Radio' in the sidebar and you should be able to pin that station to your device.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

When you create a new radio station, go to 'Radio' in the sidebar and you should be able to pin that station to your device.

That was incredibly simple. Thank you.

I looked up a few articles on it and it isn't clear to me: how much music is now saved locally and does this update automatically / can it be updated manually? Like if I have my original seed, am I always going to have the same queue from that?

Finally, what's the behavior if I do have data, but the radio is pinned? It looks like some of the songs are still grayed out and need a connection during my quick test on airplane mode. I'm guessing it'll stream those songs and play locally the pinned music. I can always just set it to stream on wifi only if so.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I don't know how it stacks up against All Access Music, but Rdio has the ability to sync songs/albums to your phone on wifi so it doesn't use any data. I think it costs the same as well. I've been a subscriber for about 4 years now and aside from more obscure stuff it has the majority of what I want to listen to.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Spotify lets you do that too - up to like 3500 songs I've found. You can also include your own MP3s on your playlists to sync to your phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I think it's safe to say that most music services provide that feature nowadays. I know Beats Music does.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Whats the ebst free word processor for android tabs?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Cruseydr posted:

The easiest thing for PocketCasts to do is smart playlists, which can be useful but probably not for what you're looking for. If you want a manual playlist, go to a list of episodes (either a smart playlist, or a podcast list) and long press on the episode. Then there will be an icon in the action bar that looks like a plus on a card, which will let you manually add it to a normal playlist. To start you have to create a new playlist, but then after that any other episodes will let you choose that existing list.

A bonus of this type of list is that you can manually sort it too.

e: I only just figured this out after too much messing around with it, and I was almost convinced it wasn't possible too.

Sounds like a bit more effort than was I was expecting. I like that beyondpod automatically starts a playlist so I can just add episodes from multiple feeds and start playing. I just wish they'd update the beyondpod UI because for all its great features it's still butt-ugly.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

WYA posted:

Quickoffice. Google bought it out a while back and it ties directly in with Google Drive.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quickoffice.android

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WYA posted:

Google drive/Quickoffice I would think. They're pretty much the same product because they're integrated pretty tight, now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Sounds like a bit more effort than was I was expecting. I like that beyondpod automatically starts a playlist so I can just add episodes from multiple feeds and start playing. I just wish they'd update the beyondpod UI because for all its great features it's still butt-ugly.
It's not as much effort in use as it looks in text. Pocket Casts is an app I would hold up as an example of great Android design, UI, and UX.

Maybe this is a consequence of getting old as balls, but since buying a Mac and since using ChromeOS, I have to say the "you're holding it wrong" school of thought really appeals to me. When a competent entity makes the decisions for the process, using the process as intended is great. Every time I was apprehensive about my workflow I got proven wrong when I finally just tried the flow the appmaker/UX designer laid out.

Stop managing mp3 files and let iTunes do it? Hell no! Tried it, loved it. Let Google manage how I use chat? I didn't use it that way! Tried it, oh wait this works just fine and better in some cases. Do those companies make missteps? Of course, but trying it their way works out on par.

I'm not saying your need for a "podcast queue" isn't working for you now, but maybe making a Smart Playlist with the right settings wouldn't do better for you and remove the manual fiddling with it you're doing now.

One last note about doing it the designer's way that I'm coming to realize: If you try their way and it still sucks, then it's actually their fault and it's time to look elsewhere. But if the alternative doesn't give you "a way" but instead gives you a ton of options, that means they're also not very good and you should keep looking.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Speaking of Google Play Music a few posts ago, I'm having a dumb problem.

I can't reorganize my playlists because the shelf icon I'm supposed to click and drag is too far to the left; when I press there, it brings up the left docked menu. Help?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Drunk Tomato posted:

Speaking of Google Play Music a few posts ago, I'm having a dumb problem.

I can't reorganize my playlists because the shelf icon I'm supposed to click and drag is too far to the left; when I press there, it brings up the left docked menu. Help?

There is no help, it's a really dumb design decision and it drives me nuts. Reorganize through the webapp/site. Much easier.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

There is no help, it's a really dumb design decision and it drives me nuts. Reorganize through the webapp/site. Much easier.
Drag vertically as you touch. The navigation drawer actually has a tiny delay on it so if you drag quickly it'll grab the item instead. I'm able to do it reliably.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, you just have to immediately start moving. As if you're scrolling the playlist. And I guarantee you, you will accidentally reorder your playlist at least twice as your scroll through it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I found the PocketCast UI extremely unintuitive and terrible and it's the only thing to date I've went back for a refund on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Yeah, you just have to immediately start moving. As if you're scrolling the playlist. And I guarantee you, you will accidentally reorder your playlist at least twice as your scroll through it.
Why are you scrolling on the drag handles?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tunga posted:

Why are you scrolling on the drag handles?

I'm left handed and tend to scroll towards the edge of the screen?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I am looking for an inventory app that allows you to create inventories of parts and their assemblies. In other words, I want to be able to track my inventory of Assembly Z, which is made up of 2 Part A, 1 Part B, and 1 Part C. When I adjust either Assemblies (sales) or Parts (restock), I want the inventory to reflect the changes correctly in both areas. I don't know if this is too complicated for an app, but I can only find basic inventory apps. Does anyone have a recommendation?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Wait til you swipe out the side menu and oops not far enough, you just swipe deleted a track from your playlist.

Then you look for the undo popup like in gmail. There isn't one

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What is a legitimate permissions manager for android 4.1 rooted? Supposedly the facebook app is expiring soon and the new one requires sms read access which I don't want to give them.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Tunga posted:

Drag vertically as you touch. The navigation drawer actually has a tiny delay on it so if you drag quickly it'll grab the item instead. I'm able to do it reliably.

Hey thanks, this actually worked.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

baka kaba posted:

Wait til you swipe out the side menu and oops not far enough, you just swipe deleted a track from your playlist.

Then you look for the undo popup like in gmail. There isn't one

Christ, this is the worst thing about Play Music for me. Drives me insane.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

madpanda posted:

What is a legitimate permissions manager for android 4.1 rooted? Supposedly the facebook app is expiring soon and the new one requires sms read access which I don't want to give them.

Just curious, but why not? I think the reason they want SMS Read access is messenger can now act as an SMS client, but that's completely optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madpanda posted:

What's wrong with the inbuilt AppOps?

• Locked thread