Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Heran Bago posted:

Rumors are going around that Nintendo is shutting down Nintendo WFC because it uses GameSpy (boy that takes me back) which is itself shutting down. Huh.

Nintendo, always on the bleeding edge of technological trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Nintendo rumored to to adopt "The All-Seeing Eye" server browser technology as soon as 2015.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Rumors are going around that Nintendo is shutting down Nintendo WFC because it uses GameSpy (boy that takes me back) which is itself shutting down. Huh.

It's not much of a rumor. The Wii U and the 3DS both use in house technology for wi-fi now so it's to be expected that nintendo would move away from anything related to gamespy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

That rumor is bunk, Gamespy the gaming journalism website and Gamespy the online gaming service aren't the same company or even part of the same company.

There's no indication that Glu Mobile is shutting down GameSpy, but Nintendo likely doesn't want to pay for continued operation of a niche service.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Except that GameSpy Technologies has shut down, sort of:

From http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/ :

quote:

Effective January 1st, 2013, GameSpy has ceased to make its software available for Licensing.

If you’re a major label publisher or even an established development studio, you know – the ones that have released titles and real offices with cool things like HR departments, Office managers, etc. and have an Agreement in good standing (you know, you pay your bills, etc) while you will no longer be able to add new titles, your existing supported titles will continue to function while under paid support.

The thing is that IGN was lax with billing and kept servers for popular games for years, and then Glu Mobile just came in and started shutting down servers left and right. It's entirely possible that this was Glu's fault, not Nintendo's.

Keep in mind that it's dependent on royalties, service usage, and others, and it starts at $44,000 per month.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Can you imagine Sony or Microsoft releasing a game in a series with a huge online following for the 2012 holiday season using GameSpy? Maybe the online play for the new Smash and Mario Kart will be that much better, and not just in a miiverse integration way.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

The thing is that IGN was lax with billing and kept servers for popular games for years, and then Glu Mobile just came in and started shutting down servers left and right. It's entirely possible that this was Glu's fault, not Nintendo's.

In your scenario, what would have happened had IGN been more stringent with billing is a shutdown of the Wii's online services much earlier than now.

So Nintendo is fully at fault in both situations. They don't want to pay for continued operation and that's that: Something I don't blame the company for, there can't be more than a handful of people still using these multiplayer services.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 7, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but basically what happened to other companies is that they were never billed for continued operations because the contract was a bit lenient in this way, and then Glu Mobile came in and noticed nobody was paying for anything, and shut down servers according to the contract without contacting anybody first.

So it's fairly clear Glu Mobile doesn't really care about maintaining the GameSpy multiplayer tech. It's quite likely that they want to kill all remaining legacy systems, and so they might have just "screw it" to Nintendo and gave them a date.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

If this is the case, why hasn't Nintendo come out and said it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

If this is the case, why hasn't Nintendo come out and said it?

Transparency isn't very common even in the best of companies. It rarely benefits a company to say "no, this is going on because of behind-the-scenes-decisions." Even a lot of the time the best you get is "this isn't something we can talk about" or "there is something going on but we can't go into details." This isn't an exclusively Nintendo thing and why so many behind-the-scenes bits of information come from anonymous sources.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I know that companies have always had anal style guides about how you refer to their products, but lately it seems to be getting especially audacious for consoles.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I love my Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment syste-:suicide:

What's really dumb is they're all just computers. I have a computer I use for games and entertainment. I call it a computer.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, I love my Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment syste-:suicide:

What's really dumb is they're all just computers. I have a computer I use for games and entertainment. I call it a computer.

This is the same company that offered a meaningless "Day One" xbox achievement and "premium black packaging" (aka the loving box) as pre-order bonuses. They are not terribly creative.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So nintendo is giving away pokemon. That is not a good sign.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

illiniguy01 posted:

Pokemon XY is the fastest selling 3DS title ever and its sales went into 8 digits weeks ago. There's not really any need to interpret "signs" when the actual data is available.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

illiniguy01 posted:

I'm curious to hear why you think that. It would be very interesting to hear your idea of why free games as promotional offers for purchasing a system and games is a bad sign.

Especially since this isn't the first time Nintendo has done this. Back when the 3DS XL came out, you could buy a 3DSXL and either Luigi's Mansion 2 or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and get one of a select few games (including Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 3D Land) for free. In fact they did that about a year ago.

It's unarguably designed to boost 3DS sales before the end-of-quarter-numbers but this is not particularly unusual. The reason March is a lot more crowded with games in general is specifically because of that. It doesn't mean anything good or bad for 3DS sales, nor for Pokemon sales. The promotion ends March 31st, the exact point Nintendo stops caring about shoring up their Q1 sales number

Pokemon was likely chosen for the promotion because it is a big-name title that has planned obsolescence built into it. The pattern with pretty much every Pokemon game in recent memory is that a second 'improved' version has come out within a year to a year and a half of the original title. Odds are extremely good that we're going to see the announcement of Pokemon Z (or possibly X2/Y2) sometime in the next few months, at which point the value of Pokemon X/Y drops. However since that has not yet been announced it's still a sales driver and the concept of a free big-name game will spur the sales of 3DSXL/2DS systems that otherwise would not be sold before the quarter end.

Frankly, Nintendo'd probably be better off doing something like this for the Wii U too, at least that might spur some sales if you could get 3D World for free as long as you buy Tropical Freeze/Pikmin 3 too. Probably wouldn't help but it would be better than the jack poo poo they are doing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 8, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also remember, competition among videogames is fiercer than ever, Steak sells games for mad cheap, Sony keeps giving you 'free' games on PS+ and has mad discounts too, and Microsoft has Games with Gold and xbones with free game bundles. Not to mention, a large number of people have been lost to tablet/smartphones for casual gaming, which is a significant part of Nintendos consumer base, more so than the other companies.

This is just Nintendo having a their sale like all the competition is doing. This is completely normal and not really a desperate move. Getting more 3ds sold would always be a priority, even if Nintendo exceeded projections.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The funny thing about the Pokemon X and Y naming is that it's like the titles are admitting that they didn't know what to call them after they ran out of colours and materials. I can imagine the brainstorm. "We're not sure what to call the next titles, so for now let's call them X and Y... hey wait, let's just call them that! I can't wait for "Pokemon ______" and "Pokemon [insert title]".

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Getting more 3ds sold would always be a priority, even if Nintendo exceeded projections.
It's more likely they're struggling to hit the projections that were already lowered in January than exceeding them.

(Detail: the forecast was 1.9m sold from the end of December to the end of March; they sold ~100k(?) in America in January, and have sold 500k in Japan in 9 weeks.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

It's more likely they're struggling to hit the projections that were already lowered in January than exceeding them.

(Detail: the forecast was 1.9m sold from the end of December to the end of March; they sold ~100k(?) in America in January, and have sold 500k in Japan in 9 weeks.)

We actually don't have any solid hardware numbers for any console in January. The only thing confirmed is that Sony says PS4 outsold the X-Box One 2-to-1. Odds are fairly good it was in the territory of 100-125k based off the fact that the rumored (but unconfirmed) numbers for the XBO put it around 145,000 and we know that it was second place in hardware that month. So around 100,000 is probably a safe bet but it could be better or even could be worse.

Shoring up their Q1 seems pretty likely especially since the only big release they have is Yoshi which they don't seem to be considering a strong sales driver.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The funny thing about the Pokemon X and Y naming is that it's like the titles are admitting that they didn't know what to call them after they ran out of colours and materials. I can imagine the brainstorm. "We're not sure what to call the next titles, so for now let's call them X and Y... hey wait, let's just call them that! I can't wait for "Pokemon ______" and "Pokemon [insert title]".
X and Y are pretty decent titles honestly. Certainly better than POKEMON XD: GALE OF DARKNESS (the XD stands for Xtra Dimension)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's unarguably designed to boost 3DS sales before the end-of-quarter-numbers but this is not particularly unusual. The reason March is a lot more crowded with games in general is specifically because of that.
Too bad Wii U didn't get the memo apparently.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Endorph posted:

X and Y are pretty decent titles honestly. Certainly better than POKEMON XD: GALE OF DARKNESS (the XD stands for Xtra Dimension)

Oh yeah, X and Y are very good. Probably the best original Pokemon titles since the original GBC set (Red/Blue, Silver/Gold)

I mean, it probably seems better than it is just because it feels like the first true Pokemon sequel since those games, with all the graphical and gameplay poo poo that really just brought the series up to acceptable modern standards, but it's fine.

If Nintendo had more poo poo on the Wii U that was X/Y caliber it'd be doing marginally better.

I know we've said in here that the problem with the Wii U isn't primarily the games (and I somewhat agree), but a big loving problem is still the games. Not just that there aren't enough exclusive titles, but that the ones that are there aren't really system-movers. Mario used to be, but I'm pretty sure the days of being able to launch a $300 home console with Mario as the killer app are behind us.

gently caress it, port X and Y to Wii U. It's got online features, it's 3D. Upscale that poo poo to HD and ship it.

(This wouldn't move the needle for Nintendo it's just what I want because I loving hate playing games on handhelds)

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Kins posted:

From the official Watch Dogs release date PR:
Yeah, it was known that it'd be delayed, but no separate date for it? I think that might just be a wrap.

Basically, there's no date because it sounds like there's no one making it right now.

quote:

The one casualty in all of this is the game's Wii U version. Nintendo's low install base makes work on its struggling home console an easy choice for re-prioritising.

"It's been paused," Morin states of the Wii U build, "which means delayed.

"There were some very talented programmers working on it and, when we started to point at the things we needed to fix, we needed those guys and their experience. It was a logical choice to say - let's get those people, let's pause the Wii U thing, let's make sure the experience is where we wanted to be.

Once other versions are done, "then Wii U can get back into place," he concludes.

There was another article where an Ubisoft representative said that that version releasing in 2014 was "a possibility".

All of which sounds to me like a scenario where development on the other platforms will wrap up, Ubisoft will take a good hard look on what it's going to take to finish the Wii U version and make a big decision about spending more money to finish it or just cancel it. It would have to be really close to avoid the axe, I think.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It'll be cancelled. It pretty much already is.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

It'll be cancelled. It pretty much already is.

Yeah, there's no way it's coming out. That statement is the ultimate "we're not saying it, but we're kind of saying it"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

We actually don't have any solid hardware numbers for any console in January. The only thing confirmed is that Sony says PS4 outsold the X-Box One 2-to-1. Odds are fairly good it was in the territory of 100-125k based off the fact that the rumored (but unconfirmed) numbers for the XBO put it around 145,000 and we know that it was second place in hardware that month. So around 100,000 is probably a safe bet but it could be better or even could be worse.

Shoring up their Q1 seems pretty likely especially since the only big release they have is Yoshi which they don't seem to be considering a strong sales driver.

Reliable leaks have the 3DS under 100k by a few thousand for January. Nintendo giving away Pokemon, probably their biggest 2013 title, is a good idea to boost nubmers before the FY end but it's also another indicator that the handheld division is underperforming which should be troubling for Nintendo.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, there's no way it's coming out. That statement is the ultimate "we're not saying it, but we're kind of saying it"

Even if it's far enough along, sales trends have indicated there's no way they'll make back their money on it, so I imagine there's a pretty strong push to just can it. Ubisoft has been one of the more dedicated Wii U supporters and they even came out and admitted that ZombiU was nowhere near profitable.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Heran Bago posted:

Next nintendo turns to Ask Jeeves for online browsing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Al Borland posted:

Next nintendo turns to Ask Jeeves for online browsing.

Bonsai Buddy in the next DKC game.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

BGrifter posted:

Bonsai Buddy in the next DKC game.

Maybe they'll do some ads with that dancing baby. People seem to like that thing.

Jesus christ Nintendo you do everything terribly :negative:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
It was clearly intended for there to be a third version called Pokemon Z, like Crystal/Emerald/Yellow etc., which would then make them Pokemon X/Y/Z, 'cause the game is in 3D now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

El Generico posted:

It was clearly intended for there to be a third version called Pokemon Z, like Crystal/Emerald/Yellow etc., which would then make them Pokemon X/Y/Z, 'cause the game is in 3D now.

Well last generation had direct sequels rather than a third version (we got Pokemon Black 2/White 2 instead of Pokemon Grey), so it could go either way.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Here's a thing I did, maybe you will like it I don't know

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I appreciate them. Thank you for the effort. :)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I especially like the last one, well done.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nintendo's wish to make Cranky Kong into a meme has come true, but backfired like all genie wishes do. Well done!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
non wear able

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
A friend of mine just bought a Wii U and I was showing him the NES games and how much they cost on eShop ($8.50 in NZ). He was blown away at how cheap they are; he recently paid like $30 for an Excitebike cartridge because the only other console he owns is an actual NES. Maybe this is the market Nintendo is going for :lol:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There's not even any news about the Wii U since the last Direct for us to make fun of in the thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
why would you buy an excitebike cartridge for thirty dollars

• Locked thread