Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phlegmish posted:

I think literally every time I switched from Transfer Trade Power to Collect From Trade in a particular node, I started making more money. Then again, I still have a rather tenuos grasp on the trade mechanics, so it's entirely possible that I am just doing trade steering wrong somehow.

Ive been experimenting a lot, now that I have 6 merchants and dozens of boats.

I was collecting in Mauritania (north africa, streams to Western Europe node), it did made a lot of money. But then, according to everyones advice, I should be actually steering there.

So I change the merchant in Mauritania to steer up to western europe, where I have lots of boats and also a merchant steering to Sevilla (my home node). And even though I have the greatest power in Western Europe node (closely followed by France), my trade income still dropped a lot. So I change the merchant in Mauritania back to collecfting and my total income raises by another 10 gold again.

So in theory, the right thing to do would be to steer up in Mauritania. In pratice, though, collecting makes a lot more income.

Perhaps I would need to have even more power in Western Europe to steer it all to Sevilla, and then steering up from Mauritania would yield more income. But that's very hard considering that there Im competing with powers like France, Great Britain and many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bot 02 posted:

From my own experience, it seems that you need five cored provinces in a colonial region for a colonial nation to form. After it's been formed, all other provinces you control/gain control of in that region will be ceded to the new colonial nation, cores or not.

Yes, this is true (except for unfinished colonies). I just had a hilarious/absurd thing where I annexed the entirety of a 20~ province Shawnee and my New France colony immediately got hit with +12 RR in overextension (and a further 3~ in religious unity) getting overrun by about 100k rebels in the 6 months after. Plus they were clearly western tech rebels, with early guns by this point, yet when they enforced demands and became independent again they forgot how guns work & went back to Native American warriors :iiam:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Elias_Maluco posted:

So in theory, the right thing to do would be to steer up in Mauritania. In pratice, though, collecting makes a lot more income.

Perhaps I would need to have even more power in Western Europe to steer it all to Sevilla, and then steering up from Mauritania would yield more income. But that's very hard considering that there Im competing with powers like France, Great Britain and many others.

That's the idea.

The general wisdom of steering abroad and collecting at home applies if you've dominated you home node, and your competitors upstream are all moving their money the same way. As you've seen, West Europe is a very cutthroat market where a bunch of big players are all dragging money in different directions. Any value you send in there is getting split up multiple ways. If you have a node before it where you're dominant, even after the power penalty for collecting abroad, then you're better off collecting there where it's safe then trying to slip it through West Europe.

You'd still want to steer the other west Africa nodes towards Mauritania, because they're one-way, there's low odds of any strong locals trying to collect out of them, and it lets the merchant bonus to value stack when you're able to set them up in a line.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A_Raving_Loon posted:

That's the idea.

The general wisdom of steering abroad and collecting at home applies if you've dominated you home node, and your competitors upstream are all moving their money the same way. As you've seen, West Europe is a very cutthroat market where a bunch of big players are all dragging money in different directions. Any value you send in there is getting split up multiple ways. If you have a node before it where you're dominant, even after the power penalty for collecting abroad, then you're better off collecting there where it's safe then trying to slip it through West Europe.

You'd still want to steer the other west Africa nodes towards Mauritania, because they're one-way, there's low odds of any strong locals trying to collect out of them, and it lets the merchant bonus to value stack when you're able to set them up in a line.

Yeah, makes sense.

And I do steer the other nodes in Africa all to Mauritania, that's why my income there is so good. I also collecting in Malacca for an outstanding income, but in the other asian nodes west of Mallaca Im working to steer how much I can to Africa, so it will end up in Mauritania.

I think in finally getting the hang of the trade system. And its working: Im getting an income of almost 50g from trade alone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, is there a good guide or LP showing off how to play natives out there?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Munin posted:

There are some decent youtube LPs under Arumba and the like, but honestly, doing at least adequately with a Native American nation is harder to fail at than it is to succeed. Just colonising as much as you can before the Europeans arrive will grant an empire far more easily attained than with any Old World minor nation start. The only foreseeable bit of difficulty lies in westernising, wherein you might be folded up rather cruelly if you can't sustain a large enough fleet and ball of fleshregiments to prevent any European consolidation on your continent.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Munin posted:

I ironically suggest the following.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?752956-Quetzalcoatl-Finance-A-Sunset-Invasion-Video-AAR

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DentedLamp posted:

There are some decent youtube LPs under Arumba and the like, but honestly, doing at least adequately with a Native American nation is harder to fail at than it is to succeed. Just colonising as much as you can before the Europeans arrive will grant an empire far more easily attained than with any Old World minor nation start. The only foreseeable bit of difficulty lies in westernising, wherein you might be folded up rather cruelly if you can't sustain a large enough fleet and ball of fleshregiments to prevent any European consolidation on your continent.

Yeah this. Arumba's Pawnee series was pretty good, though (at least until the 1700s when it got kinda repetitive :shobon:). Basically the only real mistake he made (which he only realised 20+ eps in) was that he overbuilt native buildings -- they cost monarch points, and they disappear when you westernize, so his income and force limit got hit pretty bad at the exact time you need it not to.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wait fleet basing rights no longer effect colonization range? So much for Prussian Quebec...

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wait fleet basing rights no longer effect colonization range? So much for Prussian Quebec...

Step one: form Prussian Iceland.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, that's the plan, if I knew I could have been working on Iceland over the last 50 years though, so this is a disappointing surprise.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I think literally every time I switched from Transfer Trade Power to Collect From Trade in a particular node, I started making more money. Then again, I still have a rather tenuos grasp on the trade mechanics, so it's entirely possible that I am just doing trade steering wrong somehow.

It depends! The malus you get to collecting outside of your capital is a malus to trade power. This means that, in a competitive node, you could lose out to people transferring. But where there is no competition, it doesn't matter. Let's say you're, like, Poland, but you decided to colonize Africa->Aden->India->Indonesia->Philippines->Australia or something. Trade is never going to get back to Poland. But if you route it to Timbuktu and control all of the provinces in that trade region, you could collect there and it would be very, very hard for anyone to beat you, even with the 50% trade power malus.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Odobenidae posted:

I've formed the Mughals now, but do the claims on India only last 25 years? I remember a big discussion about this some time ago, but people reported mixed results of only having them for 25 years and others having them renewed after 25 years.

They last forever as long as you keep playing the same session. When you save and quit, they will never renew again. I guess they're meant to last forever but are badly implemented.

Friend Commuter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 8, 2014

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I want to rock the New World as Spain but Castile is a bit too easy. Anybody have any tips on playing Aragon?

On that note, will I get Spain's unique events/missions if I form it as Aragon? I know that Aragon's ideas will be carried over rather that Castile's.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
As Aragon one little tip is you can dipplovasilize Urbino pretty much right out the gate, unless they changed something in the recent patch. I'd say don't neglect a galley fleet. You're more of a Mediterranean power and you can spam galleys, going over your forcelimit because their so cheap, and dominate the Mediterranean Sea.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
If anyone is interested im going to be streaming tonight's Goon eu4 Multiplayer game: (Stream over! Vod is http://www.twitch.tv/vequeth/b/509338223 )
Its using the Europa Gooniversalis mod, around 1600 in game and usually has 15 or so people. Due to start in 5-10 mins.

I can read chat so feel free to ask any questions, the session usually lasts a few hours.

Vequeth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 9, 2014

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Tried playing this again after like 2 months break. Got a crash to desktop error when trying to start the game. I can't remember having any problems before.

The launcher could not contact the paradox servers and they seem to be down.

Is the game dependant on contact with the servers to launch properly?

Edit: Nevermind, think it is the "Better UI" mod that doesn't work anymore. At least the game started properly when I unchecked it.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 8, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yup. Colonization is now basically impossible if you're not Portugal, Castille, Denmark, or a country with the military power to take on one of those three.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DStecks posted:

Yup. Colonization is now basically impossible if you're not Portugal, Castille, Denmark, or a country with the military power to take on one of those three.

Moscovy can colonize fine, I don't know what you're talking about :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DStecks posted:

Anyone who can seize Iceland can colonize pretty easily.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

DStecks posted:

Really? I just finished a game where I colonized a lot of things as loving Tuscany. I just had to kill a few portuguese and castillian people to expand my colonies a little.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

Really? I just finished a game where I colonized a lot of things as loving Tuscany. I just had to kill a few portuguese and castillian people to expand my colonies a little.

I presume this applied to you then?

quote:

or a country with the military power to take on one of those three

Though I have to say that I also don't quite agree with that counsel of despair. Spain and Portugal are a little too successful at the moment (I still boggle at the fact that Spain still regularly beats Russia to the Siberian) but heck, I've seen AI Brittany over there (though they usually got curb-stomped by one of the bigger powers before achieving too much).

Also, you can do a good bit of colonisation as Japan. :D

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
You can just pick Exploration or Expansion as your third or fourth idea or something and you can still do colonisation. You just won't get the first pick of the areas.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
On my current game as Portugal, Norway and the Netherlands are building quite a presence in central and north America.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
There's nothing more irritating then trying to funnel all the New World trade to London and having the Netherlands siphon off a poo poo ton.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I SAID LISTEN posted:

There's nothing more irritating then trying to funnel all the New World trade to London and having the Netherlands siphon off a poo poo ton.

You know what must be done.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
I crush their navy every few years (as well as those of Spain and Portugal), but no way in hell am I taking territory on the mainland.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
My friend and I keep trying to play multiplayer games of at least three people to keep it interesting, but the punks we're able to enlist only want to play for 30 minutes to an hour once, maybe twice, a week instead of all day every day. Anybody want to be our go-to-guy(s) for playing EUIV all the time?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
What happens if you enable yesman and just let the game run?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ebony granny posted:

My friend and I keep trying to play multiplayer games of at least three people to keep it interesting, but the punks we're able to enlist only want to play for 30 minutes to an hour once, maybe twice, a week instead of all day every day. Anybody want to be our go-to-guy(s) for playing EUIV all the time?

There's a thread for that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just got a Comet Sighted event. Which I think is the first time in a very long time since I've seen one. They really did up the MTTH on that one I guess.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

PittTheElder posted:

I just got a Comet Sighted event. Which I think is the first time in a very long time since I've seen one. They really did up the MTTH on that one I guess.

Now that you mention it, I haven't had a single one in 100 years of play since 1.5 launched. I had a few other bullshit stab-lowering events (Offensive or Defensive? gently caress you -1 stab no matter which you choose!) but not Comet Sighted.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A fine map :canada::

Other maps:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cantorsdust posted:

Now that you mention it, I haven't had a single one in 100 years of play since 1.5 launched. I had a few other bullshit stab-lowering events (Offensive or Defensive? gently caress you -1 stab no matter which you choose!) but not Comet Sighted.

Offensive or Defensive is 30 mil points instead of 1 stab, as of 1.5, I think.

All hail the mighty Ottoman Emprie!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I am trying to get that Najd achievment, I am doing pretty well and actually got the 200 provinces achievement now but I am starting to run into problems. Taking some from Oyo resulted in coring times of 244 months.....

How do you best deal with that, I can't vassalize them because they are too low tech (gently caress protectorates) and I obviously can't annex them if it gives me OE for 20 loving years. I always knew that lovely core time modifier would bite me in the rear end if I ever played an unmodded game.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

So I am trying to get that Najd achievment, I am doing pretty well and actually got the 200 provinces achievement now but I am starting to run into problems. Taking some from Oyo resulted in coring times of 244 months.....

How do you best deal with that, I can't vassalize them because they are too low tech (gently caress protectorates) and I obviously can't annex them if it gives me OE for 20 loving years. I always knew that lovely core time modifier would bite me in the rear end if I ever played an unmodded game.

The coring time should start to decline soon. By the end of the 1700's, mine was less than 5 years (ie cores finished before the peace treaty did).

Edit: I'd focus on expanding into Europe with release-and-return cores while you're waiting for those cores to finish. I can definately reccomend getting the united Islam modifier if you have the star and crescent pack.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

ebony granny posted:

Currently we have Friday and Saturday games running at a time that suits Americans and Europeans, as well as a Tuesday American time game. Just drop in!

Here's a gif of the Friday game courtesy of Alikchi:

We generally use Europa Gooniversalis because it's awesome, hence the strange borders.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Currently we have Friday and Saturday games running at a time that suits Americans and Europeans, as well as a Tuesday American time game. Just drop in!

Here's a gif of the Friday game courtesy of Alikchi:

We generally use Europa Gooniversalis because it's awesome, hence the strange borders.

Was that created by manually making map screenshots each year, or is there a tool (like there was for EU3) that reads save files and creates animated GIFs from them?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I think there's a tool that just reads history files for provinces? I'm not sure, but I think Alikchi said something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yep, a tool - here. It's kind of a pain to get working.

• Locked thread