Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sindai posted:

Interesting. Does she go to a different school? I'm too lazy to go back and see if we ever see B-ho at school.

She just doesn't care if he's a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Dr Pepper posted:

She just doesn't care if he's a jerk.

Are there any other girls like this or close to it? It's a personality trait I support in this kind of game.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Are there any other girls like this or close to it? It's a personality trait I support in this kind of game.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but bomb immunity is a trait shared by pretty much every secret character in the Tokimemo series, for variable but mostly justifiable reasons. None of those reasons are "I don't mind if he's a jerk".

A few examples: in Tokimemo 1, Miharu and Rei aren't affected by bombs because Miharu is a stalker and doesn't care, while Rei doesn't care because Rei lost her ability to care in a tragic accident caused by rolling around in too much money at a young age.

In Tokimemo 4, (minor spoiler for a character who won't be on the vote) Haru works during the day, goes to night classes, and just plain isn't around to hear bad gossip.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

vibratingsheep posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but bomb immunity is a trait shared by pretty much every secret character in the Tokimemo series, for variable but mostly justifiable reasons. None of those reasons are "I don't mind if he's a jerk".

A few examples: in Tokimemo 1, Miharu and Rei aren't affected by bombs because Miharu is a stalker and doesn't care, while Rei doesn't care because Rei lost her ability to care in a tragic accident caused by rolling around in too much money at a young age.

In Tokimemo 4, (minor spoiler for a character who won't be on the vote) Haru works during the day, goes to night classes, and just plain isn't around to hear bad gossip.

I heard that there is is another unbombable girl in 4 and considering her major character traits, her being unbombable is a VERY GOOD THING

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 8: Erase / Rewind

Now that the vote has decided on secret character B-ho, there are a few orders of business and priorities for the rest of this run:

1) B-ho's primary stats are General Knowledge and Looks - Goon will need to build those stats in the 120+ range in order to get the right ending. Preferably, he will build these stats on the weekend so that Miyuki doesn't show up.
2) Miho's affection may not exceed B-ho's affection or B-ho will not show up for certain events (Sports Festival and Hatsumoude).
3) Takumi cannot, repeat, cannot pick Miho as his target. If he does, the game becomes unwinnable.
4) Avoiding bombs is not necessarily a priority this run, as B-ho is not affected by the relationship chart and will never create a bomb on her own. In fact, if Miho's affection becomes too high due to drama club association, then it may become beneficial for Goon to bomb himself.

Oh yeah, and I'll need to reload from earlier because it turns out that my current save met Miyuki at some point, so we begin this chapter with an auspicious reload all the way back to 10/10, before the botanical gardens date.

RELOAD COUNT: 64

10/11: Straight-up trolling

As you may recall, I tried 8 or 9 times to get B-ho to show up to this location, and she didn't show up before. Now I rewind 2 months, and she shows up on the first try. What a troll.

In case you're wondering, her dialogue is 100% the same as Miho's until you make the choice:

B-ho: Isn't it really relaxing to be surrounded by greenery like this?
Option 1: Yeah, there are a lot of broadleaf trees I recognize.
Option 2: Yeah, it makes me want to take a nap.
Option 3: I can't help but worry about bugs.

Much like Miho going ice skating, B-ho doesn't particularly like this location, so the best reaction you can get out of her is neutral.

Goon: I can't help but worry about bugs.
B-ho: Oh, you're a tightly-wound Type A, aren't you?
Goon: (Eh.)

10/17: Invite Miho? out on a date

Miho(?) accepted a date on 10/24 at the karaoke box, one of B-ho's favorite spots. This should strain the RNG the least!

10/24: Karaoke date

Score! B-ho showed up.

Goon: How lucky, there's no wait! We'll be getting a room soon.
B-ho: My horoscope said that lots of luck would be waiting today, just like this.

If you've never been to a Japanese-style karaoke box before, it's very different from the stage-and-screen setup that is associated with karaoke bars. Karaoke boxes in Japan are filled with small, private rooms for rent by the hour. Because the rooms are usually well-soundproofed, it's considered one of the few places in Japan where you can really cut loose and shout, short of being at a concert or a baseball game. Amusingly, this means that Japanese karaoke boxes are an ideal place for tabletop RPG groups to rent and meet up for extended sessions of Dungeons & Dragons or the like. This little nugget of information brought to you by the Tenra Bansho RPG.

B-ho: What do you want to sing?
Option 1: I have to sing the kind of enka that makes your soul shake.
Option 2: Hmm, maybe I'll belt out some hot-blooded rock tunes.
Option 3: The latest idol song, of course.

Between old-person enka, cutesy idol pop, and power rock, what do you think B-ho would like?

Goon: Hmm, maybe I'll belt out some hot-blooded rock tunes.
B-ho: Good idea, let's shout our lungs out.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

After this, the culture festival and Goon's birthday both passed exactly like they did previously. The only notable change from before is an invitation to go skating on 12/5. Oh, and:

This is Miho's autumn uniform at school. Please take notes, there will be a test later.

12/5: Snow day

Goon: Shirayuki-san.
Miho: Fudou-san. I'm sorry. I ran a little bit late.
Goon: I just got here too, you're not late. Let's get moving.
Miho: Oh, but will we be able to do anything in this weather?
Goon: (Oh, crap!)
Miho: There'll be nothing to do if we go there, so we have no choice but to go home.
Miho: I'll be on my way now.
Goon: Wait, Shirayuki-san!
Goon: (I really should have looked at the forecast before making plans.)

This is what happens when you set a date more than a week ahead and the RNG hates you - weather is determined 7 days in advance, and can change if you reload to a save more than 7 days before the affected date. If it's snowing, then most outdoor dates get cancelled.

I've lived in California my whole life, so I have to ask: do outdoor skating rinks actually close when it's snowing? Is this a real thing that happens to places with frozen bodies of water? Because of overzealous saving, I had to reload back to October at this point, and replay all of November.

RELOAD COUNT: 65

In the next few versions of November, any and all calls to Miho were met with rejection. So instead of wasting precious Sundays that could have been spent building stats without meeting other girls, I elected to reload instead.

RELOAD COUNT: 66, 67, 68

11/13: Perfect week bonus

Unlike in Tokimemo 1, having a perfect week at school doesn't always lead to a scene of one of the girls praising you (or dismissing you less than normal, in the case of Yuina). However, there's a giant starburst, so I guess that's something. Plus, there's no Rei waiting around the corner just itching for an opportunity to mock you, either.

11/14: Miho(?) finally says yes to something

Date set for 11/23 at Hibikino Central Park. Huzzah! It only took 4 reloads and a total of 13 attempts!

This is B-ho's autumn uniform at school. I hope you can tell the difference!

11/23: Walk in the park with Miho

Well, crap. It's Miho.

Miho: When we're face-to-face in a place like this, doesn't it feel like something special should happen?
Option 1: Like a scene in a romance novel?
Option 2: Like a set piece in a thriller?
Option 3: Like the slapstick segment of a variety show?

I don't think either Miho or B-ho would like to be hit in the face with a pie or chased down in a park as the autumn leaves fall, so the best option is 1.

Goon: Like a scene in a romance novel?
Miho: Y, yes.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

RELOAD COUNT: 69

11/21: Invite B-ho out skating on 12/11 (she accepts)

11/23: Date with Miho - where was it, again?

Tokimemo 2 retains the memory game from Tokimemo 1. If you have too many dates close together, the game will test you and ask you which meeting place you're supposed to head on the day. It leads to some different lines and is kind of funny every once in a while. Do it too often, and it's just annoying.

Goon: (Where were we meeting, again?)
Option 1: Central park
Option 2: In front of the Ijuuin Bridge

Thanks to copious note-taking, I remembered that 11/23 was the park date, leading to new date-opening dialogue.

Goon: (...)
Goon: (Did I go to the wrong place?)
Option 1: Wait a little longer
Option 2: Move to the Ijuuin Bridge

Here, the game gives you a second chance to get it right. Or to mess up, as the case may be. Since Goon is at the right place already, the right choice is to wait a little longer.

Goon: (What's taking Shirayuki-san so long? She's late.)

B-ho: Ahahahaha, sorry. I'm late.
Goon: (Sigh, she just wants to smooth it over by laughing.)
B-ho: What's wrong?
Goon: Nothing. Let's go.
B-ho: What are we doing today?
Goon: Let's walk down the avenue. It should be really nice this time of year.
B-ho: Yes, let's go.

B-ho: When we're face-to-face in a place like this, doesn't it feel like something special should happen?
Goon: Option 1: Like a scene in a romance novel?

B-ho: Y-yeah, just like that.

At this point, it is worth noting that Tokimemo 2 has a chain combo bonus - if you go on consecutive dates with the same girl, each date has an increasing impact on that girl's affection. This is meant to make the game easier, but for obvious reasons, it's most difficult to take advantage of on the Miho/B-ho route.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate you guys? Because I do.

12/6-12/10: Midterms

12/11: Skating date, take I don't even know how many anymore

Fortunately, B-ho showed up on the first try.
Goon: I can skate like a pro.
B-ho: Awesome! Skate for me! I wanna see it!

12/12: Test results

Goon: Nice, I did pretty well.

25th: Fudou Gunma
77th: Sakaki Takumi
110th: Minazuki Kotoko
112th: Hinomoto Hikari
133rd: Shirayuki Miho
156th: Hokari Jun'ichirou

In this version of the run, Miho has been spending much more time at drama club hanging out with Goon - which means that her Science scores have suffered greatly and she has dropped down to a red score in that subject. Jun continues to be awful at social studies.

12/19: Invite B-ho to go skiing on 12/23 (she accepts)

12/23: Skiing date round 2; reload until B-ho

RELOAD COUNT: 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76

Goon: I, I see. That's a cute name.
B-ho: Artemis-chan and I both appreciate the compliment.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

12/24: Christmas double date, again

As a way of passing the misery along, I had Goon force Takumi to the merry-go-round with him on this run.

Takumi: Are you crazy?
Goon: I was at least half joking, but...
Takumi: True.
Takumi: But even as a joke, we've taken it this far, and we have to see it through.
Goon: ...Yeah.

Takumi: Well, wasn't that pointless?
Goon: Yeah...

1/1: Hatsumoude; reload until Daikichi

Mechanically, this is because daikichi lowers stress, while any kind of unlucky result can raise the stress stat. Even though Goon's stress stat is fairly low due to his low-stress life of acting, looking good, and sleeping, it's still worth reloading a bad fortune to avoid its negative effects. Besides, what's one or two reloads at this point when we're already pushing 80?

Draw #1: 大凶 (terrible luck)

RELOAD COUNT: 77

Draw #2: 大凶 (terrible luck)

RELOAD COUNT: 78

Draw #3: 凶 (bad luck)

RELOAD COUNT: 79

Draw #4: 吉 (good luck)

RELOAD COUNT: 80

Draw #5: 大吉 (great luck)

Goon: Great luck! I'm a different man this year already!

1/2: A quick breather

At this point it's a good time to take a look at the status screen, AKA Goon's room. You'll note that there is now a book on his desk to go with the wig on the top shelf, which shows up because his Lit stat is a hefty 143 at this point of the game. As Goon's stats go up, his room will fill with other little items to add some flavor to the otherwise bland room.

Overall stats:
Stamina 103 | Lit 143 | Science 65
Art 90 | Exercise 66 | General Knowledge 89
Looks 89 | Guts 11 | Stress 5

For reasons that will be explained later, Goon's goal by Christmas 2000 is 100 looks - a goal which could be met in a couple of days, if necessary.

1/9: Invite Miho(?) to the arcade (she accepts)

1/16: Arcade date

B-ho showed up to the arcade - which shouldn't be that surprising, it's one of her favorite places to go.

Goon: The overall player rank at this arcade is pretty low, so you can get a pretty honest game here.
B-ho: Is that so? I don't quite get it, but honest sounds good.
Goon: Kinda. Anyway, Shirayuki-san, let's head in.

B-ho: What kind of game were you playing? I couldn't see very clearly.
Option 1: The latest fighting game.
Option 2: A puzzle game that's popular with girls.
Option 3: A racing game that really appeals to hardcore fans.

I like to imagine here that Goon is playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves, a game very near and dear to my heart. It came out on November 26, 1999, so it would still be new in the arcades at this point in time. Not that this has any bearing on Tokimemo 2, but it's still important to know your history! So even if it wasn't the right answer, it's what I would've played at the time, dammit.

Goon: The latest fighting game.
B-ho: What? You said it was the latest one? Where is it?

I looked it up - this is the best option for B-ho, but the other two choices are both good as well. Meanwhile, Miho hates fighting games and is lukewarm on puzzle games and racing games. I think B-ho and I would get along in real life. I bet she'd be a top-tier scumbag and main Kain just because he's well-dressed, though.

Anyway, when presented with something new and shiny, B-ho talks a mile a minute and sounds absolutely nothing like Miho - the first time all game that she hasn't even tried to match Miho's regular speech patterns because she's so excited. She usually drops down a pitch and adds the obligatory "desu yo" when she slips out of Miho mode for even a second.

B-ho: I'm glad I came. This was super fun.
B-ho: Please, invite me out again some time.

Next time: Valentine's Day, White Day, and Mei Day!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 12, 2014

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

vibratingsheep posted:

I've lived in California my whole life, so I have to ask: do outdoor skating rinks actually close when it's snowing? Is this a real thing that happens to places with frozen bodies of water? Because of overzealous saving, I had to reload back to October at this point, and replay all of November.
Only when the weather is so bad that it's unsafe or otherwise impossible to maintain. A bit of snow hasn't stopped any of the outdoor rinks in southern Ontario I've been to, or the big tourist hotspot in the form of the frozen Rideau River in Ottawa.

See also:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

vibratingsheep posted:

RELOAD COUNT: 80
:catstare:
Being Gunpei is suffering.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ok, that arcade date just convinced me that B-ho was the superior choice. Sorry froggie, I hate to turn my back on you but fighting games!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Power rock and fighting games? What a gal. :allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
B-ho likes fighting games? Correct decision made, goons.

I'm not gonna lie, I was scanning the arcade backdrop on the off-chance that there could have been a caricature of somebody famous.

(Also isn't Kevin the best character in Garou and Kain somewhere in the middle at best)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
We never make wrong decisions in these games.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

(Also isn't Kevin the best character in Garou and Kain somewhere in the middle at best)

Kain's high tier, not as godly as Kevin or B. Jenet but still very good.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Schubalts posted:

We never make wrong decisions in these games.

I 100% agree with this.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
B-ho's immunity to bombs makes me wonder: does Kaedeko gain bomb immunity after she moves away? After all, you'd think someone who went to a different school would be immune to school gossip.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What I'm getting from this is that B-ho is way more interesting than Miho in every conceivable way.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

tomanton posted:

Only when the weather is so bad that it's unsafe or otherwise impossible to maintain. A bit of snow hasn't stopped any of the outdoor rinks in southern Ontario I've been to, or the big tourist hotspot in the form of the frozen Rideau River in Ottawa.

This, with the added caveat that I've only seen it happen twice, ever. The schools are more likely to close than the rinks are.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Classy Hydra posted:

This, with the added caveat that I've only seen it happen twice, ever. The schools are more likely to close than the rinks are.
And schools hardly ever close, so that's a high bar to clear. :v: (At least that's how it goes here in the frozen midwest. Not that it ever stopped kids from hoping for a snow day.)

BlitzBlast posted:

What I'm getting from this is that B-ho is way more interesting than Miho in every conceivable way.
Well of course. You don't make the secret(ish) character the boring one, now do you?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. I wonder when we're going to find out what's really going on here. You'd think it would be getting obvious.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
vib, are you streaming today?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sincx posted:

vib, are you streaming today?

Yeah. Probably a fairly brief stream for the Tokimemo 2 portion (I've learned from my previous mistake of playing in giant chunks and having to sift through a 4gb movie file), followed by Titanfall and/or just hanging out and writing the next post.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just binged through this, and my only regret is that we didn't piek Homura. Or, failing that, Mei, but Homura seems like good people.

Hopefully we'll see them again later.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Going live with the regular Thursday stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Stream finished - the next post will be up in about an hour. Thanks for watching!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 14, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 9: Settling into a rhythm

Time for a bit of a lull in the action - most of the interesting stuff is concentrated into years 2 and 3 in the B-ho route, so it's best to lay low for the end of year 1. Not that this actually makes the game easier, mind you - it's still in the hands of the RNG!

1/30: Status report from Takumi

This is the current state of the game. Amazingly, Kotoko has warmed up to Goon a little, probably because Hikari won't shut up about her best friend who is not named Kotoko. We're going to make sure she ends the school year with the lowest affection rating toward Goon, which will make her Jun's target and ensure that he stays out of the way.

2/14: Valentine's Day

Hikari: Gunma-kun!
Goon: Hey, Hikari.
Hikari: Here's your giri chocolate.
Hikari: Bet you're glad to get it!
Goon: I'm surprised you can be so blunt about it.
Hikari: It's waaaay better than moping around all day, isn't it?
Goon: (I mean, she's right, but...)

A reminder: one of Tokimemo 2's biggest improvements over Tokimemo 1 is that the childhood friend character(s) actually act friendly. Also, for an explanation of the difference between polite/giri chocolate and romantic/honmei chocolate, refer to Shiori run chapter 8.

Takumi: Yo!
Goon: Yo, Takumi. What's up?
Takumi: Today's Valentine's Day. You've gotten some chocolate already, haven't you?
Goon: Y, yes.
Takumi: Reeeeeally? Well, whatever.
Takumi: If you don't get any, I'll donate some of mine to you.

Thanks for the save, Hikari. You saved Goon from a fate worse than loneliness: condescension.

Girl: Takumi-kuuun, I'll give you some chocolate if you come over here~!
Takumi: Yes ma'am!
Girl: Oh, Takumi-kun, you're sooooo cute!
Takumi: Tee-hee!
Goon: (Don't be fooled!)

Goon: Hmm? Jun? Hey, Jun!
Goon: (What's he running from? I should probably chase him down.)

Jun: AUGH!
Jun: Oh, it's just you.
Goon: You're acting really weird, dude.
Jun: L, listen, you've gotta believe me! I, I...
Goon: You what?

Jun: I got... f, from a girl... ch, ch, ch--
Goon: Ch?
Jun: I got chocolate! What do I do?
Goon: ?
Jun: WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Goon: (He's so innocent...)

Miho: Fudou-san.
Goon: Hmm? Hey, Shirayuki-san.
Miho: Here's your chocolate.
Goon: What? For me? Thanks, even if it is just giri chocolate.
Miho: I'm glad you like it.
Goon: (She's not gonna deny it.)

Goon: I got two chocolates this year.
Goon: I should just be glad I got any at all. Right?

2/20: Invite Miho to the circus on 2/27 (she accepts)

Just a quick look at what's coming up - February and March are pretty busy months. February 24th is Miho's birthday, while finals, White Day, and spring break loom on the horizon.

2/24: Miho's birthday

To be perfectly honest, it's best if we don't give Miho a birthday present this year, to avoid any potential problems that may arise from her having a higher affection than B-ho. But, just for reference:

Best present: Kero Kero Debeso-chan bobblehead
Neutral present: Wristwatch
Worst present: Silver necklace

For some reason, year 1 and year 2's presents are exactly the same for Miho. I'm not sure why this is - it might have been developer oversight. For this run, I got Miho the best present just to show off her reaction.

Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-san!
Miho: Hmm? What's going on? Did you need something?
Goon: Here's your birthday present. Open it up!
Miho: You knew it was my birthday?!
Miho: This present is amazing!
Goon: (She looked really happy, I'm glad she liked it)

For all future runs, I chose not to give Miho a birthday present on 2/24.

2/25: The B-ho in Winter

This is B-ho's winter school uniform. The only way I knew it was her was because of the EVS glitch. drat this route.

2/27: Circus date, take 1

Miho showed up for this time around.

Goon: We're pretty fortunate, there aren't many places where you can see the circus.
Miho: I'm so thrilled, I love the circus.
Goon: Then let's go be amazed, Shirayuki-san.
Miho: I hope we're ready for all the excitement!

Miho: Seeing a real circus is like a dream come true.
Option 1: It does feel just like a dream.
Option 2: There's still more to this dream.
Option 3: It's not a dream, but a magical reality.

These are pretty ambiguous. Let's try and see if Miho likes 3.

Goon: It's not a dream, but a magical reality.
Miho: I wish life could be this magical every day.

RELOAD COUNT: 81

Note that a few things have changed in Goon's room as his stats continue to climb. Along with the chonmage wig to represent drama club, and the book to show he's well-read (Lit 100+), there is also a mirror by the TV for being a good-looking fellow (Looks 100+), and a sketchbook on the other side of the TV to represent his artistic side (Art 100+). His General Knowledge is above 100, represented by that... black thing to the right of the PlayStation. Is that supposed to be a PS2?

2/27: Circus, part 2

B-ho this time. Hurray, got it in two! As usual, the dialogue is exactly the same for both Miho and B-ho.

B-ho: Seeing a real circus is like a dream come true.
Option 1: No time for dreaming, keep your eyes on the show.
Option 2: There's still more to this dream.
Option 3: It's not a dream, but a magical reality.

And as usual, the choices are also the s... hey wait a minute, option 1 is different for B-ho! That's a first. It doesn't mean that it's a good choice, mind you, it just means that it's different.

Goon: It's not a dream, but a magical reality.
B-ho: I know, right? I'm so happy!

As has happened a few times before, B-ho slaps a polite "desu" at the end of this sentence as an afterthought. At least she's trying!

3/3: Walk home with B-ho and face the consequences

I wish there were some way to tell them apart other than by staring at the chest every time. It makes me feel weird.

Oh, by the way, this also led to the first bomb warning of this run! I suppose a full year of ignoring everyone not named Shirayuki was enough to make someone sad.

Goon: Lately, there seem to be some bad rumors going around that I've been acting really cold to girls.

There are only three candidates for bombing: Hikari, Kotoko, and Miho. Miho is right out, so it looks like Hikari is the bomb this time. Not that Hikari herself would do any of this rumor-spreading. Wait, didn't Kotoko talk about how acting distant to Hikari would lead to bad rumors? Well, I guess she was telling the truth! Or just stating what she was about to do, either way works.

3/5: Invite Hikari out on a date

This was a little bit unwise because of needs to happen on White Day, but overall fine in the grand scheme of things. It's not like anything can stop Hikari's affection from maxing out anyway, so it's a drop in the bucket.

Goon: Hello, am I speaking to Hinomoto-san?
Hikari: Oh, Gunma-kun! I was wondering when you'd call.
Hikari: So what's up?
Goon: Hey, so...
Goon: Want to go to the amusement park on the 11th?
Hikari: Lemme check.
Hikari: Yeah, that looks fine.
Goon: Okay, let's meet at the bus stop on the 11th.
Hikari: Roger! Don't you forget, okay?
Goon: I'll even be on time. Later.
Goon: (Awesome, I can't wait!)

3/6-3/10: Finals

3/11: Date with Hikari

Goon: (I think I'm a little early.)

Hikari: Gunma-kun.
Goon: Hey, Hikari.
Hikari: Thanks for waiting! Let's move!
Goon: Yeah, let's get a move on!

Goon: That sucks, it looks like some of the attractions are closed today.
Hikari: Yeah? Well, it's not like we can do anything about it, so let's enjoy what we can!
Goon: You're right.

Most of the outdoor attractions close down when it's raining, so there will be no roller coaster in the rain.

Hikari: So, where should we head?
Option 1: Let's ride the Ferris wheel
Option 2: Let's ride the merry-go-round.

Only a couple of girls actually like the merry-go-round, so the Ferris wheel it is!

Hikari: You know, when we were up at the very top of the wheel, I thought for a second:
Hikari: Wouldn't it be scary if a sudden gust of wind blew at us out of nowhere?
Option 1: No way would that happen.
Option 2: You'd be fine! I'd be falling right next to you.
Option 3: They shut down the Ferris wheel on windy days.

Personal note: I'm mildly acrophobic. Once, when I was a kid, I got on one of those Ferris wheels with the spinning cages and the carnie forgot to unlock the cage after letting me in and closing the door. So the cage was locked in position relative to the wheel, and when my cage reached the top of the wheel, I was stuck upside-down. Right around then, the power went out and the ferris wheel froze with me strapped to my seat in an upside-down cage. That was probably the least fun 5 minutes of my life.

For this reason, I very quietly freaked out when Hikari put that image in my head. Back to the LP!

Goon: You'd be fine! I'd be falling right next to you.
Hikari: Pfff... ahahahahaha! We'd both still be falling!
Hikari: But it's funny, so I'll allow it.

Hikari: Today was a lot of fun! Let's do this again soon.
Hikari: Really soon.
Hikari: Hey, if you don't mind, could we walk together a little while longer?

3/12: Read the new issue of Hibikino Watcher

Mail order ad (far left): "Browalker: With this, you can be muscular and popular too!"
New spot (top left): (Concert hall) "The multi-purpose hall Hibikino Sun Plaza is open! The first act will be the KNM Symphony Orchestra!"
Movie (bottom left): Love Story on the Sunken Ship plays until June 9th. "The year-long voyage is ending, and soon the run of Love Story on the Sunken Ship will be over! Feel all of the emotion one last time at the movie theater!"
Movie (bottom right): Saving Private Lion starts playing June 10th. "The blockbusters from America keep coming to Japan! Private Lion, a human drama with war as its backdrop, starts on 6/10!"
Hibikino Stadium (top right): Baseball starts on April 1st! If you're a real fan, you can't miss opening day!
Hibikino Central Park (right side): "The cherry blossoms at Hibikino Central Park are going to be in bloom from the end of March to the beginning of April! Don't forget to prepare for Hanami!"

Copied and pasted from Tokimeki Memorial 1 chapter 2:
The KNM Symphony Orchestra is a please-don't-sue-us version of the NHK Symphony Orchestra

Also C/Ped from chapter 9:
花見/Hanami/"flower viewing" is a beloved springtime tradition, where people go out for picnics and parties to celebrate and admire the beauty of Japan's famous cherry blossoms. It's vaguely similar to going to see the leaves changing color in autumn, but it's so important to the Japanese that the weather service keeps track of where cherry trees are in bloom with the scrutiny of a storm front. Cherry trees are only in bloom for a couple of weeks a year in each area, so it's pretty crazy to try and join in the revelry - prime picnic spots are often staked out a day or two in advance, and as the day goes on, drunken revelry gets more and more wild.

This cultural note was inserted because "Let's go flower viewing" sounds stupid, even though that's an accurate-ish translation.

3/12: Call Takumi and check for bombs

Yup, the bomb is gone.

3/13: Test results

Goon: Nice, I did pretty well.

26th: Fudou Gunma
107th: Sakaki Takumi
113th: Hinomoto Hikari
123rd: Hokari Jun'ichirou
132nd: Minazuki Kotoko
138th: Shirayuki Miho

Jun, as always, is absolutely clueless at Social Studies. Miho barely dodges having to take two separate supplementary tests, with a 30 in Science and a 20 in Math. Maybe we should spend less time pulling her into drama club!

...Nah.

3/14: White Day

Takumi: White Day's so hard for me! There are so many girls I have to give gifts to.
Goon: Sigh. Life must be so hard for you.
Takumi: Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Later!

Don't you just want to punch that smile right in the face? Goon has some impressive self-control.

Jun: What a waste of time.
Goon: Have you already given your gift to that girl from Valentine's Day, Jun?

Jun: N, not yet... but I definitely will.
Goon: (He's so innocent...)
Goon: Well, I should probably give a White Day gift too.
Goon: Who should I give it to?

Option 1: Hikari
Option 2: Miho

Just like in Tokimemo 1, you only get the option of giving a White Day gift to a girl who gave you chocolate on Valentine's Day. And since B-ho can't show up on White Day, it's honestly best to give it to Hikari or no one at all.

Goon: Yeah, I should give it to Hikari.

Hikari: Hey, Gunma-kun. What's up?
Goon: Here, as thanks for the Valentine's chocolate.
Hikari: Oh, thanks. See you later!
Goon: (Well, that was brief.)

3/19: Invite Miho to Hanami on 3/26 (she accepts)

3/26: Hanami, take 1

This is Miho's spring outfit.

Miho: The flower petals dancing in the wind look like they're right out of a fairy tale.
Option 1: I got one in my mouth.
Option 2: It wouldn't be surprising at all if a fairy appeared right now.
Option 3: I want to walk through them.

Since we're reloading anyway, let's go with the obviously bad, but hilariously mood-ruining answer!

Goon: I got one in my mouth.
Miho: Tsk, tsk, cherry blossom fairies, you shouldn't play pranks on people who don't notice you.
Goon: (I made a bad impression...)

Miho: Oh, could you be a time fairy?
Miho: Can you change the past?
Goon: Shirayuki-san?
Goon: :aaa:

Time Fairy Count: 5
RELOAD COUNT: 82

3/26: Hanami, take 2

Miho again.

Goon: It wouldn't be surprising at all if a fairy appeared right now.
Miho: *giggle* The cherry blossom fairies are already here.

RELOAD COUNT: 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88

3/25: Play with the form of address system

As I mentioned before, Tokimemo 2 has a system that lets you change how you address people - this affects most instances of $girlname in the script, and also serves as a gauge of how much they like you. In most cases, you have a good idea of what the girl will allow you to call them.

In the Miho/B-ho case, this system is incredibly difficult. They have different affection gauges, different forms of address that they prefer, and you don't even get to see which one it is before you decide what to say. Observe!

Goon: Hey, it's Shirayuki-san!

Options:
Shirayuki | Miho | Miho-pyon
Shirayuki-san | Miho-san
Shirayuki-chan | Miho-chan

Calling someone by just their last name is kind of brusque. Calling someone by just their first name is really, really familiar (this is why only Hikari lets you do it). -san is relatively polite, while -chan is a diminutive form of address you use on children and close friends. At this point of the game, with both Miho and B-ho at friendly+ status, this is what they'll allow:

Allowed
Miho: Shirayuki-san, Shirayuki-chan, Miho-chan
B-ho: Shirayuki-san, Shirayuki-chan

Allowed only at max affection
Miho: Miho, Miho-san, Miho-pyon
B-ho: Miho-chan, Miho-san

Never allowed
Miho: Shirayuki
B-ho: Shirayuki, Miho, Miho-pyon

I decided to tempt fate and demonstrate the system with "Miho-chan", which works on Miho but not B-ho.

Goon: Miho-chan!
Miho(?): Who are you talking to?
Miho(?): Because that's definitely not me.

B-ho Death Glare Count: 6
RELOAD COUNT: 89, 90

3/26: Hanami, take 10

For reference, this is what B-ho looks like in the spring.

B-ho: The flower petals dancing in the wind look like they're right out of a fairy tale.
Goon: I got one in my mouth.
B-ho: No waaaay, were you just running around with your mouth wide open?

Again, B-ho slaps the polite interrogative "desu ka?" at the end, about 2 seconds after she already finished the sentence.

4/5: Mei Day: Enter the Tiny Tyrant

Goon: What's going on? There's some kind of commotion over by the school grounds.
Goon: I guess I'll check it out.

???: This is a stupendously lowly school.
Man in black: My deepest apologies, Mei-sama.
???: It will suffice.

Ijuuin Mei: Not only does she come to school in a helicopter, she comes to school in a helicopter with a canopied armchair.

Goon: (Ugh, she comes to school in a helicopter? And that - that's the Ijuuin family's crest.)
Goon: (Which means that girl is the daughter of the Ijuuins?)
Goon: (Why's she at Hibikino? No, I shouldn't ask. As they say, "the god you don't touch will not curse you"

TL note: The proverb Goon quotes here is commonly translated as "let sleeping dogs lie". However, the Japanese version of the proverb comes with less of a connotation of "don't mess with crazy/dangerous people" and more of a connotation of "don't mess with people who can ruin your life and the lives of everyone you know". So it'd be a little more accurate (and nerdy) to render it as "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Mei: Hey, rear end in a top hat.
Mei: Are you listening?
Goon: Huh? Me?
Mei: Yes, you. You're just the person for the job.
Mei: You will guide Mei to the principal's office.
Goon: Wh, what do you mean?
Mei: While you're at it, you will carry Mei's backpack.
Mei: You should feel honored that you are deemed worthy of this privilege.
Goon: Why do I have to--

Goon: I ACCEPT THIS HONOR GIVE ME THE BAG

Ijuuin Mei: refers to Goon as 貴様/kisama, which used to be an archaic and polite form of address, but these days means "bastard" or "rear end in a top hat". Refers to herself in the third person, which sounds both childish and imperious coming from her.

Her manservant is perfectly willing to pull guns on teenage boys.

Takumi: Looks like the three of us are in the same class again.
Goon: Again? Seriously?
Jun: Geez, sorry.
Goon: No, I didn't mean that in a bad way.
Takumi: Hey now, let's keep it friendly this year, okay?
Jun: Yeah...
Goon: Yeah.
Takumi: Now if you'll excuse me, I need to say hello to all the girls in class.
Jun: Hmph, how pointless.
Goon: (Those two are such polar opposites.)

Kotoko: Oh, hello.
Goon: Hey, Minazuki-san.
Kotoko: We appear to be in the same class this year.
Goon: Yeah, looks like we can have a lot of fun.
Kotoko: Oh? I bet you say that to everyone.
Kotoko: But it won't work on me.
Goon: (Geez, Minazuki-san is a tough nut.)

All according to plan. Kotoko being in our class means that Jun will fall for her, conveniently leaving the two of them far out of our way.

Next time: Crush them, my froggy minions!

HQ gif: http://gfycat.com/EsteemedDimpledFruitfly

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 14, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Can you explain a bit more about how Jun and Takumi work in this game?
Do they just go for the girl that likes you the least out of your harem?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

tonberrytoby posted:

I think it was said earlier in the LP that Jun goes for the girl with the least affection for you and Takumi's is randomized to some degree. To what degree I don't know.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

So... nobody in the school is going to ask why you are being marched down the corridors at gunpoint?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\/\/\

Not if they do not also want to be at gunpoint, which they do not.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I wish there were some way to tell them apart other than by staring at the chest every time. It makes me feel weird.
Good. Hold onto that feeling. It's when you stop feeling weird about it that you'll have a problem.

vibratingsheep posted:

Calling someone by just their last name is kind of brusque. Calling someone by just their first name is really, really familiar (this is why only Hikari lets you do it). -san is relatively polite, while -chan is a diminutive form of address you use on children and close friends.
Is calling someone "Surname-chan" something anyone would ever realistically do in actual Japanese for real? In what situation would you want to use someone's formal name and a familiar suffix?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 14, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: I ACCEPT THIS HONOR GIVE ME THE BAG
Mei is the greatest. :allears:

Anyone who hasn't should go read that LP linked earlier that does her route and Homura's route. They're both hilarious.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Jun always goes for the girl who joins your class in year 2, who mechanically is the girl you know who likes you the least at that time - which is almost always Kotoko. You'll see that next post.

Takumi picks at random, and in year 2, you only get a clue - he gives you three names, and one of them is real. Thankfully, he picks from the entire (non-secret) cast and not just the girls you know. I have footage of that in my "time to dick around" portion of the stream, which I forgot to record locally, but I can grab a couple screenshots from my stream and post them next time.

FractalSandwich posted:

Is calling someone "Surname-chan" something anyone would ever realistically do in actual Japanese for real? In what situation would you want to use someone's formal name and a familiar suffix?

I've never actually thought about this. It definitely isn't common. I'll think about it for a while and give you a better answer.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 14, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sindai posted:

Mei is the greatest. :allears:

Anyone who hasn't should go read that LP linked earlier that does her route and Homura's route. They're both hilarious.

I'm hoping we eventually cover them there because the writing style over on that LP makes it really hard to sit through and get what is actually going on.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm hoping we eventually cover them there because the writing style over on that LP makes it really hard to sit through and get what is actually going on.

That, and the image quality is distractingly bad compared to this LP, too.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Happy White Day, y'all. (I got some cheap chocolates for my coworkers. They seemed honestly surprised, though I was just returning the favor from last month.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wow! That update's up fast! Thanks for

vibratingsheep posted:

Personal note: I'm mildly acrophobic. Once, when I was a kid, I got on one of those Ferris wheels with the spinning cages and the carnie forgot to unlock the cage after letting me in and closing the door. So the cage was locked in position relative to the wheel, and when my cage reached the top of the wheel, I was stuck upside-down. Right around then, the power went out and the ferris wheel froze with me strapped to my seat in an upside-down cage. That was probably the least fun 5 minutes of my life.

For this reason, I very quietly freaked out when Hikari put that image in my head. Back to the LP!

:stonk: That's terrible! And here I thought you were just pausing to figure out which was the right choice.

As for Mei and Homura, I've put off on reading the other LP, in case we end up covering them here.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
This is unrelated to the current situation but I tried out the "Konamiman" code for Tokimemo 1, the one that sets all your stats to ludicrously high levels. It actually sets every stat including Stress(!) to 573, the "Konami number". Cute little touch so I felt like sharing.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Mei: proving once again that no one should have anything to do with the Ijuuins. Somehow, I just knew that she was going to be closer to the second coming of Rei than Yuina. Although that scene IS hilarious.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
So have you "met" Mei now? I think it's a little silly, if so.
"That guy who I forced to carry my bag on my first day hasn't called! :argh:"

Also please tell me the manservant has a secret ending, that would be too funny

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Poulpe posted:

So have you "met" Mei now? I think it's a little silly, if so.
"That guy who I forced to carry my bag on my first day hasn't called! :argh:"

Also please tell me the manservant has a secret ending, that would be too funny

In terms of in-game narrative, she starts out not actually liking Goon, just knowing he exists. It's all the little things that raise affection - seeing his name at the top of the test scores, seeing him be awesome at sports in front of the whole school, geeking out next to him at the computer club, etc. If we leave things alone, it'll be well over a year before she upgrades to actually caring about Goon's existence.

And as for the manservant, whose name is Mihara Sakunoshin, he does not have a secret ending. However, he does have a 3D model because he is Mei's Limit Break.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Ha ha ha holy poo poo Mei has the best intro.

Also, if you want to reduce that creeper feeling, it's a little more of a pain, but with the uniforms, you can also check to see if the shadow on the scarf lines up with the stripe on the wrist. You can't really tell if she doesn't have her hand up to provide a landmark, but there's a difference of a couple pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After seeing that intro I broke and checked out the other LP just to see how the gently caress that relationship would work out. Now I'm sad we didn't join the science club. Apples!

• Locked thread