Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Dexo posted:

Bears apperantly signed Willie Young to a 3 year deal, What can Lions fans tell me about him?

edit:

I liked Willie, surprised the Lions couldn't get anything done to keep him, but he was a guy who up until last year was always more of a talent than a performer, and maybe the team thought that with the rest of the talent on the line he should have shown more. Either way, he's good and that contract is a great value for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ozu posted:

Ok, so it's essentially 1 year deal with a ludicrous 2nd year option tacked on to avoid any franchise tag.

@RapSheet
In the end, Revis’ Pats deal turns out to be a two-year deal worth $32M with a team option for $20M in 2015… which means no franchise tag

The important thing is, the Pats have quite a bit more money than what everyone thought last night which means after we (hopefully) rework Wilfork's contract, they have quite a bit of money to splurge on free agents this offseason. Also, it sounds like they're probably going to try to work something out before the end of the season if Revis is a 'good fit' (can't see how he wouldn't be) for a longer term deal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wesley Walker posted:

It seems to discourage the idea of turning this into a long-term thing, but that probably wasn't gonna happen anyway. Likewise with the franchise tag, no way they would've tried it with Revis anyway.

The positive for the Patriots is this gives some breathing room for more signings right now.

I don't think it discourages them any more than the one-year contract did. Everyone knows the option isn't there to be exercised so if they wanted to sign him to a long-term deal after this season it's not like he'd be offended they didn't take the option instead. They'll just sit down and negotiate the long-term contract like it's not even there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So basically Reggie made a deal that the ownership wasn't happy with and the ownership used the physical to get out of the deal? Oh well Raiders, guess you'll find out what happens when you can't reach the cap floor because no one will sign with you.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Wesley Walker posted:

It seems to discourage the idea of turning this into a long-term thing, but that probably wasn't gonna happen anyway. Likewise with the franchise tag, no way they would've tried it with Revis anyway.

The positive for the Patriots is this gives some breathing room for more signings right now.

If they both want to turn it into a long term deal they will just restructure. The only purpose this serves is to split the signing bonus over two years.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

Toymachine posted:

Me, you, Christ and Volk would have that franchise in the playoffs in 2015.

They gotta sign Mack now and move Wiz to guard or something. I cringe at the thought of drafting a LT with Clowney or Bridgewater still on the board.

Gentlemen, it's the Raiders. They need someone who just boozes it up and makes hosed up decisions. So I will volunteer for that position in this new and improved franchise. Also you need the clueless Euro-Perspective.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sproles move is wonderful. We have someone to capably spell Shady while simultaneously fixing our special teams. Our offense will be scarier than ever since our backs do very different things, so you'll definitely see them on the field at the same time. I guess this means Chip feels the same way about Bryce Brown as I do. A shame.

Our new dolfan corner seems like a fine depth move, which means Howie really is aiming for league average for the start of next season and hoping the draft churns out a couple of starters late in the season for that playoff push. It's a good day to be an Eagles fan.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Panthers' Hixon is going to the Bears.

Down to LaFell and Ginn. Let's make this complete and go for a no WR all RB offense. Sports talk callers / Facebook continue to get angry at Newton for not being productive enough on offense.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

evilweasel posted:

They haven't yet let Edleman slip away, and given the offer I heard they gave him (about 4m a year for three years) it's not that they're not trying, it seems that Edleman (reasonably) thinks he can get a better offer with his gaudy stats from last year and probably get overpaid. I think it may not work out because while I love Edleman, I don't think he's quite as good as his stats made him look that year, and I think both he and the Patriots know it. He wants to see if someone will overpay because this is his best chance to get paid and he's got to seize it, and the Patriots don't want to overpay. I still hope they get a deal done and think it's possible because I think Edleman is more valuable to the Patriots than to anyone else, and so it's the best place for him to end up and they can make the highest sensible offer. But it only takes one idiot to pay him much more than he's worth to the Patriots.

The biggest problem Brady seemed to have with his receivers is that he'd never worked with them before, and just wasn't on the same page with most of them a lot of the time. That's not a problem you can solve through free agency. Hopefully last year's rookies are more in sync with Brady now, hopefully Gronk manages to stay healthy through the end of the season, maybe Amendola stays healthy. That's the best way they'll solve the problem of not being on the same page. The talent could definitely be upgraded around him, but you're getting into cap tradeoffs there and I'd want to see what they'd have to give up to sign Smith or some other great free agent WR.

I am totally in agreement regarding the worth of Edleman to us outweighing his actual worth to other teams. I am also fairly certain some other team will be stupid and over pay him by quite a bit. I don't know what we offered him, but word was that he and his agent found it 'an offer that was very easy to walk away from'. It's not that I think Edleman is a world beater, but I do think our receiving corps is weaker without him.

In terms of Brady's problems last year, I do think a lot had to do with him not being comfortable with them, but I also believe a talented vet could probably come in and mesh quicker than a group of rookies. It also has the plus of not having the Pats entirely rely on Amendola's groin staying attached or for Gronk to not have something break/tear yet again.

Either way, I love the Revis signing and would trade Talib for Revis 10 out of 10 times, with those two contracts. I was hoping we would sign Browner too but that may not happen. He's visiting the Redskins and I expect them to make a significant offer.

Dr. Foom
Jul 5, 2007

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Blitz7x posted:

This could get real, real sad

Gonna go ahead and join you guys on the Appalachian Trail until the draft. There is no joy to be had here.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Blitz7x posted:

This could get real, real sad

I find this hard to believe considering the Raiders have a few minority owners who are billionaire hedge fund managers and Wall Street investors. Al was smart enough to sell off like 49% of the team so he would remain in control of decisions.

Also, every NFL has more money than god. Even the "poorest" teams. The Raiders last year's operating income was higher than teams who had been shilling out big contracts like the Lions, Jags and Cardinals.

As much as my opinion of McKenzie has diminished this offseason, I truly believe the team was set on signing Saffold. Hell, they've been talking to him since the pre-FA negotiation period started and even flew his folks in yesterday for the contract signing.

What most likely happened is they brought him in this weekend, checked his knee and pecs (past injuries), he turned out fine but probably mentioned something about his shoulder, then when it came to signing the contract the Raiders didn't feel comfortable dishing out $42 mil for a guy who needs to go to surgery ASAP. Maybe the Rams felt comfortable with him playing guard with a busted shoulder, but if the Raiders meant for him to play LT I could see their reasoning.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

davecrazy posted:

Does little Davis realize he could be a billionaire if he sold the team?

I hope it comes out that Mark Davis did the same thing Randy Lerner did when his dad died and left him the team; promise that he won't sell it for 10 years even when he was clearly unfit to run it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I take it the Browner visit to NE turned up nothing?

Also, has Blount's camp released anything about a new deal or is he gone?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
This might be a dumb question but how are bonuses paid out? I assumed the team had a bank account of sorts from which these funds are issued. Are the owners responsible for paying these? For teams with minority owners are the minority owners required to chip in X amount of dollars depending on what their ownership level is?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apparently Henry Melton is visiting the Vikings today. I guess Zimmer is known for heavily rotating his D-line but I figured they would be adding some depth in the draft instead of signing another guy and hoping he can recover from a knee injury.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

I take it the Browner visit to NE turned up nothing?

Browner's visiting New England and Washington today.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Jets apparently going after signing former Lions TE Brandon Pettigrew

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 9m

I'm told free-agent TE Brandon Pettigrew will have a deal in place with a team shortly. #nyj

I like it. Looks like they won't go TE in the draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Spotrac Premium @spotracPremium
After two days, ONE team remains without a free agent signing....#Texans http://bit.ly/1evbL6q #NFLFreeAgency
7:16 AM - 13 Mar 2014

Yup

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

After two days, ONE team remains without a free agent signing....#Texans http://bit.ly/1evbL6q #NFLFreeAgency

Yup

They probably are avoiding FA after what happened last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Looks like I missed the bus, the Texans have signed Garrett Graham to a new deal

So they've made one FA move and it was to sign their backup TE (though he'll be starting now)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Intruder posted:

Yup

Still doing better than the Raiders

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Asnorban posted:

Panthers' Hixon is going to the Bears.

Down to LaFell and Ginn. Let's make this complete and go for a no WR all RB offense. Sports talk callers / Facebook continue to get angry at Newton for not being productive enough on offense.

Is there another QB of Cam's caliber that has less to work with? Christ. I think Ginn is supposed to be retained, at least. They're just letting him shop around for whatever reason.

Besides Nicks, are there any other free agent WRs the Panthers have been linked to? Wouldn't mind seeing Sidney Rice in the Carolinas again, and I'm sure he'd come cheap.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

This might be a dumb question but how are bonuses paid out? I assumed the team had a bank account of sorts from which these funds are issued. Are the owners responsible for paying these? For teams with minority owners are the minority owners required to chip in X amount of dollars depending on what their ownership level is?

I'm assuming it's like any other business. You put in X amount for Y% of the ownership. Then they split some part of the profits depending on ownership percentage and put some money back into the team. Then they pay out the bonuses, labor wages, stadium bills, etc. with that.

I'm sure that rumor started because the Raiders are the lowest valued NFL team. But that's due to market size, the NFL's smallest stadium, years of poo poo play and unsold tickets and the resurgence of the 9ers (steals fairweather fans). Not because Mark Davis is broke. The Lions were the only team who had a negative income in 2013 and they're fine signing players.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Professor Funk posted:

Jets apparently going after signing former Lions TE Brandon Pettigrew

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 9m

I'm told free-agent TE Brandon Pettigrew will have a deal in place with a team shortly. #nyj

I like it. Looks like they won't go TE in the draft.

Good signing. Has some groan worthy drops but he's a great blocker.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RumbleFish posted:

Is there another QB of Cam's caliber that has less to work with?

Tom Brady

e: unless you meant someone around the same caliber as Cam in which case probably not.

e2: Maybe Rivers, actually

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Intruder posted:

Yup
I don't know that the Texans should be doing much of anything outside of studying the gently caress out of the upcoming draft.

I guess they could talk about bringing back Ben Tate but they really should just move on there as well.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Texans are gonna have to sign Watt to a monster extension soon right?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Good signing. Has some groan worthy drops but he's a great blocker.

The trick is to force him to make a spectacular catch. He is a terrific blocker.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Browner's visiting New England and Washington today.

I really hope he ends up in NE over Washington.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

They'll exercise his option and have him for two more years assuming he doesn't hold out. His big contract would probably come after next season unless they make Schaub a June 1 cut

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

^^ yeah, that's what I was remembering

Professor Funk posted:

After next year was the consensus on that, I think?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

After next year was the consensus on that, I think?

Technically they don't have to since they have him locked up until the 2016 offseason, but I would think they'd want to get him signed before he goes into his final year

The new CBA really fucks over rookies on that front though

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

FizFashizzle posted:

God this loving sucks.

Trigger warning, Nit Wit Dog poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_tk9MFKAVs

AUGHHHHH

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I really hope he ends up in NE over Washington.

If he's visiting DC, he's probably looking for a payday; NE has less to offer in the dolla bill department.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

The trick is to force him to make a spectacular catch. He is a terrific blocker.

Ah, the ol' Travis Taylor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WugLyfe posted:

If he's visiting DC, he's probably looking for a payday; NE has less to offer in the dolla bill department.

I thought Washington was still hosed financially as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

Looks like I missed the bus, the Texans have signed Garrett Graham to a new deal

So they've made one FA move and it was to sign their backup TE (though he'll be starting now)

So the Garrett Graham deal is apparently for 3 years, no mention of $ yet

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I thought Washington was still hosed financially as well.

I suppose they are, my bad.

I wonder if NE will shell out, though. Seems like it's a big gamble if the league continues to be a dick to him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WugLyfe posted:

I suppose they are, my bad.

I wonder if NE will shell out, though. Seems like it's a big gamble if the league continues to be a dick to him.

Probably another one year prove it deal? Browner's aggression and flags combined with his suspension is probably enough to scare off most teams. I wouldn't be shocked if he took this opportunity to play for another contender and prove that he isn't just a product of the Seahawks defense. If he works out this season and doesn't get into trouble with the league again someone will offer him a real payday in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Professor Funk posted:

Well, if the Jets didn't sign any wide receivers, you would say "wow, how can Geno succeed with such a horrible receiving corps?" Now that they do sign a good to (maybe) very good receiver you say, "the receivers they sign won't succeed because Geno is throwing the ball!" So yeah, it's just not a very genuine way to argue "lol the Jets" (trust me, there are a million ways to do this effectively). Not every team is blessed enough to have Tom Brady. Most are trying to find a good quarterback -- surrounding your QB with talent is one way to help him get to that point!

Other things that were wrong with your post: you ignored Jeremy Kerley, who is a legit good #2 receiver; you discounted the fact that Chris Ivory was one of the best tailbacks in football the second half of the season; you ignored the fact that the Jets are likely to sign James Jones in the very near future; you basically equated Santonio Holmes and Eric Decker production/skill wise; and you forgot that it's literally the third day of free-agency.

Edit: This sounds a lot more angry than I meant it to sound. Maybe I'm still traumatized by the Revis thing.

It does sound a little angry, but I forgive you anyway.

I didn't mean to make it sound like they shouldn't sign him because they don't have a QB and are missing other pieces. I'm just saying that this is probably going to be a rough year for Decker and the rest of the Jets' offense unless they make a lot of other moves to shore things up on offense. I forgot about Kerley, but I did specifically mention Ivory. However, saying he was one of the best runners in the second half of the season is kind of a stretch, especially considering the quality of the opponents they faced in the second half of the year. Also, he has a history of durability woes and suffered ankle, hip and hamstrung issues just last season alone. Planning a backfield around Ivory is probably not the best plan. The guy is only 25 and already he has to have his carries limited.

Anyway, you're right it's too early to be judging any team's offseason moves. I was just trying to keep some perspective on how much further I think the Jets have to go.

• Locked thread