Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Lucky Raccoon posted:

So I had that magic moment where a character just clicks, when I picked up 3.0 Zelda for the first time. Does she have any specific AT I should know about?

I lean pretty heavily on Din's Fire to make backboards and link jab/dash attack to UAir after they bounce back off the projectile.

Learn to nail her Fair, it's like a high-heel powered falcon knee :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Lucky Raccoon posted:

So I had that magic moment where a character just clicks, when I picked up 3.0 Zelda for the first time. Does she have any specific AT I should know about?

I lean pretty heavily on Din's Fire to make backboards and link jab/dash attack to UAir after they bounce back off the projectile.

Zelda is one of those characters who encourages the 'wrong' way to play. Her roll is better than her wavedash. Spot-dodge, and special moves are all really good. You can up-B onto the stage without punishment because it's invisible. L-cancelling is useful but you can do well without it.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

LanceKing2200 posted:

Learn to nail her Fair, it's like a high-heel powered falcon knee :black101:

Oh, I transitioned from Ivy to Zelda so all those sweet spot moves transferred over p quickly. There's nothing like getting KO'd and immediately nailing the Fair or Bair while still in invincibility for the momentum stealing kill.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'd like to keep this thread alive, as it seems pointless discussing PM in the main smash thread now. Project M has been getting some use at Apex this year, you can check out the winner's bracket for PM matches from day two at Twitch; there's some great play there. It's encouraged me to actually sit down and learn how to play comepetitively - I've never really used or understood L-cancelling and some of the finer points of competitive play, so I'm interested in getting an edge.

You might not be aware, but Project M's been updated to 3.02. This one (and 3.01) are mostly just bugfixes and optimizations - AI has been updated some more, the issue of lag from alternative costumes like Mr. L appears to have been fixed, and minor changes have been made to characters. The new versions also feature a launcher you can use to play and update the game.

edit: oh, and perhaps the biggest change: support for >2GB SDHC cards!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 19, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Incorrect: The biggest change is giving Ganondorf his "win on suicide over-B" back.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Skisonic doesn't play any games...!

The Narrator posted:

You might not be aware, but Project M's been updated to 3.02. This one (and 3.01) are mostly just bugfixes and optimizations - AI has been updated some more, the issue of lag from alternative costumes like Mr. L appears to have been fixed, and minor changes have been made to characters. The new versions also feature a launcher you can use to play and update the game.

edit: oh, and perhaps the biggest change: support for >2GB SDHC cards!

Oh poo poo!!! I guess getting that 2gb card wasnt that big of a waste but whatever

whalestory fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 19, 2014

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013
my project M keeps crashing on dolphin... I assumed that it was common but according to my friend, his doesn't crash. Ever. I tried every single "hook type" (whatever they are) and it still crashes randomly. First the sound goes off for a few seconds but lets me continue playing, and then the game crashes.

any ideas?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
L-canceling is extremely tedious and pointless, I wish they would remove it/make it automatic or at least make it an optional setting so people can play the way they want to play instead of trying to force them to play the "right" way. They made input buffering optional, there is absolutely no reason they can't do the same with L-canceling.

Are any of you PM players in the Seattle area?

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013

Anony Mouse posted:

L-canceling is extremely tedious and pointless, I wish they would remove it/make it automatic or at least make it an optional setting so people can play the way they want to play instead of trying to force them to play the "right" way. They made input buffering optional, there is absolutely no reason they can't do the same with L-canceling.

Are any of you PM players in the Seattle area?

L cancelling isn't even tedious if you work on it for a couple hours. I can't really argue against that it's pointless... I do enjoy games with entry barriers though...especially when I have passed that barrier :clint:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

L cancelling isn't even tedious if you work on it for a couple hours. I can't really argue against that it's pointless... I do enjoy games with entry barriers though...especially when I have passed that barrier :clint:
As other people have pointed out, there's no reason not to L-cancel every move, so you end up doing it dozens if not hundreds of times per match. Combined with how prevalent and effective "SHFFL"-ing is in the game means that you end up doing lots and lots and lots and lots of L-canceling, not just on certain moves, but on almost every single move. That is the very definition of tedium to me. I've been L-canceling since my Melee days so it's not like I don't have the muscle memory, I just think it's a needless pain in the rear end that I wish I could turn off.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 22, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

my project M keeps crashing on dolphin... I assumed that it was common but according to my friend, his doesn't crash. Ever. I tried every single "hook type" (whatever they are) and it still crashes randomly. First the sound goes off for a few seconds but lets me continue playing, and then the game crashes.

any ideas?

How are you running it? Did you inject the game into the .iso file?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Sire Oblivion posted:

How are you running it? Did you inject the game into the .iso file?

Virtual SD Card most likely, my Dolphin also crashed all the time so I just went and bought a used Wii for $35.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I never tried getting it working with a Virtual SD card because it seemed to be more of a pain in the rear end than it needs to be; the injection method worked drat well but you have to redo it with every release. Kind of annoying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tangentially related, does anyone have any advice for making my Wii boot straight to the Homebrew Channel? A friend of mine has his Wii set up to do it, but I can't reach him right now and it'd be nice with how much I move my system around these days to not have to care about the sensor bar.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Tangentially related, does anyone have any advice for making my Wii boot straight to the Homebrew Channel? A friend of mine has his Wii set up to do it, but I can't reach him right now and it'd be nice with how much I move my system around these days to not have to care about the sensor bar.

Hold down the reset button when you turn on the Wii, then go into the preloader and change the boot option.

Also, for anyone who wants this: Auto L-Cancel mod.

I came across it while I was looking for Project M 3.0 compatible stages and costumes.

I'm sorry in advance, both links go to reddit... :negative:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cadetcons posted:

I came across it while I was looking for Project M 3.0 compatible stages and costumes.
Whoa, this looks awesome, thanks a lot! I hope it's compatible with the latest 3.01 (or is it 3.02? their website is ambiguous) release of P:M (and doesn't have any weird bugs...)

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Anony Mouse posted:

Whoa, this looks awesome, thanks a lot! I hope it's compatible with the latest 3.01 (or is it 3.02? their website is ambiguous) release of P:M (and doesn't have any weird bugs...)

Whoaaaa! This does look awesome. What exactly do you replace in the original zip file? And also has anyone tried this yet?

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

PopZeus posted:

Whoaaaa! This does look awesome. What exactly do you replace in the original zip file? And also has anyone tried this yet?

Rename it to "RSBE01.gct" and replace the file of that name in your /codes/ folder. I would also back up the file that is in that folder so you can easily go back to the original codeset if you want.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a link to the auto L-cancel mod that should work in 3.02

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

any ideas?

I fixed it. Incase anybody wonders or have the same problem, I followed this guide http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1t4iab/project_m_30_netplay_guide/

also now I can play netplay with my friend! Really cool! Didn't even desync once yet!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

I fixed it. Incase anybody wonders or have the same problem, I followed this guide http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1t4iab/project_m_30_netplay_guide/

also now I can play netplay with my friend! Really cool! Didn't even desync once yet!

What hardware/settings are you using to run it? My i5 struggles with it a lot.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cadetcons posted:

Hold down the reset button when you turn on the Wii, then go into the preloader and change the boot option.

I'm sorry in advance, both links go to reddit... :negative:

Also, it looks like it will never be an offical option. So thanks for posting this.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I hate when people try to make Smash Bros into a fighting game, unless it's Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goUL-KQSn-E

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

F. Lobot posted:

I hate when people try to make Smash Bros into a fighting game

Now arguing that Smash is a competitive fighting game is one thing, but to argue that it's not even a fighting game is all sorts of ridiculous.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
So my friends and I have been playing this lately, and one thing that, competitively, is giving them trouble is defending against spikes. I have more experience with SSBM and playing at a competitive level, so occasionally I'll do something like throw them off the edge, hop out and spike them with some character (which is generally much more aggressive than they're used to). While I'm psyched when I pull this off, I can see how it's not really fun to have happen to you, especially at low percents.

What are some good strategies to defend against getting spiked? I was at a loss to come up with something more helpful than, don't get thrown off the stage, which I guessed would just seem patronizing. I'm trying to help them improve their game, and I don't want them to see it as some unbeatable cheap tactic and get demoralized.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

PopZeus posted:

So my friends and I have been playing this lately, and one thing that, competitively, is giving them trouble is defending against spikes. I have more experience with SSBM and playing at a competitive level, so occasionally I'll do something like throw them off the edge, hop out and spike them with some character (which is generally much more aggressive than they're used to). While I'm psyched when I pull this off, I can see how it's not really fun to have happen to you, especially at low percents.

What are some good strategies to defend against getting spiked? I was at a loss to come up with something more helpful than, don't get thrown off the stage, which I guessed would just seem patronizing. I'm trying to help them improve their game, and I don't want them to see it as some unbeatable cheap tactic and get demoralized.

Mix up come-backs, DI throws to not go directly into the meteor, up-b out of it depending on what character your playing. Tell them to try a character not named Falcon?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Characters with fast aerials with good hitboxes can challenge some spikes. Wario can up-B through most anything because the move's hitbox is so far above his actual body, for example. I couldn't list all the characters who can do this or which moves beat it (especially without knowing what moves you're using to spike), but it can't be hard to figure out if their characters can. Also, DI'ing is important - if you're throwing them off the ledge, they should probably DI even further away to make the spike more difficult (but mix it up sometimes, don't get predictable!). I guess a final thing is to see if they're still in a juggle/hitstun state; If they are, there's really nothing to defend against it beyond "don't get in that situation," which is a completely valid piece of advice and is only patronizing if you don't explain that getting your opponent to X percentage and putting them in a kill position is your reward for playing well and making good decisions, just like farming more efficiently in a MOBA will result in better levels and a stronger position.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PopZeus posted:

Teach them how to spike.

The best way to come up with counter strategies is to actually have them spike you as well, cause then you'll be in the save boat as them, trying to think of ways to stop that from happening. I mean, if they're not at that level of play themselves, then it's likely they wouldn't be able to pull off any counter measures you come up with until they are that good, anyway. That and I think spiking is up there as one of the more badass things you can do in Smash Bros that makes you feel like a complete pro at the game, which goes a long way towards making them more forgiving of being spiked themselves.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PopZeus posted:

At low percentages spikes will send you down so slowly your Up+B will basically negate it. When they see it coming just tell them to hold up and mash the ever loving poo poo out of B. Also tell them not to be predictable with their approach on stage, get used to dropping lower and sweet-spotting the ledge. Depending on the character they can also delay their recovery with multiple jumps (Kirby/Jigglypuff) and ruin your spike attempt or grab the ledge with a tethered Zair (Samus/Link) outside of the spike range.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds
The Smashbowl Project M Tournament is happening now, live from SoCal. It's still in pools so it'll be on for a while.

About spikes/meteors, keep in mind that some spike attacks cannot be interrupted beyond a moderate percent. Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong's down-airs can be recovered from while Marth and Falco's down-air cannot. In Project M you can mash up-B/jump/whatever to interrupt a meteor, but in Melee you needed a very specific timing or else it would fail, so now if you try and your character does nothing you can assume you were hit by a true spike (or you're at a very high percent where every attack is deadly).

EDIT: Did I mention Project M is now an official listed game on Twitch? How cool is that?

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 3, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Crossposting from the main Smash thread

quote:

Hey ya'll. My friends and I are going to a Smash (Brawl and P:M) tournament this afternoon, and you're all invited to watch! I'll be entering P:M singles and doubles (maybe, my group has an odd number of people so someone is either not playing or finding a random partner there) and hopefully going better than 1-2 like I did last time.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/rog48439
Schedule:
code:
All times EST
12:00 - Project M Singles Pools / Brawl Doubles Start
02:30 - Project M Singles Bracket Begins (Goes until Top 8)
04:00 - Brawl Singles Begins (Plays out entire event)
05:00 - Project M Doubles Bracket Starts
08:00 - Project M Top 8 (All Sets on Stream)
10:00 - Project M East MI vs West MI (If time permits)
I'm not sure which events will be streamed, but I think the focus is on P:M.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So I got a few questions regarding this as I'm about to download it later tonight.

1.is it possible to remove some of the Project M stages and retain the SSBB ones? because I really want to play on the wario ware stage that still uses the minigames sometimes.

2.when adding custom music can you add them to Project M exclusive stages?

3.When replacing a piece of music in SSBB does the new music have its proper title in the my-music section?

It's just these little things I need some clarifying on, and would be a big help :shobon:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pixeltendo posted:

So I got a few questions regarding this as I'm about to download it later tonight.

1.is it possible to remove some of the Project M stages and retain the SSBB ones? because I really want to play on the wario ware stage that still uses the minigames sometimes.

2.when adding custom music can you add them to Project M exclusive stages?

3.When replacing a piece of music in SSBB does the new music have its proper title in the my-music section?

It's just these little things I need some clarifying on, and would be a big help :shobon:

Yes, yes, and you'll have to do a little leg work, but you can have that too.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Brawlcustommusic.com is a good place to start. You can see the file names for the project M stages.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

Is this a simple process? I don't care if my copy is tournament legit, and a couple of the edits were disappointing. Loved to see all the old stages that came back though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is this a simple process? I don't care if my copy is tournament legit, and a couple of the edits were disappointing. Loved to see all the old stages that came back though.

It's as simple as figuring out what stages replace what and deleting those files off your SD card.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The new game is fun and I'm enjoying listening to the bitchin soundtrack I added to the game :cool: who knew Castlevania Dawn of sorrows Pitch-Black intrusion worked so well on Luigi's Mansion.

I hope they plan on adding some of the more fun melee stages back too, I want Pokefloats and SMB2 dammit.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

So I might as well throw this to the masses while news is slow.

A few weeks ago there was a 'leak' on 4chan. It had some design documents, including a list of 5 planned characters to complete the roster using the coveted 'clone engine'.

One of those characters was Knuckles, so it's either fake or just various members slinging poo poo at the wall (placeholders). I won't even entertain it.

However, someone also posted this:

Sami from Advance Wars. Good attention to detail and it captures the sprites well enough, but what does it mean? Nothing, actually. It's been publicly available since 2013 on the portfolio site of a guy who's no longer on the team: http://www.vaanrose.com/portfolio-sami.html Right next to the Duck Hunt Dog and a Snorlax with realistic fur.

It might still be real, I personally downloaded a prototype of the current Roy model to put over Marth back in 2012, and I had no idea that I was holding TOP SECRET MOD ASSETS because it was hiding in plain sight on the Brawlvault. We can't really know until they announce it.

Anyway, thought? Speculations? Characters you'd like added? I'd be really happy to see an Advance Wars character, but I'd rather have Andy or both as clones.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well, that Sami model is quite sick, no lie. I never really got into Advance Wars, but I'm sure they could do something neat for the character. I wonder what they'd do for voices, just find someone they thought was appropriate who was willing to do it?

I'd personally love to see Isaac show up, though again I didn't play a lot of Golden Sun, I just think a magic user who isn't a zoner like Zelda could be cool. Comedy Geno response (put in Geno).

Banjo-Kazooie could be really cool and have a pretty obvious moveset (as well as plenty of voice samples to use). I'm sure people would go bananas for Waluigi but I'm pretty indifferent at this point and we probably don't need another Mario character when the skies the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Countblanc posted:

Banjo-Kazooie could be really cool and have a pretty obvious moveset (as well as plenty of voice samples to use).

You probably know this already, but this almost certainly will never happen in Project M. Banjo-Kazooie's no longer a Nintendo property, and to add to that they've had no appearances at all in the series so I'm not sure that would abide to the guidelines Project M said they'd keep to.

We can dream though :smith:

I'm not really familiar with Sami or Advance Wars at all. All I know about the series is that it's tactical/strategy 'modern' war... Is that correct? Anyone care to speculate how she would hypothetically play?

• Locked thread