Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Didn't they fire the guy who was ordering all the crappy DTV poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Byzantine posted:

Didn't they fire the guy who was ordering all the crappy DTV poo poo?

Haha that's just one guy? How does that even work?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Kraps posted:

Haha that's just one guy? How does that even work?

It was Eisner.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Das Boo posted:

It was Eisner.

Heh, wiki says he stepped down, partly because 43% of Disney's shareholders said he was poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Macaluso posted:

To be totally fair to Disney, there hasn't been a straight to DVD sequel to Bolt, Princess & the Frog, Tangled or Wreck-it Ralph. The most you can say is that Tangled had a (pretty funny) short about Flynn and Rapunzel's wedding. So perhaps Frozen is safe as well, even despite how ridiculously good it's doing

Unlike most disney movies however, I think there's room left at the end for a real sequel that could actually be released in theater, rather than some direct to dvd shlock.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kraps posted:

Heh, wiki says he stepped down, partly because 43% of Disney's shareholders said he was poo poo.

He made a ton of money for the company though. They have their fingers in more pies than you can imagine.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

effectual posted:

He made a ton of money for the company though. They have their fingers in more pies than you can imagine.

He started out great, making them lots of money and lots of good moves. He even decided to step into Walt's shoes and be on TV like Walt used to.

Then he started going a little bonkers after the death of his co-CEO Frank Wells. The last straw was him telling Pixar to get hosed when they asked for more money. That's what turned the board against him, which is why the guy who replaced him went and bought Pixar outright as his first order of business.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Why are DAS and Pixar still separate entities though? Wouldn't it make sense to pool them together?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, they have different organizations and even a different corporate culture. Plus, the different names have different associations. I wrote a bit about that for my end-of-year animation review but it was cut for length (rightfully).

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

Pick posted:

I wrote a bit about that for my end-of-year animation review but it was cut for length (rightfully).

Would it be possible for us to have a look at that piece?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Since I can’t give you an actual answer, I’m going to end with something else to chew on: the relationship between Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Remember what I said about the pressure to be both nostalgic and novel? Intentionally or not, Disney Animation Studios got “nostalgic”—that’s straight-up Disney brand language—and Pixar got “novel”. It’s the solution to the Poochie problem. If you want nostalgia with a little novelty, you go Disney, and if you want novelty with a little nostalgia, you go Pixar. At least, that’s the marketing angle.

This allows both studios to prioritize, which ostensibly is good for both, but I can’t help but feel Disney leveraged this phenomenon more effectively. Pixar is under tremendous pressure to make you re-think your life, and Disney gets to just refine the art of the simple story. Need proof? Compare the critical reception of Cars 2 (38% RT) and Bolt (88% RT). Now, I have my issues with Cars 2—mostly that it pretentiously presumes that children want the same thing in their movies as adults, but just aren’t cool enough for it yet—but that’s absurd. Cars 2 is simple, but streamlined and enjoyable. Same as Bolt. However, that’s “the death-knell” of Pixar and a generic thumbs-up for Disney, respectively? Please.

Expectations of Pixar have become somewhat absurd and, for many adults, almost selfish. Critical reception of Pixar films is decreasing as average enjoyment as ranked by children increases. Plus, the increased scrutiny doesn’t end there. Pixar films are picked apart for potentially questionable themes, such as the brouhaha over Brave’s “lesbian” Princess Merida, a bizarre conclusion based solely on the fact that she doesn’t want to marry some stranger she hasn’t even spoken to. Frozen is leagues more available to that interpretation (beyond what it actually presents, certainly) but there’s hardly been a peep. Oh no, not in a Disney movie. If they’d simply switched the studio labels before the feature, I’d bet good money they’d both have experienced the opposite treatment. Pixar has become an odd sort of shield, as the audience seems to presume anything actually groundbreaking will come from them first.

I wrote this a while ago and don't want to re-ignite the "queer reading" crap, I'm just talking about how the media initially addressed both.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Now, I have my issues with Cars 2—mostly that it pretentiously presumes that children want the same thing in their movies as adults, but just aren’t cool enough for it yet—but that’s absurd. Cars 2 is simple, but streamlined and enjoyable.
I have to take issue with this. Cars 2 sucked from both a kids and a parents point of view. The completely unnecessary inclusion of a surprising amount of violence, the less universal themes, the concern with crafting action sequences over story all made it a bomb in my house. And I was forced to watch the original Cars every goddamn Saturday night for probably a year and a half straight by my oldest. I think we saw Cars 2 maybe three or four times total, though the youngest did love Finn McMissle and Fransisco Berniulli as characters/action figures, the movie was just not a must watch like the original Cars was.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Charlz Guybon posted:

5: Maleficent busts out of hell, leading a legion of the damned and Elsa has to lead an army of snow golems and napoleonic style soldiers to stop her. :colbert:

5, yes, let's go 5, if only because I love the Napoleonic era warfare

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SocketWrench posted:

5, yes, let's go 5, if only because I love the Napoleonic era warfare

I want to see a line of snow golems slowly march towards a line of demons, pausing to throw trees every so often.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like that to the audience, it was obvious that Elsa's golem wasn't out to hurt Anna and Kristoff. All he was doing was wanting to shout DON'T COME BACK at you real loud, no need to cut the rope, Anna. :smith:

browne1928
Nov 26, 2013

Bishop! GOD DAMN YOU!
Hey this is pretty cool.

http://www.cambio.com/2014/03/17/le...26pLid%3D454657

browne1928 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 18, 2014

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Not to be calling you out specifically or anything, but I've noticed this happening alot ever since I installed a NoScript add-on, that links are getting weird.
Like, you're not really linking to that for the "less than a third graders book report" article, you're posting for the video. But that site is filled with all this extra poo poo it wants me to load, when I can literally just go to my search bar, type in "let it go" and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbPszSt5Pc

Fourth search result for something probably searched for every fifteen seconds.
I only even bring this up, cause I've been finding that I generally don't like the remakes/mixes/parodies of this. I'll take the actual song, I'll take Idina singing it, I'll even take Adele singing it. But the covers just bug the poo poo out of me. Like take this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28L2VaILzH8
You guys gave her a bunch of poo poo for technical fuckery during the oscars, but nothing for this piece of garbage?
I was going to link to the ultimate annoyance that is the Demi Lovato version, but I refuse to give it one extra view.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Also, the link posted for Disney/Pixar character's sing let it go is not available in Canada. It's on youtube though, when you look for it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As a reminder, this is officially out today on Bluray and DVD, at least in America. So go buy it, dummies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Rewatching this again on blu-ray and I can't help but wonder how much better this movie would be if the design work wasn't so painfully bland. Elsa looks like she stepped out of a Barbie DTV movie, all the characters have generic Disney faces and there's way too much blue.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Crappy Jack posted:

As a reminder, this is officially out today on Bluray and DVD, at least in America. So go buy it, dummies.
I bought it yesterday. I love it. gently caress you haters.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I loved this movie and also loved the two Arrested Development references

The chicken dance and "sandwiches"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The bonus feature about the making of Frozen was spectacular.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Strangely the thing that bugged me most about this movie was Kristoff just casually biting a chunk off of a carrot that had been in Sven's mouth and was covered in reindeer drool. Holy poo poo.

The rest of the movie was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bugged me about the movie was Hans being evil. It just came off as "we need a villain."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bugged me about the movie was Hans being evil. It just came off as "we need a villain."

It isn't.

It's an intentional takedown of the "love at first sight prince charming" concept which is often pushed as an idealized good thing. Anna's entire opening song fits in a Disney movie because "meet my prince charming and fall in love instantly" is normally portrayed as a good thing and Hans being evil is a pretty straightforward takedown of how Prince Charming isn't an inherently good thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They could have still done that without him being evil. It would have still worked if it was just a repetition of Kristoff's line about how knowing someone for one day isn't true love.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

They could have still done that without him being evil. It would have still worked if it was just a repetition of Kristoff's line about how knowing someone for one day isn't true love.

I dunno, a stark warning that sometimes

People who you think, who you want to think love you are just manipulative shits isn't out of line.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the opposite is kind of limp-dicked.

By the way, someone was mentioning how women in these movies never get two good-guy options. Ferngully--bam! She even ends up with her original boyfriend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That seems really weak and cowardly to me. Instead of the more meaningful "hey, sometimes a guy can seem like Prince Charming but is just a manipulative shithead and not what they appear" it becomes "Hey, sometimes a guy seems like Prince Charming and actually is Prince Charming, but it doesn't really work out."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also it leaves us with the Duke as the real villain? That's a little ridiculous. And there needs to be a character like that or Elsa has no reason to abscond.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

That seems really weak and cowardly to me. Instead of the more meaningful "hey, sometimes a guy can seem like Prince Charming but is just a manipulative shithead and not what they appear" it becomes "Hey, sometimes a guy seems like Prince Charming and actually is Prince Charming, but it doesn't really work out."

Well I think the latter situation is probably more likely for most girls irl and would also be a good message (not every guy is pure good/evil!). And not every movie needs a villain, I've seen some great ones without one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

effectual posted:

Well I think the latter situation is probably more likely for most girls irl and would also be a good message (not every guy is pure good/evil!). And not every movie needs a villain, I've seen some great ones without one.

The former is a horrifying and depressingly common situation. not a Literal Prince of course but the basic idea is pretty common in real life and infinitely more likely to end badly compared to an awkward but amicable breakup, Also society (and Disney Movies) are a lot more likely to push the "one true love prince charming" angle which makes it more useful to be counterpointed in a Disney movie.

You can do amicable breakups. The Lego Movie did it. It wouldn't have really be appropriate for this film or the idea they were going for.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 21, 2014

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Crappy Jack posted:

Bought it this evening, but I must be an idiot because I can't find these deleted scenes or the apparently super-cool "making of" feature anywhere. Are they only on the Blu-ray disc, not the DVD? If so, that sucks pretty hard, since I don't have a Blu-ray player. I guess it's probably also on the digital HD copy that I'm downloading now, but I didn't intend to be watching this on my little laptop screen...

Edit: vvv Dammit.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 22, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just about every single customer that comes into my store and co-worker is talking and raving about this movie. It is seriously crazy. WDAS must be making GBS threads themselves over how good this movie is doing

surf rock posted:

Bought it this evening, but I must be an idiot because I can't find these deleted scenes or the apparently super-cool "making of" feature anywhere. Are they only on the Blu-ray disc, not the DVD? If so, that sucks pretty hard, since I don't have a Blu-ray player. I guess it's probably also on the digital HD copy that I'm downloading now, but I didn't intend to be watching this on my little laptop screen...

Yep. This is basically how it is in general now. If you want actual special features most of the time you gotta get the blu-ray. Which means investing in a blu-ray player.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Man I loving hated this movie. It was so god drat boring. The antagonist wasn't introduced into the story until well over an hour had passed. What the hell were they thinking? No stakes, no consequences, no drama. Just character A, chasing character B for over an hour. What happens if she fails to find her? Nothing really. What happens if she does find her? Nothing.

Once an antagonist actually showed up the movie turned out ok. Too bad there was only about 20 minutes left at that point. The "true love" twist at the end was pretty cool though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

What happens if she fails to find her? Nothing really.

I haven't even seen this movie and I know that if they don't find her it's winter forever, no?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Phylodox posted:

I haven't even seen this movie and I know that if they don't find her it's winter forever, no?

Yes, literally everybody in the kingdom is freezing to death and running out of food because crops don't grow, and they're cut off from the rest of the world because they can't get boats in or out due to the ice. But yeah, totally no stakes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, and the people are freezing to death which is normally a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pick posted:

Yeah, and the people are freezing to death which is normally a problem.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes, literally everybody in the kingdom is freezing to death and running out of food because crops don't grow, and they're cut off from the rest of the world because they can't get boats in or out due to the ice. But yeah, totally no stakes.

Do these people not even have central heating or something? And so what if there's no crops? You guys are acting like they don't even have Pizza Hut in Arendelle, sheesh.

• Locked thread