Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Love Stole the Day posted:

Whoever is responsible for the Bingo Fuel single player mission is a terrible human being and should die in a fire.

By following the rules of the game I have spent the past 4 loving hours in what I am quickly realizing is a no win scenario. It is literally impossible to win this mission, I swear. If anyone cares, I'll explain and try to post the save file. I just wanted to vent somewhere..

I just went through that mission and there is pretty awful scripting there.

Basically go to the location of the fuel truck and get in and it will set off the next scripted event. Afterwards you go to the next place. Have that ai squad clear the armor. Then setup in the construction building and plink away at Iranians. Go in New fuel truck and ignore Miller. Go back to original fuel truck area and stock up on at on your ai squad. Find a place along convoy route and destroy convoy. Then drive the full fuel truck to victory.

Just be aware you have to manage dumb ai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That mission felt like it could have easily been split into two. It definitely drug on wayyyyy too long.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GoldenNugget posted:

I just went through that mission and there is pretty awful scripting there.

Basically go to the location of the fuel truck and get in and it will set off the next scripted event. Afterwards you go to the next place. Have that ai squad clear the armor. Then setup in the construction building and plink away at Iranians. Go in New fuel truck and ignore Miller. Go back to original fuel truck area and stock up on at on your ai squad. Find a place along convoy route and destroy convoy. Then drive the full fuel truck to victory.

Just be aware you have to manage dumb ai.

Alternative solution:
  • Destroy the tracks of the enemy tank at the start of the mission to make the crew bail, then murder them.

• Steal repair truck from nearby camp to fix it up.

• Cause unholy carnage across the island with your rolling death machine

• Bother with the mission once all opposition is dead

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Slashrat posted:

Alternative solution:
  • Destroy the tracks of the enemy tank at the start of the mission to make the crew bail, then murder them.

Haha make your own rules.

I forgot that after the first fuel truck there's this rear end in a top hat apc on top of a hill that you have to kill or you'll get murdered on the way to the new fuel truck. It's facing away from you so you can place explosives on it and then have your ai kill the crew as they bail.

At least the end was fun for me having four at rockets heading towards the convoy at once. Though my ai was dumb and didn't hit the first vehicle so I had to do that myself.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 20, 2014

alr
May 14, 2009
I've been spoiled by playing DCS, this new A-10 sounds bad and the gun doesn't have the party mix, it's just a bunch of normal 30mm spat out really fast that can't kill a tank. You also can't look over your dudes shoulder and see the giant blenders, the seat is in the way. :( CSAT jet has really good engine power, it's the only plane with enough thrust to keep it pointed vertically, and you can keep it turning in circles without stalling since it holds steady at around 350km/h or so.

alr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 20, 2014

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Alternative solution:

This is what I did as well. I told one AI squadmate to take the commander seat, another to drive the repair truck, and told the rest to stay put.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is it normal to only be able to place one manual save per campaign mission, or am I doing something wrong? I stupidly placed a save moments before getting shot, and the last autosave was several minutes earlier.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

Is it normal to only be able to place one manual save per campaign mission, or am I doing something wrong? I stupidly placed a save moments before getting shot, and the last autosave was several minutes earlier.
Depends on the difficulty level I think. Just customize the difficulty in options and select "unlimited saves".

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I spent another 3 hours after my previous post before saying gently caress this game and looking up how to just skip the mission via cheatcodes.

Now onto Win/Game Over,

It seems that you're supposed to die at first glance becuase it'll just say "The End." Furthermore, the game is pretty much doing a Metal Gear Solid 2 ending with us considering the credit roll before the mission starts.

I'm trying to get into the dome for the optional objective right now but it's pretty stupid because there's only one way in and that's through at least 4 guys: 2 in front and 2 hiding off to the left..

Edit: literally right after i post this and replay the mission, all of a sudden the walls around the dome are knocked over... wtf.

Edit again: made it into the dome thing... it's a waste of time. He just stands there and says herpderp look at all this seismic poo poo wonder what it says...

Edit#3: I am so disappointed with this campaign...

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 21, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was about to power through that dumb fuel mission too. I still want to play Win but I want to skip the fuel truck mission.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I think we can all agree that fuel truck mission is a load of poo poo. Going to use MCC to beat it quick so I can finally see the ending.

VVVVV I only think this one level is bullshit. I'd buy the game again given the amount of fun I'm getting out of it.

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 22, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

I think we can all agree that fuel truck mission is a load of poo poo. Going to use MCC to beat it quick so I can finally see the ending.

Prepare for disappointment and anger at the game developers/designers robbing you of a full experience. If Steam weren't so stubborn on getting refunds, I'd demand one for this game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

VVVVV I only think this one level is bullshit. I'd buy the game again given the amount of fun I'm getting out of it.

It's one of the best missions.

Get good.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Alternative solution:

Yeah, this is one of the most quintessential things about Arma's "openness", which ironically is why some people didn't like SURVIVE for being more tightly scripted than usual to not allow for situations like this.

By the way, if anyone wants to do some playtesting of JDAMs, John_Spartan and Saul's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet mod has a "development" version with tweaks to the JDAM 'ammo' config and to the vehicle config for an "invisible GPS target marker", both of which "should allow much bigger stand off range with JDAM's than initial GPS targeting system version" than in the current v1.6 stable version -- most significantly, "you don't need to wait for "tone" or "dimond". So once you have lock "square" acquired [which depends on your view distance for objects] bomb can be released. JDAM's will auto track target and lock automatically during the flight [adjusting the flight path effectively within 5km range of target]."

Also, check out the most recent screenshots of Sakura_Chan's MV-22 Osprey enhanced (i.e. model changes to match more recent Osprey appearances) port:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 22, 2014

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Chortles posted:

Also, check out the most recent screenshots of Sakura_Chan's MV-22 Osprey enhanced (i.e. model changes to match more recent Osprey appearances) port:

This is looking really good. I really hope he doesn't get burnt out on that like he did the C130J. I'd love to see both released. The Osprey is so drat cool!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
So I went back to the 7Cav server on a different profile account and after an hour of mortar fun I see 7Cav people harrassing this 12 year old kid with a British accent who's being polite and proper with his radio use (all tactical and whatnot -- announcing takeoffs, letting people know ETAs, asking for permission to bomb, etc...). The admins start harrassing him to get on TS3 and whatnot (just like they did me when they banned me last time) and so I report the admin that's reporting the kid for breaking his own server rule about harrassment.

The admin then just straight up bans me. :shepface:

This game's community admins are loving terrible. The kid was doing nothing wrong and the second I stand up for him against the Admin's bullshit I just get banned. Exact same situation that happened last time as well, except instead of me being the pilot I was the one standing up for the kid this time.

The game itself is fun to some extent while being also frustrating enough with all of the constant freezing, stuttering, lagging, and extremely disappointing single player campaign... but then when I go online to play multiplayer with a bunch of other people I have to deal with this poo poo as well?

:negative:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Makky posted:

This is looking really good. I really hope he doesn't get burnt out on that like he did the C130J. I'd love to see both released. The Osprey is so drat cool!
For him it might also be the fact that as good as his C-130J looked, other modders are doing up C-130s as well, while the MV-22 is comparatively "more niche".

As far as how to target a location instead of a vehicle with the aforementioned Super Hornet development version's JDAMs:

87th_Neptune on the BI forums posted:

1. Open the GPS targeting system through the action menu
2. Click on the Set target button
3. Fly within 2.5km of the intended target and lock it up (Square)
4. Setup for your attack and release the bomb (no need to wait for the diamond)

Step 3 kinda defeats the purpose of the JDAM though

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'd rather ignore you and just move on, but instead I'm going to point out the thing that you don't seem to have understood the past 13 times its been said to you.

Their server, Their rules.

If you don't like it, don't play on their server, but for the love of god stop whining in here about it.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Prepare for disappointment and anger at the game developers/designers robbing you of a full experience. If Steam weren't so stubborn on getting refunds, I'd demand one for this game.

Sounds like your expectations for this game are pretty sideways. I feel like if you did any research at all on this purchase it would have been glaringly obvious that this game isn't your average FPS with an enthralling story and 8 multiplayer maps. It's definitely not for everyone but what the heck were you expecting?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dude should have just gotten on their teamspeak lmbo. But seriously dude nobody really cares.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I went back to the 7Cav server on a different profile account and after an hour of mortar fun I see 7Cav people harrassing this 12 year old kid with a British accent who's being polite and proper with his radio use (all tactical and whatnot -- announcing takeoffs, letting people know ETAs, asking for permission to bomb, etc...). The admins start harrassing him to get on TS3 and whatnot (just like they did me when they banned me last time) and so I report the admin that's reporting the kid for breaking his own server rule about harrassment.

The admin then just straight up bans me. :shepface:

This game's community admins are loving terrible. The kid was doing nothing wrong and the second I stand up for him against the Admin's bullshit I just get banned. Exact same situation that happened last time as well, except instead of me being the pilot I was the one standing up for the kid this time.

The game itself is fun to some extent while being also frustrating enough with all of the constant freezing, stuttering, lagging, and extremely disappointing single player campaign... but then when I go online to play multiplayer with a bunch of other people I have to deal with this poo poo as well?

:negative:

It's the rule, you use teamspeak or you don't fly. They are entirely fine with pilots as long as they fly properly and use teamspeak for pilot coordination, whatever your age.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I seem to recall that the A3Goons has its own PlayWithSix repository, but I can't find any mention of it in the OP nor the Steam group, someone mind linking me up?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I'm sure these servers who enforce common, draconian rules that demand pilots use teamspeak don't have a reason for it. They're just fascist sperglord admins right? gently caress the establishment.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shanakin posted:

I'm sure these servers who enforce common, draconian rules that demand pilots use teamspeak don't have a reason for it. They're just fascist sperglord admins right? gently caress the establishment.

Worse than hitler.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Excuse me, but HNNNNNGH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t24Ya2HELk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NATO surrenders unconditionally, we can't compete with that.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Sounds like your expectations for this game are pretty sideways. I feel like if you did any research at all on this purchase it would have been glaringly obvious that this game isn't your average FPS with an enthralling story and 8 multiplayer maps. It's definitely not for everyone but what the heck were you expecting?

The strength in this series has always been the mod community and the milsperg stuff. Every Operation flashpoint/Arma campaign in the history of the series has been almost unplayable because of stupid poo poo AI, so definitely don't buy this game if you only wanna do a SP campaign made by the devs.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
If anyone is interested in that Defiance "Zeus vs. Zeus" mode I talked up earlier, the initial public beta is now available, along with this overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqVayiirZo
And starting at 7 minutes into this stream is playtest footage.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I decided to try out the new bulldozer thing by pitting it against a BTR and two GMG ifrits. After flipping the BTR over, it somehow got stuck in the plow.

So I decided to use it as a battering ram. :twisted:

It probably would've made a good tactical shield too but the AI never fired the ifrit grenade launchers at me. :shrug:

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Speirs posted:

I know one. Turn off Ambient Occlusion BOOM 20 more frames.

Listen to this goon, he speaks the truth.

Elth posted:

It probably would've made a good tactical shield too but the AI never fired the ifrit grenade launchers at me. :shrug:

I think the AI is smart enough to know not to shoot when friendlies are downrange. There was a bug where OPFOR treated snakes and rabbits as teammates and wouldn't shoot at you if there was a snake in between.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Rickshaw posted:

I think the AI is smart enough to know not to shoot when friendlies are downrange. There was a bug where OPFOR treated snakes and rabbits as teammates and wouldn't shoot at you if there was a snake in between.

I believe in this case it's the AI being smart enough to know when weapons would be effective. They won't shoot at anything they don't believe they can damage. The GMG rounds don't dent armor in the slightest so they'll just stay aiming at you never firing if you roll around with it. Similar to how a group of riflemen won't engage a Marshall or they would shoot at a Pawnee/Orca/Hellcat but less inclined to shoot a Blackfoot/Kajman unless it's the autorifleman.

I wish the engagement AI mods were built into the game since if I'm engaging someone at 600m I expect them to fire back, even if it's extremely inaccurate. They just try to run into range but die everytime. Or how pilots with their SMGs refuse to engage unless they're <200m away but 210m is clearly too far to even attempt to return fire.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I used the cheat to get the Survive missions done as when they updated it last it ate my saves. However I think this has caused me to get the bug where I am continually getting default equipment as my NVG, GPS, rifle and etc all keep going missing. My vest and helmet also keep going walkabout. Will I have to make a new profile to fix this bug?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Those things aren't saved ever. It's stupid.

edit: rifles can be put in the containers or something to save them.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Any weapons you are carrying (or in the vehicle you are driving) at the end of a mission are saved in the base containers. I also kept the same vest for the most of the campaign so it should work? GPS/NVGs/helmets vanish every time :(
Your loadout may be changed for each mission but you can re-equip from the briefing screen.

They've had similar loot mechanism since OFP:Resistance and it still feels vague. It needs a proper screen after each mission to show what you have acquired...

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Loot disappearing after each mission is pissing me off too. I try to go out of my way to get supplies too as a purely RP aspect to things but c'mon guys. I've brought like 8 pairs of NVGs and GPSes back, I can keep one for myself okay? The nighttime mission where they GIVE you a pair made it sound like they were doing me a favour too, and I'm like 'ffffffffffffff I probably looted this pair you jerkoffs'.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The campaign is weird like that in that some item types (NVGs, GPS, rangefinders, laser designators, first aid kits, anything that goes into the backback, vest or uniform slot) aren't retained.

The best thing instead is finding a nightstalker scope. Thermal, NVGs, rangefinder and long-range scope with backup CQ sight in one package that carriers over between mission.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

I believe in this case it's the AI being smart enough to know when weapons would be effective.

Well, the dude in the bulldozer turret would fire continuously at any armoured targets it could see, including the T-100 which 6.5mm does gently caress all against, but it would ignore the Ifrits even though it could take out the tires at least.

Also is it just me or is the turret on the bobcat unbearingly loud in third person?

Slugs
Mar 11, 2014

Elth posted:

Well, the dude in the bulldozer turret would fire continuously at any armoured targets it could see, including the T-100 which 6.5mm does gently caress all against, but it would ignore the Ifrits even though it could take out the tires at least.

Also is it just me or is the turret on the bobcat unbearingly loud in third person?

I think the whole think is pretty loud, but, it is a bulldozer not a prius.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Modchat: HLC's AK pack is great, models, animations and sounds are all much better than Arma 3 standards. If you like playing OPFOR this is a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRs_6oa-uM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Slashrat posted:

Alternative solution:

I'm dumb; I can't seem to actually get the repair truck to work. What do I need to do to use it?