Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I think the Perdition Turret is better suited to your playstyle, Raldan. Plus, having an automated ground defense system that doesn't take up supply points sounds like just what the Terrans need.

Both buildings can actually fulfill a similar role. Just because the planetary fortress is morphed from a command center doesn't mean that we can only plant them in mining bases. A planetary at a choke point now means theres a 1500 health building with a big honking cannon to bust through. More expensive (550 min/150 gas compared to 150 min) but beefier. Both of them can be quite useful in different situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Voting for: Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turrets, and Welcome to the Jungle. Mostly to fill up on Protoss research, but also for some hot "Goliaths killing poo poo" action.

Also, that discussion about finding a cure for zerg infestation? Yeeeah, that's a bit of a retcon of the Resurrection IV mission from Starcraft 64. Which wouldn't be too bad, since nearly nobody remembers that version of Starcraft 1, except Raynor himself was directly involved with that mission, making his tone to Hanson about finding a cure a little strange in hindsight. That said, the retcon won't be fully explained until Heart of the Swarm, since it involves a character that appears in that game. Granted, if the Resurrection IV retcon wasn't in place, said HoS character would probably have popped up on the Hyperion by now.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Nice to see this lp is still going, watching the SC2 campaign played by someone who's actually good at the game is a real pleasure.

Voting for Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turrets and The Great Train Robbery.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Raldan posted:

Both buildings can actually fulfill a similar role. Just because the planetary fortress is morphed from a command center doesn't mean that we can only plant them in mining bases. A planetary at a choke point now means theres a 1500 health building with a big honking cannon to bust through. More expensive (550 min/150 gas compared to 150 min) but beefier. Both of them can be quite useful in different situations.

Yeah, but perdition turrets auto burrow/un-burrow and are really space efficient, while planetary fortresses are freaking huge. Its hard to justify planetary fortresses as a pure defense structure as space is really important in the places you need turrets.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Advanced Medic Facilities, Hellstorm Batteries, you can't afford both but I'm voting for both in the hope at least one wins

and Great Train Robbery because of the name. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hellstorm Batteries, Titanium Housing, Perdition Turrets and Welcome to the Jungle.

Killing infested zombies in Outbreak is even easier if you have tanks. :v:

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
For upgrades lets grab the G-4 Clusterbombs and play around with them a bit.

A Perdition Turret sounds like the better research option.

And let's head over to The Great Train Robbery because Diamondbacks are still awesome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle, because we're behind on our Protoss research.

This. But I'm also gonna base my desire for Hellstorm Batteries around my belief that we've only got Marines for units that can even hit them otherwise.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle

No other option

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Macross Missile Massacre Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, Great Train Robbery.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle.

Get a Protoss project since we're behind.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for Hellstorm Batteries and Perdition Turret. As for the mission, voting for Welcome To The Jungle, as Protoss research is really falling behind at this point and it is probably one of the harder missions in the game as well.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Medic Facility and Hellstorm Batteries for cash money spending, Perdition Turrets for research, and Welcome to the Jungle for the mission mission
Being able to get two medics at a time can be a real lifesaver. Early on, having access to double marines and medics at the same time can allow for some interesting rushes, especially on missions like the next one(If you go for where I voted). Also marine + medic never really falls out of usefulness. Hellstorm batteries because gently caress the enemy flyers. Last is research, I honestly never found much use for the fortress, I like the ability to lift off too much and rooting my base down for no reason just is a bit much of a negative. I never found much use for the perdition turrets, but they were a useful bit of point defense in a pinch, since they didn't need to be manned.
Welcome to the jungle is a good song, and an interesting mission. Pseudo timed and all that. Good resource competition. Getting more Toss research is just icing on that little cake.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hellstorm Batteries

Perdition Turret

Welcome To The Jungle

That last mission was the perfect place to put several bunkers at chokepoints while your troops are rummaging around :colbert:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Great Train Robbery

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

This is my vote as well.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Great Train Robbery.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'm just going to throw a vote for Welcome to the Jungle because our Protoss research is behind. Also I want vote for the larger Hellbat flames because I get sad every time I see the tiny little wimpy flames from them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Planetary Fortress to go along with my favorite Starcraft 2 video of all time.

Welcome to the Jungle to get your Mech on.

Hellstorm Batteries so your turrets can be super baller.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spudd posted:

Planetary Fortress to go along with my favorite Starcraft 2 video of all time.

How can you say this without a link?

:negative:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do units auto formation? I noticed that at the end of the mission the hellions and the jetpack dudes made a pretty fire circle.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle.

Nightdew
Oct 3, 2008

Synastren posted:

How can you say this without a link?

:negative:

The one I thought of immediately went to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPGYeuU2Oc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Door Frame posted:

This

Planetary fortress isn't really worthwhile in the campaign, you rarely need to expand and when you do you've got ample time and resources to defend it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nightdew posted:

Heh, something very similar is possible in the original Starcraft, without the PF, of course. Here's a fun match from 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDCWW-G5Uo

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nightdew posted:

That was beautiful.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Nightdew posted:

Yup that's it exactly. It's one of those videos you find in life that never seems to stop making you smile even years later.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Voting Planetary Fortress because big guns.

I'm glad you're doing this on brutal, since my own playthrough on brutal got stalled out about I think half way through the campaign partially because of burn-out and the other part being the thought of doing one of the later missions that I found difficult even on normal because I'm not good at being aggressive, and I want to see someone who (probably) knows what they're doing finish that missile.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Still not as good as the 1 hour long WCF of the guy who doesn't do anything.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Still not as good as the 1 hour long WCF of the guy who doesn't do anything.

The one where the guy goes AFK with nothing built, his opponent builds everything the Terrans have to offer, and still comes back to win the game a half hour later?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Lunethex posted:

The one where the guy goes AFK with nothing built, his opponent builds everything the Terrans have to offer, and still comes back to win the game a half hour later?

Please post this video.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Lunethex posted:

I really want to watch this now, it sounds quite amusing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't even play SC2 multiplayer and even I had to see it. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRSE4Ccl_A

Edit: It occurs to me that this is what would happen to me if I ever tried to play multiplayer.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 25, 2014

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Kibayasu posted:

I don't even play SC2 multiplayer and even I had to see it. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRSE4Ccl_A

Edit: It occurs to me that this is what would happen to me if I ever tried to play multiplayer.

Oh man that part at the very end was the best. Especially since the button said 'Uninstall the game please.'

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

When cheese fails (their whole series) is usually full of those rather epic levels of "What on EARTH!?"

Including one where a guy got cheesed to a stalemate... and then just ran a planetary fortress down to the other guys base and proceeded to win. They have a running joke of "I think that blue block is moving" because of that particular event.

Calax fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 25, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Calax posted:

Including one where a guy got cheesed to a stalemate... and then just ran a planetary fortress down to the other guys base and proceeded to win. They have a running joke of "I think that blue block is moving" because of that particular event.

You should click on more youtube links on this very page. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah I'm pretty godawful, that's probably how things'd go for me as well.

Although the guy who won did employ one of my favorite strategies, the classic terrible "move Siege Tanks up a little bit, enter siege mode, annihilate anything, rinse, repeat"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Psion posted:

You should click on more youtube links on this very page. :v:

I should have... to make up for it here's a Queen doing something similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSMZK14mp0

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I'm pretty godawful, that's probably how things'd go for me as well.

Although the guy who won did employ one of my favorite strategies, the classic terrible "move Siege Tanks up a little bit, enter siege mode, annihilate anything, rinse, repeat"

As long as you aren't sieging/unsieging all of your tanks at once, that's a perfectly viable (if over cautious) strategy. You need other units to cover your tanks, but... that's basically Terran mech, as I understand it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I am both sorry for starting this conversation about When Cheese Fails and thankful that people are posting links to some of the episodes, I forgot how much I enjoyed them.

• Locked thread