Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Alexander Lukashenko is the best speaker full stop. He can talk for five hours straight and shouting at journalists half of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 597 days!

Majorian posted:

I don't remember Bush speaking in front of non-supportive audiences all that often. Also, this is the worst derail.

It's a perfectly fine "derail" as their is no new news from the area, and you started off this page claiming Obama's usual pathetic, halting, milquetoast vagaries, were "an excellent speech."

Sorry some of us have actually heard a half-decent speech in our day.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pobama posted:

It's a perfectly fine "derail" as their is no new news from the area, and you started off this page claiming Obama's usual pathetic, halting, milquetoast vagaries, were "an excellent speech."

Again, I was talking about its content, not its presentation. So far you haven't been able to say anything about it beyond that European leaders wouldn't be reassured by it. Delve a bit deeper into that, please.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a better derail than nukechat.

Oh gently caress we're now in a metaderail.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Total lack of enthusiasm or forcefulness tends to mitigate content.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

To be honest, I'm not sure any kind of speech from Obama could have changed much about the situation. Everyone expected some posturing from the US, but until any actions from the US government follow the speech, not many people are going to take it seriously.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gantolandon posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure any kind of speech from Obama could have changed much about the situation. Everyone expected some posturing from the US, but until any actions from the US government follow the speech, not many people are going to take it seriously.

The main thrust of the speech seemed to be to get the Europeans off their butts and do something.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 597 days!

Majorian posted:

Again, I was talking about its content, not its presentation. So far you haven't been able to say anything about it beyond that European leaders wouldn't be reassured by it. Delve a bit deeper into that, please.

The content was just as underwhelming as the presentation. As has been pointed out, there really isn't much force the US is willing to apply to the situation.

I'm saying the speech could have been made or not made and the situation would remain the same. It was pomp, without circumstance, fluff, without air.

Meaningless, like much of his term.

President Obama: American, Democrat, President, 2008-2016: sucked the financial sectors dick, very slightly less vigorously than before, passed a mid-90's Republican created healthcare reform package, and gave one hell of a speech on March 26th 2014...about something or other...I forget now.

Cesar Cedeno fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 26, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

The main thrust of the speech seemed to be to get the Europeans off their butts and do something.

Europeans are going to nod wisely, agree with the wisdom of the US President and write even harsher letters to Putin.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

Europeans are going to nod wisely, agree with the wisdom of the US President and write even harsher letters to Putin.

Probably not even that. We're left with our dick in our hands yet again as the main opposition to Russia in the EU.

Expect them to mysteriously start finding things wrong with our produce and manufactured goods again real soon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pobama posted:

The content was just as underwhelming as the presentation. As has been pointed out, there really isn't much force the US is willing to apply to the situation.

I'm saying the speech could have been made or not made and the situation would remain the same. It was pomp, without circumstance, fluff, without air.

Were you hoping for Obama to, like, declare war on Russia or something?:confused:

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 597 days!

Majorian posted:

Were you hoping for Obama to, like, declare war on Russia or something?:confused:

Of course not, I'm simply saying, as I've said before, the speech was a mediocre one at best, no matter how you look at it.

I don't want any US intervention, and if Obama really wanted to go all in on empty gestures, he should have skipped the speech all together and flown into Kiev to meet with Ukrainian "leaders" personally or something.

If I were him I'd go more for actions than words...since his words...is very bad...not good words.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Majorian posted:

Some real sanctions and strong incentives for the European leaders to follow suit would be a good start.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Majorian posted:

I don't understand it as well. Any kind of military action would be foolish, and I wonder if the Ukraine would be better off by being turned into a giant battlefield. So that's out. And the USA just has not enough trade with Russia for sanctions to really hurt Putin. Shuffling a few NATO troops to the eastern borders to show that any action against a NATO state will lead to war is all right, what else should Obama do?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pobama posted:

Of course not, I'm simply saying, as I've said before, the speech was a mediocre one at best, no matter how you look at it.

I don't want any US intervention, and if Obama really wanted to go all in on empty gestures, he should have skipped the speech all together and flown into Kiev to meet with Ukrainian "leaders" personally or something.

If I were him I'd go more for actions than words...since his words...is very bad...not good words.

Well, I thought his words were pretty good. Like, I'm really not seeing where they were as bad as you say they were. Sure, he stammered and spoke in a subdued tone, but I think the tone part was by design anyway. It conveyed a sobriety and humility that US foreign policy hasn't seen for years - an understanding that the solution to this problem is going to have be a multilateral one, not just the US jumping in there and saying "You're either with us or the Russians." "Excellent" was probably an overstatement on my part, but I think it was certainly the right speech to give at the moment.

Gantolandon posted:

Some real sanctions and strong incentives for the European leaders to follow suit would be a good start.

Real sanctions on what, though? Where can we hit Russia economically that will really hurt them, but not hurt them so much that they'll go Germany-post-1920's?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Obama grew up in hawaii speaking pidgin. The fact that he can make fully coherent sentences at all speaks to his ability to overcome adversary.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pobama posted:

Look at this armchair politician criticizing somebody else but not saying what he would do in this situation.

I think Obama's playing the few cards we do have (financial pressure on Russia via sanctions to make Crimea & potentially the rest of Ukraine a poo poo move for Russia) and letting the EU show whether they want to step up so USA does not have to get criticized for being this dumb world police that Bush and some predecessors tried to make us be.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Majorian posted:

Real sanctions on what, though? Where can we hit Russia economically that will really hurt them, but not hurt them so much that they'll go Germany-post-1920's?

Begin to treat preferentially trading partners who do less business with Russia, for example.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Colonel Mamchur is free and on the Ukrainian mainland.

quote:

Journalist Yuri Butusov had a phone conversation with Colonel Mamchur who have been released today from detention in Crimea and is finally on the mainland in Ukraine.
"I just spoke on the phone with Colonel Mamchur, just 20 minutes after he arrived to safety, in a space under Ukrainian military control. Deputy Chair of Presidential Administration Andriy Senchenko, who oversees the Crimea on behalf of Ukrainian government helped connect with him. Colonel said:
"I was kept in a solitary confinement for three and a half days. First day, unknown Russian military people kept trying to talk me into betraying my oath to the people of Ukraine and switch to the Russian side. Afterwards, they applied psychological pressure, wouldn't let me fall asleep, kept hitting the cell door with their rifles.
I feel fine and determined. What's next? First, I will take a shower, then will be making decisions.
Glory to Ukraine!"
Butusov reported that he thanked Colonel on behalf all of us on Facebook and all Ukrainians for staying true to his military oath and wished him all the best.

https://www.facebook.com/topaz.salat/posts/734371176603181

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

Begin to treat preferentially trading partners who do less business with Russia, for example.

That leaves out the EU, China, and Ukraine. Do you have any particular countries in mind?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Majorian posted:

That leaves out the EU, China, and Ukraine. Do you have any particular countries in mind?

"Less business", not "no business at all". Encouraging other nations to reduce their involvement with Russia, via incentives and subtle pressure, would probably work better, though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Pobama posted:

Are you John McCain's alt?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

"Less business", not "no business at all". Encouraging other nations to reduce their involvement with Russia, via incentives and subtle pressure, would probably work better, though.

That's going to be hard to do, given that a lot of Russia's biggest trade partners rely on Russian electricity. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, by the way, I'm just pointing out that coming up with really well-targeted sanctions that the EU is going to agree with is going to be tough.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Majorian posted:

That's going to be hard to do, given that a lot of Russia's biggest trade partners rely on Russian electricity. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, by the way, I'm just pointing out that coming up with really well-targeted sanctions that the EU is going to agree with is going to be tough.

The reliance on electricity is a long-term problem, sure. I don't expect the perfect solution to came up within a day. But really, finding any solution at all is the only thing that matters. Until then, quality of Obama's speech isn't going to matter much.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Runaktla posted:

Look at this armchair politician criticizing somebody else but not saying what he would do in this situation.

I think Obama's playing the few cards we do have (financial pressure on Russia via sanctions to make Crimea & potentially the rest of Ukraine a poo poo move for Russia) and letting the EU show whether they want to step up so USA does not have to get criticized for being this dumb world police that Bush and some predecessors tried to make us be.

Honestly this is Europe's responsibility. Ukraine is in Europe, the EU wants to go East, we're by far the most important trading partner of Russia and Putins bizarre visions for a Russian led counter-balance to the West will affect us most. The US is not in the best position to act and it shouldn't be the US. If we are not willing to back our speeches with meaningful force then why should the US and why should anyone care about Europe?

The EU should start working towards a closer relationship with Ukraine. Give them loans, help them reform their government and economy and start to economically integrate. Put Ukraine on the fast track and drag them away from Russia. In the short term I don't see anything we can really do veyond trolling the Russians with NATO bases or something.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Colonel Mamchur is free and on the Ukrainian mainland.

https://www.facebook.com/topaz.salat/posts/734371176603181

Whew, I was worried when I read the Russians captured him after taking the base. I figured they would treat him much more harshly for daring to openly defy the green men like he and his men did, good to hear he's ok.

e: from that facebook page

"Hero of Ukraine"
"He did not break the oath"

also lol that it's from 'demotivators.to'

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 27, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

The reliance on electricity is a long-term problem, sure. I don't expect the perfect solution to came up within a day. But really, finding any solution at all is the only thing that matters. Until then, quality of Obama's speech isn't going to matter much.

Part of finding that solution is going to have to be strengthening the US-EU coalition. If you want stronger sanctions to happen, the Western powers have to make sure that the coalition can rely upon its constituent members to not buckle at the first sign of Russia raising electricity or gas prices. I think that's what made today's speech appropriate in this context.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Obama grew up in hawaii speaking pidgin. The fact that he can make fully coherent sentences at all speaks to his ability to overcome adversary.

I would definitely enjoy an alternate version of the speech, bonus points if it includes the phrases "he no can" and "give back da 'aina".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

hailthefish posted:

I would definitely enjoy an alternate version of the speech, bonus points if it includes the phrases "he no can" and "give back da 'aina".

You cockaroach Crimea? Kay den, you get sanction bra.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

The dude reads words off of a teleprompter.

Please tell me that was facetious. That is the dumbest goddamn talking point ever.

Wait, so in Red Alert 2, it should have been the COMMIES that had battle dolphins? Why have I been lied to that severely?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Anosmoman posted:

Honestly this is Europe's responsibility. Ukraine is in Europe
Europe is a continent. It's a land mass. It doesn't have responsibilities for anyone or anything since it it's a lifeless pile of dirt.

Anosmoman posted:

The EU should start working towards a closer relationship with Ukraine. Give them loans, help them reform their government and economy and start to economically integrate. Put Ukraine on the fast track and drag them away from Russia. In the short term I don't see anything we can really do veyond trolling the Russians with NATO bases or something.
The EU already has large problems, and that's without "fast-tracking" completely dysfunctional (both economically and politically) nations to join. It is an extremely bad idea. And it's simply not going to happen.

CSM fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 27, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Pobama posted:

President Obama: American, Democrat, President, 2008-2016: sucked the financial sectors dick, very slightly less vigorously than before, passed a mid-90's Republican created healthcare reform package, and gave one hell of a speech on March 26th 2014...about something or other...I forget now.

Did Obama pick on you when you were a kid or something?

CSM posted:

Europe is a continent. It's a land mass. It doesn't have responsibilities for anyone or anything since it it's a lifeless pile of dirt.

So is Russia. So is Germany. So is America. Stop being a jackass.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 27, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
On vaguely related news, Denmark has also decided to send additional F-16 fighters to guard the Baltic airspace as a sign of solidarity. It hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but as it was being mentioned already last week I guess it's happening.

I'm not sure if we should be flattered or worried.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best part of the Obama speech was trying to justify the Iraq misadventure:

quote:

Even in Iraq, America sought to work within the international system,” Obama said. “We did not claim or annex Iraq’s territory. We did not grab its resources for our own gain. Instead, we ended our war and left Iraq to its people in a fully sovereign Iraqi state that can make decisions about its own future.”

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Watch as every Western country decides it has to show solidarity by sending F-16s, causing the Baltic countries to run out of space on their airfields and grounding planes across the region.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose it might be cheaper and easier than sending a bunch of troops, and achieves the same goal.

Edit: VVVV Yeah, there's actually a good implicit "Even in Iraq, where we royally hosed up, we knew how to put on a better show for international audiences".

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 27, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

etalian posted:

the best part of the Obama speech was trying to justify the Iraq misadventure:

How is that him justifying it?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Dolash posted:

I suppose it might be cheaper and easier than sending a bunch of troops, and achieves the same goal.

Edit: VVVV Yeah, there's actually a good implicit "Even in Iraq, where we royally hosed up, we knew how to put on a better show for international audiences".

The Iraq war was just as illegal as the Crimean occupation, regardless of the "good show"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChaosSamusX posted:

Please tell me that was facetious. That is the dumbest goddamn talking point ever.

Someone asked when it became trendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Incredibly debatable that it was even a good show. As Crimea is showing, Bush basically gave anyone with enough nukes a "b-b-but Iraq" card for who knows how long.

But yeah, I guess we didn't try to annex Iraq from halfway across the world (some industrious Georgetown GOPer intern put in charge of a facet of the occupation probably wanted to do this though I'm sure).

• Locked thread