Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Xir posted:

I live two miles from the west gate of Barksdale. As awesome as the BUFF is I look forward to the air show every year to see some fighters. Driving near Tinker on business was an absolute pleasure, getting to watch f-16s do touch and go's.

You haven't lived till you saw 2 or 3 galaxies lined up. Flying so slow and low over 1 of San Antonio's major freeways doing them. I'm surprised I never wrecked my truck since I spent the entire time watching them. So amazing.

Only fighters we get down here are the trainers and they're up north of town and suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

The time to get those would've been about a decade ago. They needed to be fast tracked under some sort of Big Safari-ish type program where you give an O-6 and a small staff money and a desired end goal within 12 months and let them go execute. Trying to do things through the traditional procurement channels led to the complete waste of time and money that was LAAR/LAS.

I agree that a Super T type aircraft (like Dead Reckoning said the A-37 specifically was kind of rear end because of overall issues with the Tweet platform) would be pretty useful in a niche capacity...RPAs are great for about 85% of what a platform like that could do, but just like how U-28/MC-12-style manned ISR has a role that isn't 100% supplanted by Reapers, same is true for light attack (less so in a straight up pop-centric COIN fight with relatively large troop formations, more towards support for small numbers of SOF, like what we're going to be doing in various corners of the world for a while). Unfortunately niche roles can't exist in today's budgetary environment...SOCOM/AFSOC are having difficulty just with recapitalizing their existing aviation capes (various flavors of Herks with AFSOC, helos with everyone else), rolling out a completely new platform isn't really a thing that's possible any time in the near future.

And yeah, any platform like this would strictly be permissive air only because anyone with a semi-functioning air defense system would blow it out of the sky...like I said, I'd envision something like that being bought in relatively small numbers for supporting SOF operating outside of a full blown Afghanistan/Iraq style combat zone. Unfortunately "small numbers"/"dedicated SOF support" is like the definition of a niche capability, and given that we are having to choose between shitcanning the entire A-10 fleet, the entire Bone fleet, or "only" a third of the Vipers, niche really isn't in our budget right now.

lol

it's funny cuz it's true.

A bit late, but the answer to the COIN requirement was and always will be OV-10X.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jaegerx posted:

Best thing about San Antonio was seeing c5s doing touch and gos all day. I have no idea how those planes stay in the air.

On a giant column of leaking hydraulic fluid?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Wow, the RAAF is planning on ordering up to 100 F-35As even after getting a bunch of F/A-18Fs? I always had assumed the Aussies had an even more cash starved military than us Canucks but I guess not.

Must be all the jewelery stores those Aussie hoodlums are robbing :wotwot:

I'm still holding out hope that one of the other bids (c'mon Rafale!) pans out in the "revamped" competition the RCAF is having. LOL no it'll still be the F-35A regardless.

The Australians had a more, ah, alarming time in WW2 than we did. At one point it was all 1) the Japanese are going to invade, 2) there are literally no combat aircraft in the entire continent, 3) the British had just suffered their worst loss in military history and were all like 'welp, good luck with that.' The whole thing made them ask some serious questions, and the result was that they take defense a little more seriously than we do.

Either that, or not having the united states literally next door

Also, the only reason at this point we're sticking to the F-35 at this point is b/c somebody told Harper it was a bad idea, right? Oh, are we using this as some sort of threat in the whole keystone pipeline thing? "You will give us our pipeline, or we will hold our breath not buy your fancy useless next gen fighter and the loss of those 65 airframes will make it cost like a trillion dollars or something!!" Etc.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvt5kMAsf4

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

priznat posted:

I'm still holding out hope that one of the other bids (c'mon Rafale!) pans out in the "revamped" competition the RCAF is having.

It's a pipedream most of the time but ever since it blew my eardrums out while I was visiting the Paris Air Show last year the Rafale is my sentimental favorite for every fighter competition.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Australians had a more, ah, alarming time in WW2 than we did. At one point it was all 1) the Japanese are going to invade, 2) there are literally no combat aircraft in the entire continent, 3) the British had just suffered their worst loss in military history and were all like 'welp, good luck with that.' The whole thing made them ask some serious questions, and the result was that they take defense a little more seriously than we do.

Either that, or not having the united states literally next door

Also, the only reason at this point we're sticking to the F-35 at this point is b/c somebody told Harper it was a bad idea, right? Oh, are we using this as some sort of threat in the whole keystone pipeline thing? "You will give us our pipeline, or we will hold our breath not buy your fancy useless next gen fighter and the loss of those 65 airframes will make it cost like a trillion dollars or something!!" Etc.

So when are you going to make an effort post on RAAF participation during the second world war and CAC aircraft? I found a few models on ebay! (I'm not being sarcastic at all! I like what you do, don't ever stop!)

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

StandardVC10 posted:

It's a pipedream most of the time but ever since it blew my eardrums out while I was visiting the Paris Air Show last year the Rafale is my sentimental favorite for every fighter competition.
It's definitely a neat-looking plane; it's got those very high cheekbones

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

StandardVC10 posted:

But Dassault's representative is so whiny! I'll take the Gripen, the Gripen is cuter and cooler.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Saw the Blue Angels practice today, supposedly the first time since the sequester. No photos since I only had an iPad and good luck shooting them with that.

One thing I did notice is that they do come straight towards the crowd, which I thought was a big no-no. Is that a thing you can do since it isn't a "real" airshow?

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

wdarkk posted:

One thing I did notice is that they do come straight towards the crowd, which I thought was a big no-no. Is that a thing you can do since it isn't a "real" airshow?
I have definitely seen the Blue Angels make a formation pass and break directly over the crowd at show center from back to front during a full show. Wikipedia confirms my instincts on this, which are basically that this is allowed due to the relative simplicity of the maneuver, as it is a straight-and-level pass (until the break occurs past and heading away from the crowd). A loop or high-G turn would not be allowed in the same manner.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jaegerx posted:

Best thing about San Antonio was seeing c5s doing touch and gos all day. I have no idea how those planes stay in the air.

I've said it many times, but I miss the C-5's at Stewart ANG here in NY. I spent almost two years working at an aircraft reconditioning shop, repainting everything from Pipers to Barons, Citations, Learjets, a Dauphin or three, even a Starship. Our shop was right on the runway, and multiple times every day one of those huge fuckers was either taking off or landing about maybe 200 yards away. They are amazing and I really miss that sound :smith:

Here's the C-5 routine from the last time they had an airshow at Stewart, in 2003.

Here's some other flights from that show, just because it owned.

F-15 routine.

The Blue fuckin' Angels and Fat Albert!

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 27, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I grew up in the sticks outside of NAS - New Orleans and got to see a lot of cool poo poo. We were right on the end of the Mississippi river so we got to occasionally see the ANG A-10's doing low level stuff right over the river now and then, I guess maybe lining up on some of the ships or something? Also the local ANG F-15's were always around and occasionally we'd see some F-18's now and then along with a bunch of different Marine rotary stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Xir posted:

I live two miles from the west gate of Barksdale. As awesome as the BUFF is I look forward to the air show every year to see some fighters. Driving near Tinker on business was an absolute pleasure, getting to watch f-16s do touch and go's.

You have good timing then...only 707 variants are based at tinker, though b-1s and b-52s go there for depot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MagnumHB posted:

I have definitely seen the Blue Angels make a formation pass and break directly over the crowd at show center from back to front during a full show. Wikipedia confirms my instincts on this, which are basically that this is allowed due to the relative simplicity of the maneuver, as it is a straight-and-level pass (until the break occurs past and heading away from the crowd). A loop or high-G turn would not be allowed in the same manner.

They did a break and one was briefly diving towards the crowd.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

You have good timing then...only 707 variants are based at tinker, though b-1s and b-52s go there for depot.

Do the Tulsa Guard Vipers come over there frequently? That's who I imagine he saw.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

madeintaipei posted:

So when are you going to make an effort post on RAAF participation during the second world war and CAC aircraft? I found a few models on ebay! (I'm not being sarcastic at all! I like what you do, don't ever stop!)

It's a good suggestion; I always feel a little guilty that I don't know Commonwealth WW2 history as well as I should. I should add that you are welcome to do a infodump in the aeronautical insanity thread if you can brew one up on the RAAF.

Oh, and if you like the kits, you should know about this site: http://www.scalemates.com/products/

If the kit exists, this site can usually find it.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Godholio posted:

If you drive down the road just outside the eastern perimeter of Tinker, you can see the hangers where they do maintenance. I've seen a few B-1s with the skin stripped off. It's pretty neat.

I seem to think I've seen fighters over the base more than a few times, and I don't go out that way very often.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Do the Tulsa Guard Vipers come over there frequently? That's who I imagine he saw.

Not really. Seeing AF fighters is pretty rare. Maybe once a month...T-38s (stopping for gas, I assume) and Hornets were more common.

Edit: or maybe I just never saw them. For all I know Tulsa could show up for off-station approaches every day at 9, when I was inside. We didn't spend much time on the flight line outside the jet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The USAF just fired 9 of the nuclear missile commanders for cheating.

Reuters posted:

The head of the nuclear missile wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana resigned on Thursday and nine commanders were removed from their jobs for command failure over a classroom test cheating scandal that involved 91 missile launch officers, the Air Force said.

Lieutenant General Stephen Wilson, head of the Air Force's Global Strike Command, said Colonel Robert Stanley, commander of the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom had resigned on Thursday and would retire from the service.

The nine other commanders, mainly colonels and lieutenant colonels, were removed from their positions of command at the Montana base for intercontinental ballistic missiles. They will be reassigned to staff jobs and will face discipline ranging from reprimands to courts martial for failures of leadership.

Wilson said the root of the problem was the emphasis on perfection in the nuclear mission at the Montana base, which led to cheating on exams in an effort to achieve the sort of perfect scores seen as required for advancement and promotion.

"Leadership's focus on perfection led commanders to micro-manage their people. They sought to ensure that the zero defect standard was met by personally monitoring and directing daily operations, imposing unrelenting testing and inspections with the goal of eliminating all human error," Wilson told a Pentagon news conference.

He and Air Force Secretary Deborah James said the evaluation and assessment of missile launch officers would be radically overhauled in an effort to change the culture and behavior that has developed in the missile wing.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Breaky posted:

I grew up in the sticks outside of NAS - New Orleans and got to see a lot of cool poo poo.

Like a 737 landing dead stick on a levee?

(it landed on the longer portion running perpendicular to where it's pointing in that picture)

Story for those that don't know because it's pretty cool:

A TACA (now Avianica) 737-300 was flying from Belize to New Orleans in May 1988, this particular plane was literally brand new with less than 100 flight hours, TACA had only operated the plan for a couple weeks. On approach into New Orleans there were heavy thunderstorms, they tried to avoid the worst of them by following their weather radar but they still had to fly threw some very heavy storms. While decending through 16,000 both engines flame out and would overheat when they attempted to restart. Due to the weather their glide ratio was crap, had the weather been normal they probably could have made the airport. The pilot sees the canal adjacent to that levee and assumes he's going to ditch in the water. At the last moment he sees that levee on the right side of the canal and decides to put it down there instead, landing without further damaging the aircraft and everyone got off the plane safely. But the story doesn't stop there, the recovery is just as awesome as the landing. Boeing first thought they'd have to dismantle the plane and float it out on barges. Instead, they just changed out the damaged engines, and then took off using Saturn Blvd (which had been where an old runway was located).

Google map of the area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0189201,-89.9190468,2049m/data=!3m1!1e3

The cause of the accident was due to insufficient testing of water and hail ingestion in the engines, after this incident the testing was revised. The plane is now owned and is still being operated by Southwest Airlines.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sweet mother of :staredog: tell me they filmed that takeoff

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I wish, the only video of this incident that I have ever seen is just the plane sitting on the ground with emergency slides deployed. The following from MSNBC has that footage and an interview with the pilot, who was already a badass before he landed a commercial airliner on a levee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPn8G7enbF4

There's also this from Smithsonian/Discovery, it's kind of cheesy like most plane accident re-enactment shows but it's entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX54q552Zac

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That guy puts Captain Sully to shame.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I wish, the only video of this incident that I have ever seen is just the plane sitting on the ground with emergency slides deployed. The following from MSNBC has that footage and an interview with the pilot, who was already a badass before he landed a commercial airliner on a levee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPn8G7enbF4

There's also this from Smithsonian/Discovery, it's kind of cheesy like most plane accident re-enactment shows but it's entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX54q552Zac

Best part is that after the investigation they had to get the plane out of there and they could not cut it up b/c it was a perfectly good plane so they fixed it and just flew it out of there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That was back when Boeing built quality. I've noticed that the talk of a 787 Air Force One supplement has gotten really quiet ever since all the problems have started cropping up.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So Aviation Week thinks they saw a thing over Texas...

Click for big

quote:

The photos tell us more about what the mysterious stranger isn't than what it is. The size is very hard to determine, for example, although the image size at contrailing height suggests that it is bigger than an X-47B. However, the basic shape - while it resembles Boeing's Blended Wing Body studies or the Swift Killer Bee/Northrop Grumman Bat unmanned air system - is different from anything known to have flown at full size, lacking the notched trailing edge of Northrop Grumman's full-size designs.

The aircraft seen here was accompanied by two others. This and the fact that Steve picked up some apparently related voice traffic suggests that the aircraft is piloted: I doubt that you'd dispatch three large, classified unmanned aircraft anywhere in formation. The risk of a midair would be present, and such an event would be non-career-optimal.

Probably just a variation on the X-47/UCAV development prototypes but cue another spin on the Aurora conspiracies :tinfoil:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrYenko posted:

What was the joke about the C-5? Something like, "what does it mean when you see 3 C-5s in the hanger and 2 on the tarmac? They ran out of jacks!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Like a 737 landing dead stick on a levee?

(it landed on the longer portion running perpendicular to where it's pointing in that picture)

Story for those that don't know because it's pretty cool:

A TACA (now Avianica) 737-300 was flying from Belize to New Orleans in May 1988, this particular plane was literally brand new with less than 100 flight hours, TACA had only operated the plan for a couple weeks. On approach into New Orleans there were heavy thunderstorms, they tried to avoid the worst of them by following their weather radar but they still had to fly threw some very heavy storms. While decending through 16,000 both engines flame out and would overheat when they attempted to restart. Due to the weather their glide ratio was crap, had the weather been normal they probably could have made the airport. The pilot sees the canal adjacent to that levee and assumes he's going to ditch in the water. At the last moment he sees that levee on the right side of the canal and decides to put it down there instead, landing without further damaging the aircraft and everyone got off the plane safely. But the story doesn't stop there, the recovery is just as awesome as the landing. Boeing first thought they'd have to dismantle the plane and float it out on barges. Instead, they just changed out the damaged engines, and then took off using Saturn Blvd (which had been where an old runway was located).

Google map of the area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0189201,-89.9190468,2049m/data=!3m1!1e3

The cause of the accident was due to insufficient testing of water and hail ingestion in the engines, after this incident the testing was revised. The plane is now owned and is still being operated by Southwest Airlines.

Thanks for this. I remember that being on the news when I was a kid!

I wanted to get my dad to drive us over there to check it out but he wouldn't. The airshow at NAS-New Orleans was always really good. Since we were close, the Confederate Air Force out of Harlingen, TX always did a huge flying and static display and also the Blue Angels came every other year. Lots of other national ANG units flew stuff. All in all it was always a good show.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That was back when Boeing built quality. I've noticed that the talk of a 787 Air Force One supplement has gotten really quiet ever since all the problems have started cropping up.

Yeah, man, Boeing built quality back in the day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_585

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastwind_Airlines_Flight_517

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroJet_Flight_2710

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That probably would be a 747-8 anyway, for maximum engine redundancy/dickwaving potential.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

That probably would be a 747-8 anyway, for maximum engine redundancy/dickwaving potential.

If I'm not mistaken, the only reason that AF1 is still a 747-200 is that they found the -200 series had the strongest airframes, whereas the -400 compromised structural integrity for the extended upper deck. Something tells me the carbon fiber and composite nature of the 747-8 would flunk the 'near miss from a missile' test.

Fun fact: The DC-10 was originally considered to be in the running for the replacement to the 707 airframes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 28, 2014

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Terrifying Effigies posted:

So Aviation Week thinks they saw a thing over Texas...

Click for big

Probably just a variation on the X-47/UCAV development prototypes but cue another spin on the Aurora conspiracies :tinfoil:

It can't be that top secret if they're flying it around during the day over the general population surely?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

It can't be that top secret if they're flying it around during the day over the general population surely?

Yeah, that's my thinking, broad daylight and any yahoo can see it against a clear sky.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

movax posted:

Yeah, that's my thinking, broad daylight and any yahoo can see it against a clear sky.

That's precisely why you'd do it like that, it's not like anyone looking at the photo can actually identify it. Most people wouldn't even give an aircraft moving through a fairly active airspace an initial glance, much less a second one. Those that might have an inkling of what it might be, dismiss it with it a "Naw, they wouldn't do that. It'd be stupid".

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the only reason that AF1 is still a 747-200 is that they found the -200 series had the strongest airframes, whereas the -400 compromised structural integrity for the extended upper deck.

Its probably because the 747-400 hadn't even flown when the 747-200 was selected.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Its probably because the 747-400 hadn't even flown when the 747-200 was selected.

...which is why I used the word "still." Because we all know the US Government isn't shy about buying things redundantly when a newer or flashier model comes out.

And the very rare 747-300 series had the elongated flight deck and was available for order in 1980. Again, the -200B was settled on because it was a stronger airframe (and probably because there was a huge parts market for it). The current VC-25s *do* use the -400's engines, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 28, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

IIRC the -300 was essentially a capacity-for-range tradeoff with the 747-200. It's also possible that the extra upper deck capacity wasn't required for the government's needs relative to the other qualities of the aircraft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They haven't been replaced, because the VC-25 program was hideously, stupendously expensive, and every VC and VH program (I'm looking at you, VH-71 program) since has had similar problems. I can't wait to see a president try to justify a two or three billion dollar program to build him a personal jet fleet.

That ties into my feeling that we spend way too much protecting the president. I mean, if someone is dumb enough to off him, we get another one, and the news gets to orgasm in delight at all the drone strikes. The office is important, but the individual is not. And you can't shoot down the office.

I'm very much of the opinion that if a C-17 or V-22 is good enough to move our military around, paint a couple white, and use them to move the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MrYenko posted:

They haven't been replaced, because the VC-25 program was hideously, stupendously expensive, and every VC and VH program (I'm looking at you, VH-71 program) since has had similar problems. I can't wait to see a president try to justify a two or three billion dollar program to build him a personal jet fleet.

That ties into my feeling that we spend way too much protecting the president. I mean, if someone is dumb enough to off him, we get another one, and the news gets to orgasm in delight at all the drone strikes. The office is important, but the individual is not. And you can't shoot down the office.

I'm very much of the opinion that if a C-17 or V-22 is good enough to move our military around, paint a couple white, and use them to move the President.

That's absurd, can you imagine what kind of a world leader would schlep around in such an undignifyingly populist manne-

(Agree completely)