Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard Bravely Default sold better in the West than LR did.

One can only hope Square takes note of this and adjusts accordingly. BD was an awesome, awesome game, and far better than all three FFXIII games put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, we just pulled the most insane victory against the mandatory blitzball game.

So the first half? Sucks. I can't equip the Jecht Shot and Tidus isn't too strong of a pure shooter. We end up losing a single point and gaining none. Second half? I have the Jecht Shot equipped now, and with it I can score a shot, netting a tie. Somehow we manage to not give up any more ground and Tidus got swapped out for Wakka. So you have all the build-up, Wakka comes out, I shoot him a pass right awa and he gets a clean shot, just has to survive a two-man break...and he gets the ball stolen.

I'm scrambling and manage to keep defense up, the enemy a.i. makes a series of poor decisions, but the clock is ticking really fast. At 4:40 I manage to get Wakka possession of the ball, and I basically just swim him out to half-court, activate the shot, and pray that it works. I launch a Venom shot, the clock is ticking down...and at 4:57, his shot is good, and Wakka wins the game for the Aurochs.

Couldn't have asked for a better outcome!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard Bravely Default sold better in the West than LR did.

Not surprising if so considering Bravely Default is far better.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Butterflies never really bothered me:

Chocobo racing also never really bothered me; I remembered reading about it on GameFAQs and such well before I got to that point in the game and how insanely frustrated people got over the stupid bullshit the minigame is built around. So I went into with the mindset of, "The minigame is going to be cheating bullshit, so there's no point in getting mad; just accept that you're going to lose a lot until you finally get it, and then you'll never have to bother with it again."

Lightning dodging, on the other hand, nearly broke me.

195... 196... 197... 19-*ZAP* :smithicide:

Not looking forward to redoing that one on the HD remake. :negative:

The HD version has a place you can cheese the lightning strikes with a no encounters armor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, FF13 is way better than Sonic 2006.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

abaddonis posted:

The HD version has a place you can cheese the lightning strikes with a no encounters armor

That was there in the original releases too. Standing behind that chest is hardly new.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not surprising if so considering Bravely Default is far better.

Well I think it's surprising. More sales does not always mean the game is superior, or else FFVII is hands down the greatest JRPG ever. I figured LR would do great, regardless of its quality.

Good on BD for doing well I suppose. XIII is just a massive example of the disconnect between Western and Eastern fans I guess. It and Final Fantasy IV vs. VI. Think both sides are agreed on most of the other games.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

abaddonis posted:

I had no encounter armor when I did it back on the PS2. It was just really nerve-wracking for me to try and do that many successful dodges in a row without screwing up the first time. Getting to within 3 of the target number, then missing it because my concentration slipped for a fraction of a second was soul-crushing at the time.

That said, I'm pretty sure it won't be as bad when I eventually get around to it in the HD version simply because I've already done it twice before on two separate save files. It's a confidence thing; it becomes a lot easier to do when you know that you can do it as opposed to wondering if you'll be able to do it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I made a big :sperg: post about using Yojimbo to zanmato the dark aeons. I'll link it once I can ? my posts: Here it is!

The tl;dr is:
- Having a full overdrive gives a big boost to using zanmato.
- You can increase the odds of Yojimbo using Zanmato on the Dark Aeons if you say "I want to kill the strongest fiends" when you recruit him.
- Don't pay Yojimbo 0 gil or let him die, his compatability will take a huge hit (-20 and -10 respectively). I think summoning and dismissing him has a similar effect.
- If you want to grind compatibility you need to pay Yojimbo enough so he uses the single-target Wakizashi or better. The dagger has no net effect on his compatibility and the dog attack will drop his compatibility by 1. ST Wakizashi increases his compatability by 1, the multi-target version by 3.
- When paying Yojimbo the gil breakpoints that increase the odds of him doing a stronger attack are powers of 2.
- With starting compatability, a full overdrive gauge, and paying him 32768 gil(iirc), and picking "I want to kill the strongest fiends" Yojimbo has a ~61% chance to do Zanmato to a Dark Aeon according to the Yojimbo mechanics guide. I haven't testing this number at all though.

e: My memory was bad, fixed a few things

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 29, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Let us English posted:

Basically XIII and XIV broke the company. Their aquisition of Eidos is the only reason it's still around. XIII-2 and 3 were made to recoup earlier losses.

I can very easily believe this. As I recall, when the XIV debacle made SE's stock plummet, there was this one guy who owned like 1% of their company stocks and just sold all of it, saying "the company I knew and supported is dead" or something to that effect.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Which magic attacks? I even switch between the getups mid-combo to avoid the combo finisher and I still only get like half way towards a stagger. Then it attacks, I block , and the stagger meter is gone. I usually mix magic and physical attacks since it makes the meter stay longer but the physical attacks take way to long against it. I've been beaten to the ground four times now and it's getting really frustrating. Not even with overclock am I getting close.

Use -ra tier magic (thundra/aerora specifically). The only time the stagger gauge has a possibility of dropping is if you spend all of "Heartless Angel" guarding, instead of waiting till the attack is about go off.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I think it's surprising. More sales does not always mean the game is superior, or else FFVII is hands down the greatest JRPG ever. I figured LR would do great, regardless of its quality.

Good on BD for doing well I suppose. XIII is just a massive example of the disconnect between Western and Eastern fans I guess. It and Final Fantasy IV vs. VI. Think both sides are agreed on most of the other games.

The fact that XIII actually sold more total copies than FFVII tells me that sales-numbers are no longer a reliable factor in quality assurance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They never have been. See: Call of Duty as a franchise.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm cautiously optimistic about XV. It looks really interesting so far. I'll probably like it (i'm not even going to lie to myself and say I won't buy it regadless) as long as they include more free-roaming. Honestly, I'd be fine with an "Assasin's Creed" style open city exploration mode, which is probably what it'll end up being anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about XV. It looks really interesting so far. I'll probably like it (i'm not even going to lie to myself and say I won't buy it regadless) as long as they include more free-roaming. Honestly, I'd be fine with an "Assasin's Creed" style open city exploration mode, which is probably what it'll end up being anyway.

Have they even mentioned that as a possibility? Everything I've seen is corridor crawler with Kingdom Hearts style combat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Have they even mentioned that as a possibility? Everything I've seen is corridor crawler with Kingdom Hearts style combat.

There's a world map (With controllable Airships!) for you to go explore as well, so there's probably some openness to the cities/set pieces. Otherwise why bother going to explore the world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is that confirmed as an FFXV feature, or is it still one of those hold overs from Versus XIII that we're assuming will make it?

I can imagine Square-Enix cutting that to be honest, though I hope they don't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's a world map (With controllable Airships!) for you to go explore as well, so there's probably some openness to the cities/set pieces. Otherwise why bother going to explore the world.

I just don't know what the odds of an Asscreed like hub city and exploration is. Its good to hear about airships and world maps making a comeback.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Aurain posted:

Is that confirmed as an FFXV feature, or is it still one of those hold overs from Versus XIII that we're assuming will make it?

They've shown some pretty open fields (granted, I think this was on the build designed for PS3 rather than PS4), but I don't think they've ever shown an "overworld," unless it's like FFXII's where the entire world is explorable at the same scale. Quite sure they haven't shown anything with airships yet, so I'm guessing that was/is on the "to include" list, but hasn't been implemented and may still get cut.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

They've shown some pretty open fields (granted, I think this was on the build designed for PS3 rather than PS4), but I don't think they've ever shown an "overworld," unless it's like FFXII's where the entire world is explorable at the same scale. Quite sure they haven't shown anything with airships yet, so I'm guessing that was/is on the "to include" list, but hasn't been implemented and may still get cut.

FFX's airship was fine and having unlockable new areas is good. Honestly, as long as there is somewhere you can get to only via airship that is optional and the Airship cuts down on backtracking time to a significant degree the airship is good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aurain posted:

I can't find the trailer but in the blitz of trailers/screenshots we got at last E3 there was some talk about the world map and I think some short footage.

The only thing I could find was this page which has collected all the info that I remember seeing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Even back when it was Versus, they said their goal was to make a Final Fantasy game set in a semi-realistic, grittier environment. They showed Noctis standing next to some desert gas station, looked like Nevada. And if they don't pussy out, There Will Be Blood as well.

The only thing I could find was this page which has collected all the info that I remember seeing.

At least Nomura is honest enough at this point to just call them "gimmicks".

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2014

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

GreatRedSpirit posted:

I made a big :sperg: post about using Yojimbo to zanmato the dark aeons. I'll link it once I can ? my posts: Here it is!

The tl;dr is:
- Having a full overdrive gives a big boost to using zanmato.
- You can increase the odds of Yojimbo using Zanmato on the Dark Aeons if you say "I want to kill the strongest fiends" when you recruit him.
- Don't pay Yojimbo 0 gil or let him die, his compatability will take a huge hit (-20 and -10 respectively). I think summoning and dismissing him has a similar effect.
- If you want to grind compatibility you need to pay Yojimbo enough so he uses the single-target Wakizashi or better. The dagger has no net effect on his compatibility and the dog attack will drop his compatibility by 1. ST Wakizashi increases his compatability by 1, the multi-target version by 3.
- When paying Yojimbo the gil breakpoints that increase the odds of him doing a stronger attack are powers of 2.
- With starting compatability, a full overdrive gauge, and paying him 32768 gil(iirc), and picking "I want to kill the strongest fiends" Yojimbo has a ~61% chance to do Zanmato to a Dark Aeon according to the Yojimbo mechanics guide. I haven't testing this number at all though.

e: My memory was bad, fixed a few things

Thanks for this. I was torn on whether or not I was going to restart the game because of destruction sphere fuckery at Besaid temple, because I want Anima and 70 hours of grinding to take out a gimmick boss wasn't in the cards. Yojimbo may be considered cheating, but screw it. If the game is going to be a dick, then so am I.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I liked the FFXII approach, and FFX's was a basic version of that too I suppose. World maps are great, but if they can make interesting environments to explore (Lightning Returns was a passable effort for the PS3/360) then that might end up being better. I'm interested to see what news we get about XV at E3 2014.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I can't find the trailer but in the blitz of trailers/screenshots we got at last E3 there was some talk about the world map and I think some short footage.

Don't judge me, but I like the sounds/looks of this so far. Nomura did a decent job on KH, at least, so he somewhat has earned my trust.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Almost Smart posted:

Thanks for this. I was torn on whether or not I was going to restart the game because of destruction sphere fuckery at Besaid temple, because I want Anima and 70 hours of grinding to take out a gimmick boss wasn't in the cards. Yojimbo may be considered cheating, but screw it. If the game is going to be a dick, then so am I.

By the time you're strong enough to consider grabbing Anima you'll probably be able to take out Dark Valefor. Bird's not that hard, dude.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Don't judge me, but I like the sounds/looks of this so far. Nomura did a decent job on KH, at least, so he somewhat has earned my trust.

Yeah no I'm (cautiously) excited from what I've seen of 15 so far. It just needs to actually come out in a time frame that's not ridiculous.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm just stoked to play a version of Dream Drop Distance that doesn't stop gameplay every ten minutes to swap characters forcibly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm just stoked to play a version of Dream Drop Distance that doesn't stop gameplay every ten minutes to swap characters forcibly.

Hey man, there's this sweet game you might want to try, it's called Birth By Sleep.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

There are a lot of games that have done 3DDD's gameplay better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

I never had a problem with the forced character swapping because it was pretty easy to stay as one character forever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hey man, there's this sweet game you might want to try, it's called Birth By Sleep.

Who would have ever imagined that the best reason to buy Kingdom Hearts 2 HD would be for a PSP game. I didn't bother with getting KH 1 HD yet, but I'll be getting KH 2 HD pretty soon after release.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Switching characters didn't even bother me, since you get bonus time just before you switch, so I can go crazy killing enemies with extra rewards. It's having to spend twice as much time prodding pets in the face and playing minigames with them than actually progressing in the game if I ever wanted to get any fun abilities and spells that annoyed me.

Yeah, it was definitely the better game. Can't wait for 2.5 HD.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I'm really enjoying FFX. Tidus is a hella goofy fella and I enjoy the very bright, vibrant colors after playing Dark Souls 2 for hours.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Are they ever going to do another throwback ala FF9?

It's been 14 years. I know we've seen a few portable titles but I'd love to see another FF game that was in the same vein as disc 1/2 of FF9.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think FFIX is in the same ballpark as XII for the Japanese fanbase ie. they don't care about it much. It's not exactly super-popular over here either. Plenty of posters on boards like this will testify to IX being the best thing ever but it really wasn't all that remarkable in terms of sales or reviews that I can recall. Coupled with the fact IX wasn't written by the "important people" at Square and I doubt it will ever be revisited.

I wonder who did write IX. It wasn't Nojima I'm pretty sure. Kinda weird he took a break as he did VII and VIII and then X.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 29, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Man I'm really enjoying FFX. Tidus is a hella goofy fella and I enjoy the very bright, vibrant colors after playing Dark Souls 2 for hours.

Yeah, a lot of people don't like Tidus but I always have. He's a complete doofus and verges on rude most of the time, but he has a big heart and that makes him likable.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think FFIX is in the same ballpark as XII for the Japanese fanbase ie. they don't care about it much. It's not exactly super-popular over here either. Plenty of posters on boards like this will testify to IX being the best thing ever but it really wasn't all that remarkable in terms of sales or reviews that I can recall. Coupled with the fact IX wasn't written by the "important people" at Square and I doubt it will ever be revisited.

I wonder who did write IX. It wasn't Nojima I'm pretty sure. Kinda weird he took a break as he did VII and VIII and then X.

It was Sakaguchi.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It was commercially successful in both NA and Japan. It got a lot of very high scores and praise, unfortunately it was developed at the same time as several other, fancier FF games (X, XI, and XII were all in the pipeline).

It was ultimately overshadowed by FFX, and a lot of the current devs were not involved with it, not even Tetsuya Nomura. That's also why he was so resistant to putting anyone from FFIX into Kingdom Hearts, because he didn't design them.

It was Sakaguchi's last hurrah in the franchise, and he stated it was his personal favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Are they ever going to do another throwback ala FF9?

It's been 14 years. I know we've seen a few portable titles but I'd love to see another FF game that was in the same vein as disc 1/2 of FF9.
FFXIV is pretty throwback-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmbX_aX9ZaA&t=588s

And has this guy.