Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This one is great. :allears:

That's certainly a strange way to handle a cannon rusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

So do any of these games get past the first tier technology level or is it all workers and first tier units pulling some early strategy.
Because that's boring.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's what most high level SC2 games are. If they progress to tier 2 or 3 units it's usually because somebody either turtled hard or screwed up their rush.

e: These are also cheese videos, which are all about using early game units to win quickly while your opponent is unprepared. There are other casters that have longer videos but most of them are varying degrees of "You-Tube Popular".

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 30, 2014

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Kurieg posted:

That's what most high level SC2 games are. If they progress to tier 2 or 3 units it's usually because somebody either turtled hard or screwed up their rush.

This isn't really true, or at least it's not true after the early days of SC2 multiplayer. Early on, due to very small maps and a less developed metagame, rush strategies were very popular. However, as players got better and maps improved, holding off these types of early aggression became much easier, and playing to a longer game was the norm.

If you're watching "When Cheese Fails" or any games with "cheese", you're going to mostly see low tech units because that's generally what "cheese" is. It's certainly not standard play, because the strength of cheese comes when your opponent doesn't expect it, and is assuming that both of you are playing towards a longer, more economic game. Every unit in the game sees some action in multiplayer SC2.

People like watching these When Cheese Fails videos because playing with the higher tech units are fun, and they get bitter when somebody robs them of that chance by cheesing. They like seeing the cheeser get their comeuppance.

I am planning to show off multiplayer, as there is a ton of strategic depth to SC2 that you just don't see in the campaign. When Cheese Fails is probably not the best series of videos to build your SC2 multiplayer knowledge from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd like to add that the one of the main ingredients to stopping cheese is to scout at a reasonably early time with a worker or overlord and learn how to identify that something suspicious is going on (I usually scout with a probe after dropping a gateway once my thirteenth probe is out). Even in the lower-level leagues, you'll know that something is off when you scout a terran player and see a supply depot and no barracks, see a spawning pool morphing and not very many drones mining, or a forge warping in and no other buildings. The other is learning how to defend against it and punish that kind of play.

Though it seems that every time I've watched competitive StarCraft in the last couple of months it's been cannon rushes like it's going out of style and seeing if it will be successful or if it will transition into something more stable. Which annoys the poo poo out of me because I don't like watching matches like that, I hate cheesing in 1v1 and prefer safer play styles and builds.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 30, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The_Frag_Man posted:

So do any of these games get past the first tier technology level or is it all workers and first tier units pulling some early strategy.
Because that's boring.

Loads of them, but in a tangent about cheese strats you're not gonna see many.

Its also matchup dependant. TvT is the posterchild for long, long, long, intractable, late game, turtle-y, drawn out, long, interminable, stalemated, long and slow games. TvT is where you actually see battlecruisers sometimes. ZvZ is The Zergling and Mutalisk Show (or Roach and Baneling and more Roach show in SC2) and all but guaranteed to be over before the 15 minute mark.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 30, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Raldan posted:

Voting Closed!

Very clear victories this time for Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turrets and Welcome to the Jungle.

Finally looking to get some Protoss research.

I've been playing SC 2 again trying to get down why I don't like it. as a result I've only followed the LP off and on, but are you going to do You're So Crazy?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

If you want to see some good and varied SC2, look up Nation Wars on youtube (casted by TotalBisquit and a few guests). It's a relatively recent series (late last year sometime I think), and you'll find everything from early all-in strategies to a rather epically long (and a bit boring TBH, though it had some brilliant micro at times) game of zerg vs protoss that took an hour and involved almost every unit save perhaps carriers.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 30, 2014

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

GhostBoy posted:

If you want to see some good and varied SC2, look up Nation Wars on youtube (casted by TotalBisquit and a few guests). It's a relatively recent series (late last year sometime I think), and you'll find everything from early all-in strategies to a rather epically long (and a bit boring TBH, though it had some brilliant micro at times) game of zerg vs protoss that took an hour and involved almost every unit save perhaps carriers.

There was also the ZvZ where they practically reenacted WWII trench warfare with lines of spines, brood lords, and swarm hosts. Complete with a battle of the bulge!

It's amazing hearing the casters get progressively more frustrated as there were several hour long series and TB had a business/dinner meeting to get to. They eventually turn off the game sounds and music and start playing smooth jazz covers of video game music. In the end TB just leaves so he won't be late and Day9 is left alone to commentate.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

CrazySalamander posted:

There was also the ZvZ where they practically reenacted WWII trench warfare with lines of spines, brood lords, and swarm hosts. Complete with a battle of the bulge!

It's amazing hearing the casters get progressively more frustrated as there were several hour long series and TB had a business/dinner meeting to get to. They eventually turn off the game sounds and music and start playing smooth jazz covers of video game music. In the end TB just leaves so he won't be late and Day9 is left alone to commentate.

So basically, they got stuck in a stalemate until they both ran out of minerals/ gas at some point and someone was forced to commit a last-ditch offensive? Sounds like WWII to me :v:

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Voting:

Upgrade
130,000 Credits available

Advanced Medic Facilities
- Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
60,000 Credits

Kinetic Foam
- Marauders gain +25 life.
90,000 Credits

G-4 Clusterbomb
- Anti-personnel charge with a large blast radius.
- Ejects smaller payloads in a radius for increased damage.
75,000 Credits

Twin-Linked Flamethrowers
- Doubles width of Hellion's flame attack.
40,000 Credits

Thermite Filaments
- Hellions do +10 damage to light units.
60,000 Credits

Titanium Housing
- Missile Turrets gain +75 life.
50,000 Credits

Multi-Lock Weapon Systems
- Goliaths can fire both weapons simultaneously.
50,000 Credits

Ares-Class Targeting System
- Goliaths gain +3 missile range.
- Goliaths gain +1 cannon range.
80,000 Credits

Research

Ultra-Capacitors
- Weapon upgrades increase attack speed by 5%.
- Applies to Armory and Engineering Bay.

Vanadium Plating
- Armor upgrades increase life by 5%.
- Applies to Armory and Engineering Bay.

Mission

The Great Train Robbery
110,000 Credits
3 Zerg Research
New unit: Diamondback

The Dig
120,000 Credits
3 Protoss Research
New unit: Siege Tank

Voting will end Tuesday April 1st at 1:00 pm EST

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ares-Class Targeting System, Ultra-Capacitors, The Dig

I can't remember, how long until The memory Crystal is avaliable those missions give tons of free research if you do them all at once.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Kurieg posted:

I can't remember, how long until The memory Crystal is avaliable those missions give tons of free research if you do them all at once.

It depends, those unlock after doing a specific mission. It could unlock in quite a while, or quite soon depending on the mission choices we make.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, am I missing something, or is this mission ransacking a religious site, stealing sacred artifacts/space drugs, and murdering priests on the grounds that "Hey, we can get money for it!"

WHILE the galaxy is under threat from an aggressive homogenizing swarm, and any alliance with the Protoss, required for any long term victory, is fragile enough a move like this puts it at significant risk?

Raynor, has anyone told you you're kind of a lovely person?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, this is the second time he's done this in the campaign after Smash And Grab, so it's a bit late to be growing a conscience.

Ares-class targeting systems, ultra capacitors, The Dig

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Great Train Robbery, Ultra-Capacitors and Ares-Class Targeting System.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

chiasaur11 posted:

So, am I missing something, or is this mission ransacking a religious site, stealing sacred artifacts/space drugs, and murdering priests on the grounds that "Hey, we can get money for it!"

WHILE the galaxy is under threat from an aggressive homogenizing swarm, and any alliance with the Protoss, required for any long term victory, is fragile enough a move like this puts it at significant risk?

Well, for what it's worth, the particular religious sect of Protoss that we just pilfered are giant dickbags who also hate the main Protoss civilization. Think of them as the spliteriest of splinter groups.

But otherwise, yeah, basically. Raynor is trying to raise his own army, and that requires funding, so if he's gotta steal some smack from some junkie aliens to finance his war machine to kill the bugs, he'll do it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

Because all the paint jobs goliaths get makes them badass even if they aren't the greatest unit.
And doing the Dig before the Great Train Robbery will allow that mission to be hilarious.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

FoolyCharged posted:

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

This sounds good.

I don't care if Goliath's aren't the best unit, 'cause.. Giant gently caress-off mechwalker army, gently caress yeah.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

The Tal'darim's kind of space Al-Qaeda, in that they're religious fanatics who hate everything what ain't them*, so I'd say it's all right.

*I'd elaborate, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

For a little bit I got confused and thought the Goliath upgrades were an either-or choice like the research upgrades, and that made me sad. How can you pick between ridiculous range and simultaneous fire?

Anyway, lets go with all these.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Multi-Lock Weapon Systems and Ares-Class Targeting System for max Goliath punch. Ultra-Capacitors for the nice reload speed boost, and finally, The Dig the bring in Siege Tanks at long last.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Dig, Kinetic Foam, and Vanadium Plating

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Multi-Lock Weapon Systems, Ultra-Capacitors, The Dig

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Advanced Medic Facilities For multi-medic shenaniganery.
Multi-Lock Weapon Systems Because this poo poo comes up much more then you would think.
The Dig Because reasons. Involving loving Siege Tanks. Siege tanks are awesome when used right.

Altogether pretty well done I would say. And that raid on their base... drat...

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

FoolyCharged posted:

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

Put me in for this vote.

Also the Starcraft 1 Goliath's are much cooler than the Starcraft 2 ones. :colbert:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Advanced Medic Facilities, Multi-Lock Weapon Systems, Ultra-Capacitors, and The Dig.

I also wish to see Siege Tanks used in the Great Train Robbery.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

Because all the paint jobs goliaths get makes them badass even if they aren't the greatest unit.
And doing the Dig before the Great Train Robbery will allow that mission to be hilarious.

Thirding. Gols are my favorite unit in all of Starcraft.
Except in SCII they turned into giant goons instead of being cool gasmask dudes

Go ahead Tac-com......

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Votes: Multi-Lock Weapons System, Ares-Class Targeting System and Ultra-Capacitors for upgrades. The Dig for the mission. Because Siege Tanks, do I need another reason?

As for the Ares-Class System, it's a nerf and a bit of a buff compared to the insanely hilarious Charon Boosters from SC1. The nerf is in the missile range being +3 instead of....I think it was +5 or +6 range in SC1, which effectively made Goliaths into mobile Missile Turrets without the Detector ability. But, the Ares gives Goliaths a +1 range buff to their ground cannons, which they never received in SC1. That said, couple the Ares with the Multi-Lock, and Goliaths make up for no longer having the crazy Charon Boosters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Dig, Kinetic Foam, and Ultra-Capacitors.

How has Kate Lockwell not been fired and/or shot yet, she's terrible at staying on message.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

The Tal'darim's kind of space Al-Qaeda, in that they're religious fanatics who hate everything what ain't them*, so I'd say it's all right.

*I'd elaborate, but I'm afraid of spoilers.

I kinda figured they'd reveal something like that later, but for the moment, Raynor doesn't seem to know that.

And it's not like it'd be hard to have a line like "Jimmy, these ain't your buddies. They huff kittens to get in the proper mood for killin' everything that ain't them. Fuckin' them over is a favor to the galaxy."

Jim's reasoning given for "You should leave us alone" was "Hey, we want to steal your stuff. That cool?" not "Well, considering how big of dickbags you are, I think we're neither of us in a position to judge."

He may not be in the wrong, but it's only by coincidence.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

chiasaur11 posted:

I kinda figured they'd reveal something like that later, but for the moment, Raynor doesn't seem to know that.

And it's not like it'd be hard to have a line like "Jimmy, these ain't your buddies. They huff kittens to get in the proper mood for killin' everything that ain't them. Fuckin' them over is a favor to the galaxy."

Jim's reasoning given for "You should leave us alone" was "Hey, we want to steal your stuff. That cool?" not "Well, considering how big of dickbags you are, I think we're neither of us in a position to judge."

He may not be in the wrong, but it's only by coincidence.

I suppose that's true, but to the best of his knowledge, terrazine is widely available on the planet, and he just wants to take some. It'd be kinda like me taking a flower out of your yard, then you trying to murder me with lasers.

Besides, it's not like Terrans are known for their multi-cultural tolerance and understanding... :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

UED Special Ops posted:

Multi-Lock Weapon Systems and Ares-Class Targeting System for max Goliath punch. Ultra-Capacitors for the nice reload speed boost, and finally, The Dig the bring in Siege Tanks at long last.

Seconding this. I want to see the new unit, but my love for Siege Tanks runs too deep and so I must see them unlocked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

chiasaur11 posted:

There literally was a "Jimmy, these ain't your old buddy Protoss" said by Tychus.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ares Class + Multi-lock
Ultra Capacitors
The Dig

Tanks and Goliaths are old friends. Would be a shame to keep them apart.
edit: By which I mean that I vote for this

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 31, 2014

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Synastren posted:

I suppose that's true, but to the best of his knowledge, terrazine is widely available on the planet, and he just wants to take some. It'd be kinda like me taking a flower out of your yard, then you trying to murder me with lasers.

Besides, it's not like Terrans are known for their multi-cultural tolerance and understanding... :v:

Its not like any of the Starcraft factions are known for their multi-cultural tolerance and understanding hence why the galaxy is in the current poo poo show that it is. Hell, the Protoss still burn Terran worlds if they come across one with a Zerg infestation. Even after all that happened in the first game and its expansion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ares Class and Multi-lock, it seems like it's going to win anyway.
Vanadium Plating, increase survivability by half a second.
The Dig, I dig tanks.

DFlux posted:

Its not like any of the Starcraft factions are known for their multi-cultural tolerance and understanding hence why the galaxy is in the current poo poo show that it is. Hell, the Protoss still burn Terran worlds if they come across one with a Zerg infestation. Even after all that happened in the first game and its expansion.
Well the zerg are sort of friendly towards the terrans, offering them a place in their society instead of just slaughtering all of them all the time like the other races.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Multi-lock and Advanced Medic Facility.
Ultra-Capacitors because the best defence is shooting things dead because they can kill you.

The Great Train Robbery because it's a drat train heist and the unit you get from it is pretty cool even if I never used it again after that mission.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Dig, Vanadium Plating, Advanced Medical Facilities, Twin-Linked Flamethrowers

Reactor Medics are amazing, and the game throws lots of Zealots, Marines or Zerglings at you depending on the mission.

More HP is good because the attack speed bonus is negligable anyways.

The Dig because Siege Tanks on the train robbery are hilarious.

Spudd posted:

Put me in for this vote.

Also the Starcraft 1 Goliath's are much cooler than the Starcraft 2 ones. :colbert:

The Goliath and (Non-Dominion) Merc Goliath are based off of two of sc 2 devs. :ms:

DFlux posted:

Artanis is pretty good for it. Or he was in Brood Wars, who knows if that'll change for no reason with no explanation.

Poil posted:

Well the zerg are sort of friendly towards the terrans, offering them a place in their society instead of just slaughtering all of them all the time like the other races.

No, the zerg are pretty keen to slaughter Terran. Infested Terran and the like are usually reconstituted.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno about advanced medical facilities. You might as well just build another barracks with a tech lab and be able to produce more of any unit instead. But that's just my opinion.

Anatharon posted:

No, the zerg are pretty keen to slaughter Terran. Infested Terran and the like are usually reconstituted.
I thought they just got corrupted by the zerg and became like them. Sort of half-zerg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh, I didn't remember the Taldarim actually giving you a warning to get lost BEFORE attacking. That's friendlier than I thought. Nice touch that they added commentary from the characters if you try and harvest from two sites at once.

Goliaths were great anti-air, but they were slow and it was easy to drag them out of position. That's why they were retired for SC2.

Raldan, will you be showing off the alternate versions of missions in bonus videos?

Advanced Medic Facilities (Barracks), Twin-Linked Flamethrowers (Hellion), Ultra-Capacitors, Great Train Robbery

chiasaur11 posted:

And it's not like it'd be hard to have a line like "Jimmy, these ain't your buddies.

I think Tychus basically used that exact line in "Smash and Grab" (or the briefing of it) to warn Raynor that the Protoss there were not his friends.

EDIT: Beaten.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread