Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Finally read through the whole thread.

I wasn't really interested in Tokimemo at first, since my past experiences with straightforward Japanese high school life stories (To Heart 2 and Canvas for PS2) were pretty bland. This really opened my eyes, though, and now I'm going to go out and see if my local Book Off or Seagull has a copy of 2 for the PSP or PS1.

But I'm curious, and I hope it's okay to ask this since it's the Japanese High School Life thread, but when it comes to good straightforward, low-concept Japanese high school life stories, is it pretty much just Tokimemo? Are there any other standout titles I should pick up? I just barely know enough Japanese to comfortably get around in these games, so I'm trying to play catch up and hit the classics that never made it out West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Getsuya posted:

This really opened my eyes, though, and now I'm going to go out and see if my local Book Off or Seagull has a copy of 2 for the PSP or PS1.

2 is not on the PSP, because TokiMemo2 spans five whole discs on the PS1

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ahh, thanks. I saw people talking about playing it on PSP and I thought it was an actual box release, not the PSN version.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Getsuya posted:

Ahh, thanks. I saw people talking about playing it on PSP and I thought it was an actual box release, not the PSN version.

Tokimemo 1 was the only one with a boxed PSP rerelease, and Tokimemo 4 was originally released for the PSP.

As for games that are similar to the Tokimemo "Idealized day-to-day high school life + random weirdness" formula, you don't have too many direct imitators, since most of the games that followed tried to be entirely unique and, as often happens in the Japanese market, "let's try to be unique" spiraled out of control to "what the hell is going on". Persona 3 and 4 also come relatively close, though they stapled the Tokimemo formula and a JRPG together - and lemme tell you, it gave Persona 3 a ton of awkward mechanics. Persona 4 was a vast improvement over 3 in pretty much every way.

My favorite example of this is the Bistro Cupid series, which were released for the original Xbox, PS2, and PC. It adds dungeon crawler and business management game to its daily high school culinary school life portions and romance sim:

Man, I should pull that game out again. It was amazingly weird.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 1, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vibratingsheep posted:

My favorite example of this is the Bistro Cupid series, which were released for the original Xbox, PS2, and PC. It adds dungeon crawler and business management game to its daily high school culinary school life portions and romance sim:

You missed a good opportunity for an AFD post here, changing the thread to an LP of that instead. :sigh: It makes just as much sense as the Nocturne bit in the Devil Survivor 2 thread...

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

You missed a good opportunity for an AFD post here, changing the thread to an LP of that instead. :sigh: It makes just as much sense as the Nocturne bit in the Devil Survivor 2 thread...

I'm not a big believer in AFD pranks, but I could probably stream it tonight - could borrow a friend's Xbox and play the weirdness that is Bistro Cupid 2 for nostalgia and utter weirdness mixed together.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm not a big believer in AFD pranks, but I could probably stream it tonight - could borrow a friend's Xbox and play the weirdness that is Bistro Cupid 2 for nostalgia and utter weirdness mixed together.

I would love to see it!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vibratingsheep posted:

As for games that are similar to the Tokimemo "Idealized day-to-day high school life + random weirdness" formula, you don't have too many direct imitators, since most of the games that followed tried to be entirely unique and, as often happens in the Japanese market, "let's try to be unique" spiraled out of control to "what the hell is going on". Persona 3 and 4 also come relatively close, though they stapled the Tokimemo formula and a JRPG together - and lemme tell you, it gave Persona 3 a ton of awkward mechanics. Persona 4 was a vast improvement over 3 in pretty much every way.

I've been wanting to try a Persona game for a long time. Would you start with 3 or 4?

For some reason, I never even heard of this series until Persona 3 and then it was everywhere. Were 1 and 2 just not good?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Chuu posted:

I've been wanting to try a Persona game for a long time. Would you start with 3 or 4?

For some reason, I never even heard of this series until Persona 3 and then it was everywhere. Were 1 and 2 just not good?

1 and 2 are more along the lines of dungeon crawling RPGs, they aren't that similar to 3 and 4. For which to start with, it depends, if you have a PSP, P3P is great. If you don't, just go straight to P4. Just don't go from the PS2 version of P4 to the PS2 version of P3, because 4's improvements make P3 nearly impossible to play in comparison.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chuu posted:

Personas 1 and 2 were very different games, with hugely different styles and mechanics - much more focus on the occult, and other obscure themes that don't appeal as broadly to the English-speaking gamer. It didn't help that Persona 2 was a 2-part game (P2: Innocent Sin and P2: Eternal Punishment), and only one of the parts came out in English until recently. I vaguely remember enjoying Persona 2, but also being a bit weirded out by the whole thing.

Persona 3 was their first attempt to staple the Tokimeki Memorial daily high school life stat grind/relationship building into a dungeon crawling RPG, and its success was more due to concept than execution, IMO. I tried playing Persona 3 Portable recently and just couldn't deal with its awful pacing.

Persona 4 was a huge, huge improvement on everything Persona 3 got right, and cut away a lot of the crap that its predecessor didn't. I really, really enjoyed P4.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Chuu posted:

If it helps, I literally bought a PS Vita for Persona 4 Golden and consider it a good purchase.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chuu posted:

Persona 3 talks about stuff that I think is ultimately more profound, but its pacing is abhorrent and all the juicy stuff comes in at the veeeery end. Persona 4 is a little less deep/pretentious in concept, but still highly relevant and buoyed by a setup that creates a ton of intruige and helps make the middle portions of the game feel much more relevant than they did in 3. It also has better written and more relatable, three-dimensional and likable characters than you get in 3. Play Persona 4 Golden.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Isn't this the first time Miho and B-ho have both been at school at the same time?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely look these up. I watched the openings for both games and they look great.

Edit: Aww, except only 2 was released for the PS2. 1 is only on Xbox and PC, and the PC version is apparently rare since Amazon.co.jp has no available copies. Darn. Guess I'll just stick with 2.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Just as a warning if you're jumping into P4, it has a very, very slow start. It takes almost a full hour to actually get into the RPG gameplay, and the dating sim stuff doesn't come in until much later, either.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

The April Fool's stream is going live with one of the best dating-cooking-restaurant managing RPGs ever made: Bistro Cupid! I would've played Bistro Cupid 2, but it's not backwards compatible with the Xbox 360, and the Xbox DVD tray is busted. :psyduck:

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While P4 is indeed an improvement over P3 in almost every way, P4's bosses are a boring slog in comparison. Unless Golden fixed that? Is Power Charge + Hasou Tobi still the way to go for every boss?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

While P4 is indeed an improvement over P3 in almost every way, P4's bosses are a boring slog in comparison. Unless Golden fixed that? Is Power Charge + Hasou Tobi still the way to go for every boss?
P4 has that weird difficulty curve where the first boss is the hardest, but it ends better than P3 where the final boss was a total joke if you did any optional grinding at all. (Although I guess P4's final boss difficulty benefits from having a final boss, then a no-for-real-this-time final boss, and a secret true ending final boss. It also has a secret difficulty enhancer called "resisting the urge to use Yukiko." :v:)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SSNeoman posted:

If you consider a combo you can't get until very late in the game (or on NG+) the way to go, sure I guess?

P4's bosses were pretty fun. The increased enemy critical rate on Hard mode was just a dick move though. Nothing like being strong enough to beat a boss but losing solely because they got a crit. :argh:
I think I spent like two weeks on a boss because the rear end in a top hat kept getting a crit at some point in the battle and dropping Megidola.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 2, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Isn't this the first time Miho and B-ho have both been at school at the same time?

Assuming it was, was this random or was it intentional?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That sure was a game about cooking. And fighting. And interior decorating. And money management. And dating girls, I guess.

Best moment was still the main character using a stove while practicing making sashimi.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 14: Preparing for the home stretch.

2/19: Miho event at school

Miho: Fudou-san.
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan. What's up?
Miho: Would you like to come shopping with me this Sunday?
Goon: Yeah, gladly.
Miho: Really? Thank you. I was worried that you might say no.
Goon: So, should we meet in front of the train station?
Miho: That's fine. I'm looking forward to it. See you then.
Goon: (Awesome, I can't wait.)

Look, just because it's happened twice, doesn't mean that Miho is guaranteed to show up for all of these, right?

2/24: Miho's birthday

This event is exactly the same as year 1's birthday, for some reason. So, I'm just going to say we got the best present and leave it at that. I'm not sure why they made year 1 and year 2's presents the same, though.

2/25: Date with...

B-ho! Third time was actually the charm, for once.

B-ho: Isn't that great?
Option 1: What, are you talking about that cute outfit over there?
Option 2: What, are you talking about that sexy outfit over there?
Option 3: What, are you talking about that single-mindedly practical outfit over there?

Same dialogue, different person!

Goon: What, are you talking about that sexy outfit over there?
B-ho: Yes, it's the latest style.
B-ho: I have great taste, right?
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

2/27: Meet Homura (for real, this time)

Why? Because I needed a good fighter on my team.

Homura: The heavens call!
Homura: The earth cries out!
Homura: The crowd roars!
Homura: All calling on me to defeat evil!

Just so you know, this is the Kamen Rider she's quoting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzoHNPdVbA

3/4: Date with Shirayuki-chan

Welcome to spring! B-ho seems happy to be out of her winter wear.

But wait! This is the third date in a row near the shopping center, so punks will show up!

But it's fine - B-ho dropped a rain of frogs on everyone, and things worked out. I'll need an excuse to show off the Drama Club limit break later.

Punk: drat! We have to report this to the boss!

Bring on your boss. Goon will be waiting.

3/5-3/9: Finals

12th: Fudou Gunma
83rd: Hinomoto Hikari
125th: Hokari Jun'ichirou
132nd: Sakaki Takumi
139th: Minazuki Kotoko
189th: Shirayuki Miho

Miho: Fudou-san.
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: It looks like you did pretty well this time.
Goon: I wasn't very confident going in, but it looks like my hard work paid off.
Miho: Good for you! I'm very happy for you.
Goon: (If it makes her this happy, maybe I should keep studying hard.)

3/10: Read the new issue of Hibikino Watcher

New Spot - Billiards at the Hibikino Bowl
Concerts: SPEECH from 5/3-5/20, and the KNM Symphony Orchestra from 6/1-8/31.
Hibikino Stadium: Baseball from 4/1-9/30
Hibikino Central Park: Cherry blossoms in bloom from late March through early April
Movies: Marageddon and LA Continental.

3/14: White Day

Takumi: Hey, could you help me hand out my White Day gifts?
Goon: Why should I?
Takumi: I'm just joking. Later~!

Jun: Hmph. How pointless...
Goon: Did you already give your gift to Minazuki-san, Jun?

Jun: Y, yeah... she, she was really happy.
Goon: (Good for you, Jun.)

Goon: Alright, who should I give this to?
Option 1: Hikari
Option 2: Miho
Option 3: Nobody

Might as well give it to Miho. B-ho has a massive lead at this point, and let's try not to dick around with Hikari any further.

Goon: Alright, let's go give this to Shirayuki-chan.
Goon: (I wonder if she's around?)
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan!
Miho: Oh... I had a feeling I'd see you today.
Miho: What did you want to talk about?
Goon: Here - as thanks for Valentine's Day.

Miho: Thanks, this makes me really happy.
Miho: It's like a dream come true to receive this from you.
Goon: (I didn't expect her to be this happy about it)

3/14: Bomb warning!

One guess who it is!

Yep.

While we're at it, we might as well take a look at Homura's sta... holy crap, girl!

3/19: Poor Mei.

Goon: Hmm? Ijuuin-san? What's wrong? You don't usually walk to school...
Mei: M, m, my brother is my sister and my sister is my mother and Sakunoshin is my sister and Akai Homura is a woman!
Goon: Huh?
(Silenced pistol sound)

Sakunoshin: You heard nothing. Understood?
Goon: Uh, sure.
Goon: But, what about Ijuuin-san?
Sakunoshin: Mei-sama has taken a slightly strong dose of medicine.
Sakunoshin: It is nothing you have to worry about.
Goon: Uh... sure.
Goon: (What's going on? Well, at least one thing is true, Homura is a girl, right?)

So this is an event that I have referred to several times in the course of this LP - partially because it's one of my favorites. You can just hear the panic in Mei's voice as she wanders to school in a daze, after discovering that Rei is actually a girl.

However, this scene also flies in the face of everything Tokimemo 1 established about the Ijuuin family. For one thing, talking to Rei reveals that she is supposed to be an only child. For another, Rei also eventually reveals that all women of the Ijuuin family are raised as men until they reach adulthood. Mei retcons both of these facts, which the writers didn't seem to realize until fans brought it up to them.

When confronted with the evidence, the creators basically shrugged and said "Well, it was funnier this way. So that's the way it is now." Frankly, Tokimemo is better with this change. Mei's just too awesome.

3/19: Bomb warning, stage 2

Goon: Hey Hikari. What's wrong?
Hikari: ...
Goon: Wait, Hikari!
Goon: (I think I hurt Hikari without knowing it...)

Goon, this is the smartest thing about Hikari you have said all run. There are three stages to bomb warnings in Tokimemo 2 before one goes off. The game really, really doesn't want you to get bombed.

3/21: Date at the aquarium

Goon: The penguin show just opened here at the aquarium.
B-ho: Oh yeah?
Goon: Yeah, let's go check it out.

B-ho: That penguin dance routine was really cute!
Option 1: They look so stupid, but I guess you can teach them to dance.
Option 2: That dance is pretty popular right now because of that one commercial, right?
Option 3: Yeah, they're really cute when they waddle around.

Goon: Yeah, they're really cute when they waddle around.
B-ho: I know, it looks like it's so hard for them to walk with those tiny little steps. It's so charming.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

I didn't notice this until I was going through and taking screenshots, but the penguins in the background are ever so slightly animated. It's a pretty nice touch!

And, because the weather is good and Goon gave a good answer, B-ho invites Goon to have dinner. The dialogue is exactly the same, but the outfit changes. That's about it.

And, on April 1st, Disc 3 ends. Disc 4 begins year three, the home stretch for the B-ho run!

Next time: Conspiracy.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

That sure was a game about cooking. And fighting. And interior decorating. And money management. And dating girls, I guess.

Best moment was still the main character using a stove while practicing making sashimi.

I hope Sheep eventually ends up really doing an LP of that. I want to see the roller-girl route.
With the ancient character designs and the whole roller-blade waitress thing you'd think this game was made in the 80s or something (or is it before that? I didn't actually live in the roller-waitress era). But it definitely sold me on getting Bistro Cupid 2 as soon as I can find a copy.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

So is Mei's butler a girl too?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

So is Mei's butler a girl too?

It's actually just Rei in disguise. Gotta protect your little sister that you can't remember having before you suddenly did, after all.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I hope Sheep eventually ends up really doing an LP of that. I want to see the roller-girl route.
With the ancient character designs and the whole roller-blade waitress thing you'd think this game was made in the 80s or something (or is it before that? I didn't actually live in the roller-waitress era). But it definitely sold me on getting Bistro Cupid 2 as soon as I can find a copy.

The first game, at least, isn't a very long playthrough. It has a ton of repeat dialogue, and there's no dungeon exploration like there is in 2. I estimate an actual full playthrough of the game is only, what, 8 hours or so? I could probably pump that out in a weekend when I'm not working on Tokimemo. Bistro Cupid 2 is a significantly deeper game, with more dialogue and actual isometric dungeon exploration.

Schubalts posted:

As far as we know, yes, Valentine's Day is the first time both of them have been seen on the same day - not counting generic days of stat building where Miho hangs out and B-ho shows up after school, because there's no way of knowing if that's actually Miho in tiny 3D form.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So I know the answer is Because It's A Dating Sim, but why can't you just give a White Day gift to all of the people who gave you chocolate? Isn't that how the entire thing works?

I guess Goon is just really lazy.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Mei: M, m, my brother is my sister and my sister is my mother and Sakunoshin is my sister and Akai Homura is a woman!

Forget it, Mei. It's Chinatown.

Maybe the Ijuuins decided that raising their daughters as sons was a dumb idea between TM1 and TM2.

Also, does beating the punks count as a successful date or not? I can't remember.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

So I know the answer is Because It's A Dating Sim, but why can't you just give a White Day gift to all of the people who gave you chocolate? Isn't that how the entire thing works?

I guess Goon is just really lazy.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be your bigger, fancier White Day gift that you spent actual money on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the Miho/B-Ho split is finally starting to impinge itself on our protag.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Achernar posted:

Maybe the Ijuuins decided that raising their daughters as sons was a dumb idea between TM1 and TM2.

Since Rei is the oldest, a decent fanwank explanation could be that she's the main heir of the family, so only she has to go through the "raised as a man" routine.

By the way, I don't remember you mentioning the special event with Rei's butler back in TM1. Does TM2 have anything similar?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Since Rei is the oldest, a decent fanwank explanation could be that she's the main heir of the family, so only she has to go through the "raised as a man" routine.

By the way, I don't remember you mentioning the special event with Rei's butler back in TM1. Does TM2 have anything similar?

Admittedly, my mentions of this event were pretty oblique - whenever someone talked about Rei, I would spoiler tag a link to this video, (start at 7:28): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXA2E2C4PTQ.

The tranquilizer dart bit is also a reference to Tokimemo 1. Midway through the Rei route, Yoshio comes back from a scouting mission and says "Ijuuin is a gi--" (movie silencer sound) (thud). Rei shows up and takes him away to an Ijuuin hospital, after which he comes back and seems to have completely forgotten what he was going to tell you.

Patware posted:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be your bigger, fancier White Day gift that you spent actual money on.

That was the explanation in Tokimemo 1, and pretty much the same thing applies in 2.

Achernar posted:

Also, does beating the punks count as a successful date or not? I can't remember.

It does not. However, losing to the punks counts as a really bad date.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vibratingsheep posted:

Admittedly, my mentions of this event were pretty oblique - whenever someone talked about Rei, I would spoiler tag a link to this video, (start at 7:28): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXA2E2C4PTQ.

The tranquilizer dart bit is also a reference to Tokimemo 1. Midway through the Rei route, Yoshio comes back from a scouting mission and says "Ijuuin is a gi--" (movie silencer sound) (thud). Rei shows up and takes him away to an Ijuuin hospital, after which he comes back and seems to have completely forgotten what he was going to tell you.

Ah yes, I remember that bit. I don't know anything about TM2 beyond what you've posted here, but I've played the SNES version of TM1. Actually, uh... I'm the one who made the abandoned ending patch a while back. :blush:

I liked Rei's story, but what I thought was even funnier was when you always take the alternate way into the Christmas party. (working out instead of improving your looks)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Bwahahaha, I got the Xbox DVD drive working again. Time to stream Bistro Cupid 2, the greatest cooking/restaurant managing/dating/dungeon crawler ever made!

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

(The first post of B-ho year 3 will go up tonight. But first... Bistro Cupid!)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Warning: We are making lots of food puns in chat.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 15: Can't Stop Won't Stop

4/1: Bomb-clearing date at the park with Hikari

Goon: (Hikari's pretty late today...)

Hikari: Sorry! I probably kept you waiting, huh?
Goon: I don't really care about the waiting, but what's with the outfit?
Hikari: I figure, the weather's so nice we have to go cycling!
Hikari: I ended up being late because I was getting my bike ready.
Goon: "We have to go cycling!", you say, but...
Goon: You didn't tell me a thing, and I don't have a bike.

Hikari: What? Oh, you're right.
Hikari: drat, that's a downer.
Goon: ...
Goon: Hikari, want to ride in back?
Hikari: Huh?
Goon: I'm saying I'll pedal, and you can ride in the back.
Goon: The other way's kind of indecent, so I'll take the front!

Hikari: Wow, the breeze feels great!
Goon: Which way should we turn next?
Hikari: Let's head to the lake!
Goon: Okay! Time to fly - hang on tight!
Hikari: I'll be fine! This is easy.

4/5: School starts

Jun: Looks like we're in the same class again.
Goon: Yeah. Let's keep it going smoothly.
Takumi: Hey, I'm in too!
Jun: ...
Goon: ...
Takumi: Hey, what's with the cold shoulder?
Takumi: Geez, whose notes have you two been relying on, huh?
Jun: Ack...
Goon: Ack...
Takumi: Well, You know what they say, we're all in the same boat now. Let's keep it friendly.
Jun: Yeah...
Goon: ...Yessir.

The saying that Takumi quotes here reads 呉越同舟 "Go Etsu doushuu" and literally means "Wu and Yue on the same boat." It comes from a passage in Sun Tzu's Art of War, where he writes "The men of Wu and the men of Yue are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance just as the left hand helps the right." So it implies that sometimes, you have to work with someone you hate to get something done, not just share their fate like the usual "we're in the same boat" can imply in English.

Takumi: Now, there are some introductions to be made, and so I'll see you guys later.
Jun: I, uh, have something I need to take care of too.
Goon: You gonna say hi to Minazuki-san?
Goon: Hey, do your thing.
Jun: Y, yeah.
Goon: (He's so innocent...)

Miho: Fudou-san!
Goon: Oh, hi Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: *giggle* I'm so glad we're in the same class this year.
Goon: Y, yeah? I'm glad too.

Miho: But...
Miho: I wonder if this is cheating?
Goon: Huh? Cheating at what?
Miho: *giggle* I used a little hocus-pocus to put us in the same class together.
Miho: Oh no, I said it out loud...
Goon: (Wait, seriously? Well, I'm moved, at least.)

Goon: (What?!)
Kasumi: My name is Asou Kasumi, one of the new teachers here.
Kasumi: I'll be your homeroom teacher for this year. Nice to meet you, everyone.
Goon: (Kasumi-san?)

Kasumi: Gunma-kun.
Goon: Kasumi-san, if you were going to start teaching here, you could have at least mentioned it to me.
Kasumi: *giggle*
Hikari: Kasumi-san!

Hikari: It worked great, right?
Kasumi: Like a charm. He was sitting there with his mouth hanging open.
Goon: Wait, Hikari, you knew about this?
Hikari: Yup! She told me over the phone, and I promised to keep it a secret.
Kasumi: That's pretty much all there is to it.
Goon: Hahaha, you got me pretty good.

4/12: Black Magic Woman, part 1

Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: Oh no! The sign of calamity is on you!
Goon: What? Oh no! What should I do?
Miho: ...
Miho: As long as you go shopping with me on Sunday, everything will be fine.
Option 1: P, please, take me with you.
Option 2: B, but I already have plans.

Goon: P, please, take me with you.
Miho: Yay! This is going to be so much fun!
Goon: (What? What just happened?)

I have to admit, Miho's game is... at least unique.

4/15: Lucky shopping date

Miho here - that's 3 out of 4 when Miho does the inviting.

Miho: I'm not sure what to get. Could you help me choose?
Option 1: How about the leather trunk in the back?
Option 2: How about the kinchaku in the traditional corner?
Option 3: How about the brand name handbag in the trendy corner?

We've seen this conversation before, and the good answer is 1.

Goon: How about the leather trunk in the back?
Miho: It's very cute! I love the little buckle. I'll buy it!

Miho: Um, I feel like getting some dessert. Could you accompany me?
Goon: Yeah, I wanted some too. It feels like that's exactly what I've been waiting for.
Miho: Are you okay on time?
Goon: Time? Yeah, we're fine.

Looks like Miho's at the point where she asks for extra time on dates, too. There's no real harm in it, and it's probably good to spend some time with Miho to make absolutely sure there's no bomb, either (I keep having to tell her no after school, which adds up)

Miho: Oh, is that the pudding a la mode?
Goon: Yeah, I got it because you were thinking about it for so long, and I figured I'd like it too.
Miho: Was I really taking that long to make a decision? That's a little embarrassing.
Goon: Want the whole thing?
Miho: Th, thanks, but I can't eat that much.
Goon: How about we split it?
Miho: Okay! Thanks.

For anti-bomb purposes, I didn't actually reload this one, since I want to fend off the bombs, more out of pride than anything else.

4/24: Homura and Bakuretsuzan

Homura: Yo! I was about to head to the principal's office, want to come with me?
Goon: Are you in trouble again?
Homura: Nah, I'm just bored and want to hang out with him. Stop asking questions and c'mon!
Goon: Hang out? Is that what you do in the principal's office?

Homura: Hey, Kazumi-chan! We're here to kill some time.
Goon: Shouldn't you be more respectful toward the principal?

Bakuretsuzan's office contains a flag, a tanuki statue, a daisho koshirae, a pair of spears, a statue of a fist, and the phrase 一刀両断 "ittou ryoudan", which means "Cut in two with a single sword stroke" and often is used as a saying to get straight to the point and take swift action. It also is used in the martial arts for... cutting things in half with a single stroke. Bakuretsuzan is kind of manly.

Bakuretsuzan: Oh, if it isn't Homura! What's up?
Homura: Nothing's up, that's why we're here.
Goon: (...)
Bakuretsuzan: Well, it must be peaceful out if the student body president has nothing to do. Wonderful, wonderful.
Homura: I knew you'd understand, Kazumi-chan! That's totally right.
Bakuretsuzan: Gahahahahaha!
Homura: Nyahahahahaha!
Goon: (What's with these two?)

4/29: Call Takumi and ask about date spots

This is a mechanic we haven't really had to use in previous playthroughs, but for some reason, I was unable to invite Miho out to the pool earlier. So, calling Yoshio and Takumi allows you to ask about date spots, where they can point out things you've missed in previous Memorial Spots and Hibikino Watchers.

Takumi: Did you know that the indoor pool is open now?
Takumi: This is your chance to see girls in swimsuits!

After this, I was able to ask Miho out to the pool during Golden Week, and she said yes. Thanks, Takumi, you were actually useful!

This is Takumi's new profile of Hikari, which pretty much confirms our suspicions about his target.

Hinomoto Hikari
Born June 25th
Sign: Cancer | Blood type: A
Height: 157cm
Club: Track team
MEMO: A sporty girl who loves training.
I love her short hair.

Take good care of her, Takumi. Or the goon squad will wring your tiny little neck.

5/1: We're not getting off that easy

Under normal circumstances, when Takumi is going after a girl, that girl will be less likely to invite Goon out on dates and less likely to have free time to go on dates. Hikari is an exception.

Hikari: Gunma-kun!
Goon: Hey, Hikari. What's up?
Hikari: I'm planning on going to the indoor pool this Sunday, want to come with me?
Goon: Yeah, gladly.
Hikari: Great! Haha, I think my heart skipped a beat for a second there.

Saying no to a date accelerates the bomb meter quite a bit, and we have more than enough leeway to say yes.

5/4: B-ho at the pool

B-ho showed up this time.
Goon: Indoor pools are nice, you can swim whenever you want, no matter what the weather is like.
B-ho: Sure, but it's not that nice for someone like me, who doesn't like swimming.
Goon: Don't say that. There's more to do than just swim. Let's go, Shirayuki-chan.

B-ho: I picked this out based on my horoscope. Does it look good?
Option 1: It's a cute swimsuit, it matches you perfectly.
Option 2: That's the latest style, isn't it? It suits you well.
Option 3: That doesn't work for you at all.

Again, the choice is obvious.

Goon: That's the latest style, isn't it? It suits you well.
B-ho: I didn't even take my own tastes into account when I picked, and this is how it turned out. I was surprised!

Uh-huh. Sure.

Follow-up date excised because the dialogue is still the same.

5/6: Hikari at the pool

Goon: It's really nice to have a place to swim when it isn't summer.
Hikari: Definitely.

Hikari: Wow, everyone's wearing such daring swimsuits. I can't wear anything like that at all.
Option 1: No way, it'd look good on you.
Option 2: Maybe going plain would be better.
Option 3: Anything would work on you, Hikari.

Goon: Anything would work on you, Hikari.
Hikari: What? No way! Me?
Hikari: D, Don't make fun of me like that.

For once, I actually said no to the follow-up date. Let's not get TOO accommodating.
Goon: Sorry, I have to hurry home.
Hikari: Is, is that so?
Hikari: Sorry. Bye!

6/2: The final Sports Festival!

Goon: Man, it's lunch already?
Hikari: Ta-dah!
Goon: Hey, Hikari. What's with the entrance?
Hikari: Hey! Let's eat our bento over there.
Goon: Sure, why not?

Hikari: Haha! Today, I made us special Sports Festival bento, full of energy.
Goon: Whoa! That piece looks delicious. Yoink!
Hikari: Hey, no fair! Fine, I'll start too.
Goon: Oh no, that one was my favorite!
Hikari: That's your own fault for not grabbing it, then!
Goon: Dammit! Fine, if that's the way it is, no more mister nice guy.
Hikari: That's fine by me. It's no holds barred when we're hungry.

Goon: I don't quite know how it happened, but I feel really full right now.
Hikari: Geez! It's because you ate nearly all of my special bento!
Goon: Hey, you ate most of mine, too!
Hikari: Hahahaha, oh yeah, huh? I guess we're both guilty.

For the third year in a row, I chose kibasen as my event. It lets me get the most aggression out of my system. Also, I can't look at this pose the same way since I found out about the Hawkeye Initiative.

B-ho: Fudou-san!
Goon: Hey, Shirayuki-chan. What's up?
B-ho: Have you picked your kibasen team yet?
Goon: No, not yet.
B-ho: Then do you want to be on my team?
Goon: Of course!
B-ho: Thanks!
Goon: Let's kick some butt!

Butt was kicked. Since B-ho's requirements were met long ago, the only things left to build stats for are graduation day and boss fights. So Goon's Exercise stat is pretty respectable now.

B-ho: Awesome! You carried the whole team to victory!
B-ho: That was so exciting!
Goon: Y, you think so?
Goon: (She's so excited about it, she's making me blush.)

6/10: Rainy date with B-ho

Man, B-ho is really interested in showing off the goods.

By that, of course, I mean the brand logo on her umbrella, which is the same VK as her handbag and backpack.

B-ho: Oh, there's a jacuzzi here.
Option 1: Do you like jacuzzis, Shirayuki-chan?
Option 2: Yeah, there's one at every indoor pool.
Option 3: Forget about that, we should go swimming.

Goon: Do you like jacuzzis, Shirayuki-chan?
B-ho: Yeah, I love them. It feels so nice in a jacuzzi, right?
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression.)

Follow-up excised; the dialogue is still the same.

The cruelest thing about this date is that in order to get a B-ho event, Miho has to be the one who shows up! Sigh. The RNG is so cruel.

RELOAD COUNT: 127

Miho this time. Good!

Goon: You look really cute, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: Oh... don't look at me like that, it's embarrassing!
Goon: Oh, sorry! Was I staring?
Miho: No, but I feel so self-conscious in a swimsuit.
Goon: (Wow, she looks even cuter when she's acting shy. Wait, what am I thinking about? Change the subject!)
Goon: Let's go on the water slide, Shirayuki-chan.
Miho: What? N, no, that looks really scary. I'll pass.
Goon: Don't worry about it! It's not dangerous at all, so you shouldn't be scared.
Miho: B, but my legs might get all tangled up and I could get stuck.
Goon: Fine, I'll show you it's not scary at all. Wait here.
Miho: Okay.

Goon: (Ugh. I told her it wasn't scary, but from up here, it actually is pretty scary.)
Goon: (I just need to calm down, and...)

Goon: What? Shirayuki-chan?!
Miho(?): !!
Goon: When did you get here? You were at the bottom just a second ago.
Miho(?): ...
Goon: Hey, don't be like that, say something.
(push)
Goon: AUGH!

Miho(?): How was the slide?
Goon: AAAAAUGH!
Miho(?): What's wrong? Why are you acting so spooked?
Goon: Wait, what?
Miho(?): Now, let's just relax and enjoy ourselves.
Goon: Y, yeah. Good idea.

For Miho purposes, this counts as a good-but-not-great date. For reference, the game's name for this event is "Teleportation".

6/10: Read Memorial Spot

New Spot (top left): Sculpture exhibit at the museum! 9/11-11/30.
Movie (bottom left): LA Continental.
The roller coaster is closing! (top right): It closes on 8/31!
Upcoming events (Bottom right): Beach opens 7/1.
Night Parade at the amusement park starts mid-August
Ennichi on the 4th Sunday of July.
Fireworks show at the end of August.

Next time: Searching for a worthy opponent.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 17, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Huh so they ARE two different people.
And I can't believe I missed BC2 stream! Dammit :argh:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Y'know, Goon's running out of excuses not to notice that there's two Mihos, particularly when one is both much keener on showing off her assets and (at the risk of sounding like a creepy sperglord) visibly more endowed.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Eh, it's a story with romance at it's core. In the end, you gotta give it some leeway to be kinda stupid, which is easy in this case because the game is otherwise really good in terms of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Y'know, Goon's running out of excuses not to notice that there's two Mihos, particularly when one is both much keener on showing off her assets and (at the risk of sounding like a creepy sperglord) visibly more endowed.

To be fair to Goon, he doesn't actually have eyes.

• Locked thread