Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

The Marlins I don't know anything about, except they have a real promising young pitcher (they'll probably eventually lose) and an amazing young slugger (they will definitely lose) and a horrible owner who sold off everything of value to save $$$.
Understand that, though I am a former Marlins fan, I say the following not out of hometown hyperbole, but honest impartial opinion:

Jeffrey Loria is the most damaging owner in baseball.

Not just the worst, but actually a terrible, damaging force. He was instrumental in destroying the Expos, dismantling them and sending them to Washington, and he is a foul pox on Miami as well.

Joe Girardi was let go after winning Manager of the Year in Miami by getting 25 teenagers to play almost .500 ball, because he had the temerity to stand up in the dugout and tell Loria to shut up and stop heckling the Ump over balls and strikes from his seat.

Loria bullied and buffaloed the city into building him a giant new park instead of letting him try and shop around an ailing team that he has shown a record of systematically dismantling before he came crawling back to pay for it on his own.

Loria also spent big the first year of the Miami Marlins' season, only to summarily ship off, release and otherwise break contracts signed with players, which ensures that no free agent will sign anything with Miami ever again unless it's paid up front.

The sooner Loria gets a painful wasting disease, the better life will be for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Jonah Keri's new book puts most of the blame for the Expos' disintegration on the Montreal business community, rather than Loria. But yeah, he sucks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I still think that the city of Miami should have bought the Marlins from Loria when he threatened to pack up and leave, rather than give him a stadium gratis.

More cities should just pony up for the teams. If they aren't profitable (as the owners claim), then let them be owned by an institution that doesn't need them to be profitable.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tharizdun posted:

I still think that the city of Miami should have bought the Marlins from Loria when he threatened to pack up and leave, rather than give him a stadium gratis.

More cities should just pony up for the teams. If they aren't profitable (as the owners claim), then let them be owned by an institution that doesn't need them to be profitable.

I am completely sure that leagues have rules against this now. Buffalo tried that with the Bills.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

AsInHowe posted:

I am completely sure that leagues have rules against this now. Buffalo tried that with the Bills.

The MLB Owners group has to approve any new owner, or ownership group, before the sale of an MLB franchise can happen.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Tharizdun posted:

Leagues would never allow public ownership of teams, because it would take away the existing owners' leverage to extract hundreds of millions of free money from taxpayers. Also, most ultra-rich people are ideologically committed to fighting against it regardless of their own short-term interests.

e: To contribute to Brewers Chat, Yovani Gallardo is a big wildcard for them. If he's bad again, I think their rotation will be too bad to compete.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 2, 2014

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If nobody's done Red Sox I will make a low effort poop post

I'm working on something actually if that's cool (it won't suck I promise)

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

bluh posted:

i was looking forward to kyoon's fyad-lite team summary, but I'm glad you'll put in effort

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 3, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bluh posted:

Well I'll post my lovely one and then you can post your good one.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Indians Mini Writeup

Bourn- overpaid, better hope he can get and stay healthy and have a bounce back year. 30 plus steals would really help the club.

Kipnis- Going forward will be a perennial AS, locked up through 18 or 19, plus we are trying to extend him, cool dude and best player on the team.

Swisher- Need him to raise his AVG 10 points this season. His OBP is good though, so he was still decent with a down year in AVG last year. I like his glove at first, but maybe I am alone in that.

Santana- Hopefully he will break out and get 30 dingers and hit 280plus this season. Moving to 3rd is good move because Lonnie sucks, but we are not maximizing value here because we have no real DH. Should have gotten Cruz you cheapos. Would love to bring in Morales to DH.

Brantley- Locked him up long-term this offseason, clutch player, good speed, good D, would like a little more pop, but not everyone is a slugger.

Murphy/Raburn- Supposed to platoon in right, but Raburn is DHing so far, because we don't have a real DH, again not optimizing our pieces.

Gomes- Great defensive catcher, don't run on him either kiddos. Probably will regress at least a little this season, but 285 with 20 or so dingers would be p cool.

Cabrera- Straight garbage, maybe he can bounce back this year, either way he is just keeping the seat warm for 5 star prospect Francisco Lindor next season.

Aviles/Giambi- Cool bench dudes, Giambi is on the DL right now, but once healthy he'll see some ABs at DH, plus is a great clubhouse leader and an extra coach.

Masty- Dolans will kick themselves when he outpitches the silly discounted offer he gave them, which they were too cheap to accept. Lower level ACE, but the best we've got.

Salazaar- Super cool dude who follows me on Twitter because of my strong takes. Can hit triple digits on the gun. Has the highest ceiling and in an ideal world would be a strong 1 2 punch moving forward with Masterson

Kluber- I guess he is sort of a big deal because there is a Corey Kluber Society on Fangraphs.

Axford- The Cardinals told him he was tipping his pitches so he worked on that and I would expect him to be above average to good this season. A bag of mids is an upgrade over Perez though.

IDK, let me know if there is anyone else you want to hear about, but keep in mind it is only my second season really following BB as an adult.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It was nice that you tried, Michael.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Pander posted:

It was nice that you tried, Michael.

Well, that is just my opinion really. What is wrong with it? I know that I don't really know anything.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Imasalmon posted:

The MLB Owners group has to approve any new owner, or ownership group, before the sale of an MLB franchise can happen.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of corporate or anti-trust law.

1) Wasn't there a something related to the sale of the Dodgers where it looked, for a moment, like a judge might decree that the highest bidder had to be given ownership, mlb be damned, because of the debts that had to paid? (maybe it was to do with the Astros sale?)

2) Wasn't there also a court case recently that was threatening MLB's exception to the anti-trust act?

Were these the same court battles?

And, if MLB were to lose its exception to anti-trust could that open the door to challenging the 'current owners must approve all future owners' thing?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Michael Corleone posted:

Well, that is just my opinion really. What is wrong with it? I know that I don't really know anything.

I think he means you should post it in the Writeup thread :)

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well I'll post my lovely one and then you can post your good one.

deal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I added a twins writeup to the thread for you guys.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Capt. Sticl posted:

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of corporate or anti-trust law.

1) Wasn't there a something related to the sale of the Dodgers where it looked, for a moment, like a judge might decree that the highest bidder had to be given ownership, mlb be damned, because of the debts that had to paid? (maybe it was to do with the Astros sale?)

2) Wasn't there also a court case recently that was threatening MLB's exception to the anti-trust act?

Were these the same court battles?

And, if MLB were to lose its exception to anti-trust could that open the door to challenging the 'current owners must approve all future owners' thing?

The Supreme Court has basically come around to "baseball really shouldn't have an anti-trust exemption but we're not going to take it away from them, that's up to Congress"

Even without a broad anti-trust exemption, the NHL went to court and won the right to control who can buy and sell a team. The owner of the Phoenix Coyotes wanted to sell them to the Blackberry guy through bankruptcy court, because the guy had hosed up two other attempts to purchase NHL teams and move them to Hamilton, Ontario, and the other NHL owners were tired of his poo poo and vetoed the sale through the usual channels.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

What can and cannot be used for contract incentives now? I had thought after A-Rod's last contract MLB put a stop to contract incentives that weren't based on playing time. Looking at Cabrera's extension though, I guess that was just about arbitrary counting stat incentives, and award based incentives are still good? Also Cabrera's contract is the first time I remember seeing an option vesting based on MVP voting, has that happened often before?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ninja alamode posted:

What can and cannot be used for contract incentives now? I had thought after A-Rod's last contract MLB put a stop to contract incentives that weren't based on playing time. Looking at Cabrera's extension though, I guess that was just about arbitrary counting stat incentives, and award based incentives are still good? Also Cabrera's contract is the first time I remember seeing an option vesting based on MVP voting, has that happened often before?

You can have incentives based on playing time. You cannot have performance based incentives.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can have incentives based on playing time. You cannot have performance based incentives.

Not quite. You can't have performance based stats as incentives, but awards are fair game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What does it mean when someone says a ballpark is pitcher friendly? My roommate explained it to me by saying that it might be a bigger park that make home runs less likely, and something about altitudes that make it harder/easier to throw, but he was only half paying attention to my questions and didn't elaborate much.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Basically, conditions that make it more difficult to hit home runs. These can be large dimensions, or they can be a climate that doesn't allow the ball to travel as fast (cold and humid weather, or wind patterns that blow fly balls back).

Balls fly a lot farther at high altitude, so while Colorado's stadium is one of the biggest in the country, it also allows the most offense.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Big foul areas keeping foul pops in play helps a lot, too. A park that is laid out so that most days the wind is blowing in toward the plate is another factor, or such that shadows make it difficult to pick up the ball from the pitcher's hand on many days.

It could also mean a soft infield that slows down ground balls and makes them easier to field.

Essentially, it implies a number of conditions which collectively make it harder to hit (and particularly hit home runs) and thus help to boost any pitcher's stats.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Got it, so it makes it harder to play offense, but doesn't that handicap your own team as well?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

canuckanese posted:

Got it, so it makes it harder to play offense, but doesn't that handicap your own team as well?

Yep, but it also makes your pitching more effective, so it cuts both ways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Not quite. You can't have performance based stats as incentives, but awards are fair game.

Those aren't performance based anyway :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those aren't performance based anyway :)

Sure they are, just not always the performance from the current year.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
If you're new to baseball and live in the contiguous 48, check out a local minor league game. Seats that are $100+ at major league parks can be had for $5. Being at a game lets you notice things the camera doesn't focus on - the first baseman talking to the runner, managers giving signals in, shifting defenses.

Also showing up to work hungover because yesterday was dollar beer and dog night is about as American as you can get.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Coco13 posted:

If you're new to baseball and live in the contiguous 48, check out a local minor league game. Seats that are $100+ at major league parks can be had for $5. Being at a game lets you notice things the camera doesn't focus on - the first baseman talking to the runner, managers giving signals in, shifting defenses.

Also showing up to work hungover because yesterday was dollar beer and dog night is about as American as you can get.

I've heard about dollar beer night but I don't know how to find out when they are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Drunk Tomato posted:

I've heard about dollar beer night but I don't know how to find out when they are.

Go on your local team's website and check.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Working at a radio station means i get to go and sit in on the local college summer league from time to time and get discounted food. Mmmm cheese curds and bratwurst. Also the games are okay.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Maybe I'm getting old but I'd think I'd rather attend $50 beer night at a baseball game than dollar beer night?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Of course the promotions page went up today, that was the problem.

Two dollar Coors, ehhhhhhh OK.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
One of the great things about going to minor league games is that it gives you a head start on your irrational attachment to players. I was bummed when Jacoby Ellsbury left the Red Sox, not because he'll make the Yankees better (I mean he will, right up until he runs into the outfield wall and his body shatters into a million pieces), but because I'd seen him play with the Portland Sea Dogs and became a fan even before he made it to the big leagues.

It's also a... less star-driven experience than a major league game; in that same game I also got to see Clay Bucholz pitch a no-hitter through six innings. In the majors it doesn't matter if the guy's thrown 397 pitches, if he's got a no-no going the manager'll leave him in; in the minors? Not so much. He got pulled after six.

Minor league ballgames rule, is my point.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Amen. Went to my first minor league game last August. Seats with this view ran me $16.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

tadashi posted:

Maybe I'm getting old but I'd think I'd rather attend $50 beer night at a baseball game than dollar beer night?

I'm nearing thirty and I'd still love to go to dollar beer night and be carried out by security, screaming about some bullshit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I'm nearing thirty and I'd still love to go to dollar beer night and be carried out by security, screaming about some bullshit.

I used to live walking distance from a Carolina league ball park. Great place, basically brand new beautiful park. They carried local microbrews as their beers and had half priced Thursdays - 32 oz microbrews for three bucks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm heading to Oak Island, NC in July. The closest bigger town is probably Wilmington and I don't think it's too ridiculously far from Myrtle Beach. I was thinking about maybe making a quick drive to a minor league game when I'm on vacation. Any affiliated clubs nearby there? Went to Charleston last time I visited the Carolinas but that's a little farther than I want to drive this time I think.

e: looks like Myrtle Beach has a SallyCarolina league team, but am I missing anything closer in NC?

Devo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

One of my favorite baseball stories was at a minor league game. We were sitting out in right field and this kid was heckling the right fielder. During one of the inning breaks, he asked the player for an autograph. Dude walks over with the baseball he was throwing around, gets almost to the kid, and goes, "Haha, nope," then hurls a beautiful strike all the way to the catcher while everyone in the section cackled.

And yeah, it was fun to go to (or watch) a Rangers game and be like "Oh, we saw that guy at Round Rock" and "Oh, he must've gotten the call up". We saw Alexi Ogando throw for the Express several times and I finally understood why people say you can HEAR the difference when a dude is throwing high-90s. I also still have a fondness for BJ Upton because my friends and I gave him so much poo poo in Durham when I lived there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Devo posted:

I'm heading to Oak Island, NC in July. The closest bigger town is probably Wilmington and I don't think it's too ridiculously far from Myrtle Beach. I was thinking about maybe making a quick drive to a minor league game when I'm on vacation. Any affiliated clubs nearby there? Went to Charleston last time I visited the Carolinas but that's a little farther than I want to drive this time I think.

e: looks like Myrtle Beach has a SallyCarolina league team, but am I missing anything closer in NC?

Myrtle Beach is the closest affiliated team. Where are you traveling through to get to Oak Island? For higher-level ball, there's the Charlotte Knights and the Durham Bulls, who are both AAA.

• Locked thread