Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
IlClan outline released! And on such an auspicious day, too!

http://benhrome.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/00-ilclan-outline-final.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mukaikubo posted:

Everyone dies, seems legit.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

KingFisher posted:

Any of you nerds know where to get battletech ccg cards cheap?

Let us know if you find a good place or ebay seller. I'd be interested in picking up some more. I bought some back when it came out, but would love to find the rules and build a few decks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mukaikubo posted:

I hope this is real because it's awesome. I can't stand the Battletech board game and none of the novelizations are hugely readable to me any more, but I like reading about the setting and I admire the writers' (relative) willingness to mix up the status quo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I could believe it because Davion gets the Republic, with all the cool toys they have.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I could get behind it because
"define exist"

When all clans are absorbed. There is only ilClan.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Leo Showers posted:

I could believe it because Davion gets the Republic, with all the cool toys they have.

Yeah, but then he Loses it all to the ilClan

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

People who got the reprinted Battletech set.....
are the 2 maps in the set different?

The improved minis would be nice to have, different maps would seal the deal for me.

Sir Vanderhosen
Feb 18, 2011

tuluk posted:

People who got the reprinted Battletech set.....
are the 2 maps in the set different?

The improved minis would be nice to have, different maps would seal the deal for me.

They're both double sided with different maps on each side, so a total of four different maps to play on.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ah ok. I wasn't clear with my question.
Are the included maps in the 2014 re-release the same hexmaps that shipped with the 2011 release?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Also, the new edition is worth it, I take it - but is it worth it for the minis alone? I still have my set from 1985 with the maps and cardboard stand-up 'mechs in good shape.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Apollodorus posted:

Also, the new edition is worth it, I take it - but is it worth it for the minis alone? I still have my set from 1985 with the maps and cardboard stand-up 'mechs in good shape.

26 mechs (a spread of pre-3049 and 2x clan mech kits) for $55 comes to around $2.30 each for the minis alone. Whether you feel you need them or not is up to you, but it's a pretty decent deal.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It looks really neat but I'd only use them as WoB Protectorate Militia, and I'm playing WoB as a campaign (yet).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hubis posted:

26 mechs (a spread of pre-3049 and 2x clan mech kits) for $55 comes to around $2.30 each for the minis alone. Whether you feel you need them or not is up to you, but it's a pretty decent deal.
Also the really nice new maps.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Apollodorus posted:

The maps are foldout paperboard this time around, they may be more practical for you if you need to play on a rough table or if you would like a sturdier surface to set heavy miniatures on.

The whole set is generally geared to be less flimsy in general.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

Could anyone rehost that joke pdf?
Never got a chance to read it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The maps are foldout paperboard this time around, they may be more practical for you if you need to play on a rough table or if you would like a sturdier surface to set heavy miniatures on.

The whole set is generally geared to be less flimsy in general.

The mapsheets from the last boxed set were really nice, I don't use them because we have 3D terrain at my club.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mukaikubo posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the Battletech forums are treating this obvious April Fool's joke as legit, other than "they're really dumb and gullible"?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the Battletech forums are treating this obvious April Fool's joke as legit, other than "they're really dumb and gullible"?

Mostly because they're dumb. But partially because of the similar gag a few years back that turned out kinda true. It was supposed to be an outline for Wars of the Reaving and included a few true bits amongst all the crap, Clan Ice Scorpion(aka the merger of the scorps and ice hellions) and the death of the Bloodspirits iirc.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And it leads to a new Star League that will no doubt collapse and return us to the glory days of hunting for a spare arm actuator.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

Mostly because they're dumb. But partially because of the similar gag a few years back that turned out kinda true. It was supposed to be an outline for Wars of the Reaving and included a few true bits amongst all the crap, Clan Ice Scorpion(aka the merger of the scorps and ice hellions) and the death of the Bloodspirits iirc.

Free Taiw... St Ives also had massive speculative hints to how 3250 was going to look.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Kommando posted:

Free Taiw... St Ives also had massive speculative hints to how 3250 was going to look.

It was also the best lampoon of typical BT fans' opinions of a couple of specific factions. I will always treasure it deeply.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Well because Ben posted over on Facebook that it's not all a joke? And he's done it before? Multiple times?

sukhoi_vegas
Apr 8, 2014
So what happened to the proposed new 'mechs from injection plastic? The Loki and Thor in the intro boxset were quite nice, but are there plans to keep expanding that line with that technology?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well they just released the Battlemaster and Mad Cat.... so yeah?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Arquinsiel posted:

Well they just released the Battlemaster and Mad Cat.... so yeah?

On Catalyst's site?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, in the new box set.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Era Digest: Dark Age is out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rifleman III: It's amazing how much better Gausszilla can get if you just removed one of its Rifles to slap on defensive equipment.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did you miss how Gausszilla has enough ammo to fire 12.8 times, while the Rifleman III only has enough to fire twice?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Which is why it camped out with ammo reloads in its article!

It's a shame the Superheavy rules aren't actually compatible with the rest of the game's balance, despite the rules technically having been written in to work in it. So many artificial restrictions bringing down the possibilities one can have with twice the critical space.

Then again, rules for grounded DropShips exist.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So can someone tell me what the deal with the official 'Mech design program is? It seems really janky, horrendously expensive, and doesn't even seem to natively support a range of years-old technology. Why is it still even being sold when free programs like SSW outstrip it by a wide margin?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Breetai posted:

So can someone tell me what the deal with the official 'Mech design program is? It seems really janky, horrendously expensive, and doesn't even seem to natively support a range of years-old technology. Why is it still even being sold when free programs like SSW outstrip it by a wide margin?

Because of bad reasons and tantrums, ip law and lawyers fees

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kommando posted:

Because of bad reasons and tantrums, ip law and lawyers fees
Basically this. Use SSW for everything, ignore HMP.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Im intrigued now. Any way to get the specifics? :suspense:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

HMP guy has been working on BV2 implementation in Heavy Metal for 5+ years now, i think.
His excuse was that too many publications were being released each year for him to keep up.

e: oh yeah, binary domain isn't really battletech related but it did giant mechs really well.
this is the hollander basically.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 17, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC he actually had some illness issues to deal with too, but the licence was in some way stuck with him and nobody cares enough to get it back.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

And you're back, from outer space,
and im walking on and shooting your slow mech right there in the face.
You shouldn't have landed your dropship here,
you should have left this planet be,
if you'd know you'd be here trading ammunition with the likes of me.

Oh now roll, consciousness check.
Now you failed, and your mech lies there still upon the deck.
I am the one
Who broke your fancy mech.
Your armour crumbled
You just lay there and die.
Oh just die.

You won't survive.
While I will survive.
As long as my reactors running
I know I will be alive.
I've got all these guns on you.
And there's nothing you can do.
You won't survive.
I will survive.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 27, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Played my first game of this in, oh, twenty-odd years against a kid who hadn't even been born at that time and he was a groggier nard than I was.

That said, it was a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fix posted:

Played my first game of this in, oh, twenty-odd years against a kid who hadn't even been born at that time and he was a groggier nard than I was.

That said, it was a lot of fun!

Where are you finding these kids that actually play BattleTech, everybody I try to get into the game gets all distracted by them videogame flashes and beeps

• Locked thread