Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I've actually had more fun with Last Rebellion than Cross Edge.

YES I'M STILL WORKING ON THOSE.

The fact that you didn't just destroy those the second you got them out of the box I sent them to you in is impressive. (I'm so sorry, but I needed those out of my house.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

What's the word on Guided Fate Paradox? I really dug ZHP, but heard some iffy stuff about it.

It is like ZHP but less good.

It's much easier (and ZHP wasn't hard) and the gameplay mechanics are designed in such a way that it de-emphasizes the roguelike aspects in a bad way. You're at very very little risk of running out of resources or dying. It uses a lot of really similar mechanics but almost universally they're less well designed and less fun. ZHP hit a really good sweet spot and GFP kind of doesn't.

Also the cutscenes are loving constant. Literally a cutscene after every single floor. And the story and characters are really boring so this isn't a good thing.

It isn't horrible but it's kind of a step back from ZHP in every way but visuals. I actually went back and replayed ZHP after playing GFP and just had straight-up more fun with ZHP in every way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

The fact that you didn't just destroy those the second you got them out of the box I sent them to you in is impressive. (I'm so sorry, but I needed those out of my house.)
Dude it's Syrg, I see that fucker playin' like Revelations 2012 on Steam and trying his best to find something positive to say about it. He's a trooper. A madman, but a trooper nonetheless.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I maintain that Cross Edge had some nice ideas somewhere under all that poo poo. Just... quite a way down. Either way, the combo strings are basically burnt into my mind at this point.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stelas posted:

I maintain that Cross Edge had some nice ideas somewhere under all that poo poo. Just... quite a way down. Either way, the combo strings are basically burnt into my mind at this point.

I still have that handy guide you made me saved. It's just mostly that I can pick up Last Rebellion and play for a bit and Cross Edge kinda requires me to sit down and puzzle out what the hell's next most of the time.

The White Dragon posted:

Dude it's Syrg, I see that fucker playin' like Revelations 2012 on Steam and trying his best to find something positive to say about it. He's a trooper. A madman, but a trooper nonetheless.

Oh c'mon, it's not like I defend every game (that would make me Dominic White). I'm entirely willing to put bad games on blast.

(Rev 2012 is no longer a bad game though.)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't enjoy a good game of Rev 2012 or Doom Rails you're just being silly.

the family guy game, on the other hand

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I still have that handy guide you made me saved. It's just mostly that I can pick up Last Rebellion and play for a bit and Cross Edge kinda requires me to sit down and puzzle out what the hell's next most of the time.

Yeah, for sure. Beating Cross Edge without using pay2win DLC generally tended to require a lot of grinding for equipment and a lot of thought on how best to use AP. It honestly bugs the poo poo out of me - I love the complexity and effort involved in the system, I just wish it wasn't attached (repeatedly) to IF games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I still maintain that IF has at least a couple of brilliant people on staff, but it's kind of lost when the rest of the company either doesn't give a poo poo or is totally insane and/or psychotic in the worst of ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of IF games should be good games, they're just not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been messing with it a little bit, but overall the gem crafting process in Xenoblade completely confounds me. Is it basically random what flames are used? There's no sort of timing mechanism? Just mash A and hope for the best?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
There's a post from the Xenoblade thread that did a pretty good job of explaining it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727&pagenumber=63&perpage=40#post403503981

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And I thought Tales of Graces' Dualizing system was convoluted :shepface:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It ain't that tough to wrap your head around it after you try it a few times to see how it works. But really you don't even have to do any advanced gem crafting unless you want to tackle the postgame stuff.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Started playing Arx Fatalis, the controls are pretty hosed at first but it's a really sweet game.. Surprised I never played this 10 years ago. Probably because I was playing WOW.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
So I just got a PS3 and with all the great games I'm looking to pick up, I gotta ask - what's so awful about Star Ocean 4? I love the series so I'm really loath to skip any installment.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

So I just got a PS3 and with all the great games I'm looking to pick up, I gotta ask - what's so awful about Star Ocean 4? I love the series so I'm really loath to skip any installment.

every aspect of the story and characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

O__O fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 3, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Started playing Arx Fatalis, the controls are pretty hosed at first but it's a really sweet game.. Surprised I never played this 10 years ago. Probably because I was playing WOW.

It's the closest we'll ever get to Ultima Underworld III (unfortunately). It's still good, but check out Ultima Underworld I & II if you enjoy Arx. UWII is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

O__O posted:

every aspect of the story and characters:

gently caress you why do you gotta reopen this wound? gently caress is this poo poo terrible.

"aaahh.... aa.. a.... aaahhhhhh....."

Its like they were trying to do the worst job voice acting. The whole game might be worth a playthrough if you think of it as the Plan 9 From Outer Space of JRPGS.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Admittedly those videos are atrocious, but the International version is supposed to have Japanese audio too, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'll say it again - SO4 is better than 3. It always has been, it always will be. That includes voice-acting.

People just haven't played SO3 in a decade so they forgot this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVuSl0t5zc

And that's the big, epic climax finale. They pulled out all the stops for their voice-acting there.

Also both those linked PAs are optional. You can easily go through the game without watching a single one of them. You just pick "Sleep for rest of voyage" or something.

I should also point out that Sarah's voice-acting isn't better in Japanese. You know why? 'cuz her character is founded on being mentally retarded. So she sounds mentally retarded.

Till the End of Time deserves to be buried with all those ET cartridges. I'll play SO4 every day for the rest of my life before I touch that poo poo again.

But yeah...ignoring the fact I hate SO3 with a fiery passion, SO4 is a fun game. It has some cool music and pretty environments. I'd recommend trying it. Just play it for the gameplay, which is what tri-Ace is all about anyway. Also yes the PS3 version does allow you to switch to the Japanese audio.

What a fabulous coincidence this is though as I also just got a PS3. I think I'm gonna finally try one of the Tales games since it apparently has similar combat to SO.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 3, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Did the team that made Valkyrie Profile at tri-ace get exiled or something? That was a great game with an interesting plot and a female lead who wasn't noticeably different from her male counterparts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Walker posted:

Did the team that made Valkyrie Profile at tri-ace get exiled or something? That was a great game with an interesting plot and a female lead who wasn't noticeably different from her male counterparts.

Valkyrie Profile was like Enix's Chrono Trigger in that everyone involved was at the top of their game and have never really reached those heights again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even Mitsuda? Chrono Cross and Xenogears are supposed to be Mitsuda's crowning achievements I thought.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Even Mitsuda? Chrono Cross and Xenogears are supposed to be Mitsuda's crowning achievements I thought.

Chrono Cross definitely. Xenogears is alright but it's all ambient music. It's done well, it's just not as listenable IMO. Didn't he almost die after doing the CC soundtrack or something? I read something to the effect that he is such a perfectionist and he worked so hard and so long on it he suffered exhaustion, but that could be hyperbole.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was Chrono Trigger; he had stomach ulcers from overworking. This is why some of the tracks are by Uematsu.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NikkolasKing posted:

Mitsuda didn't do the music for Valkyrie Profile, Motoi Sakuraba did. Unless I'm missing something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Mitsuda didn't do the music for Valkyrie Profile, Motoi Sakuraba did. Unless I'm missing something.

Yes, he's saying that Chrono Trigger was the top of Mitsuda's game like Valkyrie Profile was the top of Sakuraba's (and everyone else involved) - heights they never really achieved again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So VP1 is better than 2? By how much?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 3, 2014

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

NikkolasKing posted:

Just play it for the gameplay, which is what tri-Ace is all about anyway. Also yes the PS3 version does allow you to switch to the Japanese audio.

What a fabulous coincidence this is though as I also just got a PS3. I think I'm gonna finally try one of the Tales games since it apparently has similar combat to SO.

Cool, thanks. I actually didn't hate SO3 so SO4 sounds more promising. I haven't played any Tales newer than Symphonia GC version but they always hit that sweet spot too. Hope you enjoy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

So VP1 is better than 2? By how much?

They're pretty different. VP2 is kinda linearish and has a similar battle system to the first but in 3D, on a map, with move-as-you-move placement, group splitting, all sorts of weird things. Also some of the most impressive graphics on the PS2, hands down.

It's really hard to compare them, but I'm very fond of VP2.

Also Resonance of Fate is kind of another instance of VP/VP2's battle system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, I'll give you Mitsuda maybe, but trying to choose a favourite soundtrack out of Trigger, Cross and Xenogears is like asking me to choose between my (hypothetical) children.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Cool, thanks. I actually didn't hate SO3 so SO4 sounds more promising. I haven't played any Tales newer than Symphonia GC version but they always hit that sweet spot too. Hope you enjoy.

Yeah my plan for my first Tales game is going to be Symphonia as well but I'm gonna get the PS3 version (called Symphonia Chronicles) because it comes with the sequel too. So I'm getting two games for just the price I'd be paying for one with Graces F or Xillia. Presumably it will be a good indicator if I'm gonna be a fan of the Tales franchise. (I'm sure I will - not the hardest guy on the planet to please)

Glad to help and I hope you enjoy yourself with SO4.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're pretty different. VP2 is kinda linearish and has a similar battle system to the first but in 3D, on a map, with move-as-you-move placement, group splitting, all sorts of weird things. Also some of the most impressive graphics on the PS2, hands down.

It's really hard to compare them, but I'm very fond of VP2.

Also Resonance of Fate is kind of another instance of VP/VP2's battle system.

Hm, I'll keep that all in mind thanks.

Is VP2 like a real sequel, as in I need to have played VP1 first to understand it? Or is it the Star Ocean thing where they are only vaguely connected and you can jump in any time?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is VP2 like a real sequel, as in I need to have played VP1 first to understand it? Or is it the Star Ocean thing where they are only vaguely connected and you can jump in any time?

Mmm.. it's somewhat important. You could get away with reading a synopsis, but an LP of the original would be ideal. It's still a really good game, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh I'd definitely try to play both. I was just curious.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah my plan for my first Tales game is going to be Symphonia as well but I'm gonna get the PS3 version (called Symphonia Chronicles) because it comes with the sequel too. So I'm getting two games for just the price I'd be paying for one with Graces F or Xillia.

Symphonia 2 is really bad and not a good indicator of the rest of the series. The only good thing in ToS2 are the skits.

The first Symphonia is still fine, so you could just get that for $20 off PSN instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is Symphonia 2 considered so bad? I played an hour or so of it when I got Chronicles and it seemed okay, just didn't go any further because I wanted to finish the first one first.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Levantine posted:

Chrono Cross definitely. Xenogears is alright but it's all ambient music. It's done well, it's just not as listenable IMO.

You're so wrong. You don't even know how wrong you are. Allow me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQ6PeyzxDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-wmZ4Z9oI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQYyDIkMaH0

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've noticed that none of those are the Gaur Plains theme from Xenoblade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

or this ambient tune from Satori Marsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvWPzAg8Ig

or this night-time tune from the massive Eryth Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MORt3P92HKs

But on an attempt not to lead this to video spamming, I finished Parasite Eve a couple nights ago. I have no idea why that game gets the praise it does. Some neat mechanics, yes, but some really dumb ones too and a script that's just ridiculous in the worst ways.

MY MITOCHONDRIA ARE BETTER THAN YOUR MITOCHONDRIA RAAAAR

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
PE2 improves on the formula while making a few changes I hear. Just don't talk about The 3rd Birthday (because this is an RPG thread but also a host of awful reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

HGH posted:

PE2 improves on the formula while making a few changes I hear. Just don't talk about The 3rd Birthday (because this is an RPG thread but also a host of awful reasons).

From what I've heard, PE2 is a different game entirely - it's more Resident Evil-styled survival horror, rather than an RPG.

And yes. Third Birthday is the one where you get stronger the less clothing you have on? Less said about that, the better.