Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I want this to be real :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, give us Karts! And then sneak a Kart track somewhere in Altis.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, give us Karts! And then sneak a Kart track somewhere in Altis.

There's a small track already at Altis airport.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man if those were real I'd really try making a new version of an old race mission I played a ton in OFP.

Imagine driving those karts on an island track. While being chased by an attack helicopter. :black101:
Man that mission could be so much fun.
Just a pity that none of the later maps have never been as suitable for racing from point a to b as Everon was.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if you could create respawning power-ups that mount rockets and machineguns and stuff on karts for a brief period of time. Move over Mario-kart and Sonic Racers, its ARMA-Kart! :black101:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Have the accompanying Arma 3 Web site article on the "Karts DLC".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think this is the first video game april fools joke that pretty much everybody can agree would be amazing and needs to actually be made.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

ethanol posted:

I think this is the first video game april fools joke that pretty much everybody can agree would be amazing and needs to actually be made.

This one was actually pretty amazing as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Well that trailer looked like it was in engine so I doubt they are going to keep all the models they made for that unreleased and let it go to waste

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

superstepa posted:

Well that trailer looked like it was in engine so I doubt they are going to keep all the models they made for that unreleased and let it go to waste
They actually had a gray alien appear in 2011 or 2012 Arma 3 footage but while they removed the model and model config and there's no config entry for it, the devs didn't actually remove the textures/material file for the model...

EDIT: Items of note in the latest SITREP:

BI dev Kolji posted:

As of revision 116365 in DEV branch, we will be introducing a fix to the bug that happens when you switch to a new weapon during reloading. Currently, the reloading animation for most states (except for launcher) is a gesture played on top of the primary animation channel, so the "switching" animation starts during the reload.

The current solution is that the new weapon is still logically selected, however, the switching animation is postponed until the reloading animation is finished.

The problem is that the new solution might create feeling of delay and, for example, if you spot an enemy during reload and want to kill them quickly using the current weapon, you will have to wait until the new logically selected weapon is also selected animation-wise. Players can still counter this by switching back to the current weapon during reload, in this case no switching animation will happen. We would appreciate your feedback on whether this is too much of an issue for you, so we can possibly introduce alternative solution.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

superstepa posted:

That engine was used for a game that was released 3 years ago.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pretty certain he was talking about the one relevant to this thread.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

I'm p sure the port thing will only be an issue if you're a) hosting or b) trying to get more than one person connecting to a server.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Warning: incoming rant ahead!

I am getting increasingly frustrated and hateful toward this game. Normally I'll get 30~35 fps, which is fine.

But everything in this game takes 10x as long as it should simply because of random frame drops and game stuttering. It completely breaks any immersion I am trying to have with this game (and I want to feel the immersion but the loving game won't let me!).

I cannot even do it enough justice to convey how frustrating and angry it makes me when I'm trying to shoot someone only to have the game freeze for 10 seconds (I'm not exaggerating the length of time here), after which I find that I'm dead.

Or, when I'm trying to land on the runway after a bombing run only to freeze right on top of the runway and rubber band back and forth into the ground, destroying my plane.

There are so many situations where this makes me want to throw my keyboard against the wall and the more I play this game the more angry it makes me.

When I google information about this, I see post after post saying "yeah arma has always been really badly optimized and the developers never do anything about it ever." How the gently caress are these people going to release a terrible loving Win campaign that doesn't explain poo poo and has less than a third of the content from all their other campaigns, say that the story is resolved, and then make this Zeus bullshit when I'm sitting here ready to punch a hole in my monitor because the game freezes every 5 meters that I run?

It's not that my computer is old or that my drivers are out of date. It's the loving game that's the problem!

I overlooked this stuff early on when I got into the game because I was having fun learning stuff... but when you know how things are supposed to run, every little unnecessary interruption becomes increasingly frustrating.

I feel like every game I've played or gotten really into for the past 5 years has always been like this. The only exceptions are DotA and Counterstrike, both of which have only lead to me having to quit them for other, unrelated reasons.

I don't understand how it's possible that I could be fooled into paying $60 usd for a loving terrible game like this.

I feel like every game I try to get into is a loving rip off because of poo poo like this. It's loving ridiculous that a $60 usd game can run so loving terribly.

If anyone needs me, I'll be detoxing in BYOB.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 3, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Jesus christ, stop loving playing it if you hate it so much!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

]I am getting increasingly frustrated and hateful toward this game. Normally I'll get 30~35 fps, which is fine.

But everything in this game takes 10x as long as it should simply because of random frame drops and game stuttering. It completely breaks any immersion I am trying to have with this game (and I want to feel the immersion but the loving game won't let me!).

I cannot even do it enough justice to convey how frustrating and angry it makes me when I'm trying to shoot someone only to have the game freeze for 10 seconds (I'm not exaggerating the length of time here), after which I find that I'm dead.

It's not that my computer is old or that my drivers are out of date. It's the loving game that's the problem!

I played Ofp, Arma 1, Arma 2 and Arma 3 and I never ever had 10 seconds freezes. Not even 2 seconds freezes. Slow framerate yeah, lots of hard disk read mini stutter in the old games, but that's it.
And of course i played all these games over the course of the last decade so I'm talking of three different computers.

So yeah, it seems a problem of your computer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 3, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seconding not having any performance problems, and I play on Ultra with 4km+ draw distance. PC's relatively up-to-date, but nothing special.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah arma can definitely be laggy, it's a bit infamous for it (it is very cpu and hdd bound, followed by ram then last of all gpu as far as I can tell) but if you're genuinely getting getting literal 10s+ freeze ups something is more wrong than the game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Chortles posted:

GameSpy "is fully shutting down its multiplayer technologies on May 31 2014", so BI is going all-in on Steamworks for Arma 3 (dev branch users can already toggle between GameSpy and Steamworks) and OA multiplayer
Holy loving shitballs, finally getting rid of that goddamn Gamespy poo poo!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone want to play battle royale this evening? Really really fun last man standing mod. Install is simple with a few clicks on playwithsix(I know, but it really was cake).
Post up and let me know.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

I am getting increasingly frustrated and hateful toward this game. Normally I'll get 30~35 fps, which is fine.

Or, when I'm trying to land on the runway after a bombing run only to freeze right on top of the runway and rubber band back and forth into the ground, destroying my plane.

There are so many situations where this makes me want to throw my keyboard against the wall and the more I play this game the more angry it makes me.

When I google information about this, I see post after post saying "yeah arma has always been really badly optimized and the developers never do anything about it ever." How the gently caress are these people going to release a terrible loving Win campaign that doesn't explain poo poo and has less than a third of the content from all their other campaigns, say that the story is resolved, and then make this Zeus bullshit when I'm sitting here ready to punch a hole in my monitor because the game freezes every 5 meters that I run?

I overlooked this stuff early on when I got into the game because I was having fun learning stuff... but when you know how things are supposed to run, every little unnecessary interruption becomes increasingly frustrating.

I feel like every game I've played or gotten really into for the past 5 years has always been like this. The only exceptions are DotA and Counterstrike, both of which have only lead to me having to quit them for other, unrelated reasons.

I don't understand how it's possible that I could be fooled into paying $60 usd for a loving terrible game like this.

I feel like every game I try to get into is a loving rip off because of poo poo like this. It's loving ridiculous that a $60 usd game can run so loving terribly.

If anyone needs me, I'll be detoxing in BYOB.

Sounds like your computer, in particular your HDD. The game does have some chop for most rigs, but 10 seconds is never the case unless you're exadurating. It probably won't matter though cause it seems like you're on an endless crusade to hate this game, though you still play it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

[spoiler]I am getting increasingly frustrated and hateful toward this game. Normally I'll get 30~35 fps, which is fine.

I've 1-2 second stutters at times but it hasn't screwed me over yet. FPS seems to be entirely dependent on the server conditions. The game is wonderfully smooth in single player for me. Add a thirty players and hundreds of AI and the fps tanks. Honestly, those mega servers aren't that fun anyways, because it's pretty much certain one or more of those thirty players is going to be an rear end in a top hat. ARMA3 is a hundred times more fun when you've limited your game to one or two fireteams of players looking to cooperate, and in that scenario I get wonderful performance and no random stutters.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

always be closing posted:

Anyone want to play battle royale this evening? Really really fun last man standing mod. Install is simple with a few clicks on playwithsix(I know, but it really was cake).
Post up and let me know.

I don't know if I will be able to tonight but it sounds like a good time. I'd like to get in on this sometime.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

always be closing posted:

Post up and let me know.

I had no idea this existed until I saw a few people streaming it on twitch

I played a few rounds last night, and then another today before work.

It's quite fun, but after a few games everyone knows where the best spots to chute into are, and when you look behind you its a conga line of parachutes all heading to the same location.

Be interesting to see what they can do with the idea, it has a lot of the initial success of DayZ mod written allover it, especially since the limited number of servers are pretty well always packed full

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I play on a i5-2400, 8GB RAM, GTX660. I get 30-40FPS on ultra with 3.5k draw distance with dips sometimes to 20FPS. I play it on an SSD. Either your hard drive is messed up if your parts are better than mine or you're playing on a mission that is poorly optimized or does a lot of spawning in/out of AI with various script poo poo involved. To give you an idea of how a mission can behave, I play on a server with 30 others on an insurgency style missions, which has constant AI spawning in and out. People are lucky to get 20FPS most of the time. Then playing a domination style mission, which has AI spawn in in large groups at specific intervals, has everyone at 30-40FPS. Missions and AI affect FPS a ton so the problem might not be entirely on your own end.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

I had no idea this existed until I saw a few people streaming it on twitch

I played a few rounds last night, and then another today before work.

It's quite fun, but after a few games everyone knows where the best spots to chute into are, and when you look behind you its a conga line of parachutes all heading to the same location.

Be interesting to see what they can do with the idea, it has a lot of the initial success of DayZ mod written allover it, especially since the limited number of servers are pretty well always packed full

I agree to an extent, but i can usually hit air station mike, and loot a tower or something, ready to shoot within 2 minutes of landing.

You could also pop your chute early and blow off course, i mean its what you make it.

Anyways, I have the same name on steam, and Im down to play this mod anytime.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

This is like the 3-4th rant about this game you've made. Honestly, can you consider uninstalling the game and moving on? Argue for a refund or something if you must.

(I also find it hilarious that I saw the Arma 3 thread had a bunch of new posts and the first thought that came to me was 'I bet Love Stole the Day has made another angry rant'.)

Edit: Oh! I should also add: No performance issues for me either. Game runs perfect nearly all the time. Although in your defense, I see a ton of 'This game runs like poo poo!' comments whenever Bohemia post something to facebook.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 4, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

With the price of solid-state drives coming down, I'll def be making one my next big PC purchase. Are they still generally considered a huge boost for Arma 3 performance?

I'm one of those with lovely performance, but I just make do and accept its my PC.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Are they still generally considered a huge boost for Arma 3 performance?

Who cares, buy one, it's the best thing I've ever bought for my computer and I will never not have one again.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

With the price of solid-state drives coming down, I'll def be making one my next big PC purchase. Are they still generally considered a huge boost for Arma 3 performance?

I'm one of those with lovely performance, but I just make do and accept its my PC.

An SSD will help a lot with stuttering due to objects being loaded in and LOD switching.

If you're just generally getting low FPS, though, it won't do much to help.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah that sounds like my main problem, the loading-in and LOD switching. When i'm flying a supersonic jet across the island, I've actually gotten white-terrain grid squares too that take a moment to fill in.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Azerban posted:

Who cares, buy one, it's the best thing I've ever bought for my computer and I will never not have one again.

+1 and my sentiments exactly. SSDs are so cool. It's painful to go back to standard HDDs. Arma definitely gets a lot of benefit from being on a SSD, too!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
While I don't have stellar fps on my three year old machine, the sad makes it pretty consistent in performance and it runs a poo poo ton better than arma 2 with no upgrades.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

We forgive you, Sandman. You were the best of us at murdering your passengers.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, sorry about that. I could've got us down safely, but I hosed it up. Having Ithalen yelling at me didn't help though.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Arma 3: the sad makes it pretty consistent

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I've been doing some of the showcases and I think I might be slowly getting the hang of this. I liked the one where you have to create a distraction at night, but found the lack of Night Vision Goggles odd.

Anyway, this will probably annoy some people, but is there a way to turn on hitmarkers? Or perhaps a mod to do so? Yes, I know this isn't Battlefield or CoD, but I like hitmarkers dammit, and I care not for MY IMMERSION.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nope, no hitmarkers. Just keep shooting until they don't shoot back

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha hitmarkers, really? Anyways, the closest you're going to get to battlefield in this game is tacbf, and even it doesn't do anything to tune down Arma's 'realism'. Its just a system thats a bit of an analogue to some of BF2's gamemodes that makes it easy to have a fast paced objective oriented match with a good balance of roles/kits, neat scripted features, without having to do all the mission making and scripting work yourself for each new match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The closest you will get is the slight jerk that occurs when you see somebody get hit by a bullet. If you see them twitch, you most likely hit them. Watch the bullet's flight path, if you can, and see where it lands. Look for puffs of dirt or blood.