Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this? posted:

Not really, you know how much crap City got for being a rehash? Well this is that times a thousand. The game doesn't do anything interesting and is just more of the same.

Wait seriously? People criticised City for being a rehash?
I can understand that criticism at Origins (it's a bullshit criticisim, since if the original game is good you don't need to reinvent the wheel.) but City?

Like they had the same engine/ core gameplay mechanic (Predator mode and the Freeflow combat.)
But Asylum was all about walking up and down corridors following a very well told story, but it was slow as hell. City had you effortlessly criss-crossing a city using a combination of grappling and gliding.

I'm not saying City was perfect (I think the story went off the rails , particularly at the end.) and it has it's flaws but saying it's a Rehash of Asylum just sounds crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Not really, you know how much crap City got for being a rehash? Well this is that times a thousand. The game doesn't do anything interesting and is just more of the same.

That's not true, everything related to Detective Vision is loving awesome.

Subjective I know, but I got a lot of more fun put of Origins than I ever did from City or Asylum, the story on Origin is a lot better but it takes a dive at the end since it was needed to fit with Rocksteady's.

Lots of bugs though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe I'll hold off for a GOTY version that's on sale. Pretty sure I paid only $7 for City, which I've barely touched. Stupid glide challenges.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

City is great, nobody criticized it for being a rehash until Origins came out. The only thing people complained (endlessly) about was the comical amount of Riddler trophies and the lovely story. Origins is a lackluster unpolished rehash of City developed by a B-team, but 10 bucks is a fair price for it, DLC or no. Knights will probably be great, and if we're really lucky might have a story as good as Asylum did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not a high bar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not a high bar.

It is for a superhero video game. Like it was on the same level as an average Batman comic book, elevated by the voice acting, and acted as a neat all-star showcase of Batman villains. City and Origins were just awful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe I'll hold off for a GOTY version that's on sale. Pretty sure I paid only $7 for City, which I've barely touched. Stupid glide challenges.

There's only one hard one and it's the last one. Once you get the grapple upgrade there's no reason to go any further unless you're being completionist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Origins is completely worth $10. It isn't as good as the previous games but it's still better than a huge chunk of games on the market.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like Activision may have the rights to use Spider-Man in a way after all.

According to Beenox on Twitter, the reason why ASM 2 wasn't immediately canned (and the reason why ASM 1 is still available to purchase digitally) is because Activision only lost the license for the comic version of Spider-Man. Beenox actually made the Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 games using Sony's cinematic license for Spider-Man and not the comic book license.

That being said, we may still see an ASM 3 game if Sony doesn't decide to do something else by that time in terms of gaming. This does not affect the costumes Beenox can use, only the characters used.

quote:

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 16
Dear @BeenoxTeam please if possible can we have a Spider-Ham and Peter Porker skin in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game?

Thank you.

Beenox ‏@BeenoxTeam Jan 16
@GameUnboxing Since the game is using the movie license, probably not.

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 16
@BeenoxTeam Can we go into an alley and change from Peter Parker to Spider-Man or a certain costume & vice versa at any time?

Beenox ‏@BeenoxTeam Jan 17
@GameUnboxing No, you can't do that at any time. Changes will be mostly story based.

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 17
@BeenoxTeam Oh I see, well will we be able to free roam with Peter?

@GameUnboxing Probably not. That would give up his secret identity pretty much.

@BeenoxTeam Oh that's a real shame so no Peter free roam whatsoever? not even after completion of the main story or without powers?

@GameUnboxing We did offer a Peter Parker suit in Edge of Time, but the game was set in the comic universe, which is a different license.

@BeenoxTeam Thank you for replying, Sounds like this time you are very limited in what you can put in the game, no comic costumes either?

@GameUnboxing Absolutely not. There were unlockable costumes in the previous game, also using the movie licence, right?

@BeenoxTeam Thank goodness! i'll still buy the game 100% but im a little sad there's no Peter free roam, Could we see Sam Rami wrestler suit

@GameUnboxing Since the game is using the new movie licence, the Vigilante Suit we have showcased in ASM1 will probably make a return.

@BeenoxTeam That is excellent news! no Sam Rami wrestler suit is fine as I didn't think it would be in there anyway, what about TASM1 suitt

Also, there is no way to play as Peter outside of the story, so there's that as well if you were worried about that.

https://twitter.com/BeenoxTeam/status/424257837246599168

Looks like no more comic book licensed games from Activision but there could very well be more movie licensed ones unless Sony changes their mind.

EDIT: Looks like the 13 in-game costume thing is true. I asked Beenox on Facebook if the were 2 preorder costumes we didn't know of and was given a reply of yes.

So it seems Amazon has something still.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 30, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ASM and all it's DLC are on sale on XBL, is it worth getting. And if so which of the DLC is worth it? Stan Lee obviously but how is the rest?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

ASM and all it's DLC are on sale on XBL, is it worth getting. And if so which of the DLC is worth it? Stan Lee obviously but how is the rest?

The Stan Lee DLC is a must but the rest isn't really worth it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I went with all the DLC because they are only a euro or less so it's not as even if they are terrible I can't say no to running around as Rhino.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Forgot that the Rhino dlc has a no timer mode. That one is decent

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBCQXWyhuQ

Looks like Carnage is in, Black Cat is back from ASM 1, we also get Electro, Green Goblin, Kingpin, and Kraven (not as a villain, apparently?).

Also, another article:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/4/5571546/the-amazing-spider-man-2-preview-connect-as-a-character

Polygon.com posted:

"There was this sense of, if we were to develop a story that was more personally connected to the character itself, we felt that there should be moments where you're playing as kind of a regular teenager," Wilson explained. "In [The Amazing Spider-Man], we unfortunately had a lot of villains that were just kind of thrown out there with little backstory. In this case, you really get to meet the characters before you can eventually face them."

quote:

One disappointing element of our time with the PlayStation 3 version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was its graphics. Manhattan lacked detail, and as a result it didn't feel very alive, and cutscenes didn't really look better than the rest of the game. According to Wilson, Beenox strove to deliver the same gameplay experience on all platforms, and he added that the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions will offer 1080p resolution, a better draw distance and a smoother frame rate. (The screenshots in this article are from the PS4 version.)

EDIT:

The armor from the "Ends of the Earth" storyline is in the game as well.

http://www.newsarama.com/20762-the-amazing-spider-man-2-game-developer-wants-to-simply-improve-every-aspect.html

Beenox on Facebook posted:

For those who have been asking, Sam Riegel is returing to voice Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game.

https://www.facebook.com/beenox/posts/10152345459798210?comment_id=33547144&offset=0&total_comments=15

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The visuals in the game based on that trailer are pretty sad looking. A lot of low-res textures.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The visuals in the game based on that trailer are pretty sad looking. A lot of low-res textures.

That's the PS4/One version. :v:

Greg Miller has been saying that all versions of the game just look bad in terms of graphics since Beenox introduced him to the game privately, but still all play the same. He said the 360/PS3 version looked pretty low-res but the PS4/One version is just as bad.

The funny part is, Beenox and the official ASM Game Facebook pages both linked to the video he was saying how bad the graphics were. :v: I don't think they actually watched it before linking everyone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Eh, Beenox officials have been straight up saying, "Yeah, the current gen versions are identical to last" so I don't think they really give a poo poo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Eh, Beenox officials have been straight up saying, "Yeah, the current gen versions are identical to last" so I don't think they really give a poo poo.

According to Greg and the guys at GamesRadar, they're identical except for graphics because Beenox told both of them that, all videos and screenshots BEFORE the PS4 version was released were of the 360/PS3 as they actually built the game to run on 360/PS3 and PS4/One was the afterthought.

Also, I love it when people complain that the graphics on PS4 aren't like INFAMOUS: Second Son. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, I love it when people complain that the graphics on PS4 aren't like INFAMOUS: Second Son.

That's definitely a thing that people have said.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That's definitely a thing that people have said.

I'm not really sure what they're expecting. I mean, sure it could look more lively, less muddy, etc...but..really? The game has most likely been in development since after ASM 1 was put in stores (as they did that with Shattered Dimensions to Edge of Time) so..yeah.

The complaints of people amaze me sometimes...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think if you get to the point where you're amazed that people are saying a game looks kind of bad visually and also recognizing that a game looks kind of bad visually then I don't know what to tell you, either, dude.

It looks kind of bad, people are going to say, 'hey, that looks kind of bad' when they see something that looks kind of bad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I think if you get to the point where you're amazed that people are saying a game looks kind of bad visually and also recognizing that a game looks kind of bad visually then I don't know what to tell you, either, dude.

It looks kind of bad, people are going to say, 'hey, that looks kind of bad' when they see something that looks kind of bad.

It's not just that it looks bad, I get that and agree, it's that they're expecting WAY too much from a cross-platform movie game published by Activision. That's what surprises me so much about it.

It happens every time Activision puts out a cross-platform game when there are new consoles out. Why be surprised it looks the way it does when it's nothing more than history repeating itself?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They're not surprised.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
More like annoyed at the half rear end attempt at a lovely shoddy cheap in port.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not just that it looks bad, I get that and agree, it's that they're expecting WAY too much from a cross-platform movie game published by Activision. That's what surprises me so much about it.

It happens every time Activision puts out a cross-platform game when there are new consoles out. Why be surprised it looks the way it does when it's nothing more than history repeating itself?

Expecting too much out of movie games maybe isn't the most sane thing to do, but it's better than accepting crap on the grounds of "oh well it's a movie game" :downs:

They deserve to get poo poo if they put out a subpar product.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Expecting too much out of movie games maybe isn't the most sane thing to do, but it's better than accepting crap on the grounds of "oh well it's a movie game" :downs:

They deserve to get poo poo if they put out a subpar product.

It's an Activision title, of course it'll be subpar. People expect too much out of every game Activision puts out with Spider-Man on the title.

Yes, I'll play this game and probably like it, but I'm not going to say it'll be the best Spider-Man game ever or even best Beenox title ever.

Ever since Beenox and Sony showed the PS4 versions on PlayStation.com, people have not only been calling them on how bad it looks, but also saying it should look exactly like games such as Second Son when there's no way it was ever going to because of the short development time Activision always gives.

I get wanting the game to look good on high-end consoles, but expecting them to put more than subpar support in a cash cow Spider-Man game? No...that's not really going to happen. Just like there won't be any worthwhile DLC if there is any (the suits will most likely be the only thing).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The next spider man is only going to developed for the 3DS and then ported to every other console to save development time. You'll be able to fight The Spot and Hobgoblin. Sixty dollars please.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The next spider man is only going to developed for the 3DS and then ported to every other console to save development time. You'll be able to fight The Spot and Hobgoblin. Sixty dollars please.

Of course, what else do you expect? Goons sure are dramatic and unrealistic with their expectations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's an Activision title, of course it'll be subpar. People expect too much out of every game Activision puts out with Spider-Man on the title.

Yes, I'll play this game and probably like it, but I'm not going to say it'll be the best Spider-Man game ever or even best Beenox title ever.

Ever since Beenox and Sony showed the PS4 versions on PlayStation.com, people have not only been calling them on how bad it looks, but also saying it should look exactly like games such as Second Son when there's no way it was ever going to because of the short development time Activision always gives.

I get wanting the game to look good on high-end consoles, but expecting them to put more than subpar support in a cash cow Spider-Man game? No...that's not really going to happen. Just like there won't be any worthwhile DLC if there is any (the suits will most likely be the only thing).

It doesn't matter if it wasn't ever going to happen or not. Sure it's unrealistic, but it's certainly not unreasonable to want an open world superhero game to look as good as that other open world superhero game on the same console. They're asking the same price after all.

If we have to place all these self-imposed caveats upon this game to make it seem acceptable then why the gently caress does it even need to exist in the first place?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 5, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To be fair, the goal to clear would be looking as good as Saints Row 4, Second Son is a different gen than Spider-man 2: 2
Being a better game than Second Son won't be too difficult, anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, the goal to clear would be looking as good as Saints Row 4, Second Son is a different gen than Spider-man 2: 2

They're putting it out on the same console, it's effectively the same gen. Consumers shouldn't need to care about lovely inside baseball like what the lead dev platform is in order to not get screwed. Activision deserves to get raked over the coals for pulling that poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hakkesshu posted:

They're putting it out on the same console, it's effectively the same gen. Consumers shouldn't need to care about lovely inside baseball like what the lead dev platform is in order to not get screwed.

By that logic Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, Child of Light, Diablo 3, Dynasty Warriors 8, FIFA 14, Injustice, Just Dance 2014, Killzone Shadow Fall, Lego Marvel, etc. are all next-gen games that look really lovely.

There are only, like, five next-gen games so far. That said, I do agree that paying the same amount of cash for Spider-man 2 or the latest FPS or whatever than for an actual next-gen title is a dumb thing to do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

By that logic Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, Child of Light, Diablo 3, Dynasty Warriors 8, FIFA 14, Injustice, Just Dance 2014, Killzone Shadow Fall, Lego Marvel, etc. are all next-gen games that look really lovely.

That's not what I'm saying. You should not be paying more for next-gen versions of games that barely have any effort put into them, and it's disingenuous and indefensible of publishers to ask that of consumers. Something like Battlefield 4 clearly had effort put into it despite also being out on the previous consoles.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There are only, like, five next-gen games so far. That said, I do agree that paying the same amount of cash for Spider-man 2 or the latest FPS or whatever than for an actual next-gen title is a dumb thing to do.

There's nothing wrong with cross-generation titles in principle. Developing a new FIFA for the next-gen systems, but re-releasing last year's version on the old consoles with a roster update thrown in is just as lovely a thing to do. They're the ones putting out a product, if it doesn't compare favourably to the competition, it's on them regardless of how it was developed. Consumers shouldn't be beholden to that.

Activision can do whatever the gently caress they want, but people are absolutely in the right to call them out on it, also.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 5, 2014

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the visuals in the trailer are dissapointing but I'm hoping the web swinging is done well. There's something therapeutic about just swinging through the city with no set goal while a podcast plays in the background.

On a related note, I just noticed the first Amazing Spiderman game has been ported to the Vita. Anyone know how it plays? I know it'll be a downgrade from the PS3 version but I'm tempted by it all the same.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really wish that Marvel would get their game licenses in such a way that they could have one company produce just a really beautiful Rockstar level Manhattan that could be used in multiple Marvel games so they get their money's worth.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really wish that Marvel would get their game licenses in such a way that they could have one company produce just a really beautiful Rockstar level Manhattan that could be used in multiple Marvel games so they get their money's worth.

Disney/Marvel could have someone else make a new Spider-Man game at any time.

Beenox is using Sony's Spider-Man movie license to make the movie games and not the comic book game one as Marvel has that one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know much about game programmin' and such but I've always thought about this in terms of New York in general. For any game. Like the way companies will license engines, someone could make a customizable New York.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm going through Arkham Origins right now and I actually like that most of the world is Arkham City. They didn't just reskin the world; there's definitely more of an urban feel and less of a concrete archipelago that City had near Amusement Mile and the Industrial District.

Lobok posted:

I don't know much about game programmin' and such but I've always thought about this in terms of New York in general. For any game. Like the way companies will license engines, someone could make a customizable New York.

There was an article in bit-tech about that a few years back:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/07/14/critical-why-not-reuse-game-worlds/1

If it's done in a shared universe way like how the Marvel films have their characters sharing the same space it could be cool. For example something happens in New York for Iron Man's game and then in Thor's game there would be references in his New York about the events in Iron Man's game. But I also think there's potential for lazy devs to phone it in and have a generic open world city.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Action Tortoise posted:

If it's done in a shared universe way like how the Marvel films have their characters sharing the same space it could be cool. For example something happens in New York for Iron Man's game and then in Thor's game there would be references in his New York about the events in Iron Man's game. But I also think there's potential for lazy devs to phone it in and have a generic open world city.

To expand on your idea, gamesaves or player accounts could be used to make the city different depending on which previous games you had played. While you're playing Thor the New York you see would be different than if you had already played the Iron Man game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how Lego Marvel had the Hub of NYC that you could run around, explore, do side stuff, collect tokens and other non-story activities, then you go into story missions through the hub.

• Locked thread