Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
USA Today article on upcoming Agents of SHIELD episodes (Cap 2 spoilers):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/04/06/captain-america-agents-of-shield-tv-series/7313369/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

muscles like this? posted:

It'll be kind of weird to see how AoS proceeds after the events of Winter Soldier. Especially because Winter Soldier specifically blows up some of the stuff they've been using as mysteries in AoS by releasing all SHIELD files to the internet.

Agreed. It kind of takes a giant poo poo all over AOS. Very interested in how the rest of the season pans out

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, all the different strike teams and rogue agents are probably still around, so maybe we spend the rest of the season hunting those down. A continuous threat instead of a nebulous organization without clear agenda or the occasional teasing about a super villain would make for a pretty tense episodes.

Not to mention there are still the other factions of Hydra. Seriously, if we are lucky they actually do what they should have done in the first place and pit them against one of the large evil organizations of the MU.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 6, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just got home from TWS, and the way I see it, AoS has two choices, based on the imaginary lines I'm giving Coulson here.

1. "Well, yeah, our HQ got blown up, but look at all the facilities we got still that we have visited this year alone. So, it's business as usual guys."

2. "Well, it seems like we're outta a job right now. Jet fuel kinda costs alot, and while I could call Stark for some cash, I really wouldn't want to deal with him being that smug over it. Instead, we'll all pile into Ward's 78 Camaro and travel the US fighting crime! Now, there's not enough seats, so Fitzsimmonds, one of you has to ride in the trunk"

I personally am a fan of option 2.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like to think AoS was dragging their heels because they couldn't reveal Hydra yet, and now it will kick into high gear, but I am a hopeless optimist.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I like to think AoS was dragging their heels because they couldn't reveal Hydra yet, and now it will kick into high gear, but I am a hopeless optimist.

Probably, but it's still not a valid excuse for the poor quality of the majority of the season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sleepingbuddha posted:

Probably, but it's still not a valid excuse for the poor quality of the majority of the season.

Yeah, the problems with it are not about the Marvel content but about the basics of good (genre) television.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whatever, losers!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just got home from TWS, and the way I see it, AoS has two choices, based on the imaginary lines I'm giving Coulson here.

1. "Well, yeah, our HQ got blown up, but look at all the facilities we got still that we have visited this year alone. So, it's business as usual guys."

2. "Well, it seems like we're outta a job right now. Jet fuel kinda costs alot, and while I could call Stark for some cash, I really wouldn't want to deal with him being that smug over it. Instead, we'll all pile into Ward's 78 Camaro and travel the US fighting crime! Now, there's not enough seats, so Fitzsimmonds, one of you has to ride in the trunk"

Option 2 is the only option :colbert:

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

bunnyofdoom posted:

I would personally find myself substantially more invested in the show if season 2 of AOS was legitimately The A-Team meets Torchwood. They could try to reclaim and salvage 'SHIELD' on their own, trading the Bus for Sky's Van, their suits for Hawaiian shirts and their bluetooth headsets for burner phones.

Also, I've really enjoyed having Bill Paxton around. Unrealistic or not, I'd love him to stick around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you have a super villain problem, and Iron Man is busy, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, the C-team.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

sleepingbuddha posted:

It explains a lot, though by no means all, of the series' problems to date, especially in the first half of the season - not just the absence of HYDRA, but also its odd lack of interest in the broader SHIELD organization, whether its morality (remember those earlier episodes where Skye expresses concern only to be convinced of their righteousness by the end?), its structure and history (the SHIELD Academy episode being the sole exception of note), or Team Coulson's relationship to it (why exactly are they so important that they get their own plane and a significant degree of autonomy)?

That said, it certainly doesn't excuse any of the show's flaws. Nor does it retroactively make previous episodes better, in large part because it's painfully obvious that the showrunners, for fear of spoiling TWS, weren't given the freedom to foreshadow TWS in anything but oblique and indirect ways until last week's episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

If you have a super villain problem, and Iron Man is busy, and you can't afford Heroes For Hire, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, the C-team.

FTFY

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Wait, did something happen to Lola? Because why aren't they driving around in Lola?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Wait, did something happen to Lola? Because why aren't they driving around in Lola?

You only take Lola out for special occasions.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Repulsor fuel costs money too. Alternatively, Lola is technically SHIELD property.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barry Convex posted:

It explains a lot, though by no means all, of the series' problems to date, especially in the first half of the season - not just the absence of HYDRA, but also its odd lack of interest in the broader SHIELD organization, whether its morality (remember those earlier episodes where Skye expresses concern only to be convinced of their righteousness by the end?), its structure and history (the SHIELD Academy episode being the sole exception of note), or Team Coulson's relationship to it (why exactly are they so important that they get their own plane and a significant degree of autonomy)?

That said, it certainly doesn't excuse any of the show's flaws. Nor does it retroactively make previous episodes better, in large part because it's painfully obvious that the showrunners, for fear of spoiling TWS, weren't given the freedom to foreshadow TWS in anything but oblique and indirect ways until last week's episode.

I really hope rest of the reason is them dealing with the fact one or two of them work for hydra and figuring out what next. They really should have started the show after the movie or have the first have you get to know the characters and second half blow it up

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

bunnyofdoom posted:

Repulsor fuel costs money too. Alternatively, Lola is technically SHIELD property.

If SHIELD stills exists, they will be working for SHIELD and have access to Lola. If SHIELD doesn't exist, then there's no one for them to give Lola back to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Repulsor fuelCGI costs money too. Alternatively, Lola is technically SHIELD property.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They need to spend that precious CGI money on the Bus doing turns and landing on carriers and stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Agents of SHIELD was up on Hulu for some reason.

:stare:

Easily the best episode of the season.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Agents of SHIELD was up on Hulu for some reason.

:stare:

Easily the best episode of the season.

After a fantastic twist ending, the tag left a really, really bad taste in my mouth, though. I'm not sure what its purpose was if not to set up a massive copout regarding said twist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's got a few possible interpretations, I'm happy to wait and see.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's got a few possible interpretations, I'm happy to wait and see.

It's open to multiple interpretations, sure, but it definitely didn't seem like the intent was to emphasize that (HUGE SPOILER) Ward is now an unambiguous villain and fully committed to the HYDRA cause. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty drat cynical about the writing on this show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, that's definitely out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, that's definitely out.

Seriously, gently caress that poo poo.

The writers finally go for a genuinely unexpected plot twist that could actually, lastingly reshape the dynamics between the leads and not be forgotten about in ten minutes like Skye's betrayal was and May's deception probably will be, and literally the first thing they do is back away from it?

No wonder this show has lost so much of its audience since the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of funny how much AoS didn't care if people hadn't seen Winter Soldier yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Its kind of funny how much AoS didn't care if people hadn't seen Winter Soldier yet.

Like if they're marketing it to normal people instead of obsessives...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Spoiler alert guys, Hydra does not successfully take over the world in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

They really didn't spoil much you couldn't see from watching the movie trailers that aired during the show months ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well they flat out stated in the episode that Sitwell was Hydra and that Fury was dead, but yeah anyone seeing a trailer would assume the latter.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ffffffffffuck!

I was so happy that Hand turned out not be a bad guy, and then Ward loving double taps her. As long as they don't back off on that twist, I think we'll have some good episodes in the future. SHIELD still has a long ways to go to catch up to Arrow, but these past couple weeks have been promising!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He should show up, say "Hey, no, I'm a double agent, I'm really on your side" and they trust him. Then he blows something up, or steals something or whatever and they swear never to trust him again, until three episodes later when it happens again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Odds on Ward having the sheer balls to actually kill a bunch of SHIELD people in order to infiltrate HYDRA even though it means he's pretty much done as a SHIELD agent?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Odds on Ward having the sheer balls to actually kill a bunch of SHIELD people in order to infiltrate HYDRA even though it means he's pretty much done as a SHIELD agent?
Do I have to keep spoilering? Just in case, that whole scene was set up for Bill Paxton's benefit. Victoria hands Ward a separate firearm that could be loaded with anything, there's no way she of all people would just let agents start capping prisoners, and it allows Paxton to think Ward is really on his side. Both of those agents and Victoria are fine, and now Ward is going under, The Departed-style.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

In the preview for next week, Coulson says, "At least our team is still intact." Really, Coulson? Really? The episode was actually halfway decent, but I don't think the AoS writers can take credit for this particular plot development. I'm cautiously optimistic on the show now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sleepingbuddha posted:

In the preview for next week, Coulson says, "At least our team is still intact." Really, Coulson? Really?

If Ward can somehow hide the fact that Garrett is loose and Hand is dead they have absolutely no reason to suspect that he's a Hydra agent so yeah, the team's all back together. Triplett will probably stick around so the team will even be bigger than before!

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If Ward can somehow hide the fact that Garrett is loose and Hand is dead they have absolutely no reason to suspect that he's a Hydra agent so yeah, the team's all back together. Triplett will probably stick around so the team will even be bigger than before!

Ok, that makes more sense.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yeah not convinced they're cutting bait with Ward since he never uttered a "Hail Hydra," shooting a couple innocent people in the head can be explained away by mind control and the like but you really can't bring a character back from uttering a Nazi salute.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I want to believe the Occam's razor solution, I really do. But Ward's aspie like obsession with gun weight is exactly how Whedon & Co. would foreshadow a gimmicked gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah but they made a big loving deal of freezing bullets different than regular bullets. They also showed how Victoria was specifically bleeding out.