Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On the equipment I've used, the moment the button gets glanced at, the equipment immediately rockets at more than full power in the opposite direction until the button is released. Theory is you may have stopped short for some reason (which would still result in the momentum trying to run you over), or found yourself pinned between a wall and the handles - cutting power and doing nothing else would still leave you pinned.

The BRB on everything I've used causes the equipment to haul rear end away from you, then either immediately slams on the brakes, or coasts into the nearest wall/transformer/whatever, once the BRB is released.

This particular BRB is always on the handles, and positioned in a way that even if you're pulling the equipment behind you, if you stop short, the button gets jammed against your body if you don't stop the equipment immediately.

I've bumped that button before while pulling a pallet jack behind me, and it drat near dislocated both shoulders when it said "OH poo poo TIME TO HAUL rear end, BBIAB GUYS". Knocked me over and dragged me about 5 feet, also punched a hole in a wall.. it was a :wtc: moment for sure. (e: it was a very, very heavy pallet full of cases of water, even the electric pallet jack was struggling with it)

e: This claims it's an "emergency reverse" button on pallet jacks; the forklifts I've used had the exact same function.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never seen a button that could cause the various things you just described on any forklift, pallet jack, rider jack, or man-up in nearly a decade of being a professional forklift wrangler.

ESO buttons on industrial equipment can have some unpleasant secondary effects but they certainly shouldn't be shooting arcs or deliberately blowing things up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I used to work in a stock warehouse with two forklifts. One was a conventional type powered by LPG. The other was an electric reach lift with a telescoping fork thingy and a gigantic battery pack about a meter wide, long and tall. One day the guys servicing the forklift forgot to put the securing pin in which holds the bar which itself holds the batteries inside the forklift. The guy driving it scooted around a shelf and the batteries just flew out sideways in an arc, stranding the hoist in a place that made it impossible to reach the battery pack with the other forklift.

That was a fun day of disassembling shelving.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
My previous employer used a small fleet of stand-up forktrucks. The battery went into a slot just behind the front wheels and in front of your legs. All that held it in place were a pair of metal braces - one on each side.

If you forgot to secure it, a object in motion tends to stay in motion and it'd go straight when you went around a turn, completely destroying anything in its path and breaking all the electrical connections.

Then the battery would tip over, possibly leak fluid on the ground, and you'd spent an hour trying to extricate it from whatever crevice it had wedged itself into. That was part of my "Fix all the things" job at the Jam Silo.

When you pay people $9 an hour, you get a $9 an hour level of worker.

Also, heh:

DrPain posted:

It just kept coming out the longer I pulled on it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I fondly remember my forklift jockey days. If I had a choice in life I'd retire to a warehousing job where I would be the crusty old operator who could put a pallet drat near anywhere you wanted.

I like forklifts and warehousing. Too bad that by the time I want to retire its going to be all robots.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

You're kidding, right? When we get long freight like that, it comes on a flatbed and you take your lift out in the parking lot and unload it from the side of the trailer. What's really fun is when you get a piece of machinery 25 feet long, about 8 foot wide and 10 tall, and around 5 tons, and you have to use two forklifts (one at each end) and maneuver them from the dock through four sets of doors and around 5 tight, blind turns while the whole thing sways back and forth on the chains it's hanging off the forks from. :getin:

It took me a while to find a picture, and this isn't exactly it, but it's close:

The siding company I use will do pieces up to 52', which obviously won't fit out of any normal bay doors on a fork truck. They have 4 of the things pictured abobe, but the forks width can be changed from in the cab and goes to at least 25' wide. The forks are only like 4' long, because their siding panels are only 3'.

It's amazing to watch these Amish guys load 4 flatbeds at the same time with the whole fleet going. They know down to the inch where every last bit of the load is, even when it's a non-standard length. I should have taken some pictures the last time I was out there.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes, if the freight is robust, you can do it without a liftgate. Drag the freight out until just a couple of feet of it are still in the trailer and set your end on the ground. Then come around from the side and lift the freight from the middle. Once it's balancing on your forks, reverse while turning towards the trailer, allowing the remaining bit of freight that's still inside of the trailer to swing out of the trailer door. Then you just drive forward or have the truck drive away.

Holy poo poo that sounds awesome and terrifying! I could tell the body shop manager lady was nervous as hell watching me unload her delivery with the driver and a liftgate. I can't imagine what she would she would do in that situation.

aventari posted:

Dude I love this thread.

How do you find the time/energy to take pics and what's more, write out all of this stuff all of the time?

It's totally appreciated and your writing is hilarious. Sounds like you bastards have fun there.

Happy to be of service!

Snapping lovely, candid shots of the shop inaction really doesn't take that much time. The write up and post part, I view as my time to reflect upon the day. A lot of crazy poo poo goes on around here, and I won't be able to remember it all off the top of my head years from now. Taking 30 minutes after work, or when we hit a slow patch in the schedule to get my thoughts and feelings written down while they're still fresh is a great way to manage my stress. I'm doing this 90% for myself, and I'm just amazed that other people seem to enjoy my brand of insanity.

Snowdens Secret posted:

ESO buttons on industrial equipment can have some unpleasant secondary effects but they certainly shouldn't be shooting arcs or deliberately blowing things up.

I'm really digging forklift chat guys, this poo poo is immensely useful to me. Thank you all.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

I'm doing this 90% for myself, and I'm just amazed that other people seem to enjoy my brand of insanity.

And here I sit thinking how wonderful it would be to take over the g/fs dads muffler shop. Part of owning the shop would be for me to have some cash, and other part would be private play place. Hes retiring with in the next 10 years but I don't think he would ever stop running the shop though. It would be nice to buy it, and have him run the show while I continue with train poo poo.

But yeah, that's an awful idea, running a shop for my private play place and working with family......

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And here I sit thinking how wonderful it would be to take over the g/fs dads muffler shop. Part of owning the shop would be for me to have some cash, and other part would be private play place. Hes retiring with in the next 10 years but I don't think he would ever stop running the shop though. It would be nice to buy it, and have him run the show while I continue with train poo poo.

But yeah, that's an awful idea, running a shop for my private play place and working with family......

No poo poo, that is about exactly how I happened into this gig. My lead diagnostic tech is my father in law, and he was looking for a way out, right as I was looking for a way up. One night after family dinner and a few too many glasses of wine we got to talking, and decided we could maybe help each other out. I bought the shop from him, and hired him as a part time employee. I can confirm it is a crazy idea.

Crazy like a fox, am I right? :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Crazy? Hardly. Awesome? Totally.

also: some of my best ideas were when booze was involved.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I don't know why, but it is interesting to read this thread and have some insight into how a shop works. The one time I came to Las Vegas to visit my sister it was incredible to see cars with no rust on them.

I'm not sure how any drives around that town, her Civic looks like a gladiator car.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
If I wasn't stuck with this mortgage now I would totally consider going freelance into location scouting for movies/tv. I even have the personal contact information for several local location scouts that told me to call them if I ever decide to leave this cushy city job.

I want flexibility with my schedule, but I need a steady paycheck because I have bills and poor impulse control.

So I have live vicariously through you goons!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I don't know why, but it is interesting to read this thread and have some insight into how a shop works. The one time I came to Las Vegas to visit my sister it was incredible to see cars with no rust on them.

I'm not sure how any drives around that town, her Civic looks like a gladiator car.

I'm more than happy to demystify the auto shop process for you. Many shops operate under the "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! I am the Wizard of Oz!" doctrine, and use lots of big scary words to lord their knowledge over people. I believe in transparency and breaking things down into simple concepts for the benefit of my customers, and I guess now, the readers of this thread. I've found that integrity and honesty are how you build solid business relationships for the long term. This is something I've always believed in, even in my sales carer before I got into the shop, and my father in law ran the shop the same way before me. I wouldn't have gone into business with him if he hadn't.

With regard to driving in Las Vegas, the answer is, very loving defensively. In this 24/7 entertainment city, people work odd hours, we get lots of tourists, and there is no such thing as "last call" at the bars, so my pet theory is that results in more drunk drivers at all hours of the day.

The first rule of driving in Las Vegas is, if you see a California license plate, AVOID THAT DRIVER!!!

DrPain fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 9, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

Crazy like a fox, am I right? :v:

Understatement of the year. I know I will never get rich at running a shop, but drat, it would be nice to run a good well known shop that people would bring their poo poo to me to get fixed.

But, FWIW, hes already well known in the Corvette groups as the guy who can do the best exhaust, and does tons of custom work for people all over the state. We casually talked about him selling off the shop and buying a small shop to do "one of" jobs (of course we will have to take random poo poo heap trucks that need stacks coming through the bed) just enough to pay the bills, make a little income and have fun with it.

Though they say you should never turn your hobby into a job, but doing something like that wouldn't be awful. Keep the initial investment low, that way if things dont work out, it would be easy to sell every thing off and recoup everything.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wait, your shop is in Vegas and you don't have your own show? Counting Pawn Restorations

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Bucephalus posted:

Wait, your shop is in Vegas and you don't have your own show? Counting Pawn Restorations

Rick Harrison (of Pawn Stars fame) used to rent the unit at the end of my row to house and work on his toys. His unit was the same size as my entire shop and filled to the brim with his sand rails, motorcycles, boats, etc... Usually it was just their lot boys/otherwise lackeys who loaded and unloaded things from that unit, but I got to catch Rick down here once very briefly about subletting mechanical repairs on the cars he buys to me, but he employs a team of 5 in house mechanics to repair all his poo poo. I can't say that I blame him, when you've made the kind of money he has it really pays to re-invest like that.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

DrPain posted:

I'm more than happy to demystify the auto shop process for you. Many shops operate under the "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! I am the Wizard of Oz!" doctrine, and use lots of big scary words to lord their knowledge over people. I believe in transparency and breaking things down into simple concepts for the benefit of my customers, and I guess now, the readers of this thread. I've found that integrity and honesty are how you build solid business relationships for the long term. This is something I've always believed in, even in my sales carer before I got into the shop, and my father in law ran the shop the same way before me. I wouldn't have gone into business with him if he hadn't.

With regard to driving in Las Vegas, the answer is, very loving defensively. In this 24/7 entertainment city, people work odd hours, we get lots of tourists, and there is no such thing as "last call" at the bars, so my pet theory is that results in more drunk drivers at all hours of the day.

The first rule of driving in Las Vegas is, if you see a California license plate, AVOID THAT DRIVER!!!

I am lucky enough to have a shop where the owner is an honest guy who does good work. My wife sometimes goes to the Honda dealer and the things they try to run past her are hilarious/disgusting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I am lucky enough to have a shop where the owner is an honest guy who does good work. My wife sometimes goes to the Honda dealer and the things they try to run past her are hilarious/disgusting.

My wife had an argument for five minutes with the Nissan service writer who refused to believe her model existed (B14 200SX SE-R). Dude finally explodes, storms out into the lot, reads the trunk and then slinks back inside without an apology.

She came back and told me she was never coming back to that dealership, and I went ahead and phoned the service manager and asked him if he makes a policy of hiring misogynistic condescending retards or if it just works out that way.

Last time I was in, the writer wasn't.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 9, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

DrPain posted:

I'm really digging forklift chat guys, this poo poo is immensely useful to me. Thank you all.

No forklift chat is ever complete without

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DILjd69C0o

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My wife had an argument for five minutes with the Nissan service writer who refused to believe her model existed (B14 200SX SE-R). Dude finally explodes, storms out into the lot, reads the trunk and then slinks back inside without an apology.

She came back and told me she was never coming back to that dealership, and I went ahead and phoned the service manager and asked him if he makes a policy of hiring misogynistic condescending retards or if it just works out that way.

Last time I was in, the writer wasn't.

My wife drives a 2008 Chevy Malibu 2.4L, which I take meticulous care of. A year or so ago, she complained that the car "sounded like a lawnmower" after a cold start, but the noise went away after the engine warmed up, no check engine light. We found the exhaust manifold/cat assembly split in two. After doing some digging, I found that this repair is still covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty up to 80k miles, so I took it to the dealer to get the repair done free of charge. There was a TSB/recall out on that manifold/cat assembly, but the complaint must be "check engine light" not "sounds like a lawnmower" for it to be replaced under warranty. That's easy enough, we unplugged an O2 sensor and ran it till it set a code, plugged the sensor back in, and drove immediately to the dealership. I told them this whole exact story and explained to the service writer that I do not intend on paying a dime for this repair. The service writer called me a short time later to inform me that "There is nothing wrong with your exhaust manifold, you just have a bad O2 sensor" and gave me a quote to replace it along with their magic beans list of add-on services such as power steering fluid flush, fuel system/throttle body cleaning, etc... I about hit the loving roof, I was so pissed off. I dropped what I was doing at the shop and stormed into the service department to show that cocksucker service writer this picture I took earlier:

I told him to tell the tech to pull the heat shield on the manifold/cat and tell me what the gently caress he actually sees, and to stop loving me around. The repair was then performed at no charge, and I told them to get hosed on their "preventative maintenance" aka profit padding non-services, which I'm not even sure they would perform if I agreed to pay for them anyway. The service writer came back 5 minutes later looking like a whipped dog, apologized profusely, and agreed to fix my problem under the federal 80k smog warranty.

I picked up a few new customers in the process of making this scene, to boot! :toot:

That's my one dealer story, and I mean no offense to legit dealer guys who do their jobs well.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I knew what this was before I even clicked it. :golfclap:

Just gonna dump a few lovely pics of the Blazer Xtreme and it's broken parts.

The cooling system was pretty disgusting. Big rear end crack in the plastic rad tank, lovely thermostat stuck open, and rad cap wasn't holding any pressure. Spark plugs on #3 and #6 looked oil fouled, probably due to the valve cover gasket leaks. We got it passed smog and billed out today, and left the customer with estimates to fix their intake/valve cover gasket leaks, lovely engine mounts, and front suspension control arm bushings. I stressed how nice I thought the truck is (and it is :allears: ), and that these repairs are not immediately necessary, but should be kept watch over if they plan on keeping the vehicle long term.

A loyal customer showed up with their '03 Taurus on a tow truck. True to form when dealing with Taurus transmissions, It won't go into any gear, at all. Very quick diagnosis, it's got a dead tranny. To replace the trans would be about $3k, and the car just isn't worth that. I told the customer as much, and I am looking for someone who wants to buy an '03 Taurus with a dead tranny for $200-$300. The customer went straight to the Honda dealer and bought a '14 Fit. That of course means I won't be seeing them any time soon, but I expect we'll get a ton of referrals from this. Juan from the hispanic mechanics next door has expressed interest in buying it, and I am now waiting on the customer to bring me a clean title, mostly so I can have my parking spot back.

We have a pretty big following of customers who work in various roles for Las Vegas Metro Police Department. Bike cops, detectives, office ladies, etc... Mark had bid on some of their Crown Vic squad car fleet work decades ago and must have impressed the poo poo out of somebody connected with the department, because we still to this day get retired and active Cops coming to us for a multitude of services. This particular retired bike cop owns a '04 GMC Sierra 3500, which he uses to tow his 5th wheel travel trailer. Cops have a lot of toys and gear, I have learned. Dealing with the poo poo they do in Las Vegas, no one has earned it more, in my opinion. This particular visit is in preparation for summer, his A/C blows hot. The system was full of freon, and all the mechanical A/C components are working as intended. At we at first suspected a bad A/C control unit (the box with the knobs and switches in the dash), but further diagnosis lead us to believe a bad temperature blend door to be the culprit. Inside the HVAC ducts there are what they call mode doors which control the flow of air (hot or cold) to whatever vents/defroster you select. There are also blend doors, which control a mix of hot and cold air to deliver the requested temperature of air you select. All of these doors are controlled by electric motor actuators. Mode doors (and their actuators) are usually buried deep in the dash, and require several hard, miserable, underpaid hours of labor to replace. We got lucky this time, the blend door actuator in question was rather easily accessible, under the glovebox.

Another new customer from the retirement community came by at the insistence of their "chat line" for us to check out their 2000 Toyota Avalon. Their complaint being a high speed shimmy that comes in at about 65mph.

This one's got rather high mileage for a retirement community car, sitting at 157k.

We took it for a spin, and indeed it does have a bit of a shimmy right at 65mph. I'm more impressed than anything that grandma even gets up to 65mph, but hey, we'll fix her car just the same. The tires look like they've ran at an incorrect tire pressure for a while, and the tread is now worn unevenly and cupped, causing part of the complaint. I say part of, because on the test drive we noted that it also has a brake pulse, so we tore down the front and rear brakes to inspect. Front pads were worn down under 10%, rears at about 75%, but all 4 rotors were warped. I suspect this customer is a two foot driver, just my hunch. We resurfaced the rotors all around and installed new pads on the front.

We threw the wheels on our wheel balancer of questionable calibration to verify our suspicion. I don't sell tires, the margins are too thin to waste my time, so they will be referred to the Discount Tire up the street from my shop. I refer customers to Discount because they only sell tires, and do not gently caress around with brakes or suspension work like many tire stores do. When I send someone out of my shop with a clean bill of health other than their tires, then the tire shop wants to sell them unnecessary brakes and suspension work, that creates confusion in the customers mind which is not good for business. Discount will install and balance the tires without any upsell, and I really appreciate that, so they get all my business. They also hooked me up with the sweet black steelies on my Ranger, and I consider the manager of that location to be a friend.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Weird that your Discount Tire isnt full service. All the ones Ive ever seen are. They at least do front end work for people getting alignments.

Edit: Nevermind, was thinking of Tires Plus.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 10, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrPain posted:

They also hooked me up with the sweet black steelies on my Ranger, and I consider the manager of that location to be a friend.

Are those Soft 8s? I've been thinking about picking up a set for a project.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think I have a poo poo blend door motor too on the suburban.... but I am also wondering if its calibration as well. Isn't there a sequence of unhooking the battery and turn if on etc etc?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had never seen this. The end of it is a bit morbid...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

alternate.eago posted:

I had never seen this. The end of it is a bit morbid...

Hi. 1997 calling. Its German.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

angryrobots posted:

What's the manufacturer on that hg test kit? I've seen the kits that test for combustion gases in the coolant (with a test strip I think), this is a more accurate version?

It's a Matco kit. The double chamber helps eliminate false positive readings, yeah.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are those Soft 8s? I've been thinking about picking up a set for a project.

They are Unique 297s.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think I have a poo poo blend door motor too on the suburban.... but I am also wondering if its calibration as well. Isn't there a sequence of unhooking the battery and turn if on etc etc?

I've never heard of calibrating mode doors, but on newer vehicles it wouldn't surprise me if the body control module has some kind of mode door procedure like you describe. If you give me year/make/model I'll scour my often incorrect repair information for you and post whatever I can turn up.

So it's A/C season, time to stock up on these fuckers before they're sold out.

The delivery driver that dropped them off is part Native Hawaiian, and he drives this awesome Tacoma that I just love to death. I was born and raised in Hawaii, so we always have a quick "EH BRAH" chat when he drops by.

We got this '01 Ford Expedition in, the complaint being starts, runs for 10-ish minutes, then dies. It had a check engine light code stored for P0232, indicating a fault in the fuel pump circuit. Time for some electrical fun, GENTLEMEN, START YOUR DIAGNOSIS!!

I'm so glad I bought a color laser jet. Ink printers don't do well with the shop dust, and working off black and white wiring schematics is hell. The first suspicion was inertia cutoff switch, which kills the fuel pump in the event of a serious accident, but that tested OK. Then we got the fuel pressure gauge (not pictured) hooked up to the fuel rail and the relay tester hooked into the relay panel to command the fuel pump on with the power probe. It built up fuel pressure quickly, as it's supposed to. We started the vehicle and let it run for a while at idle on the shop floor. 10 or so minutes later it started fluttering and dying out, and sure enough the fuel pressure was bleeding off. That was enough confirmation for us to condemn the fuel pump.

My father in law (our lead diag tech) flagged an hour of diagnosis, then turned the remove and replace wrench time over to newguy. He had the tank out in a snap, with a careful dose of supervision. The pump was replaced, and the tank re-installed. The truck now runs and drives as intended.

Remember when I said we get "streaky" where we'll do the same job on different vehicles for no apparent rhyme or reason? Yeah. It's apparently fuel pump week.

Next up is an '05 Dodge Ram 1500. The diagnosis on this was a little less complicated than the Ford, fuel was pouring out the top of the tank, and the smell was unmistakable.

You can see fuel stains on the tank here.

Dodge (Mercedes? Looks familiar.) pumps run fuel one way to the engine, and utilize an air separator built into the pump module to eliminate air bubbles in the fuel supply. The air separator on this module had cracked and would spit fuel all over the top of the tank when under positive pressure.

The customer who owns that '05 Grand Prix a few pages back must be some kind of GM fan. This is his wife's 2004 Monte Carlo SS INTIMIDATOR, complete with Dale Earnhardt's signature on the instrument cluster.

She keeps meticulous records of all her services and repairs in this folder, aptly labeled "CAR STUFF". I won't post the contents of it to spare the honor of the nameless chain shop she had been going to, but I will say that she had been getting hosed really hard for a long time before her husband had the sense to recommend her bring the vehicle to us. Why husband and wife would go to different shops kind of confuses me, but whatever.

Shes got the same engine as in his Grand Prix, only this one is SUPERCHARGED! :monocle:

The chain shop had been chasing oil leaks for a very long time, and were charging her over and over again to diagnose and fix (read: guess and replace) those leaks. It has been recently steam cleaned, and looks beautiful under the hood.

Her choices on interior decor, however... leave much to be desired. :eng99:

Anyway, it's losing oil out the valve cover gaskets. Not an easy chore with the supercharger in the way, about 5 hours by the book. They are scheduled in Wednesday of next week for the repair.

Would you look who showed up this morning for a brake job? Our favorite '78 C10 junk truck! :woop:

A relatively simple procedure, complicated by the rotor being mounted behind the hub. To re-install the rotor requires repacking wheel bearings, that added to the cost of the job.

I'm also entirely convinced now that posting ITT about some poo poo awful job is a curse on the shop. I made mention of A/C mode doors being a nightmare to replace, and would you believe that this loving 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 came in with a complaint of A/C inoperable only to find one or more mode doors not switching?

Yeah, me neither. But it did. :smithicide:

We can just about access all the mode doors with this amount of tear down, so the dash will not be coming out entirely.

But wait! There's more! The customer had one other complaint, fuel gauge inaccurate. I'll give you three guesses what our diagnosis led to.

Bad fuel level sending unit, part of the fuel pump module assembly. That'll be 4 loving goddamn fuel pumps this week, counting the Ranger. :suicide:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 11, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At least it's not like older trucks where the doors are all vacuum operated. Enjoy tracing vacuum lines through the dashboard!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

How is the new guy holding up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, gently caress HVAC systems forever.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress HVAC systems forever.

The worst part is I've had to pull a few full body harnesses and the dash and HVAC never come out in a simple procedure. Luckily it's all been on cars that AREN'T going back together so liberal 5lb hammer makes all right in the world again. gently caress everything to do with taking a dash apart all right and proper.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

c355n4 posted:

How is the new guy holding up?

Pretty good, actually. He's very eager to learn and takes direction well. When he's given a list of things to do then left to his own devices he can work independently. If he has any questions he stops and asks rather than make mistakes. When he doesn't have something to do he'll grab a broom or empty the trash without being told. When customers come in he shuts up and lets me do the talking.

No real diagnostic ability and he's fair with a wrench, but we can teach those things.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 11, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrPain posted:

Pretty good, actually. He's very eager to learn and takes direction well. When he's given a list of things to do then left to his own devices he can work independently. If he has any questions he stops and asks rather than make mistakes. When he doesn't have something to do he'll grab a broom or empty the trash without being told. When customers come in he shuts up and lets me do the talking.

No real diagnostic ability and he's fair with a wrench, but we can teach those things.

If he has the ability to learn, diagnostic abilities are only a matter of time and experience. "Creative" tool use will probably come along with that. It's good to hear he's doing well. Never let him forget that the internet is watching his every move.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think it's because I'm used to working on much newer vehicles than that, but seeing all those trims just casually chilling out on the paintwork makes my skin crawl.

Also, gently caress those merc-style fuel pump assemblies. I've never worked on a dodge but that looks very, very similar to certain mercedes models.

What sort of diagnostic equipment do you have for more modern cars. Handheld scan tool, or something laptop based?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I think it's because I'm used to working on much newer vehicles than that, but seeing all those trims just casually chilling out on the paintwork makes my skin crawl.

its not really a big deal in tatooine, seeing as how anything older than 5 years old the paint is absolutely FUCKT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

its not really a big deal in tatooine, seeing as how anything older than 5 years old the paint is absolutely FUCKT.

Yeah, look closer - the clearcoat is completely gone on that bed cover.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

DrPain posted:

Nice, I think we're all rooting for him.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hey, I also have a GM truck of that era with at least two AC door issues. Looks like I'll be fixing that never.

Thankfully the mild AZ summer is just around the corner. :suicide:

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
Having driven a shitbox nissan with no ac two summers in a row in arizona I can say that you get used to it. I hope your windows go down though.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Slavvy posted:

Also, gently caress those merc-style fuel pump assemblies. I've never worked on a dodge but that looks very, very similar to certain mercedes models.

What sort of diagnostic equipment do you have for more modern cars. Handheld scan tool, or something laptop based?

The paint can't get much worse, and it's good to keep all the pieces near the vehicle for reassembly. That's a good a spot for the dash parts as any. Probably cleaner than the shop floor, too.

We have a snap-on solus pro scan tool that is really quite powerful. I have a PCM specialist on speed dial when we're in need of dealer level access. He's got multiple laptops with all the right software, subscriptions, and scan boxes. His mobile service calls start at $150 and he can reprogram anything but Land Rover and Jaguar modules. He really knows his poo poo, super smart and helpful guy. The only downside is his schedule fills up fast and he has a tendency to flake out on appointments. I've considered buying the kind of gear that he's got so we're not holding a job up on his behalf, but I priced it out and it would take too much money somewhere north of $15k plus manufacturer specific timed subscriptions. Also I don't have his level of knowledge, which is equally valuable. For $150 per visit I'll be keeping him in the mix.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hey my Ranger paint is only spider cracked on the hood! :v:

WTFBEES posted:

Hey, I also have a GM truck of that era with at least two AC door issues. Looks like I'll be fixing that never.

Thankfully the mild AZ summer is just around the corner. :suicide:

Riscas posted:

Having driven a shitbox nissan with no ac two summers in a row in arizona I can say that you get used to it. I hope your windows go down though.

No A/C desert crew represent!!!

I installed new manual window handles in the Ranger this week, that's my idea of an A/C service. It's a mental game, bros. Learn to love the heat, it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I guess that's one way to look at it haha!

This wagon keeps tempting me with ac. Last year I had it going for a month, this year for a week. I think I'm going to say screw it and just tint the windows instead.

• Locked thread