Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

(after all, you don't think it was the Tory part of the coalition to go for same-sex marriage, do you?).

part of the Tory part.
it's a big split in the party, almost up there with wet / dry and pro/anti europe.
cameron and some others on the metropolitan wings of the party (who are disproportionally represented in the higher ranks at the moment) see same-sex marriage as both inevitable (so you might as well pass it and get the credit years down the line) and a useful way to detoxify the party which is still haunted by 'the nasty party'.

which isn't to say that the lib dem part weren't very important, maybe even vital, in getting it through.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Laws justified his theft of a huge sum of money as being a necessary part of his staying in the closet due to homophobia. Cameron stating he deserves a second chance on those grounds is part of the trend I highlighted.

Do you deny Laws used his being gay as an excuse for his theft or that Tory colleagues accepted and supported this defence?

More to the point do you even disagree with the trend I identified or are you just being pedantic?
i do disagree because your 'trend' is so tenuous.

i also think you're mischaracterising the Laws affair. unlike Miller he didn't take any more money that he was allowed to, but lied on the paperwork to hide his relationship. (not saying that's not wrong, he was right to go)

so if we summarise:
Miller - IDS claims that her political enemies (opposition & tory back benches) and media critics are only going after her because they want to punish her for same sex marriage because they are homophobic.
Laws - says he lied on paperwork because he didn't want his mum to know, doesn't explicitly call her homophobic but that's the implication. nobody - not Laws or anyone else - ever suggests that the opposition or media pundits calling on him to resign are motivated by homophobia.

so really, I'm not seeing the link
have i missed something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fluo posted:

He is however an Orange Booker. :vince:

how does it feel to be the only person to have read that (contributors excepted)?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

part of the Tory part.
it's a big split in the party, almost up there with wet / dry and pro/anti europe.
cameron and some others on the metropolitan wings of the party (who are disproportionally represented in the higher ranks at the moment) see same-sex marriage as both inevitable (so you might as well pass it and get the credit years down the line) and a useful way to detoxify the party which is still haunted by 'the nasty party'.

which isn't to say that the lib dem part weren't very important, maybe even vital, in getting it through.

To her credit, Theresa May was very enthusiastic about pushing LGBT rights in her first couple of years, but only due to Lynne Featherstone's junior portfolio in her department.

Really, Justine Greening should've got the job. She's one of the few competent ministers in Cameron's cabinet, and DfID are already doing a lot of work on international equality (which, again, is one of the better departments). That, and Lynne. :allears:

Secondly, DCMS becoming DCMSE means that Harriet Harman is now effectively the Shadow Minister for Equalities. And ten thousand trans women say "gently caress" at that idea.

Cerv posted:

how does it feel to be the only person to have read that (contributors excepted)?

I tried to read the Orange Book once. It was awful.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Another thing about the current Tory situation, I caught a brief mention whilst flipping channels about Farage planning to challenge Miller's Basingstoke seat. I can't find anything definitive to confirm this, but if by some act of a vengeful god he wins, that's Cameron who has had his chips. I have no desire to see even one UKIP MP, MEP, Councillor, or Neighbourhood Watchman, but if the current government create enough revulsion and groundswell for Nige to gain ground, then it has truly failed this country. I don't think it is likely, but the timing couldn't be better after two (pointless) public debates that Farage on most accounts bounded home, and just over a year of the Tories tearing themselves apart.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we will see Farage and boys in government, or even coilition, but I just do not want them to win one damned seat.

Don't worry, first past the post is good for one thing, and that's preventing new parties in to parliament. best they can achieve is splitting the tory vote :getin:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Oh jesus. That's what I get for giving them more credit for nous than they deserve. They could have had a bit of a media wank-fest and a tiny coup. Mind you, apparently big Nige is on HIGNFY this week, so thats going to be braying and hooting. The only politician I follow on twitter is Tom Watson.

Given that he's an MEP, could he even stand without resigning that "seat" first? And wouldn't doing so be the stupidest thing to do, ever.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SybilVimes posted:

Given that he's an MEP, could he even stand without resigning that "seat" first? And wouldn't doing so be the stupidest thing to do, ever.

I sort of assumed that would be the case, or perhaps his ego wouldn't stand a lost deposit. What did Cleggy do?

e: Clegg buggered off ('The argument for Europe can better be fought at home!' Huh? Not in the European Parliament?) to work for a Lobbying firm for a year in 2004 before getting selected in Sheffield. Thats some mighty fine lobbying.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 9, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SybilVimes posted:

He stood for Buckingham (the Speaker's seat) in 2010. Caroline Lucas was also an MEP when she won Brighton Pavillion in the same election; she resigned afterwards. But yeah, you can't double job between Parliament and either the European Parliament, and any peers elected to the European Parliament must take a leave of absence.

Trickjaw posted:

I sort of assumed that would be the case, or perhaps his ego wouldn't stand a lost deposit. What did Cleggy do?

Clegg was only a one-term MEP, from 1999 to 2004.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Trickjaw posted:

He could (and almost certainly will) run for Parliament without stepping down as an MEP; he'd only have to give up his European seat if he won. Last time he stood for Parliament, he got ~8k votes; there's no danger of him losing his deposit, and I'd say that he has very good odds of getting a seat in 2015. No one else in his party has much hope because UKIP is very much a one man show, but Farage is certainly well positioned to pick off a vulnerable Tory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Is everyone looking forward to receiving their taxpayer statement? It'll give you an ever so handy breakdown of how much tax you paid and how your money was spent by the government over the last year:

Wow, that big orange sector looks like it could stand to be trimmed a bit!
That chart's at least good for one thing, it puts the "all our money is going off to Brussels and BongoNot Racist Land when we can't even cover our own bills" arguments into some perspective (the perspective being the dustbin where they belong).

And at least they didn't call welfare or a section of it 'benefits'. The word welfare hasn't quite been tainted to the extent that it has in the US yet.

Cerv posted:

part of the Tory part.
As in Thatcherite vs. traditional/'compassionate', right? Not a contingent of Tories that supports prohibition of alcohol? Not that it would surprise me given the attitudes towards 'disorder' and 'poor people having nice things'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Curious about MP pensions and it seems very hard to find precise information. Does it start when they leave the House of Commons or not until they're 65 like the rest of us (for now :v:)?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

if they have been an mp long enough they get it right away, otherwise have to wait to 65

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Fabricant is actively whoring himself out for media ops and after dinner speaking on twitter, despite being a 'decent chap' and turning down Newsnight. Do they pay?

Good news for his constituents that he is so glad to be able to concentrate on their issues now.

Ooo tories :argh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

That chart's at least good for one thing, it puts the "all our money is going off to Brussels and BongoNot Racist Land when we can't even cover our own bills" arguments into some perspective (the perspective being the dustbin where they belong).

Uh Lemon Drizzle doctored that chart, here's the REAL one they don't want you to know about

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Needs more plane crash.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
http://www.buzzfeed.com/nigelfaragemp/12-reasons-you-should-vote-for-ukip-icrg

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Well that was not what I was expecting :lol:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I like that they put his sock and shoe back on before getting him out of the wreckage.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

the bare foot is the other guy

you can see both farage's feet (with the awful stripy socks) in front

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a correlation between bad policies and bad socks?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I bet Thatcher never wore socks.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Counterpoint: Jon Snow wears stripy socks and is a good dude.

(hooray I am free of my AI trainchat probation)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Freedom for Tooting indeed!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I so wish to type something snarky but David Cameron is on a mission from God.

quote:

David Cameron has claimed divine inspiration was at work when it came to drafting a key concept for Conservative Party policy.

Speaking last night at his Easter reception in Downing Street, the Prime Minister reportedly said he was simply doing God’s work when he launched the “Big Society” initiative of volunteering and civic responsibility.

“Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago,” Mr Cameron said. “I just want to see more of it.”

On the day that saw Culture Secretary Maria Miller resign over a furore about her expenses – despite repeatedly being back by the Prime Minister – Mr Cameron was said to have no comment on a singer’s choice of hymn: “Ave Maria”.

He went further than any recent prime minister in speaking publicly about his faith, according to Bloomberg News, and took the opportunity to offer his support to Britain’s Christian community.

“It is the case that Christians are now the most persecuted religion around the world,” Mr Cameron said. “We should stand up against persecution of Christians and other faith groups wherever and whenever we can.”

And offering his services to help the Church keep up its commitments to Jesus’s Big Society concept, he a little bizarrely compared himself to a company that unblocks drains.

“If there are things that are stopping you from doing more, think of me as a giant Dyno-Rod," he said.

Mr Cameron faced a backlash from his own Conservative Party MPs yesterday over the way he handled Ms Miller’s resignation.

Speaking after the soprano at the reception had finished her rather apt choice of hymn last night, the Prime Minister said: “The Bible tells us to bear one another’s burdens. After the day I’ve had, I’m definitely looking for volunteers.”

Yes, let's all line up to help shoulder poor David Cameron's troubles. :qq:

What is with this resurgence of Christianity with the tories?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just taking their :911: fanboyism to the next level.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Maybe they're gearing up for the election by courting the fundie vote?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Their PR people probably includes a few Americans. Activating the Religious Outrage vote worked wonders for Bush. I don't think the British electorate are primed for such a move but it seems they're working on it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
KPMG and Shelter have published an interesting report on "public attitudes to the economy, cost of living, and housing:" http://www.kpmg.com/UK/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/Documents/PDF/About/kpmg-shelter-research-slides.pdf

• The three issues selected as being most important in determining which party people would vote for in 2015 are the cost of living (chosen as a "top 3 issue" by 50% of respondents), the economy (43%), and immigration (34%)
  • 38% of respondents think the economy is recovering, but only 11% think that it is benefiting them
  • 69% say the recovery won't "feel real" until it becomes easier for young people to own a home
  • 46% say the level of taxation has become worse for young people in recent years (...how?), 63% say wages have become worse, 72% say youth employment prospects have declined, and 75% say the prospects of home ownership have become more remote for young people
  • At least 30% of all parents believe their children will require their help to buy a home but do not believe they will be able to provide such help. Only 19% of parents do not anticipate needing to provide help.
  • Labour is regarded as the most trustworthy party on housing issues (chosen by 28% of all respondents), followed by the Tories (21%), Lib Dems (8%), and UKIP (2%); "none of these" was chosen by 39%

There's also this somewhat amusing slide on the composition of the electorate:

The truest labourites: the affluent and cosmopolitan hand-wringing middle classes

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 10, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How are Christians the most persecuted faith in the world today? I hear it a lot but it never goes past "We can't burn witches practice our faith as openly with all these queers anti christian bigots"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

How are Christians the most persecuted faith in the world today? I hear it a lot but it never goes past "We can't burn witches practice our faith as openly with all these queers anti christian bigots"

You've just described Christians as witch burning homophobic bigots so maybe he's not wide of the mark?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fucks sake, the EDL are demonstrating outside my office window. A lovely sunny day and all I hear is fascist chanting though the window.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

You've just described Christians as witch burning homophobic bigots so maybe he's not wide of the mark?

Mate, you been to church recently?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

No he's saying those complaining about being persecuted are homophobic bigots.

And in the first world he's right.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I dunno about "most" persecuted faith but Christians do, in fact, get a genuinely raw deal in many parts of the world, suffering harassment, attacks and killings by those of other faiths especially in Africa from hardline Muslim groups.

Of course when American TV pundits talk about they are referring to the RISE OF THE GAYS.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Remind me again of the faith of the people we've been killing as a state for the last decade?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

The truest labourites: the affluent and cosmopolitan hand-wringing middle classes

I am a cosmopolitan critic. I hate that loving magazine.

Aside - how *correct* is DIY? On the one hand Homebase is the home of middle class couples arguing over wallpaper, but doing things yourself because it is cheaper is anti bourgeois.

As I am now officially unemployed after submitting my thesis decorating seems like a good outlet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
DIY isn't an ideological battleground ffs, if you want to do it then do it (just don't suggest that if wage slaves are struggling to make ends meet they should try living The Good Life to save money)

LemonDrizzle posted:

"Calm Persistence" aka "[recent conservative policy] isn't working and has never worked, obviously this means we need to do it harder"

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Cornwall and Devon are p nice. Think I might move here.

Go pull the levers in Penzance Signal Box for the rest of my days / until it is renewed in 2026.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sounds about right, in that they're the group most likely to vote en masse for the (current) Labour Party, having wobbled off Lib-Dem-ward at the last election.

A combination of Labour chasing the mythical middle (as the Tories pull that middle ever-Right), and Tory pandering to the xenophobe crowd and other divide-and-conquer strategies (Tebbit's "Basildon Man" idea really is the Thatcherite equivalent to the Southern Strategy), has meant that the working class are now probably about 50-50 between Labour and Tories of various colours. Of course Labour's reaction to that has been to cravenly copy Tory xenophobia, demonisation of people receiving benefits, and general worship of the Holy Market, which only makes the situation worse.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cerv posted:

It made me suicidal, the worst thing was being told "I Didn't Know What An Orange Booker" was during the general election. :negative:

I warned goons but it fell silent.

Pissflaps posted:

I bet Thatcher never wore socks.

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Truly nothing says persecution like the personal opinions of SA forums poster Gonzo McFee.

• Locked thread