Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

There was some play or something that I read about that was a big farce about how there were actually like five tries to murder Caesar much more secretly but they kept loving up and had to go 'gently caress it just stab him'. All I can imagine is after the next elections some tea party dude is just gonna tackle Boehner and try to force him away from the speaker podium or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah, sometimes incest is voluntary. Not sure what that has to do with anything tho...

It has to do with the idea (the GOP actually believes this) there there are all these sluts out there who just LOVE having abortions and will basically use anything as an excuse to have one!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Senate intelligence committee report is leaking

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/04/10/224085/cias-use-of-harsh-interrogation.html

PDF: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1109052/senate-intelligence-report-list-of-cia-findings.pdf

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
SEC caught colluding with the banks on CEO prosecutions

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/11/5602188/the-secs-just-been-caught-colluding-with-the-banks-its-supposed-to

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

*Clutches pearls dramatically* I do declare! Not those bastions of integrity and justice. What ever is the world coming to?

Also Vox got good fast.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm surprised they even bother prosecuting at this point since it's not like anyone can do anything about it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Except he's using "but as an adult, loving your adult cousin is a choice" as an argument to force underage girls to bear the children of their rapist fathers or uncles.

That's just a gift from God for enduring such a hardship. :freep:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

VitalSigns posted:

Except he's using "but as an adult, loving your adult cousin is a choice" as an argument to force underage girls to bear the children of their rapist fathers or uncles.

Yes, even extreme generosity with anti-abortion people doesn't get you to a palatable position, unfortunately. I mean, gently caress, last week some right-winger claimed that people are people before conception.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How is this different from the report that was released earlier in the week?

Is it ok to get pre-mad over the nothing that will happen about this or should I wait for the nothing to actually not happen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yes, even extreme generosity with anti-abortion people doesn't get you to a palatable position, unfortunately. I mean, gently caress, last week some right-winger claimed that people are people before conception.

Is this his way of saying "If you don't have sex with me that could be abortion"?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

greatn posted:

Is this his way of saying "If you don't have sex with me that could be abortion"?

Horrifyingly, I'm pretty sure he thinks that any menstruation after the first is technically abortion.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Is it ok to get pre-mad over the nothing that will happen about this or should I wait for the nothing to actually not happen.

You could always wait and get super mad when they try and explain how if they didn't do this the entire world economy would collapse and thus they had to cut them a deal.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BUSH 2112 posted:

Horrifyingly, I'm pretty sure he thinks that any menstruation after the first is technically abortion.

At the risk of peering more acutely into the abyss...why doesn't the first one count? And who are we talking about here?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

joeburz posted:

Sanders isn't pulling any punches now, god drat.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/koch-brothers

Ahahaha, god drat that is crazy. Repeal taxation, compulsory education, the postal system, and usury laws? Privitization of all waterways and water rights? The elimination of OSHA, EPA, FDA, and CPSC? Wow. :smith:

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Ahahaha, god drat that is crazy. Repeal taxation, compulsory education, the postal system, and usury laws? Privitization of all waterways and water rights? The elimination of OSHA, EPA, FDA, and CPSC? Wow. :smith:

Well, it is the Libertarian Party platform. I don't see how any of that is surprising.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

At the risk of peering more acutely into the abyss...why doesn't the first one count? And who are we talking about here?

On account of your fat uncle could be suffusing those precious eggs with the miracle of life.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

zoux posted:

should be the permanent thread title for US politics

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Not like the GOP isn't against moving goal posts so long as it fits their agenda (oppressing anyone not a white male here).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BUSH 2112 posted:

last week some right-winger claimed that people are people before conception.

What was this? I remember a few years ago they tried to change the date of conception formula, is this a new thing?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It has to do with the idea (the GOP actually believes this) there there are all these sluts out there who just LOVE having abortions and will basically use anything as an excuse to have one!

If the Bible is anything to go by the real crime of incest is that daughters drug their fathers and rape them.

Not only should we keep these slatterns from murdering these precious blesséd babies, but we should assume fathers are innocent and relieve these spermjacked men of any duty to pay child support for these worthless curséd babies.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

What was this? I remember a few years ago they tried to change the date of conception formula, is this a new thing?
In 2012 Arizona that passed a law that declared pregnancy to begin about two weeks or so before actual conception, thus narrowing the already-short window in which abortion is legal in that state.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In 2012 Arizona that passed a law that declared pregnancy to begin about two weeks or so before actual conception, thus narrowing the already-short window in which abortion is legal in that state.

It's based on the normal practice of counting your term from your last period rather than the actual date of conception.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

haveblue posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of the short-lived push to recognize gestational age as the operative quantity, i.e. you are already pregnant on the last day of your last period before the month in which you ovulate and conceive, so that the unborn child is already two weeks old by the time it comes into existence.

Which by the way is how they calculate your due date, whether you ovulate on day 14 or 11 or 17 of your cycle. No, it doesn't make any sense to me either but them's doctors for you.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

haveblue posted:

I remembered reading the article late at night on RWW and thought that it was some random SBC guy or something, but no. It was, of course, Gordon Klingenschmitt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bill of the year right here folks.

Also, the NSA has known about Heartbleed for awhile now.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 11, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

I actually am having a difficult time understanding where the collusion here is beyond the normal level of negotiations in reaching settlements? I mean obviously the SEC did not have good responses to the financial crisis but given the fact that Goldman was only charged with 17(a) violations (which does not require a showing of intent unlike other fraud provisions of securities laws) the SEC probably had flimsy evidence and wanted to put the Goldman case behind them while looking tough. More incompetence than conspiracy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

The first one doesn't count because the girl doesn't know that she's capable of making babies until she has the first one, by which point it's too late?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Jagchosis posted:

I actually am having a difficult time understanding where the collusion here is beyond the normal level of negotiations in reaching settlements? I mean obviously the SEC did not have good responses to the financial crisis but given the fact that Goldman was only charged with 17(a) violations (which does not require a showing of intent unlike other fraud provisions of securities laws) the SEC probably had flimsy evidence and wanted to put the Goldman case behind them while looking tough. More incompetence than conspiracy.

If Goldman genuinely settled all their pending CDO cases and not just a single case, this is something they should want to publicize, since it means they're not facing any further investigation.

Meanwhile, the SEC admitting to having settled all the CDO cases for a pittance per case would make them look bad, because it would be admitting that they weren't going to do poo poo about an obvious fraud.

That's where the collusion comes in. The SEC buckled and accepted a pittance for Goldman's fraudulent activities, but announced it as a settlement for only 1 specific case and lied to the public in claiming that the settlement had no impact on the other pending Goldman CDO investigations. The SEC gets to look tough for levying a major penalty for CDO activity (when they actually didn't), and Goldman gets off the hook for a whole range of criminal activity for the price of a relatively tiny sum of money and an agreement not to tell the public about how the SEC is openly lying about the settlement.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

gradenko_2000 posted:

The first one doesn't count because the girl doesn't know that she's capable of making babies until she has the first one, by which point it's too late?

That's what child brides are for: menstruation, not even once!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tomorrow's New Hampshire Freedom Summit looks to have about a 100% chance of producing some absolutely crazy statements.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Joementum posted:

By the way, the Senate is currently having a squabble because Republicans are refusing to waive the 30 hour post-cloture delay on a judicial confirmation vote that would occur tomorrow at 5pm with the delay and everyone wants to leave for a two week recess.

So did Reid pussy out on this? Looks like they adjourned and no votes are listed for today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amphion posted:

So did Reid pussy out on this? Looks like they adjourned and no votes are listed for today.

He did! Or, more likely, a bunch of Democratic Senators told him they weren't sticking around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

He did! Or, more likely, a bunch of Democratic Senators told him they weren't sticking around.

That's when you threaten their loving vacation. LBJ would not stand for this!!!

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Well 4+ months into the year and 3 whole circuit judges have been confirmed so maybe he shouldn't have waited until the last minute.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Whatever the date is, South Carolina is determined to be the first state to give that little guy the right to Stand his Ground.

quote:

The South Carolina Senate Judiciary Subcommittee voted 3-2 Thursday to approve the "Pregnant Women's Protection Act," a measure that would expand the state's "Stand Your Ground" law to permit pregnant women to use deadly force in defense of an unborn child, beginning at conception.

The logical next step would be to permit someone other than the pregnant mother to use deadly force to defend the zygote, or maybe first move to allow any pregnant woman to defend any unborn child.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

thefncrow posted:

If Goldman genuinely settled all their pending CDO cases and not just a single case, this is something they should want to publicize, since it means they're not facing any further investigation.

Meanwhile, the SEC admitting to having settled all the CDO cases for a pittance per case would make them look bad, because it would be admitting that they weren't going to do poo poo about an obvious fraud.

That's where the collusion comes in. The SEC buckled and accepted a pittance for Goldman's fraudulent activities, but announced it as a settlement for only 1 specific case and lied to the public in claiming that the settlement had no impact on the other pending Goldman CDO investigations. The SEC gets to look tough for levying a major penalty for CDO activity (when they actually didn't), and Goldman gets off the hook for a whole range of criminal activity for the price of a relatively tiny sum of money and an agreement not to tell the public about how the SEC is openly lying about the settlement.

It doesn't appear that the SEC halted all investigations into Goldman Sachs CDO/other asset backed securities fuckery leading to the financial crisis as Goldman states in its FY 2011 10-K that it received a Wells notice (basically a letter of intent to prosecute by the SEC) in February of 2012 over a 2006 offering of subprime mortgage backed securities. (Phone posting but 10-K is available in EDGAR). Given how long SEC investigations take, whatever case they received a Wells notice for in 2012 would have been ongoing at the time of the settlement. I think that less than an assurance that the SEC was going to quietly drop all CDO related probes, the SEC wanted to reserve the right to prosecute further if it developed strong cases and throw away the shittier ones. That email doesn't seem like a smoking gun to me, because the guy who sent it is the head of enforcement, which conducts investigations, not litigation after the SEC has gone public.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GlyphGryph posted:

Here's the thing about the Rancher guy - I am worried it will end up like another Waco, because the feds are playing this just as loving pants-on-head-retarded now as they did then.

The guy is breaking the law and refusing to follow court orders. Why the hell didn't they just arrest the bastard when they started? Why did they wait 20 years to start taking action against him? Why establish "free speech zones" and bring down the anger of the state gov, who was until that point letting them handle it? Why such an insane response, and why isn't it over yet?

I swear, the Feds end up getting this urge every so often to whip out their dick and wave it around, and drat the consequences, and if this goes south it's going to be entirely their fault for being super-incompetent. Again.

Innocents dying in Waco was bad but if it'd just been a few hundred militiamen, especially the white power neo-confederates that make up most groups these days, I'd have been perfectly ok with :commissar: Reno approach. We'd end up with a few more McVeighs though and the last thing we need is more white home grown terrorists angry patriots.

greatn posted:

Obama's pretty dumb asking for Sebellius resignation at this time. Now every headline is "Sebellius resigns over Obamacare troubles and website woes" when the website is working loving fine and they surpassed their sign up goals by over half a million and lowered the god drat uninsurance rate a ton.

But nope, media is back to "Obamacare had a bad website in October. Is failure." Weird how they remember back that far for healthcare.gov but forgot the government being shut down by Republican assholes for literally no god drat reason.

It's almost as if the GOP is better when it comes to controlling the narrative in the media. Who would've thought that largely passive and ineffectual democrats would lose in this matchup? :aaa:

BUSH 2112 posted:

Being extremely generous, I can imagine he's talking about people who choose to gently caress their cousins, and then want to get an abortion if they end up with a fetus that has genetic disorders. But, really he's likely just a horrible rear end in a top hat.

More states allow cousins of the opposite sex to marry one another than unrelated people of the same sex. Also consider just how many people in the GOP likely grew up as Dukes of Hazzard fans.

I'd be amazed if the NSA and other intelligence groups didn't know about Heartbleed. Something like that is a godsend to spy agencies.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

radical meme posted:

The logical next step would be to permit someone other than the pregnant mother to use deadly force to defend the zygote, or maybe first move to allow any pregnant woman to defend any unborn child.

Use of deadly force to prevent the spillage of seed upon the ground.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Onan's Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Tea Party candidate Chris McDaniel currently in the Mississippi GOP primary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbRKeDb-6E

quote:

Miss. Senate Hopeful Chris McDaniel Riffed on ‘Mamacita,’ Reparations

Republicans, still haunted by former Missouri Rep. Todd Akin‘s indelicate remarks about rape, live in constant fear that one of their own will do or say something that puts other GOP candidates on the defensive. Enter Chris McDaniel, a state senator in Mississippi who is challenging Sen. Thad Cochran in a contentious Republican primary. The former talk-radio host has a penchant for provocative remarks, and one detractor sent along a 10-minute clip from a radio broadcast in late-2006 or early-2007 in which Mr. McDaniel offered the following views:

–Discussing whether to pay the descendants of slaves, Mr. McDaniel said, “If they pass reparations, and my taxes are going up, I ain’t paying taxes.”

–On Mexico: “Why don’t we all immigrate south, let’s go to Mexico…You know, a dollar bill can buy a mansion in Mexico. And I think we all get together, go down there, build us a studio for like 26 pesos, uh and you know, put on a radio show right there in Mexico. Live the rest of our lives there.”

–Asked by someone else in the studio, “Do we have to learn Spanish?” Mr. McDaniel replied, “Yes, regrettably…You’ll have to learn just enough to ask where the bathroom is. Baños. Baños. That’s what you say.”

–Mr. McDaniel then asked someone to translate, “Do you have a sister?” “What about mamacita?” he offered. “Mamacita works….I’m an English-speaking Anglo. I have no idea what it means, actually, but I’ve said it a few times, just for, you know, fun. And I think it basically means, ‘Hey, hot mama.’ Or, you know, ‘You’re a fine looking young thing.’”

- Later, he weighed in on the momentary outcry over an ad released in international markets promoting the white version of a portable video-game console. The spot included a shot of a white woman and a black woman wrestling. “There’s a white woman, and she’s holding down a black woman. The world’s gone nuts. Listen to this. Minority groups in California screaming that the image is racist. ‘San Francisco politician Tom LeLand says ‘It’s racially charged, unnecessary and clearly offensive to our community.’ Well, she wasn’t holding down a gay guy.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/04/10/miss-senate-hopeful-chris-mcdaniel-riffed-on-mamacita-reparations/

• Locked thread